Home The Bridge
Options

Please help me understand skill order

Well, this is embarrassing. I’ve been playing this game a long time (captain level 82), I have plenty of success, but I still don’t really understand when skill order/sequence is important and when it isn’t. Can anyone either (a) explain it to me, or (b) link to a good explanation?

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring to faction shuttles? There was a bug or glitch or intentionality a year ago that shuttles requesting one skill AND another skill were giving massive preference to the first skill listed. This was proven on the forums. DB admitted to nothing, of course, but soon after the issue was proven, they did a massive update and the issue was resolved. I say resolved because in my own testing it is a non-issue anymore. I, personally, believe it is fixed and it does not matter which order you use on a shuttle with an AND. However, there are players who are convinced that it still matters. So far as I know, no one has done the same level of research that proved the issue in the first place. However anecdotal it may be, my own shuttles matter not at all which order I use. I assume you will get an opposite opinion from others. Listen to both and decide what works for you.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Basically as a David says, although i'm the type of editor who would put it "...and the issue seemed to be resolved"

If I see a COM DIP I try and put a COM primary and DIP secondary in that slot regardless, if nothing else other than to satisfy my OCD tendencies. Few exceptions if the crew is strong base in both primary and secondary, particularly after event bonus, for example Cornwell in a discovery event, she has over 1000 in both Dip and Med (X2) so I wouldn't be too choosy with the likes of her.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or do you mean the skill order as in, for some reason the latest update now shows a crew's highest skill level as the second, not the first, one displayed on the crew and shuttle screens?
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think the previous posts answer your question (as I read it, at least). I read your question as does Primary, secondary, tertiary matter?

Assuming my interpretation is accurate...

Assume you have this made-up crew...

CMD 1000
    SEC 800
    DIP 500

If you fill a shuttle seat with DIP and SEC, you will have a score of 925. You will also have 925 in a SEC and DIP seat. The order of the “and” does not matter. But your better skill gets a x1 multiplier while your lower skill gets a x0.25 multiplier. This is the case for both weekday and event shuttles.

For voyages, there are no multipliers applied.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of these responses! So to take just one recent example, when DB advertises for the current campaign that “Gloria's the only crew with the DIP/CMD/MED order of skills,” this has nothing to do with the visual order of the icons, but means that she’s the only crew to have DIP as her highest skill, CMD second, and MED third in order of decreasing numeric value?

And following up on calsnowskier’s example, for (let’s say) a DIP AND SEC slot in a shuttle, would a crew with DIP 800 and SEC 500 be just as good as a crew with DIP 500 and SEC 800?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    And following up on calsnowskier’s example, for (let’s say) a DIP AND SEC slot in a shuttle, would a crew with DIP 800 and SEC 500 be just as good as a crew with DIP 500 and SEC 800?

Probably. There was a bug that used to make Dip 800 Sec 500 and Dip 500 Sec 800 different for a DIP+SEC shuttle. Shan has acknowledged reporting the bug but has never admitted to any fix to the issue. Players testing on their own suspect the issue is fixed, but without an official answer from DB YMMV.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all of these responses! So to take just one recent example, when DB advertises for the current campaign that “Gloria's the only crew with the DIP/CMD/MED order of skills,” this has nothing to do with the visual order of the icons, but means that she’s the only crew to have DIP as her highest skill, CMD second, and MED third in order of decreasing numeric value?

That is correct.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"