Home The Bridge
Options

Messed up “Server down (Database maintenance)” notice

Just received a confusing ingame message about a scheduled database maintenance - server down - and it is not saying clearly, I feel it’s on Tuesday or Thursday ... BOTH day a real in the text :/

@Shan Can you please confirm, if the server downtime will be on TUESDAY or THURSDAY? (Don’t have a calendar at hand ...)

z4fnsw24qjiz.jpeg
Looking for a fine fleet? With the game having reached the age of a small child, players went and newly joined. We are an active fleet and are also connected in friendship with Klingons. Grab your daily starbase donations. Get your daily Fleet Boss Battles rewards guaranteed? Chat about Trek? Want more than just the game? Consider joining [TLA] "The Liberal Alliance"Contact me in-game [TLA] Khazaan or even better on the LINE app, handle also "khazaan".

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received a confusing ingame message about a scheduled database maintenance - server down - and it is not saying clearly, I feel it’s on Tuesday or Thursday ... BOTH day a real in the text :/

@Shan Can you please confirm, if the server downtime will be on TUESDAY or THURSDAY? (Don’t have a calendar at hand ...)

z4fnsw24qjiz.jpeg

Tuesday is the 12th. if date is right, I guess "Thursday" is a typo.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in the forum announcement as well. I'm sure Shan will fix both soon. :)

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/14916/scheduled-downtime-tuesday-november-12#latest
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these like prior maintenance periods where you automatically recall all voyages that are out @Shan ?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    It is indeed Tuesday, I cannot fix the in-game mail but it will be correct for the reminder that will be sent out on Monday. Sorry about that.

@Shan , with Gauntlets currently ending at 7PM EST, a 6AM - 7AM maintenance window is probably one of the more impactful times for players looking to start their gauntlet rounds for the day and lining up 4 hour blocks to finish just before 7PM. I understand that it likely can't be changed at this point, but in the future I hope you cant pick a different time.

If the maintenance had happened during DST, then 6-7 EDT with gauntlet ending at 8 EDT is less of an issue, so you probably missed the spike of activity if you were only looking at the last ~6 months of game logs.
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    I'm also asking if voyages will be affected. Or should we just plan ahead and not leave a voyage running during that timeframe?
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these like prior maintenance periods where you automatically recall all voyages that are out @Shan ?

Not this time, we will see about sending out a Revival Token afterwards.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It is indeed Tuesday, I cannot fix the in-game mail but it will be correct for the reminder that will be sent out on Monday. Sorry about that.

@Shan , with Gauntlets currently ending at 7PM EST, a 6AM - 7AM maintenance window is probably one of the more impactful times for players looking to start their gauntlet rounds for the day and lining up 4 hour blocks to finish just before 7PM. I understand that it likely can't be changed at this point, but in the future I hope you cant pick a different time.

If the maintenance had happened during DST, then 6-7 EDT with gauntlet ending at 8 EDT is less of an issue, so you probably missed the spike of activity if you were only looking at the last ~6 months of game logs.

Thanks for the feedback, I have passed it along.
  • Options
    It's 2019. How do you have a computer (or mobile device) but not a calendar?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

The most common typo to slip through is a real word. Someone just accidentally typed "Thursday" in one spot, instead of Tuesday.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Could the team please do something for European, African and Asian people regarding (edit) Arena Gauntlet before they consider not-even-first-world-problems? ;)
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been 20 months since Honor Hall got an update. Throw someone in there, pretty please?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options

Thank you for clarification. Tuesday it is!

Looking for a fine fleet? With the game having reached the age of a small child, players went and newly joined. We are an active fleet and are also connected in friendship with Klingons. Grab your daily starbase donations. Get your daily Fleet Boss Battles rewards guaranteed? Chat about Trek? Want more than just the game? Consider joining [TLA] "The Liberal Alliance"Contact me in-game [TLA] Khazaan or even better on the LINE app, handle also "khazaan".
  • Options

Having a calendar can not clarify, if a typo error is regarding the day or the date ...

Believe me ... I already had travel documents, where the day was right, but not the date. Could have also been Thursday 14 ...

But Shan verified the date ... so all is well.

• Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Could the team please do something for European, African and Asian people regarding Arena before they consider not-even-first-world-problems? ;)

I think it would be very difficult to make the arena reset time ideal for everyone (unless they let it run for 23 hours, so that it would end at a different time every day, but I guess that wouldn't be very welcome either).

But they could definitely do something for the gauntlet. Especially since the gauntlet rewards are potentially meaningful and there is an achievement tied to rank 1. For example, they could just let every individual gauntlet run for 48 hours from the moment it starts.
    With the current settings, I'm always asleep at least 2 or 3 hours before reset time.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

Could the team please do something for European, African and Asian people regarding Arena before they consider not-even-first-world-problems? ;)

I think it would be very difficult to make the arena reset time ideal for everyone (unless they let it run for 23 hours, so that it would end at a different time every day, but I guess that wouldn't be very welcome either).

But they could definitely do something for the gauntlet. Especially since the gauntlet rewards are potentially meaningful and there is an achievement tied to rank 1. For example, they could just let every individual gauntlet run for 48 hours from the moment it starts.
    With the current settings, I'm always asleep at least 2 or 3 hours before reset time.
    Sorry, I meant Gauntlet anway and not Arena, my bad. That was what the OP referred to too.

What you suggest is what I wish for and also suggested in „Make it so!“ some months ago.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options

The most common typo to slip through is a real word. Someone just accidentally typed "Thursday" in one spot, instead of Tuesday.

Oh, I get that. I meant the OP, who posted on a message board but said he didn't have a calendar handy.
  • Options
    I think it would be very difficult to make the arena reset time ideal for everyone (unless they let it run for 23 hours so that it would end at a different time every day, but I guess that wouldn't be very welcome either).
    Oh, I think, there could be some kind of "simple" fix.

Right now, the gauntlet lasts 48 hours and every 24 hours there is a time window to join - meaning on their server two gauntlet slots run similarly.

IF they would add 2 more "slots" - offset by 12 hours - basically maintaining 4 gauntlet databases simultaneously. This way, people on other continents could join a gauntlet at a more appropriate time and have a better possibility to aim for Rank 1 and the better rewards ... even through spending (which means its also a win/win for DB) ... instead of being asleep or not able to use a mobile at work or such as "Gauntlet Reset Time".

Gauntlet times, as it is: (UTC = Coordinated Universal Time = Internet Server Time)

November 8th - 00:00 UTC (12am) Gauntlet slot 1 starts
    people can join this stot to play for 23:50 hours
    November 9th - 00:00 UTC (12am) Gauntlet slot 2 starts)
    .people can join this slot to play within 23:50 hours
    November 10th - 23:59 UTC (11:59pm) Gauntlet slot 1 ends / new round starts
    November 11th - 23:59 UTC (11:59pm) Gauntlet slot 1 ends / new round starts

As it could be with 4 slots:

November 8th - 00:00 UTC (12am) Gauntlet slot 1 starts
    November 8th - 12:00 UTC (12pm) Gauntlet slot 2 starts
    November 9th - 00:00 UTC (12am) Gauntlet slot 3 starts)
    November 9th - 12:00 UTC (12pm) Gauntlet slot 4 starts)
    .people can join this slot to play within 23:50 hours
    November 10th - 23:59 UTC (11:59pm) Gauntlet slot 1 ends / new round starts
    November 10th - 11:59 UTC (11:59am) Gauntlet slot 2 ends / new round starts
    November 11th - 23:59 UTC (11:59pm) Gauntlet slot 3 ends / new round starts
    November 11th - 11:59 UTC (11:59am) Gauntlet slot 4 ends / new rounds starts

If that makes sense ... I hope it does.

@Shan Would this something you might suggest or forward to the development/marketing team?

That would be a great solution too and possibly easier to implement.

In the part of my post that you cited I was referring to the arena though. While the same problem exists in the arena, I don't think there's any simple solution there.
  • Options

Not this time, we will see about sending out a Revival Token afterwards.

So will there be revival tokens for voyages that we’re out at the time? I have a voyage that is still in limbo. I haven’t abandoned it and I haven’t used dilithium to revive it. Do I need to contact customer service or will there be an announcement about this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    They sent a token by email earlier today.