Home The Bridge
Options

Two little additions or one big new feature?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
DB is still working on the game by all indications that I see. But what are they doing back there? Mom, the meatloaf, $#@_&! Ok, Will Farrell reference out of the way... More importantly, what do you want them to be doing back there? Would you rather they work on one big new feature like a new event type or game mode or decrepit legendaries? Or would you rather they expand two existing game features like new collections, new achievements, expanded VIP, tweak ranked event rewards, remove trainers from gauntlet rewards, or such things?

Also comment on what specific change you would like to see. I'm genuinely curious.
Farewell 🖖

Two little additions or one big new feature? 58 votes

One big new feature
55%
Warrior WilloJeanLucKirkAviTrekSSR BarkleyRocpileeXo | das411Jim RaynorHaBlackNS111111Commander SinclairRENTANsexy_ladyguest_713177811525632guest_757423444811776[Deleted User]IronagedaveThurthoradCranky (SC) WebberoniMirror Cartman 32 votes
Two little additions to existing features
44%
Sabine of AthensZombie Squirrel [SSR] GTMETHungry Dog DDM(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]ThaiGQgregorytcmdrworfFrank?Gib - Admiral MarinersChaoticDNArobownage[10F] gobolts07 Ishmael MarxBylo BandProontAdiFox Van VoxPhantumMirrorVerse Jc 26 votes

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Out voted!

-edit-

I appear to be in excellent company however.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    A new event type would help break up some of the monotony people are feeling. Whether that means a heavily-reconstructed Expedition event, something based off of voyage or gauntlet mechanics, or something entirely new, I couldn’t say. Whatever form it takes, it would add some variation to our weekends and hopefully add more opportunities for strategic planning rather than button tapping.

Another major change that would be appreciated would be a redesigned ship interface. Many of us have been itching for the interface in the Build & Change Ships Screen to look more like the crew roster screen, where it is easily scrolled through and major stats are readily viewed at a glance. Likewise, being able to mothball ships like we can freeze crew, to help clear up the voyage ship selection interface, would solve a problem that only gets worse with each new ship release.

And an overhaul of the pack system is certainly something that should be on the radar as we race to having 1000 total crew. I prefer breaking up the premium portal pool into seasons, which should theoretically make it easier to add decrepit legendary crew to voyages or increase their drop rate in their season packs, but adding a higher-dil pack that has two guaranteed 4+* slots instead of one might not be too terrible either.
  • Options
    One big new feature
    New collections and achievements might give some fairly minor rewards, but the joy of those is temporary and short-lived. Same with tweaking gauntlet prizes. And VIP levels only help a fraction of the player base.

Events however have a constant and significant effect on the entire player base, and quite frankly, they're getting pretty stale these days. I'd much rather have a wider variety of things to DO, rather than things to win or to buy.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    I would have probably voted 1 big and 1 little, I think it is important to bring something new to keep the game fresh, but with there being a growing list of little irks they would need to continue on the little things as well one major thing.

Such as the ad reward situation it's still random and to avoid the hailing starfleet ring of death you have to pull the app after every ad reward you do and I have nearly thrown in the towel because of that alone.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    One big new feature
    I had a hard time deciding. It ultimately came down to the idea that bug fixes, minor tweaks, enhancements to existing features (ie: new collections) and QoL improvements should be managed regularly, on a standardized schedule (ie: quarterly or semi-annually). When DB comes out and says they are making changes to free up developer time, it should be for something new and significant to add value to the game, such as additional content (chapters/missions) or new event formats.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both! But since you forced me to choose...

I went with the smaller changes because they seem so easy (I have no actual idea how easy/hard they are to do) and because they keep the game current with ongoing content/gameplay.

To wit:
    - Updated/expanded collections
    - Expanded immortalization achievement
    - Gauntlet trainers replaced by incremental honor rewards
    - Event rewards - expanded 2/5 tier, bits of honor/merits/etc every 100K or so beyond 350K.
    - Visual indicator on crew card in vault for how many duplicate copies of that crew are frozen (maybe this is a "big" change?)
    - Ability to click on XP bar and get actual numbers for have/need (I'm lvl 99, so it no longer matters to me, but it would be nice for others)

• Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    It would depend what the little things were and how heavily they revamped them.

I mean, you could put a few characters in collections they belong in, add one new collection (let’s say Voyage Exclusives) and say you revamped collections.

Or you could put in like 10 new collections with some fun rewards (like Lucy Davenport in Holodeck Enthusiasts, for example) instead of just the same chron/honor/merit/credit stuff. Like maybe a Star Trek IV collection that you can get legendary George and Gracie from, for example. In addition, you can add additional tiers to collections that desperately need it (Vulcan, for example). Maybe if you get like 45 Vulcans immortalized, you can gain a stat boost for all of your Vulcan characters (for example.). That would also be considered revamping the collections.

Yet I would be in favor of the second improvement, but not the first. For me, the first would just be like, “Oh well, that’s nice, I guess,” but in the second example all the new collections and fun rewards would make me excited to hunt down and immortalize characters I don’t already have in order to make the collection. (I’d be all over the George and Gracie one, for example.)

So I can’t answer your poll for the reason that it’s not necessarily a small change (tinkering around with what’s in place) vs a big change (like developing a whole new event type) that matters to me, it is how much the change adds to the game in terms of fun, replay ability, and interest.
  • Options
    I realize and understand some players are getting bored and would prefer a new feature.
    But i must re-iterate IMHO, every new thing comes with new glitches or malfunctions.
    I would prefer repeatedly requested upgrades,
    1.decrepit legendaries,
    2.star-base upgrades including secondary 3.adm command position and more control for those command officers, less control for cpts.
    4.Expanded VIP, cpt lvl bonuses somehow, some way in combo to increase client loyalty rewards.
    5.Expanded achievement, collections
    6.Change all 10x premium portals to behold instead of straight 4* drop. The pool is so heavily diluted now, most 4* convert to honor.
    7.And lastly, balance honor earned vs. honor cost.
    8. Fix the in fleet chatting/msg system.

I know thats more than 2 or “a few” But it seems these are the most repetitive requests to improve existing play.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    A new event type is #1 on my list, but a new daily activity isn't too far behind it - something to do while the arena tickets are on cooldown!
  • Options
    3. In gane links to review the app in store...
    I have not seen the new app version but slightly disappointed reading the version notes. So much feedback has been given on bugs and minor changes to fix gameplay over the year i gave played. But the last 3 updates have made cosmetic changes that were never even mentioned in player feedback.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    Phantum wrote: »
    Slightly disappointed reading the version notes.

Likewise, as lil pieces included in a bigger update, ok, but not the way it is. Crew slot and Dabo Wheel sales are irregular happenings so I am neither concerned by the way it was before or is now. Also the other addition does nothing even remotely for our day to day gaming experience. Hopefully future client versions will be much more impressive...

• Options
    One big new feature
    I think it really depends on what the additions or the new feature are.
    But generally speaking, it would be nice to get something new, especially if it brings significant improvements for long-time players. A couple of new collections or achievements would be nice too, though :smile:
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the magic of the and.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
     Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
    Both pls
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I prefer the magic of the and.

Normally, I'm all about the "yes, and..." approach to life. Saw it in a Dungeon Master's guide and thought it was just a great philosophy in general. However... In a world of finite resources (because replicators are not a thing yet), choices must be made in the allocation of programming resources. The spirit of the poll is pretty much "which of these things would make you more happy as a player?"

For the rest of the @Matt_Decker 's out there, I am with you in wanting both. So if you had to choose which one DB does first, which would you choose? :) And feel free to say what you want second as well. The forum is a place for your opinion.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    Has DB given any indication that any serious development is underway for Timelines? As far as I can tell they are at most giving us quality of life improvements and edited rewards. The game population is falling and it seems to me that DB are treating Timelines as a cash cow from here on in. Costs are being minimised and revenues maximised (campaigns). The whales have mostly moved on to other things so they have moved down the food chain to get their money off the smaller fish.

Is this enough to keep the game afloat longer term? Is there a floor to which the population will fall and then stabilise. Will campaigns, monthly cards and the occasional special offer be enough to keep the lights on? These are the questions that I would love answers to. DB have for the most part been lowering expectations for a while now, it would not shock me, though it would sadden me, to see DB close up shop in the foreseeable future.

This isn't a troll post or a hate post. I love the game, I am delighted to see Kamala finally here and I've been galaxying away. But I do find some peoples optimism entirely without foundation. Do I want to be wrong on this? Yes, 100%. Nothing would please me more than DB to announce a big new feature and inspire confidence in the future of the product. But we're going to hear crickets....
  • Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Has DB given any indication that any serious development is underway for Timelines? As far as I can tell they are at most giving us quality of life improvements and edited rewards. The game population is falling and it seems to me that DB are treating Timelines as a cash cow from here on in. Costs are being minimised and revenues maximised (campaigns). The whales have mostly moved on to other things so they have moved down the food chain to get their money off the smaller fish.

Is this enough to keep the game afloat longer term? Is there a floor to which the population will fall and then stabilise. Will campaigns, monthly cards and the occasional special offer be enough to keep the lights on? These are the questions that I would love answers to. DB have for the most part been lowering expectations for a while now, it would not shock me, though it would sadden me, to see DB close up shop in the foreseeable future.

This isn't a troll post or a hate post. I love the game, I am delighted to see Kamala finally here and I've been galaxying away. But I do find some peoples optimism entirely without foundation. Do I want to be wrong on this? Yes, 100%. Nothing would please me more than DB to announce a big new feature and inspire confidence in the future of the product. But we're going to hear crickets....

I did a poll a while back (surprise! :P ) and the development that most people wanted was QoL/bug fixes. DB has given indication that they are working on those. So... They're listening to the players or they already had the pulse before I did my poll. So no, I'm not expecting anything to come from this poll other than finding out how players feel today.

You may not have intended to troll, but it took a little willpower not to respond as a troll. If you see no future in the game, that's on you. If you think the game is just a cash cow, then I have news for you: it is and always has been a business. The goal of every business is to make money. Luckily, I think the developers of this game give good entertainment value for the dollars that I spend. Do I still want more? Sure. Who doesn't? But again... Finite resources. See above.

All that said, I do appreciate seeing that you took the time to vote in my little poll. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Disco ongoing, Picard coming online, and a few other on-screen productions underway, I see no reason to think this game is in any danger of running out of new content. Whether new feature developments are in the works at DB is a different question, but if you enjoy the game for what it is now, you should still be able to enjoy it for the foreseeable future.

Granted, this is just me reading the tea leaves as I see them, so take it for what it's worth. (I believe the standard value assigned is 2 cents.) ;)
  • Options
    Fleet Management control tools, whatever category that falls under.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Disco ongoing, Picard coming online, and a few other on-screen productions underway, I see no reason to think this game is in any danger of running out of new content. Whether new feature developments are in the works at DB is a different question, but if you enjoy the game for what it is now, you should still be able to enjoy it for the foreseeable future.

Granted, this is just me reading the tea leaves as I see them, so take it for what it's worth. (I believe the standard value assigned is 2 cents.) ;)

I agree with you, and will add to it. Your average mobile game with borrowed combat systems and made up characters are constantly in danger of collapse because none of the players have any inherent loyalty to the game apart from meeting basic entertainment needs. Star Trek fans have decades of loyalty under our belts which ensures we will stick with a good Star Trek game as long as stays true to Trek, and I think DB understands and respects that. I don't care nearly the same for my rando battle priest in whatever other game nearly as much as I love Captain Janeway, and I think we all feel that way about Star Trek, which means as long as DB has even 1 employee and bandwidth, this game will endure.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature

I did a poll a while back (surprise! :P ) and the development that most people wanted was QoL/bug fixes. DB has given indication that they are working on those. So... They're listening to the players or they already had the pulse before I did my poll. So no, I'm not expecting anything to come from this poll other than finding out how players feel today.

You may not have intended to troll, but it took a little willpower not to respond as a troll. If you see no future in the game, that's on you. If you think the game is just a cash cow, then I have news for you: it is and always has been a business. The goal of every business is to make money. Luckily, I think the developers of this game give good entertainment value for the dollars that I spend. Do I still want more? Sure. Who doesn't? But again... Finite resources. See above.

All that said, I do appreciate seeing that you took the time to vote in my little poll. :)

I always vote in the polls, I appreciate them and the opportunity to have the players voices heard (even if it is just a vocal minority on the forums).

Businesses exist to make money (this is not news to me). However, this can happen by profiting from outcomes aligned with their customers or profiting from outcomes that risk antagonising customers.

My preference would be for a constantly developing game, offering exciting game modes and the opportunity to expand the use of our ever growing crew. It's always bothered me that we kit our crew and then freeze them instead of having some use for them. On top of the 100s of frozen crew, I have 265 crew slots of which I regularly use less than 60. This is just bad game design (or lack of game design).

The worst case scenario is that DB are knowingly on a path to shutdown because of license costs or some such, and so are therefore not interested in developing the game for that reason. Alternatively it could simply be the case that due to staff churn that they are not able to iterate on many aspects of the game because the codebase has become problematic for newer developers or some such.

Whatever the reason, the strategy that they are employing seems to be based on maximising short term cash flow at the expense of longer term investments in the game. This is troubling to me precisely because I do like the game and have an interest in its continued existence. At the end of the day, Star Trek or not, when the revenue falls below it's cost base, that's it, it's done. Right now, DB don't seem to be doing anything to raise that revenue number, except trying to milk it's existing playerbase for the same old same old every week.

I've been banging this drum for a long time now. The lack of real development is not a new thing, we are now several years down that road. I still spend on the game despite these misgivings, because I agree that it's worth my entertainment dollars, but I am becoming increasingly pessimistic about the games future. What I really want more than anything else are some assurances from DB that our worst fears are not around the corner and that they are as enthusiastic about the game as some of its players are.
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big new feature
    The new game update, 7.3.0, seems to promise disappointingly little.

- I dont have to reboot the game at the start and end of slot/gauntlet sales.

Doesn't mean much when I have to reboot several times a day because the game cant keep track of network changes and loses connection to the server as it stands.

- Easier for me to leave an app store review.

Meh.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    One big new feature
    My preference would be for a constantly developing game, offering exciting game modes and the opportunity to expand the use of our ever growing crew. It's always bothered me that we kit our crew and then freeze them instead of having some use for them.

Alternatively it could simply be the case that due to staff churn that they are not able to iterate on many aspects of the game because the codebase has become problematic for newer developers or some such.

This is troubling to me precisely because I do like the game and have an interest in its continued existence. At the end of the day, Star Trek or not, when the revenue falls below it's cost base, that's it, it's done. Right now, DB don't seem to be doing anything to raise that revenue number, except trying to milk it's existing playerbase for the same old same old every week.

I still spend on the game despite these misgivings, because I agree that it's worth my entertainment dollars, but I am becoming increasingly pessimistic about the games future. What I really want more than anything else are some assurances from DB that our worst fears are not around the corner and that they are as enthusiastic about the game as some of its players are.

Fully agree. Although it doesn´t even need to be problems with the code. DB has a small team as you know yourself. And as they stated they have quite a few games in development. Plus other projects going on. It really feels like these things are their priority and not STT anymore.

But I would gladly be wrong about this. I enjoy this game, since we love Star Trek it is like our personal sandbox where we can play with our favourite characters. As ByloBand pointed out that aspect seperates it from many other games for us.

But as you said: Some euphoria from the team (like before the release and in the beginning), something fresh gameplaywise would make me more confident about the future perspective of STT...