Home Strange New Worlds

STD Season 3 Short Treks

Since season two and the beginning of Short Treks I’ve been rather fond of the new show. They dealt with some of the problems that Trekkers like myself hated and mostly made everything so that it wouldn’t end up interfering with previous TV/movie canon too much. Don’t get me wrong; there are still PLENTY of problems (klingons for example) and the show can always do better. Hiring more veteran Star Trek actors would be a good start I think.

Anyhow, I decided today to go check out whatever Short Treks they had out yet and discovered that there are currently three ready to be watched. So I started the first one; The Trouble with Edward I think it’s called. About 2 or 3 minutes into the episode and I had to turn it all off.

Discovery has sometimes made absolutely appalling choices thus far. Not starting out with a solid and apparent ensemble bridge crew/cast, making the Klingons look like space orcs, using anachronistic technology, and, of course, messing with Spock canon, albeit in an indirect way. Luckily, most of these things can be overlooked or gotten over and I expect I’ll eventually be able to get through this issue; mainly by purging its existence from my memory core.

Overall, it’s a small thing they did, and obviously meant to be lighthearted and fun. Nevertheless, I find it insulting and aggravating in the extreme. Why? Because it implies that the people writing for this new Star Trek show have never watched actual Star Trek. So what’d they do? They messed with the tribbles.

Tribbles are just one of those aspects of Star Trek that are so ingrained in the culture of the shows/movies, that even people that have never watched any of Trek know what they are and what they do. They’re little purring fuzz-balls that do nothing but eat and reproduce. They were introduced in TOS, expanded on in TAS, and further made glorious by DS9. Other shows have had them in cameos and talked about them, and so we know already what they are, what they do, and even what their ecological purpose is.

Alas, Discovery has decided to crap all over this. I haven’t completely watched the episode, because as I said I was just disgusted by the notion, but what was said and implied was that the Tribbles reproduce very slowly and could possibly be used as a good source for starving planets if their genetics could be made to enable them to reproduce faster. I told you it was a little thing.

This is basically something only a die-hard Trekkie is going to get irritated by, but there you have it. They’ve implied that Starfleet messed with Tribble genetics and made them into the menace that caused the Klingon Empire to declare war on them. I’m certain I’m not the only crazy Trekker that has a problem with this, primarily because TOS and TAS. This flies in the face of what was introduced in the 60s and 70s.

Anyhow, I’m through ranting for now. I really just need to get this out there so I’ll stop internalizing my building anger at such a small, malign thing. Enjoy the oddity of it.
Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally get where you’re coming from. I haven’t watched them but that would annoy me too. It annoys me that Spock all of a sudden had some step sister. It annoys me that at the end of season two they explained the lack of everything they did and had as everyone was sworn to secrecy. It annoys me there are time crystals but no where else in the Star Trek world are they ever thought of. I do like the show but things like that are not the stuff of Star Trek. By that I mean going way far out of the realm of Star Trek. I mean come on. A universal super speed highway created and sustained by mushrooms and navigated by a giant dust mite? Again, I do like the show but I’m not so sure they should have associated it with Star Trek. They should have just made it some new show called Discovery and left the Star Trek part of the name out
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I totally get where you’re coming from. I haven’t watched them but that would annoy me too. It annoys me that Spock all of a sudden had some step sister. It annoys me that at the end of season two they explained the lack of everything they did and had as everyone was sworn to secrecy. It annoys me there are time crystals but no where else in the Star Trek world are they ever thought of. I do like the show but things like that are not the stuff of Star Trek. By that I mean going way far out of the realm of Star Trek. I mean come on. A universal super speed highway created and sustained by mushrooms and navigated by a giant dust mite? Again, I do like the show but I’m not so sure they should have associated it with Star Trek. They should have just made it some new show called Discovery and left the Star Trek part of the name out

Lol. I said something very similar when the show first came out. Basically that it was a Sci-fi show with some Star Trek affectations. It sometimes has a bad habit of falling back on those kinds of patterns I’ve noticed. I’m not sure if it’s the writers, producers, or directors or some combination of them all, but whatever the case, they need to stop doing that.

They got a lot right in season two; way more than they did in season one, and I would love for them to continue the trend of making it seem like an actual Star Trek show, and not just an homage or parody. The tribble Short Trek was funny and fun to watch in a way (I DID finish it) but it all felt more like a parody of Star Trek rather than actual Trek. That’s been consistently my primary problem with the show; that and the Klingons.

I agree with you that I like the show. I liked season one and I liked season two even more, but it’s just so often that it feels like the people involved in making the episodes have no real love or respect for all that is Star Trek. The Abrams movies were a lot like that as well. Good, great at times even, but still with the lingering suspicion that it’s all being done as a stepping stone to something else entirely.

I dunno; maybe I’m just overthinking simple television, as usual. Maybe I take Star Trek too seriously. Maybe I’m too nitpicky about weird details. Who knows?
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Lol. I said something very similar when the show first came out. Basically that it was a Sci-fi show with some Star Trek affectations. It sometimes has a bad habit of falling back on those kinds of patterns I’ve noticed. I’m not sure if it’s the writers, producers, or directors or some combination of them all, but whatever the case, they need to stop doing that.

They got a lot right in season two; way more than they did in season one, and I would love for them to continue the trend of making it seem like an actual Star Trek show, and not just an homage or parody. The tribble Short Trek was funny and fun to watch in a way (I DID finish it) but it all felt more like a parody of Star Trek rather than actual Trek. That’s been consistently my primary problem with the show; that and the Klingons.

I agree with you that I like the show. I liked season one and I liked season two even more, but it’s just so often that it feels like the people involved in making the episodes have no real love or respect for all that is Star Trek. The Abrams movies were a lot like that as well. Good, great at times even, but still with the lingering suspicion that it’s all being done as a stepping stone to something else entirely.

I dunno; maybe I’m just overthinking simple television, as usual. Maybe I take Star Trek too seriously. Maybe I’m too nitpicky about weird details. Who knows?

If you are then I am cuz I have the exact same thoughts.

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew I was going to hate this thread when I saw "STD" in the title. I was not let down. The Trouble with Edward is hilarious. Office Space in space, lol.

But since your panties are in a wad, I'm going to push you even further, @Zann Calcore . Lorca > Kirk Yep. I said it.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I knew I was going to hate this thread when I saw "STD" in the title. I was not let down. The Trouble with Edward is hilarious. Office Space in space, lol.

But since your panties are in a wad, I'm going to push you even further, @Zann Calcore . Lorca > Kirk Yep. I said it.

I could go with Discovery next time if that makes you more comfortable @Prime LorQa [10F] . As I said, I thought I was funny too; however, I was also irritated with it for stated above reasons. Finally, good for you. Glad you like Lorca; me too. I personally like Kirk better though I’d say Picard or Janeway or Sisko would be my favorite. If Lorca is your favorite, more power to ya. Feel free to provide more comments.

P.S. - I generally use the recognizable initials of a show to denote it. For instance, TOS for The Original Series, TNG for The Next Generation. I’ve consistently used STD for Discovery simply because it’s shorter than Discovery and also happens to be the initials of the show; Star Trek Discovery. I am NOT trying to equate the show to a venereal(sp?) disease.