Home The Bridge
Options

New 4* in Vault - Transporter Chief Rand

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Speaking of transporter chiefs, I was rewatching the TNG episode The Wounded and in it we see Transporter Chief O'Brien's former captain, Captain Maxwell, and Maxwell says that O'Brien was his tactical officer on the Rutledge. The best he ever had. So O'Brien had a job equivalent to Worf's as tactical officer and then he goes from a role of importance to being the dummy that spends 8 hours a day standing in a tiny room with no windows doing almost nothing unless someone is getting beamed over and he is not even given a chair to sit in. It isn't even the only transporter bay on the Enterprise. What a sucky job for someone so talented. We then see in DS9 he is chief engineer of the whole station and that his engineering skills are second to none. But we never saw him helping Lt. Commander LaForge in engineering even when the whole ship was severely damaged and time was critical. The Enterprise clearly did not utilize the chief well at all which likely is the blame of Riker as he assigns duty shifts. So the question is, why did Riker hate Chief O'Brien? Did Riker secretely love Keiko and was mad that she ended up with O'Brien? Did O'Brien once sit in Riker's chair or hit on Troi before he was with Keiko? Can O'Brien secretely play the trombone song Night Bird perfectly which just rubs Riker the wrong way?

He went from this
    fm7rkaa2qbp9.jpg
    Rank of an ensign, to this
    n6hvsw50wwxm.jpg
    A full lieutenant, higher rank than Worf when he became security chief, which was lieutenant jr. grade
    r596y637mhb1.jpg

Then when he left Enterprise he had an..... Idek what rank this is but I suspect it is an enlisted rank which is lower than an ensign
    3yra4xsmzck3.jpg

I don't think the writers or prop people ever figured O'Brien was going to become more than just a background character like Kyle was in TOS. Either way he has a very strange starfleet career XD
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

Not even ST:IV???

Death to the blasphemer!

The one with the whales? That was god awful!!

I will fight you and anyone who "awesomes" your post.

What's next? Are you going to insufficiently praise STII?!?!?!

I'm with you on STII, while dated it's a fun watch.

For me ST:IV was a horrible story designed to forcibly shoehorn political hot topics of the time (save the whales) into Star Trek. Seriously? A whale tank on a starship? It's not like that was just passively mentioned a couple of times, it's the primary storyline. Come on, how can you ignore that nonsense?

I agree Scotty's moments of computer humor were funny, but I can't remember anything else I enjoyed in that movie. Bones' typical irrational whining about something the whole time (primitive medicine, when he had travelled back in time...) is irritating to me not funny. To be fair, I was not alive during airing of the original so I'm missing nostalgia that others would obviously have for the original crew. While Shatner's acting is laughable, I still love Spock.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of transporter chiefs, I was rewatching the TNG episode The Wounded and in it we see Transporter Chief O'Brien's former captain, Captain Maxwell, and Maxwell says that O'Brien was his tactical officer on the Rutledge. The best he ever had. So O'Brien had a job equivalent to Worf's as tactical officer and then he goes from a role of importance to being the dummy that spends 8 hours a day standing in a tiny room with no windows doing almost nothing unless someone is getting beamed over and he is not even given a chair to sit in. It isn't even the only transporter bay on the Enterprise. What a sucky job for someone so talented. We then see in DS9 he is chief engineer of the whole station and that his engineering skills are second to none. But we never saw him helping Lt. Commander LaForge in engineering even when the whole ship was severely damaged and time was critical. The Enterprise clearly did not utilize the chief well at all which likely is the blame of Riker as he assigns duty shifts. So the question is, why did Riker hate Chief O'Brien? Did Riker secretely love Keiko and was mad that she ended up with O'Brien? Did O'Brien once sit in Riker's chair or hit on Troi before he was with Keiko? Can O'Brien secretely play the trombone song Night Bird perfectly which just rubs Riker the wrong way?

He went from this
    fm7rkaa2qbp9.jpg
    Rank of an ensign, to this
    n6hvsw50wwxm.jpg
    A full lieutenant, higher rank than Worf when he became security chief, which was lieutenant jr. grade
    r596y637mhb1.jpg

Then when he left Enterprise he had an..... Idek what rank this is but I suspect it is an enlisted rank which is lower than an ensign
    3yra4xsmzck3.jpg

I don't think the writers or prop people ever figured O'Brien was going to become more than just a background character like Kyle was in TOS. Either way he has a very strange starfleet career XD

I read through the notes on his rank on Memory Alpha and you’re pretty much right - they didn’t really solidify his background until he met Sergei Rozhenko, where they wanted both characters to be non-commissioned officers so they could better relate to one another. Commentary from The Wounded and various points in DS9 retcon O’Brien as an enlisted man from day one, early TNG season wardrobe issues aside.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

Death to the blasphemer!

For me ST:IV was a horrible story designed to forcibly shoehorn political hot topics of the time (save the whales) into Star Trek. Seriously? A whale tank on a starship? It's not like that was just passively mentioned a couple of times, it's the primary storyline. Come on, how can you ignore that nonsense?

I agree Scotty's moments of computer humor were funny, but I can't remember anything else I enjoyed in that movie. Bones' typical irrational whining about something the whole time (primitive medicine, when he had travelled back in time...) is irritating to me not funny. To be fair, I was not alive during airing of the original so I'm missing nostalgia that others would obviously have for the original crew. While Shatner's acting is laughable, I still love Spock.

If you are speaking about the United States, the ban on whaling was not a hot topic political issue. The United States had banned whaling in 1972. The ban on whaling internationally was ratified in 1982 and went into effect in 1986 with a few exceptions that were to be regulated. Republican President Ronald Reagan was in support of the ban as were the Democrats. Star Trek: The Voyage Home came out in 1986. By the time the movie came out the ban on whaling was established international law. Just because the Republican Party today hates the environment and is actively trying to destroy it does not mean that they were always so opposed to the environment. Teddy Roosevelt created the National Park system and protected 230 million acres of public land and Richard Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Death to the blasphemer!

If you are speaking about the United States, the ban on whaling was not a hot topic political issue. The United States had banned whaling in 1972. The ban on whaling internationally was ratified in 1982 and went into effect in 1986 with a few exceptions that were to be regulated. Republican President Ronald Reagan was in support of the ban as were the Democrats. Star Trek: The Voyage Home came out in 1986. By the time the movie came out the ban on whaling was established international law. Just because the Republican Party today hates the environment and is actively trying to destroy it does not mean that they were always so opposed to the environment. Teddy Roosevelt created the National Park system and protected 230 million acres of public land and Richard Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

It sounds like you're saying you think the writers actually thought time travel for the purpose of transporting whales on a starship would be a compelling storyline entirely unrelated to the very high profile "save the whales" media coverage and greenpeace activism that took place for a large part of the 70's into the early 80's? While it might not have been a current hot topic by 1986, of course the majority of the movie's audience would be very familiar with that environmental activism from the not too distant past. I don't think you could argue that was not a major influence in choosing the main story line for the script.

Unfortunately for current audiences who were not alive or were very young in the 70's, this topic seems extremely out of place in a science fiction movie. I am trying to think of something equivalent, maybe like making a Star Trek movie about Swine Flu, Enron, Hurrican Katrina or the dot com bubble? For me this is an equivalently nonsensical topic for science fiction.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Death to the blasphemer!

It sounds like you're saying you think the writers actually thought time travel for the purpose of transporting whales on a starship would be a compelling storyline entirely unrelated to the very high profile "save the whales" media coverage and greenpeace activism that took place for a large part of the 70's into the early 80's? While it might not have been a current hot topic by 1986, of course the majority of the movie's audience would be very familiar with that environmental activism from the not too distant past. I don't think you could argue that was not a major influence in choosing the main story line for the script.

Unfortunately for current audiences who were not alive or were very young in the 70's, this topic seems extremely out of place in a science fiction movie. I am trying to think of something equivalent, maybe like making a Star Trek movie about Swine Flu, Enron, Hurrican Katrina or the dot com bubble? For me this is an equivalently nonsensical topic for science fiction.

Stories about reintroducing extinct species are nothing new in SF and the real subtext isn’t specific to whales, it’s about conservation and protection of endangered species. That’s just as important now as it was in the 80s, regardless of how much climate change has dominated environmental discussions in the last 10-15 years.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Death to the blasphemer!

I was saying that the ban on whaling both in the US and internationally was already established law when The Voyage Home came out. You called it a "political hot topic of the day (save the whales)" but the vast majority of the world was behind the save the whales movement. I would not call it a "political hot topic." It was a topical storyline as the ban on whaling had just come into effect but not a controversial one unless you are speaking about the whaling of Japan, Russia, or the Inuits. You could perhaps say it was a limited international issue but both the Republican and Democratic Parties were for the whaling ban so it is not a controversial political topic if that was what you were meaning. As a side note, I found some cool facts about The Voyage Home movie with interesting facts like that originally there was a line saying Saavik was not on the ship because she was pregnant by Spock. https://www.startrek.com/article/the-voyage-home-30-facts-for-30-years
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Really sooorry to re-rail this thread on topic. ;)

Waiting was a good choice as I got a Rand on my second pull today. I think this pattern just means I need to exercise restraint on Tuesday, and wait for a couple days before trying those Tuesday pack pulls....
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Really sooorry to re-rail this thread on topic. ;)

Waiting was a good choice as I got a Rand on my second pull today. I think this pattern just means I need to exercise restraint on Tuesday, and wait for a couple days before trying those Tuesday pack pulls....

Interesting. Sometimes though if you open them up first you get some sort of error in your favor and get extra of that legendary. Cool that you had good luck though. Congrats!
    Let’s fly!