Home Ready Room
Options

Advanced Gauntlet Tactics

2»

Comments

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    fjr70ihzkvs3.png

I HAVE REACHED 20,000 GAUNTLET ROUNDS!!! BOW BEFORE MY AWESOMENESS!!!

Or, you know, don't. :D

So, here I am, finally with my free star on Locutus (his third). And during this big push I got three more stars for Red Angel and that second star for Locutus. Even got a sixth star for Armus in my 20K winnings (airlocked him, as a second copy wouldn't be useful for me). So not a horrible showing in terms of crew drops...

But...always a but: I still have a Gauntlet white whale - the Caretaker. I never got him. Twenty thousand rounds and no Caretaker drop. Since he is the only elite Eng card in the Gauntlet, this is really frustrating. It was annoying to play around a card that I had no answer for; whenever a Eng-Med round came up, I had to pass it. But I guess I need to keep quoting to myself Kirk from ST III: Search for Spock: "Sorry about your crew, but as we say on Earth, c'est la vie."

In the spirit of this thread, which is to figure out advanced tactics for the Gauntlet, let me share two I've found. First, and it was a surprise for me, is that the key to placing well, and lots of rounds, is to be consistent with how often you play. In the last 2+ months of playing like this, I never finished outside of the top 10 and was routinely in the Top 5. So: 10 rounds every 4 hours should be your goal, and you should do it a minimum of 5 times a day. If you can do that, you'll get over a thousand rounds in just over two weeks and a very high placement. I ended up finishing the achievement a month faster than I had planned; it really is a great strategy.

The other tactic, and I wish I had done this: get yourself Kahless. I never got him but he was a constant thorn in my side with COM battles. He also consistently got a crit bonus (too often great ones). Debating if I should invest now but I'm planning on taking a long vacation from the Gauntlet. I may never play it again.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    I cleared 20k about this time last year. After 15k rounds and only 8 gold drops, I pushed aggresively for the last 5k rounds, getting a top 10 every gauntlet along the way. Those last 5k rounds dropped more golds than the first 15, with most of the drops in the top 10 crates.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve avoided Kahless on purpose for a long time now, having looked at his overall usefulness (voyages and gauntlet) and decided that 300k honor wasn’t worth it to immortalize him. I’ve been fortunate in having every single strong COM gauntleteer other than Admiral Clancy, and by way not seeing too many of the gauntlets where Kahless matches all three traits. And even when those come up, Revolutionary Damar hits two out of three of those and can hold his own when I am careful with choosing my opponents.

But for people who don’t have the same bounty of riches in terms of secondary options for that skill, I can see Kahless being worth the price of admission.
  • Options
    I can attest to this ... i have no regrets about investing in Cpt Beverly and Kahless , they have joined my gauntlets many many times ..
    The only regret i have was citing Beverly & Caretaker to 5* 1week before the honor sale last year with all the bonus citations and discounts ...
  • Options
    Gotten so many duplicates of Armus, don't know how many. Have doubles of: Armus , Bartender Guinan, Caretaker, Locutus. Only 2 copies of Red Angel to date. You have to get all the big gauntlet crew, but most are almost worthless for other use. If you want to get #1, it almost always costs dilithium (which I have never spent any in the gauntlet. All but one gauntlet crew came in non top finishes. Use a timer to catch more rounds.
  • Options
    All cards you mention here regularly attend a voyage seat on my journey's ..

I even had it occur a few times that i could send out Armus in 2 seats, but this was quite a while ago for the last time ... which is what happens when the roster improves i suppose ..

Currently sitting it 2 FF and 3* Armus , FF and 2* Guinan, FF and 1* Caretaker and last but not least a FF Locutus

The sheer joy of getting any of the cards and the improvement they could do for me at the time gave me no regrets in immediatly citing the cards up and getting their best use on voyages immediatly.
    As i mentioned i immediatly and still have regular use of the crew on voyages .. and Locutus immediatly is invaluable in Arena/Skirmish ...