Home The Bridge

Just another(?) Gauntlet-Rant

How exactly are Gauntlets working? Especially "critical" hits?
Just look at my Phlox' medical results. How is it even possible to do a critical with 518 points and then he gets 743 without a crit?

h3f3e3ldiapr.png
Serving with Battleship Texas [BBTX]

Comments

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phlox has a very large roll range. Ignoring starbase/collection bonus differences, he ranges between 261 and 913.

It looks like you were using a tired phlox so his numbers were slightly lower.

But if he rolls 261( or the 238 you got on a non-crit) and it crits to double, you'd get 476.
    His high end of 913 can be rolled without criting, so that's how you got 743.
  • (In case that explanation didn't help) --

The number doesn't determine whether it's a crit. The chance of getting a crit (some people have a 25% chance, some have a 65% chance, etc.) is "rolled" separately. IF you get a crit on any of your 6 numbers, then that number gets doubled.
  • I asked CS about the definition of a critical hit. Many of use would think that a “critical” hit would be a potential game changing hit. I wondered how a critical hit that remains within the standard range of the character is “critical”, and not just a standard hit... It is less than desirable to get so many critical hits, and yet lose a match.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked CS about the definition of a critical hit. Many of use would think that a “critical” hit would be a potential game changing hit. I wondered how a critical hit that remains within the standard range of the character is “critical”, and not just a standard hit... It is less than desirable to get so many critical hits, and yet lose a match.

One thing I've considered tracking just for my own amusement is how often these wimpy crits occur on offense vs defense, the OP image perfectly captures the Gauntlet experience, where the defender gets a single near-max crit and wins.
  • ByloBand wrote: »
    I asked CS about the definition of a critical hit. Many of use would think that a “critical” hit would be a potential game changing hit. I wondered how a critical hit that remains within the standard range of the character is “critical”, and not just a standard hit... It is less than desirable to get so many critical hits, and yet lose a match.

One thing I've considered tracking just for my own amusement is how often these wimpy crits occur on offense vs defense, the OP image perfectly captures the Gauntlet experience, where the defender gets a single near-max crit and wins.

Also a bit in conjunction with this is that it always seems I get more crit hits with fresh crew but as they fatigue they get less crits or wimpier crits so it sort of deceives me... #onlyplayinggauntlettogetthatlocutus@20k
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I forget in which thread the following chart was first posted, but here's some math:

n9yyq03hscja.jpeg
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Hmm, regarding the math: I believe you are right.
    I, too, have noticed that the defender often wins with one ridiculously high critical blow. But maybe this is just a feeling
    Serving with Battleship Texas [BBTX]
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

"Critical Hit" usually has some kind of multiplier to the Damage. In this game, like many others, that multiplier is times two.

A 26 hit that Crits and does 52 Damage is a Crit, just like a 760 hit that Crits and does 1520.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the "new math" where 1+1= square root of pi* cosign of 7,983 + 9.82 meters per second squared/the atomic weight iron - the number of kids in the class * the length of recess + the cost of a burger in the cafeteria (squared) + the proficiency roll of the card - the number of people in your fleet/the price of tea in China....... ;)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Does the price of tea get converted to U.S. $ or does you leave it at how much yuan. Also how much tea? Just want to have an accurate number.