Home The Bridge
Options

Legendary More Likely than Useful Super Rare (Or Why the Portal Needs a Change)

I've run some rough numbers and come to the conclusion I am more likely to get a Legendary card than I am to get a useful Super Rare from a standard Premium Rewards 10x pack.

For a little background, historically I have tried to go after pack-only SRs in the past, typically only one copy for collecting purposes. I have acquired all copies of SRs available in events for quite some time. At this time, there are only 6 SRs I need in the portal:

Tarquin (currently 3*)
Admiral Ross (currently 3*)
Vice Admiral Dougboy (currently 3*)
C.O.P. Founder Archer (currently 2*)
Captain Janeway (copies needed for Evolved Janeway)
Mutated Paris (same)

There are currently ~300 SRs in the game. Let's assume 270 of those are in the portal. With only 6 SRs useful to me, that means each SR drop has a ~97% probability of not being useful to me. A SR behold has a ~93.5% probability of being all fused, ~6.5% probability of at least one useful option.

Similarly, there are ~350 Legendaries, so let's assume there are ~300 in the portal. I have 21 FF (a few of which themselves are not yet in the portal). Each Legendary drop has a ~7% probability of not being useful to me. A Legendary behold has a ~0.03% probability of being all fused, 99.97% probability of at least one useful option.

Conservatively assuming EVERY guaranteed drop I get from a 10x is a SR or Legendary behold, based on a 90% probability of getting a SR behold and a 10% probability of a Legendary behold, I'm looking at:

90% x 6.5% = 5.9% chance of useful SR
10% x 99.97% = 9.997% ~= 10% chance of useful Legendary

I'm nearly TWICE as likely to get a Legendary I can use than a SR I can use. It gets even worse for the other 9 pulls in the 10x pack. Using the given probabilities:

5.06% x 6.5% = 0.33% chance of useful SR
1.27% x 99.97% = 1.27% chance of useful Legendary.

Nearly FOUR times as likely to get a Legendary I can use than a SR I can use.

Assuming most players clear thresholds each week, the above seems like it's not terribly far off for many others. If you don't chase any pack SRs, perhaps your useful SR count is more like 9 or 10. At 10 useful SRs in the portal, you're looking at about even odds between a useful SR and a Legendary. Around 20 useful SRs in the portal, you're still only about twice as likely (~20%) to get one.

And all of that pales in comparison to the staggering fact that for me, it still means that a whopping 84% of packs are just complete busts. No useful crew, just a handful of honor and a few schematics to throw in the replicator. This ballooning portal is really starting to show it's effect.

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean. The only 4* crew I haven’t immortalized are pack-only crew not in the portal (One Zero, Zero One, Buck Bokai, Flotter, Trevis, Indignant Seven, Rigel VII Vina, Protomorphosis Riker, Transporter Chief Rand, Solbor, and Safecracker Nog) and Colonel Worf (the target of my next three campaign 4* citations). It took almost about three months after the last update to get the final star I needed for Dougherty and then that was it...just honor, a few kinds of schematics, components for Evolved Janeway, and 5* crew to look forward to from now until the next update.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. Getting a SR I need is more of a surprise then getting a Begold or Legendary drop. It's at the point where even Elusive Treasure's isn't even worth it as I would just be shooting for a legendary, knowing I won't get a SR I need.
  • Options
    There are similar games that I play that add all cards to the premium packs the moment they are released in the game or within one week. The economics of the game still work just fine, IMO. I don't know how much that would change things here as far as the possibility of getting something useful. But I also think that the premium packs could be split offering a super premium that is 10X more likely to drop a legendary, at a higher cost. Perhaps.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are similar games that I play that add all cards to the premium packs the moment they are released in the game or within one week. The economics of the game still work just fine, IMO. I don't know how much that would change things here as far as the possibility of getting something useful. But I also think that the premium packs could be split offering a super premium that is 10X more likely to drop a legendary, at a higher cost. Perhaps.

That exists. What do you think the 6500 dil pack is? It's guaranteed to drop a legendary.
  • Options
    I've been having the same problem and I've argued for a higher legendary drop rate in the past. Thanks for running the numbers to quantify the problem.

I think it would be in DB's own interest to increase the legendary drop rate. A lot of long-time players run into the problem that there isn't anything to do between events, meaning there is no goal you could work towards. Leveling new crew and finishing collections could be such a goal that keeps players motivated and engaged. It certainly would be for me.
  • Options
    This is a consequence of reaching "end-game" in STT currently. We've built up such a collection of SR crew for events, many of us can easily rank in any event if we have the time available. Frankly, it does not matter much when they release new SR crew anymore for me because I have so many variants of everything, missing one would have little impact.

The only reason for me to do pulls (or buy them) is potential legendaries. SR's are just fodder at this point, and not even worth spending dil during a faction event because I don't need them 4/4 to rank. I'm kind of confused that people are surprised by this, most games have an "end game" phase when you're so well equipped you're only chasing the most elite/rare characters/equipment remaining.
  • Options
    I'm kind of confused that people are surprised by this...

Not sure anyone is expressing surprise. Certainly not me (OP). Just illustrating through the numbers how boring this end game is.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's where new events and crew come into play. I am curious Lucky Number Hat how you complete faction event super rares? Do you buy packs? You said you had no use for the legendaries. Do you airlock them?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a consequence of reaching "end-game" in STT currently. We've built up such a collection of SR crew for events, many of us can easily rank in any event if we have the time available. Frankly, it does not matter much when they release new SR crew anymore for me because I have so many variants of everything, missing one would have little impact.

This is becoming especially true for Discovery events, where the bonus crew lists are getting overly inflated.

It makes me wonder...given how many events recently have had humongous bonus crew lists, if a new Faction event were to come out with a limited crew list, or if there was a re-run of Ready to Rumble, how would people react? Relief at not having to thaw dozens of bonus crew or torches ‘n’ pitchforks for not having “enough” bonus crew?
  • Options
    Just to repeat some great ideas i have read in other threads.

1. Change legendary beholds to a 4 crew selection. For those who commonly come across the all 3 already FF issue,
    2. And/Or if a legendary is air-locked, give a legendary citation instead of honor.
    3. Change all SR Drops to beholds, again changing the behold to a 4 choice process instead of 3.
    4. Increase the drop-rate of all SR and legendary crew since the pool is so diluted.
    5. Increase drop-rate and add more older crew including decrepit legendaries in voyages.

Just some of the good ideas i have seen floating around the forums for quite a while now.
  • Options
    That's where new events and crew come into play. I am curious Lucky Number Hat how you complete faction event super rares? Do you buy packs? You said you had no use for the legendaries. Do you airlock them?

I have a lot of SRs at 3*s right now, just that none of them are in the portal at the moment. When the portal gets updated next, my number of "useful SRs" in the portal will jump, then burn back down as I fuse up those that I need one more star on. Right now, we are at a point where I have all the Faction SRs that the portal has to offer. In general, though, I use the campaign 4* citation on the next Faction SR after I receive it. I do not buy packs.

For the Legendary part, I think you may have misread or I was unclear. Only 21 Legendaries are not of use to me (i.e. I have them FF). I consider all other Legendaries useful. I am yet to either airlock or dupe a Legendary.
  • Options

1. Change legendary beholds to a 4 crew selection. For those who commonly come across the all 3 already FF issue,
    2. And/Or if a legendary is air-locked, give a legendary citation instead of honor.
    3. Change all SR Drops to beholds, again changing the behold to a 4 choice process instead of 3.
    4. Increase the drop-rate of all SR and legendary crew since the pool is so diluted.
    5. Increase drop-rate and add more older crew including decrepit legendaries in voyages.

Just some of the good ideas i have seen floating around the forums for quite a while now.

Perhaps and expansion of item 2, when a Legendary Behold is all FF, you have the option to take a 5* Citation instead of a dupe? For an all FF SR behold, maybe not a 4* Citation (since fusing event SRs is, I'm sure, a huge part of DB's income), but a large Honor bonus? 2000 bonus Honor? 5000?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

This is becoming especially true for Discovery events, where the bonus crew lists are getting overly inflated.

It makes me wonder...given how many events recently have had humongous bonus crew lists, if a new Faction event were to come out with a limited crew list, or if there was a re-run of Ready to Rumble, how would people react? Relief at not having to thaw dozens of bonus crew or torches ‘n’ pitchforks for not having “enough” bonus crew?

Both!

Put me solidly in the list of people who would rather not thaw out 20 crew.

But the last time this happened we had plenty of people complaining, "I don't have enough bonus crew for my shuttles".
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

Both!

Put me solidly in the list of people who would rather not thaw out 20 crew.

But the last time this happened we had plenty of people complaining, "I don't have enough bonus crew for my shuttles".

Yeah this already happened not too long ago, though it escapes me what the crew were. Megas tend to have a LOT more faction event crew, while faction/hybrids in between megas usually have significantly smaller lists of variants. Especially since you gain more during the mega.

I think it's a good idea to keep both scenarios, so that newer players with smaller crews see some improved ability to compete, while there are also some events where veterans benefit more so they feel there was some benefit for their time playing.
  • Options
    MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Perhaps and expansion of item 2, when a Legendary Behold is all FF, you have the option to take a 5* Citation instead of a dupe? For an all FF SR behold, maybe not a 4* Citation (since fusing event SRs is, I'm sure, a huge part of DB's income), but a large Honor bonus? 2000 bonus Honor? 5000?

Another good idea. And to expand on that, how about combine and upgrade items 2&3 with your idea.
    Make all SR beholds, and add a fourth option to all SR and legendary beholds, the fourth option being a cite every time. Then u can choose one of three crew as the system is now, or choose the equal value citation in the event the optional crew dropped are already FF.

Aside from the mention of event crew, a SR should be of the same value as a cite. I see your point on new event crew not released to portal yet, but even then as mentioned above the pool is so diluted the chance of getting a straight drop of the Few SR event crew you may need is not likely anyway. Once you get to that point in the game most of your SR are already complete.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting a legendary citation from airlocking a legendary would be catastrophic.