Home The Bridge

Arena/Cadet Challenge cooldowns.

Shan wrote:
Once all players are on 7.4.0 (this will require a force upgrade): Battle Arena and Cadet Challenges will no longer require any cooldowns!

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/15280/v7-4-0-release-notes#latest

Thank you Shan and team. For me this is much appreciated.

Comments

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very appreciated.
  • Interesting.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I like this change, it's also going to make the last 5-10 minutes before the arena award deadline even more of a bloodbath than it already is! You can already climb or drop 1500 spots in a matter of minutes, ahead of the deadline.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    While I like this change, it's also going to make the last 5-10 minutes before the arena award deadline even more of a bloodbath than it already is! You can already climb or drop 1500 spots in a matter of minutes, ahead of the deadline.

I'm concerned about this, too. It also gives an even greater advantage to those who are in time zones that are awake at the time the arena ends.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • That is a good change. Thank you DB.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t mind waiting for the arena cool down. It’s only a few minutes. As for the cadets I feel most people do the wait for the double up ad thing so it wasn’t as necessary any longer. I do concur with the above sentiments that this will prolly mess with people’s ability to stay in the top 1% at the last few minutes. I personally don’t need the next three months ships schematics but when I do it could get frustrating
  • pirunapiruna ✭✭✭
    With this change it's totally pointless to play the arena if you aren't awake 10 minutes before the reset.
    Thank you DB.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Certain players who were given this latest update while the rest of us were not are creating a laboratory of sorts in Arena, and I am VERY much not in favor of removing the Arena cooldowns, but I had no opinion on it before yesterday.

At 9:00 PM local time the dailies reset, meaning everyone gets their Arena tickets restored to full and the usual mad rush ensues where people try to snipe their way up the leaderboard before rewards are tabulated at 10:00 PM local time (this BTW is a seperate issue but equally anchored in BS, but I digress).

Last night when this happened I went from rank 181 in Admiral, a rank I worked all day to secure at 9:00 to rank 2,153 in less than 5 minutes as all the people who no longer have cooldowns to slow them down just unloaded attack after attack as the dailies reset. Meanwhile I had to win a fight to back to the 1,600 range and then wait 3 minutes to fight again, and during that time I fell several more tiers waiting for my cooldown to end. I had to spend the majority of my hour between 9 and 10 doing Arena battles every 3 minutes to fight off the swarm of players unfettered by similar cooldowns, which was to say the least, frustrating.

The entire experience really hammered home the the Arena cooldowns are important as their absence (for some people) had a serious destabilizing impact on the leaderboard - which granted was only possible because the dailies reset an hour before rewards are tabulated which is the real problem.

In conclusion, if Arena cooldowns are no longer a thing now, then that hour gap between daily reset and Arena rewards needs to be closed; rewards need to be tabulated as the dailies reset to "reward" the players who worked hard all day to hold their spot, not the lucky few who happen to be awake for the lawless hour after the reset who are now free to fire off all 10 battles in a matter of minutes since there are no cooldowns anymore.

Also, Shan, in the future, if something this drastic to the PVP system (removing Arena cooldowns) is changed it is REALLY unfair to not have it apply to everyone at the same time, the players who are still subject to the old system are at a MASSIVE disadvantage.
  • I haven't fallen out of the top 1% in over 3 months (and even then, it only happened because I was sick for a week and didn't play for that week), and I don't even do all 10 tickets a day. I'm not overly concerned by this change at all.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bad :p
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    In conclusion, if Arena cooldowns are no longer a thing now, then that hour gap between daily reset and Arena rewards needs to be closed; rewards need to be tabulated as the dailies reset to "reward" the players who worked hard all day to hold their spot, not the lucky few who happen to be awake for the lawless hour after the reset who are now free to fire off all 10 battles in a matter of minutes since there are no cooldowns anymore.

That doesn't change anything. If the reward and re-set is kept in sync, then players will save their tickets and still play in the last hour. Players who want to fight for rank will use their tickets just before reset, just like players who fight for gauntlet save their last round until just before the gauntlet ends. What time the tickets reset doesn't matter.

Your issue really is arena ranks need to less aggressively drop you on a loss and/or the AI needs to do a better job defending.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Certain players who were given this latest update while the rest of us were not are creating a laboratory of sorts in Arena, and I am VERY much not in favor of removing the Arena cooldowns, but I had no opinion on it before yesterday.

At 9:00 PM local time the dailies reset, meaning everyone gets their Arena tickets restored to full and the usual mad rush ensues where people try to snipe their way up the leaderboard before rewards are tabulated at 10:00 PM local time (this BTW is a seperate issue but equally anchored in BS, but I digress).

Last night when this happened I went from rank 181 in Admiral, a rank I worked all day to secure at 9:00 to rank 2,153 in less than 5 minutes as all the people who no longer have cooldowns to slow them down just unloaded attack after attack as the dailies reset. Meanwhile I had to win a fight to back to the 1,600 range and then wait 3 minutes to fight again, and during that time I fell several more tiers waiting for my cooldown to end. I had to spend the majority of my hour between 9 and 10 doing Arena battles every 3 minutes to fight off the swarm of players unfettered by similar cooldowns, which was to say the least, frustrating.

The entire experience really hammered home the the Arena cooldowns are important as their absence (for some people) had a serious destabilizing impact on the leaderboard - which granted was only possible because the dailies reset an hour before rewards are tabulated which is the real problem.

Also, Shan, in the future, if something this drastic to the PVP system (removing Arena cooldowns) is changed it is REALLY unfair to not have it apply to everyone at the same time, the players who are still subject to the old system are at a MASSIVE disadvantage.

@ByloBand -- I've had days like this on Arena in the past -- I fell more than 3000 spots one day -- and others where I've barely moved over the course of the day. Same ship, same crew, even in the same week. I'm not sure if this is due to RNG putting me up more often that day as a potential opponent to choose, or if some days people just like to pick on me. I did recently change my lineup to make my ship a better defender, and that has helped . . . a little.

All that said, I remain concerned this change could have unintended consequences. We'll have to wait and see.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this will help DB sell campaigns.
    Farewell 🖖
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing arena from the "daily requirement" would be great. Then people who really WANT to compete can, and the rest of us can relax. Removing the timers is next best thing (for me) so thank you DB :)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we have to wait and see how this plays out. We're just speculating here; it could have serious consequences or none at all. Or, more likely, it'll be like a FB format change: first day, howls of outrage; and in a week we're so use to it we say "what format change?". My gut reaction is, there will be a difference but we'll adapt to it quickly.

Keep in mind, there's always lots of movement in the Admiral Division, particular in the top 100 spots (you simply can't expect to maintain a static ranking there; this is from a solid year+ of exp trying to maintain a Top 1% ranking). All that while the Captain and Commander Divisions can be fairly stable over days. This may change that, or it may not; we'll have to wait and see. Keep in mind, the difference between a clean sweep of Top 1% ranking vs a clean sweep of Top 10% ranking for a month (assuming 30 days in a month) is 600 schematics, or four extra portal ship pulls; generally speaking, not a huge difference.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)