Home The Bridge

Is it just me, or did the Arena get really competitive?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
So... I have this "strategy" in the arena. I find a rank where I think people won't attack me and I chill there. Usually I don't move much - 1,000ish places at most. Today in admiral division, I dropped 1,000 places, so I fought back up. Only to drop 2,000 places some hours later. I can't remember the last time I slipped that far. Then I saw another anecdote (Bylo) where a captain slipped further than normal.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
And did the top 1% just expand by a couple spots in the last couple days?
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• Yes more competitive I beleive. Seems like people must just need to complete the cardi ship. I bet it trails off closer to end of the month. I used to hit #1 several times a day, but since the new month I am lucky to hit #1 2-3 times a day.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 months ago, the top 1% in Admiral was 843 spots. today, it is 713. Presumably, we did not lose 13,000 competitive players, meaning roughly the same number of competitive Arena players are battling for 130 fewer spots.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    3 months ago, the top 1% in Admiral was 843 spots. today, it is 713. Presumably, we did not lose 13,000 competitive players, meaning roughly the same number of competitive Arena players are battling for 130 fewer spots.

Sure would be nice if they expanded the top rewards a little to account for that. Plus more players having the most popular ships maxed, plus Garth of Izar to hit those top ranks. Just a thought.... Maybe give top 2% the top tier of rewards.
    Farewell 🖖
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I do the same thing and stay around 2500-3000. It's become a real pain. The zones are much much tighter and the schematics are desirable.

My free account has it worse. There I only want to stay around 6500 and have to play 7 or 8 times to manage it.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • I haven't found it any more difficult than it has been. I've hit top 1-5 (I only care about the credits) 3-5 times a day and collected 100 or 120 schematics each day, depending on the day. Which is about the same as it ever was.
    I haven't found it any more difficult than it has been. I've hit top 1-5 (I only care about the credits) 3-5 times a day and collected 100 or 120 schematics each day, depending on the day. Which is about the same as it ever was.

That seems like a fair assessment, <Tuvok> however </Tuvok>, for those of us that have made an effort to finish in the top 1% for the 120 schematics, it has gotten much more difficult in recent months, I believe that is the core of what @Prime Lorca of Izar is positing.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't found it any more difficult than it has been. I've hit top 1-5 (I only care about the credits) 3-5 times a day and collected 100 or 120 schematics each day, depending on the day. Which is about the same as it ever was.

That seems like a fair assessment, <Tuvok> however </Tuvok>, for those of us that have made an effort to finish in the top 1% for the 120 schematics, it has gotten much more difficult in recent months, I believe that is the core of what @Prime Lorca of Izar is positing.

Garth has made a lot more people competitive.

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens every new month if people don't have the ship complete. There suddenly are more players competing for the new ship and arena gets competitive. As you get through the month and more players complete the ship the competition relaxes. If a month has an old ship, then it's really chill.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would be nice if they expanded the top rewards a little to account for that. Plus more players having the most popular ships maxed, plus Garth of Izar to hit those top ranks. Just a thought.... Maybe give top 2% the top tier of rewards.

Faction Events:
    Players: DB should make rank rewards a percent like in Arena so adjusts for the change in participation.

Arena:
    Players: DB needs to stop using the percent and expand the reward tier.

DB: So we should do what again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    AviTrek wrote: »

Faction Events:
    Players: DB should make rank rewards a percent like in Arena so adjusts for the change in participation.

Arena:

Those two points are not mutually exclusive and seem to be a misrepresentation of what Lorca said. Asking if it makes sense to slide the bar from 1% to 2% in Arena is not the same as suggesting an abandonment of a percentage ranking system.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve found that the Arena is very streaky. Some weeks it’s dead; other times it’s super competitive with lots of movement. I think it all depends how possible matchups get sorted.

Like today, somehow I’ve stayed in the Top 1% while most days I’m kicked to ~1600-2000 by the middle of the day. So normally, I fight back just before the day’s switch over then fight for my position again for the rewards. That’s far from ideal/possible for everyone but it’s the best way to stay sorta stable.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • I used the addition of Garth and the need for the Cardi ship to justify a change to the Krayton and desire to actually compete rather than select an opponent and set the phone down to die. So you can count me as an additional competitve component to the arena, at least for now.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Faction Events:

Arena:

Those two points are not mutually exclusive and seem to be a misrepresentation of what Lorca said. Asking if it makes sense to slide the bar from 1% to 2% in Arena is not the same as suggesting an abandonment of a percentage ranking system.

Sure it does. When the number of players decreases and you then ask to increase the precent that implies you don't want a percent but a static number players getting they highest rewards. Of course no one complained when the players were increasing and the ranks grew.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the arena is difficult now, but I can't see it as due to the schematics. These schematics are vanity to me and I am not pushing as hard as I can. I already have immortalized ships with all those traits.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new game update allow for no cool-down times between battles? Anyone using one of the platforms where this has gone live could be taking advantage of the shortened time and just blasting their way through a bunch of battles... and thereby making the ranks more volatile.

Since I don't use anything but a phone, I guess I'm just speculating without evidence. But maybe...?
  • Shan commented elsewhere that the cooldown elimimation won't go live until all platforms get the update.
  • There's still about the same amount of people playing it as always. I don't see how it would get more competitive, considering the rewards are complete crap.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Faction Events:

Arena:

Sure it does. When the number of players decreases and you then ask to increase the precent that implies you don't want a percent but a static number players getting they highest rewards. Of course no one complained when the players were increasing and the ranks grew.

There's some nuance. Part of that is the schematics economy. It takes so daggon long to max out a ship that I'd like DB to throw us a bone. :)

There's also the decreasing participation in Arena over the past months. I don't see much decrease in event participation, but I'm pretty much never at the bottom so I don't know for sure.

I didn't expect this month to be any more competitive than last month. I think the same number of people would want Valdore schematics and this month's schematics. I think relatively few captains had either ship maxed when the month started. Personally, I find the Valdore more desirable, so I expected a bigger push last month.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I agree with the fact that the free 4/5* Garth probably gave a lot of players a chance to compete for better ranks. And the many pack offers during the Holidays probably helped some players too. If someone who didn't have any decent arena crew now has even just a 4/5* Garth and a 1/5* Killy or RPC, they can now compete for the top ranks.
  • There's less people playing in the arena so the amount has decreased. If you have 100k people playing, then the top 1% is 1,000. If you have 80,000 people playing then 1% is 800. Unless I'm wrong about this and percentages are calculated different.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's less people playing in the arena so the amount has decreased. If you have 100k people playing, then the top 1% is 1,000. If you have 80,000 people playing then 1% is 800. Unless I'm wrong about this and percentages are calculated different.

That's how percentages work. But now that there are fewer people playing arena, you get people saying, "top 1% is less people, please make it top 2% so we get more people ranking at the top again." They don't actually want a percentage based rank, they just want more/easier rewards.