Home Engineering Room

Gauntlet issue

JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Engineering Room
I saw a screenshot of a mirror match Armus against Armus where the attacking Armus didn't get any points for the second skill (SCI), only for the first skill (CMD). In the discussion, it was posted that if the defender freezes his gauntlettist after setup, this will always happen to the attacker.

If that's true, it's a huge issue. Freezing and unfreezing only costs a few Merits a day. With this, defending a 1st place after cashing in Merits or Dilithium is a lot easier, because the attacker will almost certainly lose.

z7a7rj2iceuh.png
"Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")

Comments

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a bug and it is on our list of things to fix.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankies, Shan! <3
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • edited January 2020
    sxax0iwa9ykl.jpg
    And now it begins where everyone is using this exploit... Hope it gets bumped to the top of the fix it list now that a post has been made on the forums.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not say that there is an exploit as I believe there are unfortunate consequences also for the player freezing the crew.

I have amended the title of this thread.
  • edited January 2020
    Shan wrote: »
    I would not say that there is an exploit as I believe there are unfortunate consequences also for the player freezing the crew.

Respectfully Shan, I have to disagree, as no one would freeze Locutus in all likelyhood. I also haven't encountered this issue untill today, when this 'issue' became widely known.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is there are two (maybe 3) separate things going on.

1. When you start a crew in the gauntlet, freeze them, you will get an error message every time you use them that forces (you can't do anything else in game) you to restart your client (the battle result is never displayed but you see the change in points and streak after restart. You learn quickly not to freeze after then tenth restart in a day using mirror phlox or similar.

2. Your available opponents and current skill pair are updated when you restart the client or when you finish a battle. If for example you go to start a battle and that command is transmitted to DB, but then your internet connection flakes out before that info gets back to you, that battle happened on the server but you won't see a result and your available opponents shown on the client will still be the original ones until you restart. If you go to start another battle when the client and server list of opponents are out of sync then the screenshot like the one above can happen (the battle really wasn't dip cmd and the opponent may not have been locutus server side).

3. I don't know if anyone has tested exactly to see what happens if an opponent freezes and you battle them. I've never experienced the hard restart unless I was the one who froze the crew , but maybe that is the cause of a timeout that doesn't force a hard restart and get's you out of sync (and into the problems of number 2). If someone else has tested this case exactly and knows for sure what happens, please post.
  • Leonardo_DBidLeonardo_DBid ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Siranna in the current gauntlet doesn't exist hence for getting a server error.

20200122142946_1.jpg
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet doesn't mean enough to me to worry about this or to emulate it; but now that I know this is a real issue that is intentionally done, I will screenshot it if it happens to me and call out anyone who does it as a jerk. I don't care if people exploit loopholes and so forth until it directly, intentionally, and negatively affects others.
  • Shan wrote: »

Respectfully Shan, I have to disagree, as no one would freeze Locutus in all likelyhood. I also haven't encountered this issue untill today, when this 'issue' became widely known.

You must not play gauntlet very often to have not encountered this before. I agree it's unusual for Locutus to be frozen, but people could have two Locutuses (Locuti?) and merits are pretty easy to come by these days.

It's not a very sporting thing to do, but exploiting loopholes to win competitions is par for the course in systems where competition is prioritized over cooperation. 🤷

This issue has surfaced in the forums before, so this isn't the first time it's become "widely known". In fact, it's a prime example of why people's gauntlet data sets in aggregate are useless at detecting situational variables.

What I have noticed is that when I receive an "opponent doesn't exist" error, a game reset seems to sometimes clear the broken gauntlet round so that you can select one that isn't doomed to failure. I typically don't care enough to restart every time I encounter this, so I haven't paid close attention to how often this workaround succeeds. I think a merit refresh will also clear the broken round, but again, haven't cared enough to closely monitor.

You must not play gauntlet very often to have not encountered this before. I agree it's unusual for Locutus to be frozen, but people could have two Locutuses (Locuti?) and merits are pretty easy to come by these days.

It's not a very sporting thing to do, but exploiting loopholes to win competitions is par for the course in systems where competition is prioritized over cooperation. 🤷

This issue has surfaced in the forums before, so this isn't the first time it's become "widely known". In fact, it's a prime example of why people's gauntlet data sets in aggregate are useless at detecting situational variables.

What I have noticed is that when I receive an "opponent doesn't exist" error, a game reset seems to sometimes clear the broken gauntlet round so that you can select one that isn't doomed to failure. I typically don't care enough to restart every time I encounter this, so I haven't paid close attention to how often this workaround succeeds. I think a merit refresh will also clear the broken round, but again, haven't cared enough to closely monitor.

I haven't seen any other posts but I don't really check the engineering room. I did yesterday cause of the glitch preventing log in and saw this. I do however play gauntlet about the same as other people, every 4 hours I use all my crew and I go for streaks not ranking so I take the less risky option to try and play LONGER, and this was the first time I've seen this issue so I'm hoping it is an isolated incident.
  • I caused the opponent glitch error myself when I decided that I was tired of staring at 2 copies of Caretaker and decided to fuse them. My Caretaker was busted for the rest of the gauntlet.

I haven't seen any other posts but I don't really check the engineering room. I did yesterday cause of the glitch preventing log in and saw this. I do however play gauntlet about the same as other people, every 4 hours I use all my crew and I go for streaks not ranking so I take the less risky option to try and play LONGER, and this was the first time I've seen this issue so I'm hoping it is an isolated incident.

It's been posted about several times in the Bridge, though maybe not as a primary topic. In any event, may I recommend the "Recent Discussions" filter instead of going board by board?

I understand your strategy. I tend to streak the first day, and do whatever on the second since streaking without merit refreshes tends to bump me into the top 50 anyway. If you're streaking and using merit refreshes, that theoretically means you're running more rounds which makes it surprising you haven't encountered this before. I've seen it happen at least half a dozen times.

If you open up a support ticket, they will probably compensate you something for your troubles. I only did so the first time not expecting anything, and they were quite nice about it.

It might also have to do with the gauntlet start time. Anytime within 5-7 hours of gauntlet reset seems to bring out the more competitive set and I feel like I've only encountered this when I join a gauntlet during that time period.

It's been posted about several times in the Bridge, though maybe not as a primary topic. In any event, may I recommend the "Recent Discussions" filter instead of going board by board?

I understand your strategy. I tend to streak the first day, and do whatever on the second since streaking without merit refreshes tends to bump me into the top 50 anyway. If you're streaking and using merit refreshes, that theoretically means you're running more rounds which makes it surprising you haven't encountered this before. I've seen it happen at least half a dozen times.

If you open up a support ticket, they will probably compensate you something for your troubles. I only did so the first time not expecting anything, and they were quite nice about it.

It might also have to do with the gauntlet start time. Anytime within 5-7 hours of gauntlet reset seems to bring out the more competitive set and I feel like I've only encountered this when I join a gauntlet during that time period.

I generally TRY (key word) to not join gauntlet within about 2 to 4 hours after start so I get paired with easier opponents. Sometimes I start just out because I'm usually not busy at that time of day and figure 'why not' which then comes back to bit me later...but I do significantly better when I wait both streak wise and rank wise. As for contacting CS..... I didn't know they would do that and if it happens on a streak of 3 I may send a ticket as who knows (yeah I kinda do know this won't happen) they may give me a gauntlet Gold since, we don't know what I could've gotten :wink: