Home The Bridge
Options

Voyage Experiment Worked This Time

Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in The Bridge
So it didn’t glitch out this time which pleases me. As you can see, I passed my last hazard at 18 hours 37 minutes. Unless my math is incorrect, this means skill points per hour to pass hazards were at 1163.

ftufuqugdh8n.png

And for those who are on the proficiency matters to passing hazards train, Lissan was the one who was responsible for my diplomacy hazards. Here are her proficiency stats

v8ld8i78amca.png

Comments

• Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    First off, congrats on the event and the very honor bountiful voyage.
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    So it didn’t glitch out this time which pleases me. As you can see, I passed my last hazard at 18 hours 37 minutes. Unless my math is incorrect, this means skill points per hour to pass hazards were at 1163.

And for those who are on the proficiency matters to passing hazards train, Lissan was the one who was responsible for my diplomacy hazards. Here are her proficiency stats

So what those of us mean by proficiency is that your 21655 isn't really a flat 21655. Its the sum of the base and proficiency of every crew on the voyage. For example, while I don't know the exact crew you have that might look something like 17300+(1790-6920).

At 18:37, the skill required to pass should be calculated off (1200/hour or 20/minute). That works out to 22340. The theory is that the game rolls proficiency for each player on your crew and adds them up to see if you pass the check. If your crew added up to 17300+(1790-6920), you would have rolled over 5040 (or really your crew would have rolls totaling that) in the 1790-6920 range to pass that skill.

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Voyage, Banjo!!!!!

🖖👍🍻👍🖖
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

So what those of us mean by proficiency is that your 21655 isn't really a flat 21655. Its the sum of the base and proficiency of every crew on the voyage. For example, while I don't know the exact crew you have that might look something like 17300+(1790-6920).

At 18:37, the skill required to pass should be calculated off (1200/hour or 20/minute). That works out to 22340. The theory is that the game rolls proficiency for each player on your crew and adds them up to see if you pass the check. If your crew added up to 17300+(1790-6920), you would have rolled over 5040 (or really your crew would have rolls totaling that) in the 1790-6920 range to pass that skill.

See I thought that since they showed Lissan for every diplomacy checkpoint that she was the one whose proficiency was used. I didn’t know that for sure, it was just an assumption. And thanks for the congrats. I was just really glad to see you didn’t make a run ;-) if you would like I can post screenshots of the crew I used. Give me a minute to gather it up

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Voyage, Banjo!!!!!

🖖👍🍻👍🖖

Thank you my friend. I thought it would be interesting to see how this played out

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Paladin is correct. And if you watch your voyage around that point you will see it vary between success and failure. So there is some kind of RNG/proficiency that is determining if you pass.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Paladin is correct. And if you watch your voyage around that point you will see it vary between success and failure. So there is some kind of RNG/proficiency that is determining if you pass.

I have noticed that before, where I failed one then passed the next so I am on that proficiency train as well. I didn’t mean that phrase in a negative way, I subscribe to that tgeory as well as I have seen it in action so apologies if that sounded negative, I just like to try and find interesting ways to put things. And I did keep watching the hazards for quite a while after that last success so I made absolute certain that this was the last one I passed

• Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8p2wuchu4yey.jpg

So this is the total of the crew. The 21651 versus 21655 is probably from rounding somewhere.

Totals are 17192+ (2955-5965). Roll needed would have been ~5148.
  • Options
    Whoa! Congrats @Banjo1012

I've never seen a primary skill set that high, so this may be a dumb question, but did you use revivals to get to that 18 hour mark?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! Congrats @Banjo1012

I've never seen a primary skill set that high, so this may be a dumb question, but did you use revivals to get to that 18 hour mark?

Oh yeah. I want to say it took 4 refreshes. Then I did another cuz it crashed at 19:52 and I figured one more refresh would get me two more dilemnas

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8p2wuchu4yey.jpg

So this is the total of the crew. The 21651 versus 21655 is probably from rounding somewhere.

Wow!! You were amazingly close on your numbers guesstimate!! I guess this shows that my last passed hazard gave me a great roll and was pretty close to the max time I could have passed one

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    8p2wuchu4yey.jpg

Which explains why it was the last one to pass. A high roll. As of 18:40, the pass rate probably increased and it was no longer possible for a lucky roll to even pass.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Congrats Banjo glad that you did not have a glitch this time.
    8p2wuchu4yey.jpg

I am guessing that DB is actually working with fractions, that we do not know the value of. So Banjo's crew also happened to be on the high side in the fractional part. I assume the opposite could happen, that the number could be lower than the spreadsheet totals.

Edit: I added the DIP numbers displayed for the crew on voyage it comes to 21652. So there is definitely a fractional part that would account for it being 21655.

Edit2: so his last chance for a pass would have been at ~19:17. Of course, the odds of that would have been 1 in ~3000 but that does not include the odds of the favored skill coming up. So somewhere around 1 in ~8500.

Edit3: it would be a rare occurrence to have a hazard come up and only have 1 roll that can pass. From what Paladin said, 20/min., we know hazards show up every minute (note: dilemmas might replace a hazard as well as the finding of rewards this would be two minutes but I am going to assume always one) the best odds of passing the last hazard would be 19 skill pits. If I divide the above numbers by 19 this would be the best possibility for the last hazard so ~160 and ~450. So the odds of passing the last possible dilemma would be in the range of ~450 to ~8500. This corresponds to having 19 rolls to pass it or 1 roll to pass and also of getting the primary stat.

Edit4: based on variance if I were to guess where the voyage would have its last success, I would guess at 75% of the range. Rounding I will just say range is 3000 so therefore 2250. Add the base and min proficiency 20146 that comes to 22396 so divide by 1200/hour so 18:40. So slightly below but not by much. He is basically near the average last pass. Still very likely that 1200 is right.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @WaldoMag
  • Options
    Very interesting numbers experiment, thank you for doing this test for us Banjo it does very strongly support the theory that proficiency is a variable in voyage skill rolls, and using a similar total crew with more base numbers would be more reliable (just as choosing gauntlet crew with a tighter roll range is more reliable than wider ranges).
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting numbers experiment, thank you for doing this test for us Banjo it does very strongly support the theory that proficiency is a variable in voyage skill rolls, and using a similar total crew with more base numbers would be more reliable (just as choosing gauntlet crew with a tighter roll range is more reliable than wider ranges).

I agree. It does seem to support that theory. And your welcome. Just seemed like a cool thing to do to see how it played out
  • Options
    Great job Banjo! My recent similar experiment failed miserably as you can see. I couldn't get anywhere near 20K, but I am still very skeptical about the crew combination numbers vs. individual skill #s, as Paladin is pointing out.

You obviously also had incredible RNG on your side + the perfect top skills. This failed one of mine actually had one of the lesser skills come up over 25% (MED) which is why I think it crashed so hard. I forgot to screenshot the final results, but SCI was under 23%, and DIP was under 20%.

0h0hhfk8uohg.png
    I want to become a Dilionaire...