Home Make It So!
Options

Starbase reclamation unit

Disable those options as long as the starbes isn't maxed.
As long as a starbase isn't maxed, they serve no purpose, yet to many members are keen to donate to them.
There's just no purpose. You want to use starbase components as fuel? Fine, do it. Why turn them into replicator rations first? You're holding the fleet back!

Comments

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as a starbase isn't maxed, they serve no purpose, yet to many members are keen to donate to them.
    There's just no purpose. You want to use starbase components as fuel? Fine, do it. Why turn them into replicator rations first? You're holding the fleet back!

+1 for this, or give the admiral the option to redistribute components to recommended rooms only. Please. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for this, or give the admiral the option to redistribute components to recommended rooms only. Please. 🖖

I can see a use case for the rooms when the starbase isn’t maxed out, when every room except the recycler rooms are full up on nanopolymers and tritanium and not every member can come up with 700 holoemitters and/or transparent aluminum every day.
  • Options
    that's true... except in my fleet, different rooms still need all of the component types.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    A recent issue in the starbase I'm with is a person that keep tagging ever room as recommended. Not complaining, it's being dealt with. Just context for what follows.

I think there might need to be a tweek to how permissions exist. I've never run a starbase so I honestly don't know exactly what they look like. But perhaps consider an admiral being able to lock off donating to some rooms.

There is of course the issue of needing to donate to hit daily targets and the fact that at a certain point the only thing left is a type you don't have, so the only choice is reclamation. But that might be the problem. Perhaps the drop rate or where those rarer drops occur needs to be considered. Perhaps the problem is the attempt to control the pace of building up a starbase is too aggressive. The issue may not be a wasting of resources, but rather an inability to gather resources.

Locking rooms may simply cripple the ability to hit thresholds that pay out honor and chronos when half the players can't or stop donating. I can see a good argument for more flexibility in starbase room management, but I also see a good argument for considering drops or targets so that people can better gather what they want/need to donate.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this option. Sometimes language can be a barrier and there can also be wide range of interest/expertise between a serious admiral and a more casual player. Let the players donate wherever they want to make sure they make their 700 donation cap each day, and let the admiral decide where they actually go.

Actually, this gave me an idea, why not cut out the middle-man entirely and just have players donate 700 to a general fleet fund and let the admiral invest all of daily to where they need to go? Speaking as an admiral, I would prefer this.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I can see a use case for the rooms when the starbase isn’t maxed out, when every room except the recycler rooms are full up on nanopolymers and tritanium and not every member can come up with 700 holoemitters and/or transparent aluminum every day.

I see that usage as well, as we slowly scale the “Holoemitter Wall of Doom” in my fleet. Seeing that component in the reclamation unit is frustrating, though, which was the impetus for my proposal ...
    Bylo Band wrote: »

I love this option. Sometimes language can be a barrier and there can also be wide range of interest/expertise between a serious admiral and a more casual player. Let the players donate wherever they want to make sure they make their 700 donation cap each day, and let the admiral decide where they actually go.

Actually, this gave me an idea, why not cut out the middle-man entirely and just have players donate 700 to a general fleet fund and let the admiral invest all of daily to where they need to go? Speaking as an admiral, I would prefer this.

... and while I appreciate the support, I disagree with the idea of only one player deciding which rooms receive components. My personal opinion (2¢) is that reaching consensus among members on which rooms (skills, core vs. prof.) to focus is an important part of building a cohesive fleet, in terms of open communication and discussion of shared goals. Where members choose to donate is not something to be taken lightly.

I’m not quite sure yet how to reconcile those two things, though. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust