Home The Bridge
Options

Expedition

Is it true that Expedition event has a currency,"tickets" that require burning chronitons to obtain? Strategically, which is more important- to have lots of chrons or lots of crew?

Comments

• Options
    Is it true that Expedition event has a currency,"tickets" that require burning chronitons to obtain? Strategically, which is more important- to have lots of chrons or lots of crew?

This is false. Tickets can't be gained by using chrons. They give u 3 per day and they reset at the daily reset. Be sure to use the tickets in threshold when u can because if you use your daily 3, claim them, then reset happens before you use them, u loose 3 tickets by not being able to receive the 3 at reset.
  • Options
    good to know, thanks. so this is a good time to pull crew out of the vault, filling any empty crew slots.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    good to know, thanks. so this is a good time to pull crew out of the vault, filling any empty crew slots.

Yes as the way I did this last time was all my heavy hitters did the epic missions (which if it is the same way this time you can finish the regular, then elite, then epic missions then they don't need to be played in that order to unlock the epic track) to yield the most points, then after that I used whatever heavy hitters were left to finish the elite and regular. After that if I wanted more points per ticket I used remaining crew. It all depends on how many crew you have, what level\fusion they are, and how many event crew you have. I have 236 with I believe over 50 immo gold's so I'm not going to be unfreezing any crew but if they replayed this last year I would be unfreezing a few just for backup (for lack of a better word)
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy extra tickets for dilithium, right?

As far as I remember the trick was to just get the low hanging fruit on each ticket and buy more tickets. This was from a time when dilithium was a lot rarer than it is today too, I think it was 20 dil for your first extra ticket each day and then doing the usual doubing price thing.

You need crew depth only for the first ticket basically. Once you've unlocked the epic level you should be able to do it with your best people and that will give you a ton of points. You *can* keep going on these tickets but expeditions can be very tedious for some and the diminishing returns on each ticket is quite extreme so IIRC the 'best' way to approach the event was to cut your losses on each ticket after it started to get less than 2k points per mission and just start a new ticket.

I may be misremembering the details, it's been a long while....
  • Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »

As far as I remember the trick was to just get the low hanging fruit on each ticket and buy more tickets. This was from a time when dilithium was a lot rarer than it is today too, I think it was 20 dil for your first extra ticket each day and then doing the usual doubing price thing.

You need crew depth only for the first ticket basically. Once you've unlocked the epic level you should be able to do it with your best people and that will give you a ton of points. You *can* keep going on these tickets but expeditions can be very tedious for some and the diminishing returns on each ticket is quite extreme so IIRC the 'best' way to approach the event was to cut your losses on each ticket after it started to get less than 2k points per mission and just start a new ticket.

Yes u can buy extra tickets, but if you are trying to rank, id try to get the 'rare' (I think crit reward would be a better term since it is guaranteed to drop if you get to the high enough number) rewards from the regular and elite track along with the epic. And for that you need more crew to get higher bundles of points.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

No, 3 days ago was a good time to start pulling crew out of the vault filling extra slots. You're now limited by the number of people you can pull out in a single day.

But if you haven't started pulling out people yet, then starting now is better than not pulling anyone out.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    extra tickets are 20, 40, 60, 80 and then finally 100 dil, and caps at 100 dil. once reset hits, cost resets as well. just like merits for unvaulting characters.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

No, 3 days ago was a good time to start pulling crew out of the vault filling extra slots. You're now limited by the number of people you can pull out in a single day.

But if you haven't started pulling out people yet, then starting now is better than not pulling anyone out.

To be That Guy, you’re really only limited by your merits stockpile and willingness to dip into it. The cheapest way is to thaw out bonus crew starting the Friday when the event is first announced, doing as few per day as you can to get everyone out but save on merits.

For example, if we had known about Data being in the thresholds last Friday I would have thawed out one of my frozen bonus crew (Alan-a-Dale, Frank Hollander, AoS Geordi, Doctor La Forge, Friar Tuck Data, Prospero Data, and Data Q) every day and spent 600 merits total (100 per day). But because we didn’t know about the threshold until later, I did three of them on Tuesday and three yesterday for a total cost of 900 merits (100+150+200 merits each day). This is why most people that I know of try to keep a reserve merits supply of at least 3,000-5,000...some hold onto much more than that.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    extra tickets are 20, 40, 60, 80 and then finally 100 dil, and caps at 100 dil. once reset hits, cost resets as well. just like merits for unvaulting characters.

Thank you for this info. I was wondering about this

• Options
    The same 4* reward for both threshold and rank is insulting.

This was a perfect opportunity for DB to be generous to its players and give multiple copies of a 5* in the rank rewards instead of *another* Dr. Laforge.

Neither the Professor or that Data are strong 5*'s, making them great candidates to be "given".
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Yes u can buy extra tickets, but if you are trying to rank, id try to get the 'rare' (I think crit reward would be a better term since it is guaranteed to drop if you get to the high enough number) rewards from the regular and elite track along with the epic. And for that you need more crew to get higher bundles of points.

Time is a significant cost in this event, going deep down into the basic rewards will kill your soul. Complete most of the Epic rewards and one pass at each of the Elite rewards and call it a day on the ticket is my advice. You'll have picked up the vast vast majority of the ticket in only a small fraction of the time it will cost you to harvest the ticket to its fullest. Literally epic diminishing marginal returns. And we have so many tickets for free too... I started with 6 and then there's more in the threshold rewards.

Do we get 3 every day?
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - three new ones each day - provided you have used the old - ie if you have 6/3 you won't get any new tickets. If you have 2/3 you will only get 1 new. This is the pain point. You have to use up all the reward and old tickets you have each day.

In previous expeditions I did clear all medium stars - but I'm with you on this one. Just clearing the data doc and moriarty epics, then one pass through medium and one through low.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Really do not like this event type at all. Far too tine consuming for me.

QOL would be to ad wsrp when completed all nodes
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it, either.

However, with no intention of being rude, I emphatically disagree with the idea of warping the nodes. That would turn into a massive pay to win scheme.

I also disagree with that warping idea. However, this type of event is already set up for “pay to win” in one respect, by offering additional tickets for dilithium:

b81kg6vgy0ht.jpeg
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/Event_Ticket
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    However, this type of event is already set up for “pay to win” in one respect, by offering additional tickets for dilithium

With the tickets resetting 12 hours after the event start this favors American players. I would have liked to buy one or two additional tickets for only a few Dil but when I had my inital 5 tickets done it was 1 AM and I really could not do any more as I had to go to work today.
    Reset was at 6 AM so no chance to take advantage of the cheap tickets on day 1 in Europe, Africa or Asia unless you are willing to burn through your first tickets without too much brainpower at the cost of VP efficiency, given you also have some sort of real life like dinner and stuff...

Or do I misunderstand this and the ticket cost does not reset each day?
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options

You are not alone in feeling that this event type is the worst. It's incredibly tedious. However, I don't begrudge the fans of the event their rare rerun.
  • Options
    However, this type of event is already set up for “pay to win” in one respect, by offering additional tickets for dilithium

With the tickets resetting 12 hours after the event start this favors American players. I would have liked to buy one or two additional tickets for only a few Dil but when I had my inital 5 tickets done it was 1 AM and I really could not do any more as I had to go to work today.
    Reset was at 6 AM so no chance to take advantage of the cheap tickets on day 1 in Europe, Africa or Asia unless you are willing to burn through your first tickets without too much brainpower at the cost of VP efficiency, given you also have some sort of real life like dinner and stuff...

If you just want to get T'Pol I don't think you'll need to spend any dilithium. This event isn't typically very competitive because a lot of players procrastinate doing the event and lose tickets, so just keeping up with the tickets you get for free will likely get you over the line. A lot of the reason historically that there have been fans of this event is that those who play it typically get the prize even when they have rosters that wouldn't normally be competitive.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

If you just want to get T'Pol I don't think you'll need to spend any dilithium. This event isn't typically very competitive because a lot of players procrastinate doing the event and lose tickets, so just keeping up with the tickets you get for free will likely get you over the line. A lot of the reason historically that there have been fans of this event is that those who play it typically get the prize even when they have rosters that wouldn't normally be competitive.

I actually REALLY enjoy the Expedition. To be honest I will spend some dil on tickets just for the fun of it. If this gets me some dil back via the ranked rewards it will be just a nice side effect.

Overall you seem to be right. I am currently on my first ticket of day 2 and sitting on rank 251 so the competition is far from rough.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually REALLY enjoy the Expedition. To be honest I will spend some dil on tickets just for the fun of it. If this gets me some dil back via the ranked rewards it will be just a nice side effect.

Overall you seem to be right. I am currently on my first ticket of day 2 and sitting on rank 251 so the competition is far from rough.

Something to think about it the future. You don't NEED to claim threshold as it comes. Especially if you have doctor la forge already, you can't wait until you have time for extra tickets. I knew I wouldn't have time until the weekend, so all my rewards are waiting. I'll just worry about the three tickets on Thursday and Friday until then.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Something to think about it the future. You don't NEED to claim threshold as it comes. Especially if you have doctor la forge already, you can't wait until you have time for extra tickets. I knew I wouldn't have time until the weekend, so all my rewards are waiting. I'll just worry about the three tickets on Thursday and Friday until then.

So did I. I will go through the reward tickets during the weekend. I stopped claiming at 11500 VP.
  • Options
    Different question. I should know this, but it’s been so long since the last expedition event … Are crew on shuttles or voyages still available to use on your expedition?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different question. I should know this, but it’s been so long since the last expedition event … Are crew on shuttles or voyages still available to use on your expedition?

Negative.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

Negative.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Time is a significant cost in this event, going deep down into the basic rewards will kill your soul.

I have the same problem. 125 basic rewards to be opened from the time portal.
    Can't they make it so that if you keep the 'claim' button pressed down, it will increase the count, just like training programs...?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time is a significant cost in this event, going deep down into the basic rewards will kill your soul.

I have the same problem. 125 basic rewards to be opened from the time portal.
    Can't they make it so that if you keep the 'claim' button pressed down, it will increase the count, just like training programs...?

You necro'ed a thread that has nothing to do with your question, lol. The "basic rewards" talked about here are something completely different. But I assume you did a forum search and just picked a thread that sounded close. ;) But yes, what you brought up is something we've asked for before, and would indeed be very nice to have added to the game.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"