Home The Bridge
Options

The Dilemma of introducing more Dilemmas...

I'm not sure where everyone else is, but I'm currently sitting on FF'd copies of all the two-dilemma "easy" characters, and am only chasing the "hard" three-dilemma ones. I go back and forth as to whether dilemmas come up too often or not often enough, but there's one consistent fact. Most of them are now boring. I'm not sure what the best way to address this could be, therefore Poll!

The Dilemma of introducing more Dilemmas... 67 votes

Keep Dilemmas the way they are.
5%
Jim RaynorHungry Dog DDM[Deleted User]Proont 4 votes
Write up some second parts to the existing, such as: What happened to those Ferengi miners? How's that Maquis kid doing since we took him home? Did the scavenger pilot ever make it off that planet?
43%
Sabine of AthensCaptain DurfZombie Squirrel eXo | SilverRose (retired)MOZangelesSDJayBeezygregorytOdo Marmarosacmdrworfguest_757423444811776Gib - Admiral MarinersGhostStalkerDScottHewittShy KhanDavideBooksDirk GundersonIshmael MarxUlurusagima/SSR/ Tichy 29 votes
Remove some existing (pointless) dilemmas so that the character ones come up more often?
20%
Rocpile[QH] OxmyxAggeParker RobbinsHamsters2Me [AUS]Ren~DryvetymeIvlainJenos IdanianShellandflamePavelHWeyoun 69R A N G E R 14 votes
Introduce random new ones simply for to alleviate boredom.
11%
Commander Sinclair[S47] ELiLCaptain MurphyCapt. Pete OwenVeterinary PhloxJoeSage 2RFguest_733781620563968 8 votes
Another idea? Comment.
17%
Jim SteeleRaraRacingFrank?Matt_DeckerIronagedaveWebberoniEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Prime LorcaI'm a Doctor, Not a...MaripacsMirrorVerse JcShadowPresence 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Write up some second parts to the existing, such as: What happened to those Ferengi miners? How's that Maquis kid doing since we took him home? Did the scavenger pilot ever make it off that planet?
    Matt - actually I specifically excluded the idea of introducing legendaries to the voyage drops.

A.) We often forget that a lot of the players have never seen an 8 hour voyage without a refuel.

B.) Experienced players have literally 100+ useless legendaries just sitting around taking up space. I really don't need any more, and another star on one of them (which would literally be so rare it would make a BeGold look common) really wouldn't help their stats.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add new 2 multi-part dilemmas, but remove some of the single dilemmas in the process. I'd love variation and to have new crew to chase. But I don't want to extend the maximum length beyond the 66 hours currently needed for both 3 part options.

Also, the changes shouldn't change the odds of getting a random 4* dilemma unconnected to multi-part dilemmas.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Add new 2 multi-part dilemmas, but remove some of the single dilemmas in the process. I'd love variation and to have new crew to chase. But I don't want to extend the maximum length beyond the 66 hours currently needed for both 3 part options.

Also, the changes shouldn't change the odds of getting a random 4* dilemma unconnected to multi-part dilemmas.

Hahaha, so you just want them to cut the ones that don't give you anything good, eh?

Seems like both you and Matt wanted a combination of two of my choices - I guess my poll is lacking.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another idea? Comment.
    Add new purples to the three Parter Dilemmas and demote the current 3 Part purple reward crew to the 2 part dilemmas, leaving the old two Parters either going into the regular portal pull or purchasable for honor in the honor hall.

And while they do this make it so that we can save up our voyage tokens !!!!! !!! !!!!
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Another idea? Comment.
    New dilemmas would be great, if
    1. they produce previously unavailable high-value rewards, like legendary crew from the first year of the game, and

+1

Other than that, with the current rewards, I don't really care about new dilemmas, as long as they don't further dilute the chances of getting to the last part of the 3 parters.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another idea? Comment.
    I would say a combination of 2, 3 and 4 is needed. Voyages are stale and need updating. We need more antimatter from ships, as its pointless to use anything other than a 5* ship, trait bonuses don't add enough. And finally, let us have a Starbase room to increase Antimatter & Prof skills of Voyage crew.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they made the three parters less likely to happen but, when you get the first dilemmas, you're locked into the sequence until you break it. When I first started to understand how the dilemma system worked, I was shocked this wasn't how it operated.

I LIKE THIS A LOT.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Another idea? Comment.
    Matt - actually I specifically excluded the idea of introducing legendaries to the voyage drops.

A.) We often forget that a lot of the players have never seen an 8 hour voyage without a refuel.

B.) Experienced players have literally 100+ useless legendaries just sitting around taking up space. I really don't need any more, and another star on one of them (which would literally be so rare it would make a BeGold look common) really wouldn't help their stats.

That's assuming that they're random drops, but if it worked the way it does for voyage exclusive crew you could choose whether or not you want to follow the path that leads you to that legendary and you could try to go for multiple copies. They could make a specific old legendary available for a limited period of time (3 or 4 months maybe) and then replace them with another.
    If new players were willing to refuel once or twice to get a copy of Age Of Sail Crusher, then I don't see what would be wrong with it. If they don't want that legendary either, then no one lost anything.
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.
    I'm on board with @Matt_Decker idea of adding in some early Legendaries, but kick them up to the 20h mark.

I also think they should bump up the Achievements to include 30, 40, and 50 hour dilemmas.

Finally, this is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a few days. They should introduce Voyage Return tokens. They would instantly recall your current voyage instead of requiring Dil. You could add another threshold tier at 400k to recieve one. And that way if we want to send out a fresh voyage with event crew after an event concludes, we aren't forced to spend Dil. That would also alleviate the issue some have had about getting their dailies done if they've set out to run a 50h long haul for voyage exclusive crew and might miss the next day waiting for their voyage to return.

I also like the idea of adding some updates to current dilemmas. I get bored arresting some Maquis or taking them home with no real impact on what happens because of my decision.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Another idea? Comment.
    I'd be fine with regular re-writes for dilemmas so at least the stories aren't repeated so often, without changing the number of total dilemmas.

The other part of voyages that got stale long ago is all the filler text between dilemmas. I've been reading the same bits of text since voyages were first introduced, and sometimes see the exact same paragraph twice or even three times in a row (the same thing drifted by the ship three times in a row before anything else happened?).

Having said all that, none of that should be near the top of the priority list for the limited number of developers still working on STT.

A longer format voyage (week long, perhaps?) or multiple voyages could also add something new to do with our ever-expanding crew sizes.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another idea? Comment.
    A couple things. Adding legendaries at 8 hours plus is a good thing. If you don't want them, airlock them for 550 honor.

I don't want to extend beyond the current 36-dilemma maximum for voyages, but I would also like to break the monotony. I also do not want to lose the existing dilemmas. They are good flavor for new players. None of the solutions above fit my desires, so here's a couple alternatives:

1) Take all those existing 1-parters and throw them in a pool. I'll call it "Decrept Dilemmas" because I have a strange attachment to the word Decrepit. Write up some new dilemmas. Have an essay contest. Personally, I would love to see @Kaitee , @Bylo Band , @DScottHewitt and some others would write. Throw these new dilemmas in a pool and call it GhostStalker Dilemmas (in honor of this thread). At the beginning of every voyage, the game picks either Decrepit Dilemmas or GhostStalker Dilemmas and that's what you see. This solution is probably easier to implement than what I actually want, which is:

2) Take half of the existing 1-part dilemmas and put them in a pool called 10F Dilemmas. Take the other half and put them in a pool called FH Dilemmas. At the beginning of a voyage, the game picks one pool or the other. To replace the half of 1-parters that is removed, we will add some second and third parts to some of those dilemmas. What happened to that trader? Did the rebelling colonists form a new government that collapsed? I don't know... have an essay contest. Maybe if I tag @Dirk Gunderson , @(HGH)Apollo and @Banjo2012 , they'll make something up. Some of the dilemmas won't get a second part so that others can have a third. I mean... I saved the captain. If I really want to know what happened to him after that, I'll just check Starfleet records. No big deal. (Spoiler alert: he retired to Risa, the end.) Anyway... This is also a good opportunity to add in some more voyage-exclusive SR's or have the game pull from the pool of Decrepit Legendaries.

That was really long-winded. No wonder @GhostStalker didn't make those options. They won't allow that much text in polls. I've created enough to know. Thanks for giving me another platform to throw out more ideas and tag a bunch of people. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on board with @Matt_Decker idea of adding in some early Legendaries, but kick them up to the 20h mark.

zoi4g98g9uxh.gif

• Options
    Seeing all of your comments makes me realize how thankful I am not to work for DB's development team!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    2) Take half of the existing 1-part dilemmas and put them in a pool called 10F Dilemmas. Take the other half and put them in a pool called FH Dilemmas. At the beginning of a voyage, the game picks one pool or the other. To replace the half of 1-parters that is removed, we will add some second and third parts to some of those dilemmas. What happened to that trader? Did the rebelling colonists form a new government that collapsed? I don't know... have an essay contest. Maybe if I tag @Dirk Gunderson , @(HGH)Apollo and @Banjo2012 , they'll make something up. Some of the dilemmas won't get a second part so that others can have a third. I mean... I saved the captain. If I really want to know what happened to him after that, I'll just check Starfleet records. No big deal. (Spoiler alert: he retired to Risa, the end.) Anyway... This is also a good opportunity to add in some more voyage-exclusive SR's or have the game pull from the pool of Decrepit Legendaries.

Hmmm...ideas:

Blood-Red Tide pt.2, Tide Harder
    A distress call has been received from the same colony, this time with a total collapse of the colony’s government [regardless of the option chosen in pt.1]. Food and medical supplies are scarce and the rebellion’s leadership wants to leave the planet entirely, although the High Council has blockaded the planet with the intent to keep the rebels from attacking other worlds.

Option A - Beam down supplies and mediate a negotiation between the KDF Admiral in charge of the blockade and the rebel leaders.

Option B - lodge a formal complaint with the Klingon ambassador but otherwise remain out of internal Klingon matters.

By Our Own Hands pt.2 - Capture of the Sticky Bandits

{crewname}’s counterpart has struck again, this time swindling an area trader of an entire cargo ship full of luxury goods. The warp signature from the cargo ship led us to a harrowing sight: duplicates of every single one of our crew members, all of whom are obviously more interested in theft than solving the galaxy’s problems. Your thieving counterpart proposes a contest of wits to determine if they should go free...you consider their offer, as taking them all by force would be a dangerous proposition.

Option A - agree to play your counterpart’s games to avoid a conflict.

Option B - risk attempting to arrest the other ship’s crew.

Option C - suggest that both crews go their own way until even more versions of you can be found, to make the game even more fun

What Smiles May Hide pt.2 - Let’s Put a Smile On That Face

The questionable trader we talked to previously has reached out again, saying he is on the run from {factionname} for having cargo that’s illegal in this timeline but not in the one he’s from.

Option A - defend the trader from the pursuing {factionname} ships.

Option B - leave the trader to his fate.
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.

zoi4g98g9uxh.gif

I'm a little unclear of your thoughts on the matter. Could you be a little less vague? ;)
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.
    Good stuff, @Dirk Gunderson and @Kaitee !! Those are both pretty entertaining. And the thought of more 1-parters makes an option for a third pool. Spread out the existing into three pools, sprinkle in more second and third parts, then fill in the rest with more fresh 1-parters.

I didn't say it in my first post, but the existing 3-parters retain their current likelihood of appearing, regardless of pools.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.
    How about reducing the dilemma time from 2hrs to 1.5hrs. Lots more chances to get the 3 partners completed.
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Chasing stars on the few Voyage-only crew I haven't immortalized yet knowing that they'll be next to useless for me is a pretty dreary task. But it's not exactly my main focus for doing them. Still, it'd be nice to have a couple of new targets that hold actual value.
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.
    This intro cracks me up.😂🤪
    I chose “other” only bcuz you can pick 1. I would love choices 2,3,4 in there own simple context, all 3 together, or any mix and match. With the exception of 1 keeping them the way they are. Anything to change the boredom, and yes? What happened with the rest of the story on many of the dilemmas?
    But lets cut out the 3 parts, or make them more sequential. The odds of the third dropping in the same voyage are sooooo low, even at 20 or more hours. I know some lucky players with RNG on their side for a voyage or 2 have obtained all 3 parts. But surely not common. 🖖🏻
  • Options
    Another idea? Comment.
    @Mirror Cartman 's behold-dilemma idea is pretty brilliant. I would absolutely make that a feature of the second and third part dilemmas on my idea. Wish I could Awesome those posts a couple more times.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been said in the replies already, but I'll second these thoughts:

If adding more dilemmas (thus extending the 72hr max voyage), then the multi-part dilemmas need to occur in sequence (hit part 1, then your are guaranteed to hit part 2 and 3 on the next 2 dilemmas). It is truly baffling that this is not how the dilemmas work already.

I'd love to find out what that Maquis does with the rest of his/her life after they get out of the prison I keep tossing them into. I'd love to know if the Ferengi make profit on the mining rights (or alternatively if they come to a trade agreement with the system's home planet after I tell the Ferengi to take a hike). I'd love to find out whether whether the saved captain/prisoner goes on to future good things or is arrested (or re-arrested) for their various misdeeds (a 4* dilemma for part 2). What happens to that classless commander after I tell Starfleet he's not ready for a captain rank?

If a LOT of new dilemmas are added, then I'd be ok with one of them being a 5* drop dilemma. That way, the odds of getting it are very low (as it should be). I prefer the approach (floated many times) that older 5* cards should have a chance of dropping starting at 8hrs (or 10hrs). But either way is fine.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I hope this makes sense. It's still half baked in my head.

Some one has already dropped perhaps the best idea. A few more dilemmas probably won't hurt the game. Provided they are retooled properly.

There is a huge problem coming if the update the portal. It will get diluted. However. They could retire a portion of the portal to voyages, including the golds. There should be a reasonable pool of cards to make certain dilemmas like Winter's Price interesting by dropping either Owners/Hunters and Prisoners respectively. The portal could still drop randomly on a voyage as usual. But voyages would have a slight bias toward retired cards. Retired golds added to dilemmas on a 3rd or 4th tier would still be difficult, but being easier to get (relatively speaking) is offset by the reality that most of them aren't all that relevant any more. It would give high level players a chance to hunt down an FF that's collecting dust while keeping new golds in the portal that might still sell on a random table.

A portal update could prove disruptive, but if you retire part of it to a place people can still get it you give both features of the game something to make them a little more distinct while maintaining availablility.