Home The Bridge
Options

What is the difference?

.... the difference between Flashback and Replay events ....

I never got an answer for this in the thread I pulled it from. Maybe they were confused by all the humor?? :o
Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
My DataCore page
My Spreadsheet

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuttysark wrote: »

I never got an answer for this in the thread I pulled it from. Maybe they were confused by all the humor?? :o

Flashbacks do not have the 5* Crew as new Crew. Also, do not have some added stuff in the Thresholds.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks ... I saw peregrine's comment also a sec ago.
    Are these some sort of really, truly actual Events from DB or just BS* categories made up by idle minds to provide for Forum amazement/amusement?

Still too deep for me .... looking for my hip-waders ... ;)

*Bunny Spit

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @Aldude
    Thanks for your clear, concise, and intelligent reply. :)
    (I did some research and learned that 'replay' was total humbug ... probably the reason nobody can tell the difference, eh? :p lol)

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

When DB announced flashbacks, they said they would be EXACTLY the same as the original event. The purpose being that it would give them time to work on "quality of life" updates for the game. Which was cool, because we all thought we'd get the chance to add stars to some of the more recently released legendarys. And then they said, "Oh, we meant they would be exactly the same as the original event, except the ranked legendary character will be different." But the reality is they've completely reworked the rewards for every flashback event they've run so far (iirc, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) So, in reality, it looks like they just wanted an excuse to NOT give us another copy of an existing legendary like we normally would in a rerun, which is presumably the reason most players wanted more rerun events in the first place.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

When DB announced flashbacks, they said they would be EXACTLY the same as the original event. The purpose being that it would give them time to work on "quality of life" updates for the game. Which was cool, because we all thought we'd get the chance to add stars to some of the more recently released legendarys. And then they said, "Oh, we meant they would be exactly the same as the original event, except the ranked legendary character will be different." But the reality is they've completely reworked the rewards for every flashback event they've run so far (iirc, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) So, in reality, it looks like they just wanted an excuse to NOT give us another copy of an existing legendary like we normally would in a rerun, which is presumably the reason most players wanted more rerun events in the first place.

Or they want a wanted an excuse to run an event and not have to create any new crew and their associated art and items. Compared to that re-working thresholds is probably a lot simpler.

You’d think with all the complaints about too many crew getting added each week they would have gone over better.

I like the flashbacks better than reruns on my main account since I don’t wind up pulling a gold from a 1/20 pack. Reruns always felt like a slap in the face to an extent due to the dilution in pack odds, while flashbacks are great since they are a true week off (the week before when the existing card is the reward).

I like them better on my non-spending alt since most reruns there I’ve just wound up with a useless 1/5 aged gold card (that’s worse than new 4/4s) as the threshold reward. I’m especially looking forward to the next flashback there since I already have a 1/5 decoy kira, and with her as the reward next week I may actually go for top 25 to get multiple stars added to her.

I’d also point out that it’s not necessarily an either/or thing. Prior to the addition of flashbacks we didn’t always get two reruns between each set of mega events. Hopefully I counted right, but per the wiki we had 8 reruns in 2018 and 11 reruns/flashbacks in 2019, so while maybe a few flashbacks might have been reruns otherwise, some of them were replacing completely new events.
  • Options
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

Or they want a wanted an excuse to run an event and not have to create any new crew and their associated art and items. Compared to that re-working thresholds is probably a lot simpler.

That's... actually a really great point, and a factor that I admittedly didn't even consider. I think the thing that people dislike about flashbacks is the missing legendary in the thresholds. Case in point- Detective Data in the last flashback was added to the thresholds after enough people complained about it. If they put an existing legendary in the thresholds of a flashback (even if it had to be a totally random one that wasn't in the original run) I think most people would be thrilled.

• Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "get a copy of the old 5* in thresholds" is still a recent addition anyway. The old rerun events never had that, and were more like flashbacks than their current structure is now
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Aldude wrote: »
    The "get a copy of the old 5* in thresholds" is still a recent addition anyway. The old rerun events never had that, and were more like flashbacks than their current structure is now

When I started playing, there wasn’t always a new legendary in the ranked rewards in reruns either. I guess I just like adding stars to 1/5s that have been sitting useless in my roster for the last 3 years. I clearly must be missing the point of this game.
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Aldude wrote: »
    .... adding stars to 1/5s that have been sitting useless in my roster for the last 3 years. I clearly must be missing the point of this game.

You get the point alright ... they just want you to invest $$$ for those ***. LOL
    For me: if the cards aren't available in regular everyday play, and will just be a 'tchotchke on a shelf' collecting dust, I will just pass 'em on by. (I'm a heartless bugger and not in the least OCD) Someday they will return ... ;)

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    As I said for the Detective Data event, I still don't really understand why they don't just always put the old gold in the threshold.

Almost all those cards have slipped due to power creep. Not putting them in can do more harm. A player with too many unfinished 5* cards may actually choose to pass on an event offering a new card. Although to be honest, if you are buying packs you would probably also pay to make room.

New players may actually be interested in the original card, even if older players have started looking at it funny. I get the idea of pacing the game, but for new players it's kind of a slap in the face. Every gold is the chance a player will buy a second copy. Every dusty gold sitting in a crew slot is a chance some one will pay to put it in the fridge. Other than random chance there is no actual sure chance any portal gold will ever come up. Yes, the game is to make them money. But you have to drop the card to sell the other 5 stars.

Other than some licensing issues I can imagine, it seems counter productive to not put gracefully aging cards into thresholds of their original event. Those cards are less likely to make them money outside of being relevant to a current event.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

That's... actually a really great point, and a factor that I admittedly didn't even consider. I think the thing that people dislike about flashbacks is the missing legendary in the thresholds. Case in point- Detective Data in the last flashback was added to the thresholds after enough people complained about it. If they put an existing legendary in the thresholds of a flashback (even if it had to be a totally random one that wasn't in the original run) I think most people would be thrilled.

Yeah, I think a lot of people forget that new crew don’t just drop right into the event with no effort beyond creating the artwork - never mind the new equipment, they also end up with shuttle missions, item recipes, and Expedition nodes having to be redesigned to take into account the skills (and traits, except for Faction events) of the new crew.