Home The Bridge
Options

Tell me If I’m Crazy

I’m just realizing something and I need the help of the community. I could be crazy but I could have sworn that when he was first introduced Wrath Of Khan Kirk had THE voice clip; you know the one; KHAAAAANNN!!! Now please, can someone help me out and tell me if I’m just misremembering things or if that sound is just, poof, gone from that wonderful crew now. Thanks, do please comment.
Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Comments

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    He never had the sound clip.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy is not the preferred term. You do however appear to be experiencing auditory hallucinations. Or perhaps some form of senility. However, a more contemporary explanation would be that you are experiencing the mandala effect. Similar to how everyone remembers Kirk saying, beam me up Scotty.

I hope this helps (and is received in the jovial manner it was intended). You may want to check some of the other cards though. If there are more examples of discord between memory and experience a more professional opinion may be warranted.
  • Options
    adonibyte.adonibyte. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    We all a little crazy bit I dont recall the card ever saying that.

"Crazy is what everyone else is and you are not."
  • Options
    With our status as STT players, we’re not crazy, we’re clearly eccentric... With that knowledge, your auditory hallucinations are understandably justified.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    I do remember MANY people asking for that sound clip in the forum when he came out, but sadly, we never got it.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Crazy is not the preferred term. You do however appear to be experiencing auditory hallucinations. Or perhaps some form of senility. However, a more contemporary explanation would be that you are experiencing the mandala effect. Similar to how everyone remembers Kirk saying, beam me up Scotty.

I hope this helps (and is received in the jovial manner it was intended). You may want to check some of the other cards though. If there are more examples of discord between memory and experience a more professional opinion may be warranted.

Pretty sure it’s just mandala.

Thanks guys for the input and help; I have my answer now.

@Commander Sinclair yes, I remember pretty much EVERYONE wanting that sound clip and we got it as his ship ability but no actual sound clip. But some little time later we all got a one skill Bones with all kinds of pithy zingers. As amusing as listening to McCoy complain he’s not a bricklayer or whatnot, I think I still would have rather had Kirk screaming from inside an asteroid.

Oh, and I figured out how this mandala occurred, btw. The forums were abuse (really, spellcheck? You think the word “abuse” fits there? Sigh.) (the word I intended was “abuzz”.) with the appearance of Wrathful Kirk and someone at some point posted a gif and vid clip of the fateful screaming moment. Obviously my brain warped those incidents together into thinking that Kirk at some point had a sound file. Mystery explained. Thanks again to all.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure we will never really know, but the reason may be licensing. Either the actor or a studio may want more for an image or sound than STT is willing to invest. Even the "tiny little lifeforms" song Data sings is copyrighted and Bret gets paid when it's played.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure we will never really know, but the reason may be licensing. Either the actor or a studio may want more for an image or sound than STT is willing to invest. Even the "tiny little lifeforms" song Data sings is copyrighted and Bret gets paid when it's played.

Gene Roddenberry was actually pretty savvy about music royalties. He was smart enough to write the theme song for TOS knowing he’d make additional money off of it every time an episode aired. He also wrote lyrics for it, as it would allow him to collect even more royalties for it.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene Roddenberry was actually pretty savvy about music royalties. He was smart enough to write the theme song for TOS knowing he’d make additional money off of it every time an episode aired. He also wrote lyrics for it, as it would allow him to collect even more royalties for it.

Well, the music was written wholly by Alexander Courage. However, Gene had it written in the contract with Courage that Gene could add lyrics to it, which he did, apparently after the fact. This is what got Roddenberry 50% royalties from the theme, despite his lyrics never having been part of the version that was performed.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

Well, the music was written wholly by Alexander Courage. However, Gene had it written in the contract with Courage that Gene could add lyrics to it, which he did, apparently after the fact. This is what got Roddenberry 50% royalties from the theme, despite his lyrics never having been part of the version that was performed.

Lyrics like, “La la, this is Star Trek, la la la la la, Staaaaaar Treeeek.”
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lyrics like, “La la, this is Star Trek, la la la la la, Staaaaaar Treeeek.”

Haha. Now I can't help but think of Bill Murray's SNL lounge singer doing the Star Wars theme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiVRV5B5i8&t=345

"Ah...Star Warrrrrs!
    Nothing but Star Warrrrs!
    Give me those Star Wars!
    Don't let them end!"

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I think a fair few, like me, went crazy when we discovered he didn't have the sound clip after the event. Although a few others might have hijacked the craziness with the fact that he wasn't holding a communicator in his hand either.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The only new voice clip added to the game in the past, what? Two years? Was the 100th birthday celebration McCoy. Besides that one, you're lucky if new versions of existing crew have their existing audio clips copy/pasted. I don't even play the game with sound anymore. Haven't in well over a year and mainly because hearing the same old voice clips over and over is unbearable.

Not sure if DB lost the license to acquire new audio clips or if they just lost the will to add them, but either way there hasn't been anything new in ages.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vreenak and Scarlet Worf I recall were both cases of community interest leading to added sound clips, albeit Worf was quite a long while ago now. There is precedent, and I hope as Shan checks this thread for bad words she makes a note and reminds the devs that the Khaaaaan clip would be warmly received by many.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond
    The rim of the star-light
    My love
    Is wand'ring in star-flight
    I know
    He'll find in star-clustered reaches
    Love,
    Strange love a star woman teaches.
    I know
    His journey ends never
    His star trek
    Will go on forever.
    But tell him
    While he wanders his starry sea
    Remember, remember me.

• Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    So now we need to hear the opening credits with Uhura speaking or singing that after Kirk is done his monologue...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    ybsdvufe4ly8.jpg
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    What I really miss on recent cards, much more than sound clips (STT is muted anyway), is the flavour text we had on early cards. Now you need to consult the internet to find out what the card is about if you cannot remember the corresponding episode. This would be hardly any effort but would make the cards so much more enjoyable, at least for me.

+87

Totally agree and stuff!!!!!
  • Options

It seems to me if my memory is in tact, when the game first started there were much more sound clips, and being added to many new introduced cards on a regular basis. Then some sound clips were removed, and rarely do we get a new one.
    I agree it is all about royalties. Every image, and sound bite has to be paid for.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    People used to complain about the sound clips increasing the size of the app.
  • Options
    So now we need to hear the opening credits with Uhura speaking or singing that after Kirk is done his monologue...

I could swear Nichelle Nichols sang it on an album. Now I'll have to look through my vinyls (yes, I'm that old).
    People used to complain about the sound clips increasing the size of the app.

App size is a concern (yes, my iPad is that old, too)!
  • Options
  • Options
    Sound clips are absolutely nothing compared to the size of graphics files. They could add hundreds of them and nobody would even notice a difference in total download size. :smiley: No cause for concern there ...
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...did anyone else notice that the makeover BO Jadzia has 1701's sound clips now? is that new?
  • Options
    ...did anyone else notice that the makeover BO Jadzia has 1701's sound clips now? is that new?

Nope. Anime Jadzia had them, too.
  • Options

Nope. Anime Jadzia had them, too.

I heard it a lot during the Galaxy Event. From a lot of different Jadzia's. I think mostly it is repeated for a character. Except for the new, distinct clips Bones has.