Home The Bridge
Options

Just waiting for new threads like "Really DB? 300,000 VP to get a 5 Star?!

So why not opening one and see what happens...by the way: I had almost 300k and ended up on 1300 or so.
But that's okay for me, had not the time and motivation to send 4 shuttles 24/7 and then saying: "Really? No 5 Star?!"

Comments

• Options
    There's a thread around here like that somewhere I'm sure... *starts digging through the old files*

I also think DB said they'd be looking at reward thresholds in the future.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    353k and Ranked 380 at the moment.

The range between 500 and 1500 must be really small in score.
    Very competitive.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm around the 1400 mark, with 271900 VP but I have not been using boosts. (I can live without a pointless 1/5*, or without the double offer pop-up and getting in the way every time I log in.)

ieaxx0b4emg9.png

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Finished at 396 in this event, at over 400K points. Going in last Thursday, all I wanted from this was Ruk. But a successful kickstart, and a long, fortuitous streak of early mission successes that lasted into Saturday encouraged throttling it up. Tempted Data and Ilia Probe are now leveled, and helped out significantly.

Looking ahead to the upcoming galaxy, not going to be playing anywhere near all out. The new crew aren't enticing, and outside activities are going to cut into my playtime. My main goals until the next faction or hybrid event are to immortalize and vault some of the 3*'s clogging up crew space. I have to get back to having 5 open clew slots, and purchasing 5 new ones for 2,500 dil is a non-starter. I would prefer not to airlock, but may have to in order to get back those open crew slots in order to have space for new crew that have value.
  • Options
    I still like the idea of treating them like arenas. Percentages. If 150,000 players end up playing, then perhaps the top 3000 players get the 5 star rewards, 6000 get the 4 stars, and the top 30,000 get the 3 stars, or somesuch. (2%, 4%, 20%, or however it's divvied).
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure, that then someone complains with words like "I finished at 1.1% and no 5 Star, DB change it to 1.5%!" and so on...!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    BenSon2007 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, that then someone complains with words like "I finished at 1.1% and no 5 Star, DB change it to 1.5%!" and so on...!

You can never please all people, but you can make things more equitable and proportional and give something the majority to be glad about

However on lightly played events this could cut both ways......
  • Options
    You makin' fun of me Rizzo? (You young-ins that don't get the reference, watch Grease).
  • Options
    I suspect making the rewards more achievable it might stimulate competition and increase the players active at the top levels. Good for DB, but not necessarily existing players.
  • Options
    +1 for making it percentage based. This would stabilise the rewards through time.

Of course, there's money to be made in not doing so. I've been slipping ever since the game was launched. The more popular the game becomes, the more whales that speed up in front of me. I used to get 5 star rewards somewhat easily without spending money in the first events. I now spend a little and can barely get 4X4stars reward. The option for me would be to spend more.... might just be why micro-transaction games are set-up that way (it's certainly not a STT- or DB-only issue).

I personally failed my four final shuttle and ended 4000 vp short of the last reward. My chances went from 65 to 90ish % yet they all failed. Am I mad? Of course not, it's just a game.
    Admiral of the Québec Alliance Fleet. Joignez-vous à nous.
  • Options
    Here is how I see it. If they cannot even make new code work well, do you really expect them to be able to change code that they wrote almost 2 years ago? The whole code base is probably worse than a plate of spaghetti and they would never be able to work through it to give us something that works. I sure wouldn't want to be the dev that has to rework that code.
  • Options
    I disagree about using percentage based. In Olympic or other competitions, doesn't matter if there are 1000, 10k, 100k people competing... there are always 3 winners: gold, silver, and bronze.
  • Options
    BeamMeUpDB wrote: »
    I disagree about using percentage based. In Olympic or other competitions, doesn't matter if there are 1000, 10k, 100k people competing... there are always 3 winners: gold, silver, and bronze.

Would be a funny picture, the best 1% from New York Marathon, 500 1st places...
  • Options
    PaPa ✭✭
    edited November 2017

The number of participants in an olympic competition is more or less stable (maybe +- 20%). Here, the first events were played by maybe around 10,000 players and the first 1,000 got a legendary character (top 10%). Today there are maybe 100,000 players and still only the first 1,000 get one (top 1%). At some point you'll have to be a whale to get into the top 1000 at all. I remember the first event I placed 1600 with no good crew at all (a few decent 3* chars perhaps). Until a few months ago I usually placed 3000-5000. Now I have a few dozen immortalized 4* and some FE 5* but I only recently placed the first time under 1000. In faction events. I'm almost ignoring galaxy/expedition events where I only place around 7000.
  • Options
    I don't have an issue with only the top 1000 getting the 5*.
    My issue is that the difference in rewards between ranking 26th - 100th isn't enough.. merits, trainers etc mean very little to me. Single premium pulls rarely give anything beyond a 3* or ship schematics
    Ranking in the top 100 should give a 2/5* at least. Top 250 should get the 10x premium pull.
  • Options

A further issue is would the percentages be dynamic as the event went on? If 150k players start an event, how many will actually 'compete'? After day one or two 50% of the players may stop playing the event... does the percentages adjust for this? Too many variables as an event goes on to make it workable.

On the other hand, if its static and the percentages are set based on the event participants after say.. 24hrs into the event, based on active event players you could get a scenario where some events the top 2000 or 3000 get the 5* and in other events it may be only the top 500 or 750. It all gets convoluted and confusing. DB struggles as it is with just getting event crew info out as it is.
  • Options

How about 1st, 2nd, 3rd place get the current 1-2-3 rewards, and then the top 1% get the equivalent of the 16-25th place rewards (2x5*, if memory serves) and the next 10%(2-11%) get the top 26-50 reward(1x5*)
  • Options
    I can´t be bothered with those events...no time to bob around all day...tried that like three times and ended up with mediocre rewards
    frankly, those events are plain and simple P2W