Home The Bridge

Former DB STT game director reveals all?

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in The Bridge
So there’s a guy on the STT Facebook page named *REDACTED* who claims to be the former DB game director for STT. He volunteered to answer some questions about the game. Judging from his responses, he seems credible. I asked him about the “AND” bug. He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

*EDIT* I removed his name since it occurred to me that may be against forum policy. It won’t be hard to figure out who I’m talking about if you look in the Star Trek Timelines group on Facebook.

Comments

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a link?
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, link please. I would love to read this but if he didn’t know what the AND bug is I question his credibility. That was a HUGE deal
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It’s the Star Trek Timelines group. It’s private so you’ll have to join to see his post.

*EDIT* The group pic is this...
    85u6x808493v.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/181490765563427/?ref=share
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Yes, link please. I would love to read this but if he didn’t know what the AND bug is I question his credibility. That was a HUGE deal

He‘s real though(who he claims he is/was). ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
    I just read the huge thread. He does seem to know quite a bit about what he’s talking about.
    My take away from this was, we should have been flooding CS with tickets about the AND bug if we actually wanted an answer, instead of begging here. Live and learn.
    My take away from this was, we should have been flooding CS with tickets about the AND bug if we actually wanted an answer, instead of begging here. Live and learn.

He said by far the most tickets are for stuck voyages and they couldn’t really do anything about it so maybe, maybe not
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not acknowledging the And Bug might not mean anything. Did anyone from DB ever do so?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    He said something that gave me the impression that if it wasn’t something that popped up in tickets, they weren’t really aware it was a problem. That’s just how it sounded to me.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me he sounds legit. And his future outlook for the game sounds quite promising...

To me he sounds legit. And his future outlook for the game sounds quite promising...

I agree on both accounts.

• To me he sounds legit. And his future outlook for the game sounds quite promising...

A LOT of the stuff he was mentioning that was in the works seemed really great. Totally agree.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
    I don’t have Facebook, could anyone summarize what he said about the future of the game/what’s in the works?

He said he doesn’t know what the new owners may have in store but he did say that then purchasing the game was great for its future. He also said they have pretty much been in charge since January so the December deals may have been DB’s farewell niceness but Convergence Day and Leap Year stuff was all then.

The part after January are my words, not his
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    He said he doesn’t know what the new owners may have in store but he did say that then purchasing the game was great for its future. He also said they have pretty much been in charge since January so the December deals may have been DB’s farewell niceness but Convergence Day and Leap Year stuff was all then.
    Ah thanks, that does sound promising.

Well if they’re to thank for the 50+ legendary citations I got from the Convergence Day deals then by all means, hail Tilting Point may their reign last forever
    Ah thanks, that does sound promising.

Well if they’re to thank for the 50+ legendary citations I got from the Convergence Day deals then by all means, hail Tilting Point may their reign last forever

I think most people would agree. For those who went for the deals, Xmas and Leap Year included, I’m sure they (we) will tell you they (we) are in a better position game wise

edited March 2020
    I don’t have Facebook, could anyone summarize what he said about the future of the game/what’s in the works?

Thanks for the summary for those of us who avoid Facebook like its the Borg.

Ha! I totally get it. I only use it cuz I had a page for Banjo where we went around our town and showed all the history that still stands. Once we were done, people didn’t want to stop seeing his adventures so it’s been ongoing for about 4 years. That and the few dozen Cairn Terrier groups I’m in. Made some lifelong friends all over the world through them and it’s pretty uplifting to see everyone’s best buds and their adventures. It’s my happy place

• He said something that gave me the impression that if it wasn’t something that popped up in tickets, they weren’t really aware it was a problem. That’s just how it sounded to me.

This is true. Shan has said many times in engineering if you dont send tickets they dont know. And to add as much info as possible in the ticket or engineering post. , screen shots, platform, device and version info
    Shan is great, but she is the forums Moderator/mediator not the tech dept. she can pass things along, but complaints of malfunctions on the forums are not nearly as eye opening and productive for getting tech attention as flooding CS with tickets.
    When the game is down, Shan can get that addressed ASAP obviously bcuz you cant get in to send a ticket. When there are multiple complaints in engineering of “game down” Obviously that gets top attention as she passes it up the channels.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said something that gave me the impression that if it wasn’t something that popped up in tickets, they weren’t really aware it was a problem. That’s just how it sounded to me.

He was only in charge for a year. I'd have to check dates, but I think the unannounced secret fix was more than a year ago. So the AND but was likely an old bug fixed before he got involved and it was just never on his radar.

Ha! I totally get it. I only use it cuz I had a page for Banjo where we went around our town and showed all the history that still stands. Once we were done, people didn’t want to stop seeing his adventures so it’s been ongoing for about 4 years. That and the few dozen Cairn Terrier groups I’m in. Made some lifelong friends all over the world through them and it’s pretty uplifting to see everyone’s best buds and their adventures. It’s my happy place

I've probably admitted before I am slow on the uptake sometimes. I thought "Banjo" was for being musical. But, your screen name is like the "Banjo" who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" and is on some banknotes from Oz.

He was nicknamed "Banjo" because of a favorite horse, not his musical talent!!!!!!!!

Banjo is your furbaby bud!!!!!!!!
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

I've probably admitted before I am slow on the uptake sometimes. I thought "Banjo" was for being musical. But, your screen name is like the "Banjo" who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" and is on some banknotes from Oz.

He was nicknamed "Banjo" because of a favorite horse, not his musical talent!!!!!!!!

Yes, that is correct. And he is my avatar. I got Banjo 5 Xmas’s ago. My wife got me a Banjo for Christmas that year, making instrument number 9 I figured out how to play. (10 now as I have since mastered the bouzouki).We took a few minutes with the what do we name him convo then it just hit us. BANJO!!! Perfect name for his personality and then we can say we got each other Banjos for Christmas. In case you didn’t know this, my in game Captain name is Schmallen. And I will also go as far to introduce myself. Hello. My name is Allen.

Yes, that is correct. And he is my avatar. I got Banjo 5 Xmas’s ago. My wife got me a Banjo for Christmas that year, making instrument number 9 I figured out how to play. (10 now as I have since mastered the bouzouki).We took a few minutes with the what do we name him convo then it just hit us. BANJO!!! Perfect name for his personality and then we can say we got each other Banjos for Christmas. In case you didn’t know this, my in game Captain name is Schmallen. And I will also go as far to introduce myself. Hello. My name is Allen.

I'm Scott.

I'm Scott.
    pleased to meet you. No name deception there!

I'm Scott.

I use my name on most Forums. David is the "D", but everyone always called me "Scott" , because my grandad was "Russell", and my dad was "Russell David", so everyone called him "Dave". Funny thing,is none of us called me grandad "Russell". Their five kids grew up calling him "Honey", because that is what my Grandma called him. Passed on to the grandkids doing it, too.

I'm Scott.

I use my name on most Forums. David is the "D", but everyone always called me "Scott" , because my grandad was "Russell", and my dad was "Russell David", so everyone called him "Dave". Funny thing,is none of us called me grandad "Russell". Their five kids grew up calling him "Honey", because that is what my Grandma called him. Passed on to the grandkids doing it, too.

That’s so funny cuz we used to call my grandmother “ma” cuz we heard my mother calling her that. I love these little tidbits that all mankind have in common. Perhaps that is part of the lure of Star Trek. The things that tie us together as people

• Well that was a bit discouraging. He said portal updates are technically difficult (even he didn’t know why). He said there is also pushback from some on the team about updating the portal because they want to keep crew exclusive for as long as possible.

Also how was he in charge of STT but nobody knew who he was? Its been few years since I played daily but wasn’t there someone named Erin? I seem to remember DB having live events or something. No one me him at any of these events?
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also how was he in charge of STT but nobody knew who he was? Its been few years since I played daily but wasn’t there someone named Erin?

Yes, Erin left/got kicked at the end of 2018. DB advertised their search for a new game director, seemingly found the guy of this FB discussion. But never said anything about him or why Erin left etc.

• SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB doesn't release a lot of information about staff unless it's a C level position they're adding. Things have certainly improved since they replaced Erin
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!