Home The Bridge
Options

Did shuttle tokens ruin faction events?

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in The Bridge
This is just a general curiosity thing. It seems (for me at least,) that since shuttle tokens were added, faction events have become nearly intolerable. It’s gotten to the point that I hate them nearly as much expedition events. At one time, faction events were my favorite event type. I’m just curious if other people agree/disagree with my assessment.

Did shuttle tokens ruin faction events? 47 votes

Shuttle tokens ruined faction events.
19%
SSR Barkley[S47] ELiLCrunchyFleet{DD} SmellyIshmael MarxHamsters2Bluebeard1MirrorVerse JcWeyoun 69 9 votes
Shuttle tokens are awesome.
55%
Warrior WilloSabine of AthensCaptain Durf[QH] OxmyxeXo | SilverRose (retired)Jean-Luc KenobiOdo MarmarosaGib - Admiral MarinersmejoyhYateballDirk GundersonAandraa[ISA] Big McLargeHugeAldudeBylo BandAdmiral HessCaptain SMRJoeSage 2IvlainJenos Idanian 26 votes
I think something else and will elaborate in a comment.
25%
Zombie Squirrel RaraRacingFrank?IronagedaveWebberoniMirror CartmanEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Prime LorcaMe [AUS]EnderWSeven ConstanzaExanimus 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction events, since early 2016, have always and will always be pay to win - whomever spends the most real cash converted to DIL converted to insta-complete shuttles.

Tokens just let more people send more shuttles without spending the DIL. Doesn't really change the names in the top 1500 every faction event. Maybe, MAYBE tokens had an impact on placement around 15-25th place - but even then, you're still spending DIL chasing an extra star on the event legendary.

People could argue that boosts did the same thing 4 years ago when they came out.
    People could argue that the massive pools of bonus crew, along with seasoned players who have said massive pools of bonus crew, keep the top 1k competitive and you can't just show up and coast anymore.
    People did argue that squads and shared crew VP would break the events.

So no - I don't think tokens are the root of evil - this is how faction events have always been. It's just another method for people to try and rank.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty ambivalent. I couldn't place in the top 500 before they were added. Now I can. I think it's more a function of time playing than the tokens making a difference.

My spending, for perspective: I usually do the monthly card, plus campaign, plus one $10 event deal per month. Occasionally, I'll do a $25 deal like the recent pile-o-dilithium. I don't spend money specifically on rentals.

I worry a bit that the rentals and more specifically that they are part of the premium campaign are making it harder on f2p captains. That bums me out a bit. But for me personally, they haven't hurt my game.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if they are good. I had so many saved that I am going for top 50 this time. That would be impossible without tokens. But I can place top 1500 easily enough without them.
  • Options
    Hamsters2Hamsters2 ✭✭✭
    Factions used to be pretty set for top 1500. I knew what I had to do. Shuttle tokens have made them more wild. They are now more work, more worry, quicker and bigger swings. Maybe ruin is too strong a word. How about my opinion of shuttle tokens is 'Yuck!'.
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    To give some flavor on Lorca's point about the impact to F2P or event VIP0 -
    Normally, people don't think about VIP0 players placing high in shuttle events, because they lack 'resources' (mounds of DIL). They always have and will continue to win or do excellently in Galaxy and Skirm events, even Galaxy/Faction hybrids....but a full faction, no way! Right?

However, if you haven't learned this about VIP0 players by now, you should - they are a sneaky little bunch of strategists that will come up from behind you and take your spot on the faction event leaderboard if you don't pay attention. Many of them just sit on piles and piles and piles of shuttle boosts, have never used a token, and have waaaay better crews than you give them credit for. Hell, just a few weeks ago, Paladin and his 18 month old VIP0 account placed in the top 25 of what you could argue was the most competitive faction event ever - and he did it by carefully acquiring and saving the resources and then dumping at one opportune time.

So yes - tokens are a bit of a wet blanket in some circles, but I think they are fantastic for the VIP0/F2P crowd.

Now that 6 week-ish period of faction events where you could outright buy tokens and boosts and 2x rewards? That was cray.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think it makes it harder for F2P players. The premium campaign gives out a lot of tokens; I was able to finish 25th in a faction event because of them (and the other boosts that come mostly from Thurs cadet missions). I don't buy the boost offers, and I don't use Dil with shuttles, but there's no way I could ever have finished 25th without the extra 20-25 shuttles/day that I was able to send.

Before tokens, faction events had become a bit boring, because there was really no practical way to move up after the first day or so. Of course, this also made them "easy" in that the effort needed to play was quite minimal - just rinse and repeat. Tokens (plus a deep roster) make it much more possible to change one's rank position, which is great if you want to move up, but not so great if you just want to maintain an early rank positioning (since you're always trying to hold off the players trying to move up). It has become much more of a chore than it used to be. Maybe that's a good thing, and maybe it's not, but it is my experience that tokens have dramatically changed how faction events are played.

Taking those 2 paragraphs together - I think it's made it harder on deep-roster players and more insurmountable for F2P players to break through. That seems like a bad combination to me.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    The premise of the question assumes that faction events weren’t terrible to begin with. Truly, this is the event type I dislike the most.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    From my point of view they are just a way for more of us to reach threshold and who wants to compete for top 1500 will do it anyway.
  • Options
    Faction events are still my favorite event type, but they've become more time consuming and they also require more resources to enter the top 1500 (more time boosts). I don't really care about the resources, because I rarely go for the ranked reward anymore, but I dislike the fact that I had reached a point where I could do that easily about one year ago and now I need to pay attention again to where I rank and not to skip any round of shuttles, log in every 90 minutes and so on.

But I don't think that's because of shuttle tokens. I think it's mostly because of campaigns and double rewards from cadet challenges and because more and more people have played long enough to have most 4* immortal. So now there are many more people with lots of bonus crew and generally decent crew and with a good supply of time boosts, double-reward boosts and shuttle tokens, who can go for the ranked reward if they want to.

What bothers me is that faction events used to be the least grindy and time consuming event type and now (when I want to reach the top 1500) they're starting to be annoying too. Not as much as a Galaxy and not even close to a Skirmish, but if it keeps getting worse there will really be no event type left that I don't hate :/
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the experience to say if they "ruined" the event type. At way under a year it's all I've known.

From observations, I would say they probably don't. Except from a certain perspective I'm sure doesn't actually exist.

For the people that can afford it, the tokens probably just function as a discount. If they are spending, they will probably spend what they need to to hit the goal. If you use them as you get them they aren't going to change where you rank that much. Shuttles still need to be crewed. Ten shuttles don't add that much if the odds on the last 4 or 5 are low. The differences are mostly clustered at the top end I'm sure.

If there is more competition it's most likely down to the growing 4* and 5* crew base. The larger field of potential crew and periodic additional crew slots are what is fueling the sending of greater numbers of fleets at one time. Larger rosters can seat more shuttles. Not a complaint, just a reality. People with enough crew to send 15 shuttles will want to do it.

If people are spending for boosts. Tokens don't matter. Enough time boosts and a single shuttle is all you need. Relying on tokens means depending on shorter time boosts. Without the time boosts tokens will only take you so far. The two factors I would think have more of an impact on the event are boosts and crew size.

As mentioned, tokens can be horded. As can boosts. I'm sure it could be very frustrating for some one spending a lot of money when a f2p account comes out of nowhere to cash in.

I haven't been around for most of it. But some aspects of the game have obviously grown. The focus on profiting off more powerful cards rather than lower power flavor cards has led to larger more powerful crews that are harder to pare down into the fridge. And people are finding ways to use them. Tokens are most likely a relatively small impact on the larger competition picture.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I think there are many underlying factors for shall we say more competitive factions this event in particular:
    1) More crew is added every week (i know shock horror) therefore more bonus pool, more power creep with strong bases e.g. Desperate Riker, Riker Q, Captive and 1701 Bashir are effectively an upgrade of RAF Bashir these newer crew are not in portal so if you missed the event or had to space them for whatever reason you're at a disadvantage.
    2) this event has some bonus crew that was previously Pack only Protomorphosis Riker, Mycelial Culber, the latter being uite a key one.
    3) Seats not 100% sitting that well with bonus crew in some of the faction missions. This again relies on having more in depth squad than usual to optimise success rate.
    4) Premium track not only provides tokens but extra shuttle packs and dilithium making it easier to buy shall we say a bit more frivolously on extra tickets for Thursday's cadet challenges.
    5) Event type schedule - this can be another factor particularly as the recent alternations have been somewhat erratic.

Then we get to the player creature habits of the 'silent but violent' stockpilers as mentioned above, just biding their time till they throw everything into an event, these are the same people who probably have all the loo roll right now.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before shuttle tokens, I was able to place in the top 400-600 consistently in faction events. Of course, that required setting 3-hour alarms for 96 straight hours, including overnight for 4 straight nights.

On the negative side, factions have become far more competitive, even to finish in the top-1500.

On the positive side, there is more flexibility to make up ground if you don't want to wake up overnight.

Once you have a strong enough crew and stockpile of tokens, I think the pros & cons even themselves out.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Factions are my favorite event type and I have a strong aversion to paying dil to recall or send extra shuffles, I think tokens are great. With their aid I was able to hang around in the top 25 in this event (probably will end up just outside the top 50 because I ran out on Saturday), whereas I usually end up somewhere between 500 and 1000 when I only use time-reducers to push for rank.
  • Options
    I see them as a way to catch up on the rewards when I am unable to log in at the start of the event and during the day Friday. I am not playing for a high rank but only clearing the thresholds. Being able to do this also depends on the strength of my crew for the event of course.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Factions are my favorite event type and I have a strong aversion to paying dil to recall or send extra shuffles, I think tokens are great. With their aid I was able to hang around in the top 25 in this event (probably will end up just outside the top 50 because I ran out on Saturday), whereas I usually end up somewhere between 500 and 1000 when I only use time-reducers to push for rank.

Sorry about falling our of top 50. That is partly me. I'm blowing a year's worth of resources to make top 50. It won't happen again. You can return next faction event.
  • Options

Dirk you need to have 200 tokens to make a run at top 25. I think you found that out though.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit of a weird player ... used to be zero spender but with the introduction of campaigns have started buying those ... I've also been a fairly casual player, especially when it comes to events ...

My first 5* through an event was through a faction event ... Mirror Data ... you had to rank top 1000 back then ... I felt this was a massive achievement, I had taken my time to build my crew with the driver to not airlock crew I did not own ... this meant I was basically freezing my immortal 4*s on a constant basis.

My second was Away Team Saru, again a faction event ... until tokens (and skirmish events) were introduced I constantly ranked well (time permitting) in faction events ... since then my average has taken a massive dive and Faction events have become my worst event-type by far.
    (I also have never set my alarm to wake up every 3 hours to send out new batches of shuttles, as players used to do - guess you don't need to with tokens).

For me, this has meant that the more time-consuming events (galaxy, hybrid, skirmish) have become more "important" in crew quality progression, but on the other hand, I've never been a player who puts massive amounts of time into the game. Put these two together and it means I'm starting to experience burn-out.

I genuinely used to like faction events, because it gave me a sense of my crew's progression ... I was able to do well because I'd put time into collecting/developing my crew ... now I can only really do well if I put time into grinding events ... it feels like there is no middle ground anymore.
    Add that to the fact that it is now fairly easy for any player to build up resources (free campaign track, ad warps etc. etc.) it has become a lot harder for a casual player (like me) to continue getting enjoyment out of the game ... But, maybe that's okay, let the serious players get the rewards.
  • Options
    Since the tokens and double up, I have started placing well in Faction Events.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crusoe wrote: »

Dirk you need to have 200 tokens to make a run at top 25. I think you found that out though.

I didn’t come in intending to go that nuts (just top 1500 for Scotty), but I was doing so well on Thursday night I figured I might as well go for it. You’re right that I should have had 200 tokens to stay up there, and I only had about 110.

Sorry about falling our of top 50. That is partly me. I'm blowing a year's worth of resources to make top 50. It won't happen again. You can return next faction event.

I’m going to stock up again before making another such run. Between the 110ish tokens and maybe 125 3* time-reducer boosts I spent, I won’t be making any top 25/50/100 runs again for a little while.
  • Options
    I stockpile them, and when the right (for me) faction event occurs, I use those (plus my stockpiled boosts and point doublers) to get ranked in the double digits. Last month or so I actually managed to squeak in at rank 49 - my personal best . I only purchase the monthly dilithium and the boost for the campaigns , so I try to be careful with resource management.
  • Options
    Frank? wrote: »
    Faction events, since early 2016, have always and will always be pay to win - whomever spends the most real cash converted to DIL converted to insta-complete shuttles.

Tokens just let more people send more shuttles without spending the DIL. Doesn't really change the names in the top 1500 every faction event. Maybe, MAYBE tokens had an impact on placement around 15-25th place - but even then, you're still spending DIL chasing an extra star on the event legendary.

Somehow? I strongly disagree and in fact think the exact opposite has happened. I used to place always within the top 1500 rank and most of my fleetmates did too. None of us spent di on instant returns. If you are on the free track, and spend little or no $ you have only a few tokens. This is worthless.
    It is the $ spenders buying the packs and premium track that allow ppl to have a stockpile of tokens, leading to a Mass return of shuttle claims within the last 3hrs-30 min of the event. Dramatically altering the end result.
    I understand instant returns happen, im not disputing that. Those players have been a “constant” Since the inception of shuttles events. Since tokens were invented there is a huge displacement of rank during the last few hours of the event that did not occur before. Everyone (di spender or not) had a basic rank within the top or not, and you could count on that rank to vary a bit but you knew if you were going to get the ranking gold or not within the last 3.0 hrs. Now it can change so fast to knock out a 600 rank to a 1650 or more, within the last stretch of the event. I see it every shuttle event now.

The di spenders are token spenders too. So now non or minimal spenders are shut out by the spenders basically doubling down the $$$ to get tokens, and instant di returns on masses of shuttles tokens.
    Absolutely tokens have altered the event, way more than boosts, or any other widely Avail free variable within. Everyone can get a min of 6 boost packs a week for free. If you have double add option its 12. For free. Available to everyone.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't care less where I rank. I am all about the threshold, and shuttle tokens helps me get there
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    I'm always going to be in favor of options that give me more flexibility and let me sleep through the night.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that there have been several things that have contributed to the increased faction scores:
    1. Ad warps on cadets, boost packs available on Thursdays moved from 6 to 16-18.
    2. Tokens (and the addition of them to both free/premium campaigns)
    3. Addition of skirmishes, resulting in less frequent faction events, so more boosts available per event.
    4. More people with well developed crews

I tend to think for top 1500, the main drivers aren't so much people spending additional money directly on tokens, but the following:
    1. At 6 boost packs a week and 1 faction every 3 events, that's 18 boost packs per faction or about 20 3* boosts. At 100% passing that's an extra 40k vp from time boosts.
    2. At 17 per week and 4 weeks per faction, thats 68 boost packs or about 75 3* boosts. At 100% passing that's an extra 150k vp from time boosts, 110k per event more than the old amount.
    3. 11 extra tokens for free campaign, is a potential extra 88k vp every 4 weeks.
    4. Spenders could have even more available, but the 9.99 spenders in my fleet tend to either stockpile their tokens, or use the tokens to avoid setting alarms over night. If you set alarms, you can get by with just 3* boost usage.

Just the free stuff results in an extra 200k vp available for a faction event once every 4 weeks (110k from boosts, 88k from tokens). Spending shifts that a little more weighted to tokens.

For free to play players, tokens allow much bigger highs in vp from stockpiling. if you only push for a top 1500 in a faction every 3 months rather than once a month, you can accumulate close to 150 tokens over 18-24 months. 150 tokens, plus 3* boosts for the whole event, is enough for top 15-25. Before tokens, top 25 was already becoming impossible for ftp players, and they really had no option for a end of event push. Now you can send lots of tokens to claim right at the end.