Home The Bridge

The SilverWorst Challenge

As I posted on Facebook and Reddit earlier today, I was going to do a full post after event end but someone already spilled the beans.

Basically, every time you're on top the leaderboard, people message you or talk about you calling you names and saying that you're a cheater or that you're a bad person for wasting a lot of money.

I've been in a bad headspace for a while now and the insults in-game and on discord were getting to me, so I decided to turn them on their head.

On Sunday, I announced to eXo and our friends in our general chat that I was doing the SilverWorst challenge where I'd donate $100 to charity (capped at $1,500) for every message I got insulting me, telling me how much money I wasted, or calling me a cheater for this event.

My charity that I chose to support is the people impacted by the tornadoes in Tennessee. We have a fleetmate whose community has basically been demolished by the storms who is working tirelessly every day to support his friends and give back to his community. Corona has dominated the news, but there are still a lot of people in need there. I'm a Floridian who has lived through a few devastating hurricanes, and I know that a hot meal and shower is what makes you feel human after things like this, and with the virus dominating airwaves, what these people are going through right now is easily forgotten. I also did a side bet for an additional $500 to the make a wish foundation in case the hate couldn't be contained.

And I'm overjoyed to report that both causes have been fulfilled!

Thank you to the $400 from in-game messages, the $200 from the STT discord, $100 from reddit for downvoting me, and over $1,000 from Facebook for your tongue in cheek hate.

All we have is each other in these trying times. As more of us get moved to quarantine / work from home, these virtual bonds are sometimes all we have.

Be excellent to each other. Be kind. And above all LLAP and thank you for your help in reaching the goals, even those who unintentionally supported them. 8ab6uw9ke96s.png
4d2m27m6le8s.png
Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!

Comments

• For those who'd like to contribute also, here are the links: https://putnamcountytn.gov/relief/ for tornado relief and http://wishnight20.givesmart.com/ for the WI kids of make a wish who had their trips/events canceled due to quarantines.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can attest to the validity of the hate messages. One message I received said are you a bot? I replied no, I’m a winner. Another told me I would not be worthy of competing with their second account. And then you have a certain fleet, of which I’ve never seen on the forum before so I am not talking about anyone I’ve seen here, that has made up sob stories to message me (and others have told me this too) that hey, my dog died. It would make me feel better if you let me win. Silver, I was part of your fleet once and am no longer but that had nothing to do with you as I have always respected you and have always known you’re a great person. That will never change and this post only strengthens that. Bless you for being who you are.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get nasty messages just for winning Gauntlets, I can only imagine what winning an event does to one's inbox. If you need to vent, feel free to reach out.
  • ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Would it be possible to implement something where messages are disabled during events expect by those on your friends list or in your fleet? Because this is sad.

@eXo | SilverRose Thank you for your positivity during these tough times! And Congratulations on your position! :)
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I congratulate you on both your event success and your philanthropy.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the donations. I went to reddit and still haven’t found the post.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I posted on Facebook and Reddit earlier today, I was going to do a full post after event end but someone already spilled the beans.

Basically, every time you're on top the leaderboard, people message you or talk about you calling you names and saying that you're a cheater or that you're a bad person for wasting a lot of money.

I've been in a bad headspace for a while now and the insults in-game and on discord were getting to me, so I decided to turn them on their head.

On Sunday, I announced to eXo and our friends in our general chat that I was doing the SilverWorst challenge where I'd donate $100 to charity (capped at $1,500) for every message I got insulting me, telling me how much money I wasted, or calling me a cheater for this event.

My charity that I chose to support is the people impacted by the tornadoes in Tennessee. We have a fleetmate whose community has basically been demolished by the storms who is working tirelessly every day to support his friends and give back to his community. Corona has dominated the news, but there are still a lot of people in need there. I'm a Floridian who has lived through a few devastating hurricanes, and I know that a hot meal and shower is what makes you feel human after things like this, and with the virus dominating airwaves, what these people are going through right now is easily forgotten. I also did a side bet for an additional $500 to the make a wish foundation in case the hate couldn't be contained.

And I'm overjoyed to report that both causes have been fulfilled!

Thank you to the $400 from in-game messages, the $200 from the STT discord, $100 from reddit for downvoting me, and over $1,000 from Facebook for your tongue in cheek hate.

All we have is each other in these trying times. As more of us get moved to quarantine / work from home, these virtual bonds are sometimes all we have.

Be excellent to each other. Be kind. And above all LLAP and thank you for your help in reaching the goals, even those who unintentionally supported them. 8ab6uw9ke96s.png
    4d2m27m6le8s.png

Kudos to you!!!!! I sincerely hope you finish first in the Event, and your gifts to help people in need are an awesome gesture and should very well be praised. Jelly people gotta jel. That is on them, not you!!!!!!
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I get nasty messages just for winning Gauntlets, I can only imagine what winning an event does to one's inbox. If you need to vent, feel free to reach out.

I remember when that dude called you out right here on the Forums, while you were on your quest to complete the Gauntlet Collection. He ever apologize?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    @eXo | SilverRose you have been one of my forum, and now Discord, heroines. Your generosity knows no bounds and you deserve nothing but the best.

As for the haters, "May their crotch be infested with the fleas from 1000 camels and their arms too short to scratch."

Wow! That would be brutal!

• Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about this, and kudos for turning onto the high road.

I've received clusters of friend requests during the few occasions I've made deep runs at the leaderboard. I reject them all, 'cause they invariably are names I've never seen. If I do get one from a name I know, I'll reply. Otherwise, I just assume they're either trying to troll me, monitor me, or recruit me, and I don't have time for any of those things while I'm trying to compete in an event. Of course, I'm not a fleet admiral, so I don't feel any obligation to respond to a potential future fleetmate. (Shameless plug: If you are interested in joining =GBP=, find me outside of an event and I'll happily introduce you to our Admiral.)
  • This is a story that I love to hear. Turning hate into a positive. Well done SR.

I've received clusters of friend requests during the few occasions I've made deep runs at the leaderboard. I reject them all, 'cause they invariably are names I've never seen. If I do get one from a name I know, I'll reply. Otherwise, I just assume they're either trying to troll me, monitor me, or recruit me, and I don't have time for any of those things while I'm trying to compete in an event. Of course, I'm not a fleet admiral, so I don't feel any obligation to respond to a potential future fleetmate. (Shameless plug: If you are interested in joining =GBP=, find me outside of an event and I'll happily introduce you to our Admiral.)

Yes, those friend requests come too. I found they are usually from “Captain” with no avatar at level 9

• Unfortunately in game msg has its ups and downs. , “hate mail”, ”inappropriate msg”, intentional misleading to enter a fleet then cause havoc and chaos all happens.
    The virtual world has no boundaries when ppl can hide behind a screen and attack others in any way. “Cyber bullying” has been happening for a long time. It is disconcerting that this is the case in our trek world. However i choose to believe these ppl are not trek minded and block them. Anyone can play the game. Even mean ppl. Kudos 👍🏻 to you SilverRose for embracing something unwanted, distasteful,.. and turning lemons to lemon-aid. The trek minded way to go. 🖖🏻

How do you monitor someone with a friend request?
  • CrusoeCrusoe ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Congrats SilverRose on your 1st place finish and on your charitable nature.
    I remember Banjo posting about it on his first attempt for a first place finish.
    People just do not understand all the ways one can get those high scores early. They think it has to be cheating. Or, they try to get you to quit.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you monitor someone with a friend request?

If they are a friend, you can see if they are online at any given moment, and presumably use that information to overtake them in the leaderboards.
    Ah, i had understood incorrectly that meant you could always see their rank.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really admirable that you did this. Turn a negative into a positive. Great job! :)