Home Make It So!

Timelines Tales

ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
Something I said somewhere else gave me an odd idea. I was thinking of it as mini episodes at the time, but it kinda morphed in my head.

The idea is still only half formed, sorry. And it would only really work if the devs behind the game thought it was worth doing.

Stories played out by what you have. Unlocking a story would entirely depend on having all the required pieces. Kinda like collections. For instance, if you have a specific card(s), a specific ship. You can play through a story that explains how they arrived in the Timelines continuity. You could play through it as a sort of achievement. A collection of story elements and activities like a shuttle mission, construction tasks, or ship battles. You can always replay them, but maybe the first time through it drops one time stuff. This could be a way to introduce cards or ships that can only be gained through the Tale.

Let's say for example you have 2* Worf card and a Klingon ship. It could unlock a Tale about a martial arts tournament. Boarding the ship, a dangerous trip, picking up items on a unique away mission. At the end it drops a copy of a card unique to finishing that Tale (and consumes the 2* card).

Or collection of Cards that run through a Tale and the ship becomes a new ship. For instance, running a Tale of the Enterprise and specific LaForge, Riker, Worf, Crusher encountering the Borg and at the end the ship is consumed and you get a new Assimilated Enterprise. Or run through a Tale with a generic constitution class and have it become a named ship. The player can always recollect for the generic ship again.

Think of it as a combination of a collection, an achievement, and a fussion.

TP/DB could drop in secret ways to upgrade cards or ships for us to discover. Or to drop in unique cards and ships that aren't in the portal. Or just write some interesting stories to flesh out the cannon of their version of the ST universe.

Comments

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave you an Awesome for this yesterday, I think this is a very interesting idea.
  • I've had similar notions of adding more RPG elements to Timelines...I'm new to this game, but I'm also an old-school roleplayer. One of the first things that occurred to me as I began to get my feet wet here, was "Why aren't these crew members getting some kind of synergy bonuses for being matched with their friends/allies?" It's really kind of a RPG concept, but wouldn't you assume that an away mission would be more successful with the cooperation between Kirk, Spock, & McCoy...or Riker, Data, & La Forge? Shouldn't a bridge crew perform better if populated with an all-DS9 ops staff, or maybe a complete set of Borg? What about sending Moogie, Quark, Rom, & Nog together on the same voyage...would certain hazards be easier to overcome?

With that being said, I realize that trying to incorporate synergy bonuses into Timelines at such a late date would be upsettingly impractical. Such a game-changing shift would redefine game balance in so many ways, that we'd pretty much have to throw out the old play book. So getting back to Examinus' ideas...the roleplayer in me could get very enthused about following episodic storylines or quests, be they prologues or chapters in a captain's ongoing journey. Some of these might be unlocked through use of certain crew, ships, or items, but some should remain generally accessible so that all players (big & small) can enjoy them. Cool idea!
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this idea. It seems labor intensive, so I will propose the idea of getting some of the ideas and writing from the community.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had similar notions of adding more RPG elements to Timelines...I'm new to this game, but I'm also an old-school roleplayer. One of the first things that occurred to me as I began to get my feet wet here, was "Why aren't these crew members getting some kind of synergy bonuses for being matched with their friends/allies?" It's really kind of a RPG concept, but wouldn't you assume that an away mission would be more successful with the cooperation between Kirk, Spock, & McCoy...or Riker, Data, & La Forge? Shouldn't a bridge crew perform better if populated with an all-DS9 ops staff, or maybe a complete set of Borg? What about sending Moogie, Quark, Rom, & Nog together on the same voyage...would certain hazards be easier to overcome?

With that being said, I realize that trying to incorporate synergy bonuses into Timelines at such a late date would be upsettingly impractical. Such a game-changing shift would redefine game balance in so many ways, that we'd pretty much have to throw out the old play book. So getting back to Examinus' ideas...the roleplayer in me could get very enthused about following episodic storylines or quests, be they prologues or chapters in a captain's ongoing journey. Some of these might be unlocked through use of certain crew, ships, or items, but some should remain generally accessible so that all players (big & small) can enjoy them. Cool idea!

I also like the synergy idea. I started table topping with D&D 3.5. This idea has probably been pitched before, but I think if you put your own twist on it like adding it to a new voyage-style event type, then it would make a great new thread. I hope you have a think on that and start a thread sometime. :)
    Farewell 🖖