Home The Bridge
Options

I've had a long think about this seemingly arbitrary number that is the max number of a unique item one can have in Timelines.

I know our American friends display their dates with the month first. So I have come up with the theory that this is a date? Perhaps one of the developers birthdays?

As today is March 27th - Happy 53rd anniversary/birthday to whomever it may concern.

Anyone able to shed any more light on this mystery or have any theories?

Comments

• Options
    32767 is the highest number you can represent using 15 bits (equivalent to 111111111111111) or the highest number you can represent using 16 bits in 2’s complement (0111111111111111)
  • Options
    I just realised that it is still the 26th. I must have the CovidCrazies
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.int16.maxvalue?view=netframework-4.8

Same limit applies to any programming language using 16 bit positive/negative integers.
  • Options
    [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    Which if they had used an unsigned integer, it could have been one bit larger
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Options
    [KM]Videm wrote: »
    Which if they had used an unsigned integer, it could have been one bit larger

I feel cheated out of 32768 basic trainers.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a signed integer. which is weird as to why, but i long ago discovered you could have negative dil

er4vwyg671j0.png
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a signed integer. which is weird as to why, but i long ago discovered you could have negative dil

er4vwyg671j0.png

The default in most languages is signed anyway. For the one extra bit of space it's often not worth thinking about using unsigned int. We'd be having the same discussion about 65,535. And then you'd really have issues with that negative dil giving people thousands of dil by mistake.

If you think you're going to hit 32k, you should just use 32 bit ints and have a max of 2,147,483,647 rather than hoping the difference between 32k and 65k is enough.
  • Options
    sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    It's trivial for the game client itself to deal with larger than 16 bit numbers. I've assumed it was a database space saving measure. It is known that they use MySQL on the backend, and MySQL has SMALLINT for a type, which is 16 bits. This assumes that it does actually only use the 2 bytes, and doesn't do something weird like limiting input to 2 bytes, but storing it as 4 bytes anyway.

I guess they never thought anyone would need more than 32k of most items. Which I suppose is true. All 5 of my training programs are maxed (32767), but that's it.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Options
    Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭
    I use all resources over 20000 as replicator fuel. The good thing is we don't have this limit for chronis and honor but not sure about dilithium.
  • Options
    sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    If there is a dilithium cap, it's over 300k. I saw figures that big from other people during the Independence Day screw up (July 2018 I think). I doubt they'd limit dilithium to anything even remotely small, considering it basically represents real money. Don't want to limit that!
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, programming language restriction. But I like the suggestion that we should celebrate Max Cap Day. But how?

Put 2 baseball caps on our heads at the same time?
    Put your biggest brim hat on?
    Type in ALL CAPS? (Uh, no, scratch that.)
    Buy some shares in the Max-Cap index fund? (Thanks for that one, google.)

This might be the worst non-survey I've seen on this forum. Good job, me. :D

I think I'll propose a "challenge" to my fleet:
    Post a screen shot of your bridge crew with 4 people wearing/holding hats. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    HAPPY MAX CAP DAY!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Prime Lorca [10FH] - I’m in!
    daw7x9wjvkz5.png
  • Options

I think I'll call yours "Caps and Collars". :)

Mine is TNG regulars with hats outside of the holodeck. (I don't have a name for it.)
    y51j44g19wrw.png
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I still find it hard to imagine that in 2020 people are still confused about base 2 numbers. There was an actual article written by one of those bigger websites. Gizmodo or Buzzfeed or something. I don't remember, but the person was complaining about the "arbitrary" number of 512 in some app.

This is what I can't wrap my head around. We're all exposed to base 2 numbers on a daily basis and have been for more than a decade in our ever increasing technological world. Some of us have been exposed to these on a daily basis for many decades, but the world as a whole has been deep in them for at least ten years. I don't get it.
  • Options
    IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    It's a zip code in Lake County, Florida. Does that mean anything?

No.
  • Options
    I still find it hard to imagine that in 2020 people are still confused about base 2 numbers. There was an actual article written by one of those bigger websites. Gizmodo or Buzzfeed or something. I don't remember, but the person was complaining about the "arbitrary" number of 512 in some app.

This is what I can't wrap my head around. We're all exposed to base 2 numbers on a daily basis and have been for more than a decade in our ever increasing technological world. Some of us have been exposed to these on a daily basis for many decades, but the world as a whole has been deep in them for at least ten years. I don't get it.

Erm, because not all of us work in coding? We press buttons and expect it to work. Lots of people board my trains and have been exposed to them for centuries, but they don't understand or need to know how the bogie is attached to the carriage. :)

Don't worry, @(HGH)Apollo will be here any time to tell @<TGE> Darxide to get off his high horse. But never fear, @[CH] OsirisSonOfGeb , TGE is known for their sarcasm. I'm sure it's just some light trollery.

I was hoping for a couple more screen shots to mark Max Cap Day.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Me [AUS]Me [AUS] ✭✭✭

I was hoping for a couple more screen shots to mark Max Cap Day.[/quote]

Well then can i join :)yyvotwsjb3vg.jpg

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me [AUS] wrote: »

[/quote]

Well played. Maxcapped Data.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Well played. Maxcapped Data.

I see what you did there, @DScottHewitt . golf clap
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options

[/quote]

Capped Data... Do you work for a cell service provider?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    My well covered non-bridge crew bridge crew.
    xqwuq31c9tuv.jpg

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAPPY MAX CAP DAY!

Man, is it 2067 already? Good to know we all survived the Coronavirus! But wow, that nap must've been longer than I thought. Just call me Rip Van Data. (Or should that be Data Van Winkle? 🤔)

uk399w8xre9s.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    My well covered non-bridge crew bridge crew.
    xqwuq31c9tuv.jpg

Max diversity! Different ethnicity, different series, different species... Well done!
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    HAPPY MAX CAP DAY!

Methinks ye perchance misread the memo... All Caps Day is next month... 😜

🤣🤣🤣
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"