Home Strange New Worlds

Are Discovery and Picard really Star Trek?

The debate rages in many threads. It's tiresome. Discuss it here. Vote if you want. Present arguments in a respectful manner, please. Hopefully the debate here will keep most of it out of other threads.

I'm not adding "other" as an option. If that's how you feel, then don't vote and explain your position in the comments.

Thank you.
Farewell 🖖

Are Discovery and Picard really Star Trek? 22 votes

Both Discovery and Picard are Trek
81%
Nad HalIvanstoneGrumpfer[Deleted User]RaraRacing~peregrine~[Deleted User]TP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)[TFA] CaptainObviousDScottHewitt[ISA] Big McLargeHugeSalamander ParisCaptain IdolMyimaginary ComposerJulesAugPengRocky6guest_1206642947943424 18 votes
Picard is Trek, but Discovery is not
18%
Jim RaynorNSEA Protector 2001Bound2FateTrek1966 4 votes
Discovery is Trek, but Picard is not
0%
Neither are real Star Trek
0%

Comments

• IMO this issue goes hand-in-hand with a more fundamental question of where we draw the line between "traditional" television canon and newer multimedia alternatives. An old-school trekkie (like myself) might only consider the regularly aired programs to be valid, while a latter-day fan might not even consider the concept of "airing" if they get all of their entertainment through streaming. Entertainment is still entertainment I suppose...but Trek fans are historically particular about what subject matter should be regarded as official. Oftentimes, none of the literature out there is included. The animated Filmation episodes are usually ignored, and feature-length films are carefully scrutinized as to how they do or don't conform to ST canon. What it always seems to boil down to (in my personal experience), is that the various live-action episodes represent the core chapters of the Trek bible, while everything else is up for debate. But then fans even disagree on specifically which programs/episodes should be considered official, so we're not done yet...

One almost fundamentalist school of thought doesn't acknowledge any Star Trek not created by Gene Roddenberry himself. So that essentially leaves us TOS, the cartoons, & TNG...by the time DS9 was green-lighted, Roddenberry's credit had become an honorarium. I can be old-fashioned in my ways, but that feels a bit extreme. In my mind, ST's greatest legacy is that of being a television phenomenon. Once a week it came into everybody's living rooms...everybody's, regardless of their social, economic, or political positions...and offered glimpses of a future frontier shared by all. This experience came to an end when they stopped broadcasting over-the-air, free for everybody to view. IMHO, that's when it stopped being television. I certainly don't object to newer programs being sold for a premium, but for me the last true Trek show was Enterprise.
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Very well thought out and stated. When somebody becomes so tightly wound-up that they're aggressively dictating their opinions upon others, no doubt they've crossed a few lines...
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III