Home Strange New Worlds

The First Nine Short Treks coming to DVD/Blu-Ray 2 June 2020

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?

Comments

• So they're basically making short stories set in the ST universe, with modern actors cast in the roles of classic characters? This could be interesting...are they supposed to be any good?
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    are they supposed to be any good?

I didn't realize it until I saw it:

But I really did need to watch a Loony Toons style Star Trek short cartoon.

VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • Oh, I was under the impression that these were live-action productions. Although I'm sure that the actors listed could do decent voicework, that's still disappointing.
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 2 of them are animated, the rest are live-action. And the characters are all from Star Trek: Discovery.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    Only 2 of them are animated, the rest are live-action. And the characters are all from Star Trek: Discovery.

Thank you, that clarifies things. Too bad they didn't draw upon all Trek characters from various eras (maybe even the cinematic alternate timeline)...this sounds a little too specialized for my tastes.

• IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

Thank you, that clarifies things. Too bad they didn't draw upon all Trek characters from various eras (maybe even the cinematic alternate timeline)...this sounds a little too specialized for my tastes.

The very well might. The first season loosely tied in with Discovery and are decent to watch.

The second season they more or less decided to cut loose with their imagination. Four out of the six are Discovery related although three of those are Pike's crew rather than Discovery's. The fourth story is animated and deals with Burnham's childhood. The Loony Toons episode is more or less a love letter to TOS. The sixth is a prelude to Picard.

Quite frankly I enjoy the Short Treks more than Discovery and Picard. And Enterprise. And Voyager.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • See, now you went and piqued my interest again lol. I'm an old TOS fan...so when you refer to Pike's crew, does that include familiar faces such as Number One, Young Spock, Doctor Bryce, & Yeoman Colt? Or maybe even early appearances of characters who were already advanced in years by the time Kirk met them? Random example: a young but clever lawyer Samuel Cogley is retained to defend one of Pike's crew, who's been framed for murder while on shore leave...something along those lines? Now THAT'S the sort of fresh nostalgia I could really get into :)

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Pike's crew" in this case is all versions from Star Trek: Discovery: the new Pike, played by Anson Mount, along with Spock as played by Ethan Peck and Number One as played by Rebecca Romijn.

But I've been hoping to get the original ship's doctor (Boyce) in the game for years. I suspect it probably won't happen, since it's often difficult to get rights to likenesses of actors who have long since passed away.

They haven't been able to get Roger C. Carmel's estate to sign off on his inclusion, so no "original recipe" Mudd, either.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"