Home The Bridge
Options

Citation advice - da Vinci vs White Rabbit

After chasing after Medic Reno, and not getting her, I was lucky enough to drop two cards I've been after a while - da Vinci and the White Rabbit.

Now, I've got two cites, Soji *was* going to be the recipient of one, but I figure I'd rather bump one of those up to 3/5.

The question is, which one? My main aim is for voyages, I can get 10 hours every now and again, and both look pretty similar from usefulness.

So any advice would be appreciated - *ding, ding, ding* let the fight begin! :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll answer you this way: I have Leonardo immortalized, and I'd trade him for a 1/5 White Rabbit without hesitation.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Rabbit has three traits and none of them appear particularly useful. Eng/Med/Sci is nice, but continue to improve your Gauntlet play and you'll get Caretakers dropping near-monthly. A Voyage total of 3807 is passable, but not quite enough for a check in the "plus" column. It does have a decent Eng base.... but it'll likely never get doubled in an event, and doesn't quite touch 1500 (which is my personal arbitrary figure for "great base").

I picked up White Rabbit recently, and it's pretty much just for show more than anything else! It seems a card that is better as a want than a have (see above!). Perhaps I should have taken that third star on Kal-if-ee Kirk after all! :tongue:

Leonardo has much healthier Voyage numbers - 3935 is pretty good, and while he's technically Sci/Eng/Med, his Eng and Sci Voyage numbers are nearly identical, so he performs slightly better in Eng/Med Voyages than his skill order suggests. Time has been relatively kind to Leo - even if you do outclass him this year, 3935 will still get him a Voyage seat whenever one of your top dogs is eventing or whatnot for years and years to come. Again, a few Caretakers will replace him eventually, but in this case will only tack a few extra total points on. He's also got eight traits which look like they'll get some usage here and there - not least if the Inspiring Collection gets tiered up like our Diplomats were recently. And he doesn't quite have White Rabbit's peak base, but he's close, and his secondary is well over 1000 too, giving him extra flexibility.

It's perhaps worth noting that I've had Leonardo for a couple of years now, and he's just itching to get into my gauntlets - but just never quite makes it, even at 65% (at least, for the past year).

Overall, I don't think either is worth four citations! To me, that's an enormous amount of citations, and neither character quite has the bite. Not a 4K Voyager, base superstar or event phenomenon. I could just see the case for adding three stars to Leo, or two to White Rabbit, maybe,but bringing them from 1 to 3 isn't going to help as much as bringing someone (like Soji, for example) to 5/5 for a quarter of the price.

And in general, it's simply not worth bringing anyone to any x/5 apart from 5/5. In the time it takes to pick up those last two citations, there's plenty of potential for better options to present themselves.

I'm a relatively low spender, mind you. If you're spending $20+ a month on this game, then you're probably raking in much more honor than me and don't need to be so careful with your cites!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would trade all Banjo's Trainers for a White Rabbit......

🐰🐇🖖🐇🐰

🤓🐱🤓🐱🤓
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve started tracking who has made it on 10-hour voyages, for a long-term project of being more rigorous when it comes to determining who I actually use and who can be sent to the freezer (right now it’s more, “I don’t remember using X in a while). I believe White Rabbit has been on more such voyages but both have been on more than one since I started tracking this a couple weeks ago. I’ll have to consult my spreadsheet to be sure.

What does that mean? They’re both great and should both eventually be immortalized. Leo might have a little more power (while trait bonuses are small by themselves they add up over time) but the Rabbit can fill a more challenging skills gap for any kind of voyage, not just the dreaded ENG/MED combo. Which one should go first? That’s a tougher call...if you need more SCI help on voyages, go with Leonardo. If you could use a strong ENG shuttle crew when not on voyages, White Rabbit is good for that as well.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Okay so instead using 1 cite to 5/5 Soji by the end of the event you will use them to bumb another crw to 3/5? Sorry, that makes not much sense.

1/5 or 3/5 crew stats doesn t increase very much, from 4/5 to 5/5 it does significant. Plus, Soji is the best voyages crew with MED/DIP skill combo(Med as main) and as well a great shuttle crew thx to 1200/1000+ bases for main skills.

Regarding ur question. Neither. Both are not worth to waste cites on them.
    If any than the Rabbit thx to MED/ENG voyages use.

But yeah, ur game ur way to play. If u just wanna see ur favorite crew 5/5 regardless if their stats are useful or not, then just do whatever you like.
    No judging her. Good luck. :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would trade all Banjo's Trainers for a White Rabbit......

🐰🐇🖖🐇🐰

🤓🐱🤓🐱🤓

Ha! Now that I reached the cheevo a while back, I’m up to 10,000 gold trainers. I don’t see it being an issue again. I was really scraping my bowl for quite a while there though so I’m guessing what you’re saying is you don’t put a ton of value on that wascally wabbit

• Options
    Thanks all, you've given me some food for thought.

@Prime Lorca [10FH] - I like to see progression, especially in the current situation, so I'm not great at saving cites! Plus one of the cites is from this campaign. I anticipate being able to FF them inside 2 - I'm also terrible at saving honour. The Christmas "Miracle" made me think though, but I've still got a few crew I want to see FF before I start saving.

@PenguinJim - My Caretaker is at 2/5, and I've since my second one dropped I've had several Guinans and an oil slick, but no more banjomen sadly! I only play the Gauntlet casually, mostly as it combines boredom and frustration, so I'll tend to have a few 3-21 streaks per week, but rarely finished inside the top 20 these days. I'm happy to be patient for those to drop.

Spending-wise, I'm usually a low spender - monthly dil and campaign, odd LTO - but been using beer tokens for the last few weeks on things other than beer ;) I took all 4 10 for 10s yesterday, which is where I got lucky, and I've never done that before, especially as I have a reasonably good roster.

@Dirk Gunderson - I was looking at Rabbit's ENG/MED combo, I've only got 5/5 Imprinted Archer who adequately covers that combination, the rest the ENG or the MED is tertiary.

@RaraRacing - thank you for the link to the thread, I can get 10 hours on a few combos, and MED/DIP I'm reasonably well covered with Cornwell/Darth Bashir/Crell/DA McCoy/Goddess Troi, but I'm going to have a good read through that thread, see what I add to my current setup.
  • Options
    furyd wrote: »
    @Dirk Gunderson - I was looking at Rabbit's ENG/MED combo, I've only got 5/5 Imprinted Archer who adequately covers that combination, the rest the ENG or the MED is tertiary.

Normally I would talk in terms of VORP, but with so few ENG/MED crew (just Archer, the Rabbit, and the new Reno) even Leonardo will have a pretty good VORP for ENG/MED voyages over anyone else not named Loken, Amanda Rogers, Torpedo Surgeon McCoy, Nude Phlox, or the Caretaker (I think that’s all of them). I’ve had both immortalized for a long time and have gotten a ton of use from both of them on voyages and shuttles, so that’s why I think you can’t go wrong with either.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me mega event re-occurring 5* crew is almost always worth a citation as soon as I get it. The only exceptions so far have been T'Kumva (my first mega) and Minuet (weak and two skill crew).

Giving the mega event crew a citation as soon as you earn her, will give a bonus across the entire event, saving chrons, making shuttles and skirmishes easier.

My advice is to wait until you have enough honor and citations to get a crew to 5/5, before moving them from 1/5. You might put two stars on White Rabbit, then get another copy of da-Vinci, or a better med/eng from an event.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me mega event re-occurring 5* crew is almost always worth a citation as soon as I get it. The only exceptions so far have been T'Kumva (my first mega) and Minuet (weak and two skill crew).

Giving the mega event crew a citation as soon as you earn her, will give a bonus across the entire event, saving chrons, making shuttles and skirmishes easier.

My advice is to wait until you have enough honor and citations to get a crew to 5/5, before moving them from 1/5. You might put two stars on White Rabbit, then get another copy of da-Vinci, or a better med/eng from an event.

I agree with this. Most mega recurrings have been strong. I was sour on Tenevik cuz I have like 632 COM/COM/DIP but he’s up there with the best of what I have. I think only recently acquired North Star T’Pol has eclipsed him. Garth is good. Picard and One is flame.....

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

I agree with this. Most mega recurrings have been strong. I was sour on Tenevik cuz I have like 632 COM/COM/DIP but he’s up there with the best of what I have. I think only recently acquired North Star T’Pol has eclipsed him. Garth is good. Picard and One is flame.....

🤓🖖👍🖖🤓
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Da Vinci quite well and he makes most voyages. I like how many traits he has as well as being sci-eng-med. I do not have white rabbit. I would suggest adding a citation to Soji unless you are going to buy end of the mega wrap up packs then hold the citation and see if you are lucky. I would hold off on adding stars to someone to take them from 1 to 3 stars as the most benefit is from 3 to 5. Do you have any good legendaries with 3 or 4 stars?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I got a White Rabbit I would dump him for a Mountain Mayweather. ESM crew are pretty common. ECM on the other hand?
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    If I got a White Rabbit I would dump him for a Mountain Mayweather. ESM crew are pretty common. ECM on the other hand?

SCI/ENG and SCI/MED crew are indeed quite common, either of those combos with ENG or MED are still uncommon but no longer impossible to find (I think there are seven in total), ENG/MED with SCI tertiaries are quite rare (three now, counting the new Reno), and any combination of ENG/MED/COM is rarer yet (of which there are two, and one of those two is somewhat of a power creep victim).

MC Mayweather (“can’t belay this”) would go to the top of my citation list for sure, no doubt about that.
  • Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    continue to improve your Gauntlet play and you'll get Caretakers dropping near-monthly.

Hi Jim, please could you elaborate on this point? I regularly finish in the top three, am able to get long runs but do not drop any of the cards in the Gauntlet. I assumed it was random. I am interested to learn your strategy. :)
  • Options
    @Zom[BAD] Squirrel - I've got MED/DIP covered, and in terms of the mega, I'm unlikely to be doing more than threshold and out, and for that I've got oodles of cyberneticists, so even if I fancy the 5* I can stuff shuttles with crew and likely keep to over 90% on more than 4 shuttles.

I'm going to fish for Soji in the post-mega packs, as I did with Picard/No. 1 - unless the crew offers me something significant, I no longer add a star right away.

@(HGH)Apollo - got 43 legendaries are 3 or 4 stars, none of them really add anything at this point except maybe Bounty Hunter Mudd (4/5), but I've got Ba'ul and TP Chuckles FF (a sixth star of whom was my first drop when trying to get Reno, yay) who offer the same ENG/SEC, but with a better tertiary in MED.

I want to thank everybody for their advice. I've opted to add 2 stars to the Wabbit, on the basis I'll have him FF inside 4 weeks and he'll join Imprinted Archer in the Awkward Combo Squad.

Definitely a lot of food for thought though.
  • Options

I recommend stockpiling honor in case there is an honor sale in the future. Spend at your own risk.

The best advice I read about that was in a thread I started earlier in the year, I cannot remember who gave the advice so sorry for giving no credit :( ...

Save 100,000 spend 50,000. Save 150,000 spend 50,000 etc. That way you're saving and enjoying a cite every so often. ( Personally I gamble on a behold so the figures are slightly better and more frequent for me :) )
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    continue to improve your Gauntlet play and you'll get Caretakers dropping near-monthly.

Hi Jim, please could you elaborate on this point? I regularly finish in the top three, am able to get long runs but do not drop any of the cards in the Gauntlet. I assumed it was random. I am interested to learn your strategy. :)

There were two strategies, but I think one of them has diluted to the point of indifference. Still, I'm keeping it a secret just in case! :tongue: The other strategy is, of course, to collect Gauntlet cards from begolds. Simply having the right crew is roughly half the battle.

As for tactics, there are many, many, many little tips and tricks to get ahead. It's not all RNG, there's a surprising amount of game theory involved. Well, surprising to me. When I started Gauntlet, I thought it was incredibly shallow and that there wasn't much scope for gameplay! It turns out, there are lots of ways to boost Gauntlet performance, like red-shirting. But I'm afraid I can't reveal all the tactics I've developed over the last two years, as you're my direct competition! Still, simply knowing that there are things to be done might be enough to get you thinking about non-obvious ways to do better. And it's worth putting the time in.

Drops are still random, but I tend to get a legendary about once every two weeks from Gauntlet. In my last six Gauntlets, four firsts and two seconds yielded two Armuses, a Guinan and a Caretaker (three from firsts), but that's extraordinary, and followed a ten-day dry spell.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, Jim. :)

I appreciate your candour... Game on. See you in the Gauntlet :)
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is to work on crew with high event potential who can also help with voyages. I'm not as big a fan of the Da Vinci's and White Rabbit's as I am the Imprinted Archer's and Medic Reno's.

I saw this nugget of advice on another thread but related to these two crew. Just to provide some perspective:

Event count
    Da Vinci - 10
    White Rabbit - 0

Imprinted Archer - 6
    Medic Reno - a billion.

Read into those numbers what you want ... but Da Vinci's Hologram and Innovator traits has meant he's been bonus crew for me as recently as Dirty Rotten Holograms 2 the re-run (though not used because I have better immortal crew, but would have used him if immortal) ... that number is similar to bridge crew like Uhura and Archer.

Ah, the value of good traits.

Here are some other crew with limited event potential that I've read good things about on the forum and most players would consider citing them ... Gary Seven, Julia Tainer, Boothby Replicant, Captain Braxton, Professor Sato ...

I agree with Prime Lorca in that you ideally want to work on the versatile crew (why my recommendation order above was Soji, Da Vinci, White Rabbit) ... but just because a crew does not have a "disco" tag or is not bridge crew doesn't mean they don't have high (relative) event potential, but to find that out requires a bit of time and research.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The Rabbit needs your citation bling... If I didn’t already have the White Rabbit, I would gladly trade all the hoarded TP in America right now for one copy.

6jhvpu7gv0go.jpeg

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I recommend stockpiling honor in case there is an honor sale in the future. Spend at your own risk.

The best advice I read about that was in a thread I started earlier in the year, I cannot remember who gave the advice so sorry for giving no credit :( ...

Save 100,000 spend 50,000. Save 150,000 spend 50,000 etc. That way you're saving and enjoying a cite every so often. ( Personally I gamble on a behold so the figures are slightly better and more frequent for me :) )

We all play in different ways, which is part of what makes the game interesting. I am a practitioner of the "spend while saving" approach as opposed to the "save indefinitely to make a big splash" approach. There's also the "50K and spend" method. Nothing wrong with any process as long as it works for the individual player. My own method right now is to earn 55K, spend 50K. Convergence Day knocked me down to 12K honor, and I'm back up to 70K as my long-term savings base (total 117K at the moment, so when I hit 120K, Tuxedo Nog gets his 5th star and Lucille Davenport gets her 3rd star). Then I'll wait until I hit 125K before buying the next citation, and so on. Bring on the skirmishes!

Edit: it occurs to me that my comment has nothing whatsoever to do with da Vinci or the Rabbit. So, to stay true to the thread... I'd go with da Vinci. Hologram is a very useful trait in my experience.