Home The Bridge
Options

Attack Speed Question

Does anyone know, if you have lets say, two crew that increase attack speed by 25%. If you activate both does it put attack speed up to 50%? Or just which ever is the highest? Like if you had one crew with +25% on and one with +15% would it put it to +40%? Or just 25% since it's the highest?

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like all bonuses, it is just the highest that counts.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

I figured. Too bad. :)
    I was thinking it would be fun to try out three crew one with each, the red, yellow, and blue bonus but also each increase att speed. Heheheh
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Has any one even confirmed one attack speed works?
    I noticed no change in speed. It may increase the attack to compensate.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression that Crit Bonus and Crit Rating DO stack. Is that incorrect?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »

I don’t entirely know that it would be easy to notice the difference - I checked out a couple ships (1701-A, Jem’Hadar Flagship, Assimilated Voyager, and the Federation Fighter) and they all have attack speeds between 0.86 and 1.02...I assume that’s the number of seconds in between attacks. A 25% speed boost is shaving a few tenths of a second off the fire rate, not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, it might be illuminating to get a video recording of a battle before and after activation of an attack speed boosting crew to measure the time in between shots.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I don’t entirely know that it would be easy to notice the difference - I checked out a couple ships (1701-A, Jem’Hadar Flagship, Assimilated Voyager, and the Federation Fighter) and they all have attack speeds between 0.86 and 1.02...I assume that’s the number of seconds in between attacks. A 25% speed boost is shaving a few tenths of a second off the fire rate, not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, it might be illuminating to get a video recording of a battle before and after activation of an attack speed boosting crew to measure the time in between shots.

I noticed in one of my battles the attack speed should have been increased , battling the same ship, but attacks occurred at same time. Simultaneous destruction not sure how that happened.

That is why I though maybe they increase attack strength instead. Actually, now I am wondering about ships with different attack speed, if that even has attacks occurring ar same time.
  • Options

I was under the impression that Crit Bonus and Crit Rating DO stack. Is that incorrect?

I'm pretty sure Crit bonus and Ratings stack.
  • Options

I noticed in one of my battles the attack speed should have been increased , battling the same ship, but attacks occurred at same time. Simultaneous destruction not sure how that happened.

That is why I though maybe they increase attack strength instead. Actually, now I am wondering about ships with different attack speed, if that even has attacks occurring ar same time.

For the attack speed increase, think of it with +25% like for every 4 attacks you get 5 instead.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Norse Wolf Seven is keeping the seat she knocked "I Can't Believe it's Not Gunpowder" out of in my Arena set up. She helped the other three Sledgehammers roll through Skirmishes, and I beat some Ships in Admiral Division I usually lose to. Something was working.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attack speed bonuses do stack. My first really successful arena crew was Arik Soong, Tuskegee Mayweather, Dr. Tolian Soran, and Assimilated Tuvok on the HMS Bounty. I could smoke just about anything with that combo back in those days.
  • Options
    The only things that don't stack are the temporary boosts in evasion/accuracy/attack by ship and crew abilities. This is where the game only takes the highest on currently offered.

Crit rating, crit bonus, and attack speed should stack. In fact, of the three, attack speed is the easiest to test. Put Arik Soong, Mirror Janeway, and Tuskegee Mayweather on the H.M.S. Bounty and I think you'll see the difference. Start with one, then two, and then all three.

The real question is, how do they stack. I.E. if you have 2x crew with +25% attack speed, on the Bounty, does that make they Bounty attack 50% faster or does that second +25% get added to a new number?

In other words: the Bounty has an attack speed of 1.04. +25% should bring that to 0.78 attacks per second. Does having 2x +25% make +50%, bringing the Bounty to 0.52 or does the first bring it to 0.78 and the second only brings it to 0.585 attacks per second?

I would think each would do 25% of whatever the Attack Speed is when applied. Otherwise, 4 x 25% would make the Attack Speed 0.0
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think each would do 25% of whatever the Attack Speed is when applied. Otherwise, 4 x 25% would make the Attack Speed 0.0

Agreed - the percentage would almost certainly be sequentially applied rather than summated. I've used the occasional attack speed booster crew, but the effect of a slightly accelerated rate can be difficult to appreciate in real time. The tales of multiple accelerator crew convinces me however.
  • Options
    starfoxstarfox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    i have tested the haste (attack speed) by putting 4 crew members with 20% or greater haste on a ship in admiral. when all 4 are active at the same time one can definitely see a big difference in how fast the pew pews are vs no haste or just one active haste.
    i didnt time the actual shots. i feel like the lag delay would be troublesome for that
  • Options
    New Admiral Clancy has +25% Attack Speed.
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭

Well, when you put it like that... it seems obvious. ;-D

Still, there could be an invisible cap or something. Like, increased attack speed caps at +75%. To be fair, I don't think DB (and now TP) has ever clarified that.
  • Options
    Admiral 8QAdmiral 8Q ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Well, when you put it like that... it seems obvious. ;-D

Still, there could be an invisible cap or something. Like, increased attack speed caps at +75%. To be fair, I don't think DB (and now TP) has ever clarified that.

It most likely adds to the current attack speed in sequence, not all at once. The faster the attack speed the less 25% faster would be. Right? ;)

To use a simple math example:
    (I'm rounding to make it easier to see)
    10 -25% = 7.5
    7.5 -25% = 5.6
    5.6 -25% = 4.2
    4.2 -25% = 3.2

So technically +25 four times in sequence would actually be about +68% to attack speed
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food for thought:
    What if attack speed acts like a cooldown?

In this scenario, let's look at it like the crew icons for power activations. I look at it like sand running out of an hourglass. Increasing attack speed allows the sand to flow 25% (or whatever percentage) faster. If you make the sand flow twice as fast (i.e. attack speed +100%), then you fire twice as many shots in the same timeframe. It is not a reduction in the absolute time between shots, but an increase in the speed at which sand flows. In this scenario, the sand can never flow instantaneously. There will always be some time in the cooldown. As the percentage approaches infinity, the cooldown approaches zero. Since infinity does not exist, neither does a cooldown of zero.

Another possibility:
    What if the attack speed is attacks per second? (Or some other unit of time)

I'm going to use attacks per second in this scenario just to have some baseline for real numbers. Let's use the Bounty for this example. It has an attack speed of 1.04. So each second, the Bounty makes an attack and makes 4% progress toward the next attack. If you add 25%, then we get an attack speed of 1.30. In this scenario, I imagine that to mean the Bounty would take one shot and make 30% progress to the next shot every second. adding 100% attack speed would be 2.08. That would mean that the Bounty would take two shots every second and make 8% progress toward the next shot.

I don't know what these scenarios would do to damage-per-second (dps) of the ship. They are just a couple of other ways that the attack speed could impact each battle. I don't know exactly how the actual game mechanics work. These are just some guesses.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    As long as we're discussing "attack speed" ... The Wiki is a little ambiguous in that area (at least to me and maybe for Dirk too). Which is better: a high attack speed listing (ie: 95) or a lower speed listing (65)?? The Wiki entry is poorly worded and seems to be a lot of double talk and I can't figure it out ... yet. :)
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    Cuttysark wrote: »
    As long as we're discussing "attack speed" ... The Wiki is a little ambiguous in that area (at least to me and maybe for Dirk too). Which is better: a high attack speed listing (ie: 95) or a lower speed listing (65)?? The Wiki entry is poorly worded and seems to be a lot of double talk and I can't figure it out ... yet. :)

I'm thinking that it represents delay between shots. If so, lower would be better.
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    Maybe @Shan could weigh in on this too?

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe @Shan could weigh in on this too?

The @ does nothing, as Shan has said many times. Instead, you could research the Dev Diaries on the “old Forums” to see if there is any (more) useful information on this topic:

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt

🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    CuttysarkCuttysark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @~peregrine~ Good morning to you too. :) It doesn't hurt to try. :open_mouth: BTW, I can't access your linked page so you must be special ... ;)

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking that it represents delay between shots. If so, lower would be better.

It’s tough to draw a conclusion one way or the other with it being a dimensionless number in-game. A little DoE could help determine if it is “delay time between attacks” or “attacks per unit time”...or something else:

-find the 5* ship with the smallest Attack Speed number
    -find the 5* ship with the highest Attack Speed number
    -load both ships with two sets of identical crew, one with no attack speed bonuses and one with the best attack speed bonuses
    -obtain video of one or more battles with each of the four ship/crew combos
    -determine which combination is slowest and which is fastest to determine if it’s time/attack or attacks/time
  • Options
    Admiral 8QAdmiral 8Q ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think we may be getting it backwards. Looking at the 3 and 4 star ships. I would assume Defiant would be one of the fastest attack speeds. It's at 0.9, higher then all but the Borg Sphere at 1.1

(The Borg Sphere 878 cleans out anything else with a high attack speed plus all it's other uber stats.)

D'Deridex, Breen Warship, and Constitution Class would be the slowest attack speeds at 0.7

EDIT: If that's the case, then it would make sense that all att speed bonuses would be added to the base att speed, not adding to bonus.
    So for +25% a ship with att speed 1.0 would be 1.25 add 25% again then 1.5 (Not 1.5625)