Home Make It So!
Options

A Kickstarter type system to fund feature requests

There are so many awesome ideas here that will, sadly, never be implemented. But I think TP would have more incentive to make the changes if they knew there was money to be made.

Every month, the players vote on their favorite idea. TP then makes any changes they feel necessary and set a required funding level. If the players fund it, those that pay get the add-on feature, and everyone else has the option to pay a little higher price to unlock it.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unnar Too wrote: »
    There are so many awesome ideas here that will, sadly, never be implemented. But I think TP would have more incentive to make the changes if they knew there was money to be made.

Every month, the players vote on their favorite idea. TP then makes any changes they feel necessary and set a required funding level. If the players fund it, those that pay get the add-on feature, and everyone else has the option to pay a little higher price to unlock it.

You’re going to get torches and pitchforks on this one

• Options
    Gib - Admiral MarinersGib - Admiral Mariners ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree with Banjo. I support the game by purchasing things. I would never pay anything into a Kickstarter or any other internet cash accumulator site.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don’t need to launder cash through Kickstarter...if they need a cash infusion to fund development, have another one of those citation bonanzas like they had at the end of 2019.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

You called it. Clearly not a popular idea. Never mind then.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were not hurting for money as of last year:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/08/tilting-point-pumps-up-existing-mobile-games-with-big-marketing-campaigns/

That whole article is an interesting read, by the way. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were not hurting for money as of last year:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/08/tilting-point-pumps-up-existing-mobile-games-with-big-marketing-campaigns/

That whole article is an interesting read, by the way. 🖖

Wow! That info was very good to know

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would twist the idea a little bit. Definitely not using an outside funding site. I also wouldn't limit who gets the feature. That would potentially add coding work.

I would make new in-game deals titled "Fund Project _______". The player would get some deal, like the 10 for $10 or 15/3k/3k for $25, so they get some in-game value. The company would take a poll, as you say, to determine the project. Then the company sets a goal, also as you said, so player can track progress toward the goal. (Hmm... Maybe the target should be part of the vote so players know which targets might take longer to achieve.) At some point, say 75% is funded, the company begins work on the project. Then the feature would be rolled out to everyone when the project is complete or when the funding goal is met, whichever happens last.

Could this potentially work a little better and keep the spirit of the OP?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

What if instead of money, players bid on these ideas using ingame currencies they have to work to earn?

For example: what if TP said something like, "We have a new event structure in the works, it is centered around voyages. Here is a rough outline of how it would work (insert description here). We've set up a pledge window in the Time Portal and if over the next 72 hours players pledge X merits/3* time reducers/chronitons/etc we will implement this new voyage event"?

The idea being players would still have to "pay", but in this model it would be more like sacrificing to show interest. They could set up a vote, but unless players really had to put some skin in the game, there is no way to know for sure just how badly the players want the change. By setting it up to pledge resources (and I intend for these pledge numbers to hurt!) we have to work to earn, that will go a long way toward showing TP that we really want something, after all, actions speak louder than words.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let them Admiral Patrick your idea. Unfortunately it's a thing that happens on the forum. If they can't come up with an alternative then that's their lack of vision. It may seem personal, but I recommend not taking it personally. There's a few of us around who like to see fresh ideas. We may offer alternatives, but we wouldn't have even thought of it if you hadn't taken the time to post something.

Thank you for putting yourself out there, @Unnar Too .
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options

Don't let them Admiral Patrick your idea. Unfortunately it's a thing that happens on the forum. If they can't come up with an alternative then that's their lack of vision. It may seem personal, but I recommend not taking it personally. There's a few of us around who like to see fresh ideas. We may offer alternatives, but we wouldn't have even thought of it if you hadn't taken the time to post something.

Thank you for putting yourself out there, @Unnar Too .

No worries. I didn't take it personally, and don't think it was intended to be.
    I would twist the idea a little bit. Definitely not using an outside funding site. I also wouldn't limit who gets the feature. That would potentially add coding work.

Agreed, I was thinking of something on a TP owned website. Hopefully, that would allow them to also avoid losing a cut of the revenue to Google,Apple,etc. But for the features I had in mind, I see them as features you buy to unlock. Like the 3rd and 4th shuttle bays now. For example, a voyage assistant that you can train to resolve dilemmas for you by making the same choices you made the first time it occurred. It would also be able to auto recall at a set AM (probably 31 AM).