Home The Bridge
Options

Duplicate Super Rares?

Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm hoping for some thoughts on this from those with mature rosters who have been playing awhile... or perhaps even those who haven't been!

When you can pick up four copies of a super rare at once (or in short order), either from ranked rewards or from a campaign, what do you do with them?

Do you:
  • a. airlock them all, no dupes for me!
  • b. immortalize and freeze, +1 towards the immortalize crew achievement each time, more dilithium, yay! Plus they could come up in events!

After a time, once I have all my current super rares who are FF but not FE (19 of them) I can either work on some 1/5 legendaries for daily missions purposes, or get all four copies of super rares and work on them.

For context, I have 448 crew immortal:
  • 28 Legendary
  • 257 Super Rare (plus 19 FF and not FE)
  • 84 Rare
  • 52 Uncommon
  • 27 Common

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I tend to airlock dupe purples, unless I think having a duplicate will be useful for future events. Cards I have made duplicates of with that in mind are (but are not limited to):

Armed Philippa Georgiou
    Sec. 31 Philippa Georgiou
    Combat Medic Paris
    Drone Seven of Nine
    Mirror Jadzia Dax

The FF Lore I just got, for example, will be more useful to me as 800 Honor toward some stronger card's eventual citation, just as Torchbearer Tyler was last week.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never considered duplicates until I got to the point that I had no crew to level, with all 1-3* frozen and almost all 4* immortalized.

As I froze unused 4* crew and gained new slots, I found myself with extra space to collect duplicate 4* crew from events, voyages and various pulls. I started thinking I'd lonely duplicate really strong 4* crew, but now have around 150 immortalized duplicate 4* crew (over 500 unique immortals). They have come in very handy for certain events, either those with limited secondary event crew or an event I want to make a push for a high ranking.

I will not immortalize duplicate 1-3* crew and have no desire to immortalize more than a 2nd copy of each 4* crew (or 5* crew - currently open duplicated the gauntlet crew and Mirror Picard).
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done quite a few 4* dupes. Part of it was getting to the next immortalization tier achievement, but I also tended to do it because I thought they might be useful, either in general, or for an event. But I know there was one time I did three copies of a crew simply because they were so easy to level — I thought, "Hey, why not?" (That was Tourist Quark, IIRC.)

Nowadays, though, I typically will airlock the 4/4 dupe copies, since the original is going in the freezer anyway, and my achievements are almost all tapped out at this point, too.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few. I know I have at least two Empress Sato. Have to decide tomorrow if I want to go for another.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the insight so far. I'm trying mentally to balance the 800 honor with the opportunity to +1 the immortalized characters achievement and have an ever-growing number of event crew.
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I may have done 2 years ago does not mesh with today. That said, even I will dupe some 4*s:
    -If it's an event and with packs and such I get two FF copies
    -It's a main cast/tied to a heavy in rotation property like Disco
    -It's a best in class 4*, to say top SEC or top DIP or something.
    -The card is going to be useful (potentially) in a Faction event where I'm sending up to 24 shuttles at a time.
    I'll level the first from packs, and the second I'll do once I've passed the 130k VP mark in the event and I get the gold clothing item.

The trick, for me, is remembering to unfreeze more than one copy the next time that card is useful for an event.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to airlock dupe purples, unless I think having a duplicate will be useful for future events. Cards I have made duplicates of with that in mind are (but are not limited to):

Armed Philippa Georgiou
    Sec. 31 Philippa Georgiou
    Combat Medic Paris
    Drone Seven of Nine
    Mirror Jadzia Dax

The FF Lore I just got, for example, will be more useful to me as 800 Honor toward some stronger card's eventual citation, just as Torchbearer Tyler was last week.

This is close to my approach. I have criteria now. (I didn't have high standards a few months ago.) But now...

1) Must be main cast or appear on currently active show (this equates to event potential).

2) Must have base over 900. My roster is deep enough now that I don't thaw if below 750 unless bonus crew is pretty limited.

I highly recommend the first standard above. You should implement your own number on my second standard to accommodate your roster needs. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like my betters above, I have duplicated a few dozen 4* cards. The targets of this effort have shifted over time as power-creep has kicked in. For example, I have 2 copies of Ambassador Spock but I am unlikely to ever use them again since his bases have become so weak relative to other Spocks.

Currently, my first-pass criteria is whether card has a 1000+ base (w/ bonuses) or is a gauntlet superstar (not many meet this criteria). Second-pass would be to consider their potential event recurrence - which usually translates into main cast cards (e.g., Mirror Dax, Sec 31 Georgiou, etc).

For the most part, I simply prefer the 800 honor these days.

Hmm... secondary question for those with deeper rosters than me - if I were to airlock an immortalized card (e.g., the aforementioned duplicate of Amb. Spock), would that decrement the immortalization counter in the achievements tab?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like my betters above, I have duplicated a few dozen 4* cards. The targets of this effort have shifted over time as power-creep has kicked in. For example, I have 2 copies of Ambassador Spock but I am unlikely to ever use them again since his bases have become so weak relative to other Spocks.

Currently, my first-pass criteria is whether card has a 1000+ base (w/ bonuses) or is a gauntlet superstar (not many meet this criteria). Second-pass would be to consider their potential event recurrence - which usually translates into main cast cards (e.g., Mirror Dax, Sec 31 Georgiou, etc).

For the most part, I simply prefer the 800 honor these days.

Hmm... secondary question for those with deeper rosters than me - if I were to airlock an immortalized card (e.g., the aforementioned duplicate of Amb. Spock), would that decrement the immortalization counter in the achievements tab?

The game will not let you airlock anyone whom you have immortalized. Good question. :)

I've had no success with duplicates in gauntlet. Some may have, but I would not have a duplicate for this reason alone. I would need more.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game will not let you airlock anyone whom you have immortalized. Good question. :)
    Oh yikes. I already knew that. Still, a good Q&A for those that didn't know (or fools like me that have forgotten.)
  • Options
    I don't have duplicates, started one on accident once, air locked the dup at level 30.
  • Options
    It has been quite some time since I have done a dupe. In those days my criteria were basically a character that was likely to get event use. These were also the days before 30 bonus crew for a faction event was a norm. Quite a few that I saved and intended to level IF their event came up wound up getting airlocked before they became of any use. Unless you are a new player or someone that regularly expects to be staffing a flotilla of shuttles, I don't know how much a duplicate is really going to help out. But if you are willing/able to invest the chrons leveling them, then it won't hurt either.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If they're at 4/4 I keep them for as long as I have spare crew slots. I do that mainly for three reasons:

1) In case they might be event crew (again).

2) To not have empty crew slots, because I don't like to search for the crew to airlock when a voyage ends.

3) To have an extra batch of honor available at all times (the same way others keep chrons in the in-game mail).

While I currently have almost 20.000 honor in dupes sitting in my crew at lv 1, I've only ever immortalized second copies of Combat Medic Paris (because back then I had almost no decent MED crew), Section 31 Georgiou (for an event where she was exact event crew), Sheriff Worf (I can't actually remember why) and Festive Lwaxana (because I got extra copies of her out of event packs while trying to pull Emperor Georgiou and then procedeed to FE her to compete in the event).

In general, I don't level them up until they happen to be exact event crew in a faction event where I want to compete (and usually not even then, if they're weak).
  • Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Mostly I airlock them. - I only rise them to FF/FE if they are bonus crew in the next faction event. After this, I freeze them.
  • Options
    I'm not a very practical sort of player. I have quite a few dupes, but while a few did seem possibly useful, most of them are in the "I just like this card and would enjoy working on it again" category.

Currently working on RAF Bashir... For the third time :tongue:
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the excellent examples previously mentioned, I also level certain duplicate 4* if I need crew to level. Like right now. I just got Lore from the Event, but his stats are so unworthy, I won't waste my time on that one. I might just do a random portal pull or see where my current Voyage is with a purple to see if I want to level another duplicate.

When we had Sec 31 Georgiou the first time in an event, I had already got her Immortalized, but her stats were top notch, so I leveled the second copy. Then she showed up again, and I got a 3rd copy. This has happened a few times – I mean, if you get a 4/4 crew handed to you with good stats, why not?

I am almost to the point to start doing this with golds. (Okay, well, I have 3 dupe Golds in the freezer, but only because they are from Gauntlet.)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    a. I airlock them all for the Honor.

I have a personal strict 'no duplicates' policy. Currently sitting on 63 immortalized legends (and about a dozen at 4/5) and 498 immortalized crew (all unique). It would be 499 were it not for my advocacy of the AEC Initiative!

saadcuuhbsgd.jpg
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few duplicate purple crew, but only a few who are exceptionally good. All the rest get airlocked for honor.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only a few duplicates. I’d consider S31 Georgiou or Robin Hood, maybe Mirror Jadzia, but I’ve been valuing honor more than 4* crew...the last several events have seen me thawing fewer and fewer 4* crew because the 5* crew have been sufficient to handle bonus crew duty.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't considered it until I got Tyler again in a recent event. Leveling takes a lot of my resources still. I haven't airlocked him yet. Still on the fence.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If I get four copys of a duplicate 4* in a short space of time, I tend to keep them in the crew quarters unlevelled until I either need them for a shuttle event, just fancy levelling them, or decide to throw them out of the airlock.

I tend to keep crew I like, crew I think may be useful, and hard to get crew (voyage crew). I have two unlevelled copies of M113 creature, and have immortalised her as well.

If I see a faction event coming, I look to see who I can level, and sometimes do duplicates. e.g. I had two copies of stranded Odo in an event recently.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    My general approach is that I will likely dupe any purple card that when doubled (for small event bonus) beats my highest non event bonus base. Also skill variety is a factor for example Test pilot Archer is a good unique skill set from a more vanilla Archer.

Lore however I traded for 800 honor as he doesn't come up that often enough for events.

If anything else doing some dupes is also a handy way of ensuring I can continue my daily levelling requirement.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    I duped one for a faction where I wanted to rank high. Otherwise I never dupe 4*, with all 4* done I could but I dont do it.
    For the dailies I pull once a 10x standard pack, the crew I get will get 1 item and will be levelled to 10 and then out of the airlock.
  • Options
    Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have duplicates of these. Don't ask why on Harriman or Quark....
    waks8mxfxl8l.png

Currently have a duplicate of Vosk, Moogie and Laas going as their equipment shows up.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have quite a few, but dont really start new dupes anymore. For a while, while I had most 4*s immortalized but before I had enough 5* immortalized to do everything, I got plenty of use out of some dupes. Extra Combat Medic Paris, Mintaken Troi, a few others, got used alot. Other dupes were choosen as they were top 3 of their skill when started, but power crept out by the time they were immortal. Others were duped because I had the extra copies from events and was bored.

If you are just starting out, there are a few 4*s that are worth a dupe if you can manage it, but manage your expectations too. If you are limited by trainers or chrons or crew space think twice. If you have plenty of resources and you want a dupe, go for it.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    No dupes until everyone is FE on my roster. Months to go at my pace, I rather stash the chrons currently as I am too lazy to hurry it.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Airlock all duplicates, no exceptions.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    waks8mxfxl8l.png

Currently have a duplicate of Vosk, Moogie and Laas going as their equipment shows up.

Why on Harriman and Quark?

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    waks8mxfxl8l.png

Why on Harriman and Quark?

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Forgot I already had Harriman and I didn't have enough Ferrengi for an Event so I start him.