Home Ready Room

Leveling low star legendaries & super rare citation

About a year ago I got some great advice from here so here I come again.

With the special offer of begold + citation from couple of months back I have collected bunch of 1* legendaries that I'm now stuck with. The first question is, is it worth leveling a 1/5 legendary, knowing they will probably stay on 1* for a very long time? What about 2* or 3*?

I have enough other crew to participate in the events (and get results I'm satisfied with) and to get 6-8h voyages (depending on the skills) so it's not like I need more crew. On the other hand it's very unlikely I will airlock a legendary, so I might as well get some use from them... I have checked the datacore website and while I like numbers, I would appreciate more a personal experience/insight.

I can provide a list of my legendaries if it will help.

Second question is more general - how do you decide which super rare to cite? I managed to gather some citations from the campaigns but I can now get to 6h voyages meaning I can get a 4* from there which could possibly make me to waste my citation.

Is it worth citing a new super rare (eg. Jurati) even though it might not be used in an event in the near future? Is it still worth citing certain super rares even though you can get copies from voyages?
Member of Wolf 359 Memorial Fleet.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Comments

• cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to level Tier 1, 2, and 3 legendaries (based on big book), and any that come up in events as the bonus usually makes them worth it.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • [10F] Unnar[10F] Unnar ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above. Also, look at skill sets. The skills you can't do 8 hour voyages on may be improved by a 1/5* and almost certainly by a 3/5*.

For the 4* cites, I only use them to immortalized 3/4* crew not yet in the portal after I have them fully equipped. So if you have Jurati 3/4* she might make sense.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. Citing 4*s
    I personally do not think it is worth it to cite 4*s outside of:
    - Voyage-only 3-part dilemma crew
    - 4* fuse crew (e.g. citing either Mutated Paris and Captain Janeway to get one copy of Evolved Janeway).

If you are in absolute dire need of crew space then you can consider:
    - The latest 4* crew from skirmish or faction events. It will take ages before they hit the portal, so this might help avoid airlocking other new crew (e.g. 5*s).
    I'd only cite crew who are not available in the portal at the moment.

--> I let my 4* citations build-up for either of the first two options. I will have 3 citations tomorrow so getting a Mutated Paris in will get me the 5th copy for Evolved Janeway.

1. 5* crew to level
    I tended to approach levelling of 5* crew in the same manner as 4* crew when I had a lot of those to level ...
    - I use the week to level up crew that will be helpful in the upcoming event ...
    e.g. Pilot will be a bonus trait next weekend, so if I have 1/5 Delta Flyer Torres at lvl 1 I'd slowly level her so she's ready for next Thursday, her ENG base is good for shuttles.
    So, check who the best crew are that need levelling and work on those 1 or 2 over the week.

- You say you make 6-8 hrs on voyages ... I have certain 1/5s that make 10 hr voyages!
    I saw 1/5s as (potential) replacements for 4*s. I freeze all my immortal 4*s and just work with the 5* crew I own, no matter the fuse level.
    So, I'd level any 1/5s that fill gaps you might have in voyages or where you are still relying on (lots of) 4*s to get you to 6 - 8 hrs.
    The 4* with the highest voyage score is Roman Captive Kirk, crew like Chancellor L'Rell or Z. Odo almost get there as 1/5 (there are plenty of examples that don't ... Dukat, Enterprise E Picard), if you happen into a second star through a begold they pass Kirk. I'd rather be using L'Rell for those voyages than Kirk and just freeze Kirk, because she has the chance to get better, Kirk doesn't.

--> So, it kinda depends on the crew, but yes, there are quite a few 1/5s that are worth levelling.
  • YamianYamian ✭✭
    @RaraRacing: I really really like your approach to leveling 1/5s. I will have to check the numbers since some of my legendaries are bottom tier based on the big book (Yarnek) but some might make the cut (First Officer Burnham). In return, this will allow me to freeze bottom tier 4*s.

Thanks.

• calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build my crew based on the following criteria (loosely)...

1) The crew is a feature in the coming faction or Galaxy event
    2) The crew is a variant in the coming faction event (and has a top 5 pair for crew I have)
    3) The crew has a top 5 voyage pair (I hit 10 hrs almost every time now, so I don’t really check this anymore)
    4) The crew has a top 5 gauny pair (or very competitive top 10)
    5) The crew can be instantly frozen (free slot!)

I basically wait on bridge crew until they are needed. I try not to freeze bridge crew since they have a better chance of getting weekend work.

For 1/5s specifically, I basically don’t build them. I let them progress passively (equip dropped unique items or items I have an abundance of). I will build them if I think they get a seat in the coming faction (I just finished a 1/5 Assimilated La Forge and a 2/5 Klingon Janeway, for example) or if they happen to be a feature.
    edited May 2020
    Yamian wrote: »
    @RaraRacing: I really really like your approach to leveling 1/5s. I will have to check the numbers since some of my legendaries are bottom tier based on the big book (Yarnek) but some might make the cut (First Officer Burnham). In return, this will allow me to freeze bottom tier 4*s.

Thanks.

First Officer Burnham should be built immediately. Then cited. Immediately. When she isn’t on a voyage (she makes some voyages for me even when she doesn’t have the right skills), she is a first option on most daily shuttles. She even gets some weekend work where she doesn’t have a bonus. She is absolutely dupe-able, so using cites on her will not be a waste, regardless.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

First Officer Burnham should be built immediately. Then cited. Immediately. When she isn’t on a voyage (she makes some voyages for me even when she doesn’t have the right skills), she is a first option on most daily shuttles. She even gets some weekend work where she doesn’t have a bonus. She is absolutely dupe-able, so using cites on her will not be a waste, regardless.

There aren't many crew that I rave about to this level. It's rare that I spend 4 citations on anyone, anymore. But... She got 4 citations before a Discovery mega event long ago and I haven't regretted it. It'll take one heck of a card now for me to drop 4 citations. For reference, I have Braxton at 1/5 but he's not getting 4 citations. Stranded Quark was my white whale and he was the last recipient of 4 citations. But I digress.

@RaraRacing posted very solid citation advice, very similar to my own approach. My only advice beyond that is to check your voyage pairs and try to aim 5* citations at main cast that hit those voyage pairs. Preferably main cast that is already 3/5. :)
    Farewell 🖖
    The only other crew I would rave about to that level is G7. But he has no weekend value so he is a distant #2 to FOB.
    Let me just echo ... yes ... First Officer Burnham should be #1 on your levelling priorities list ... I don't own her ... but she is incredibly flexible in daily use.

I would say, any of the 5* Burnhams should be levelled if you haven't already, the other two aren't shabby either.
  • YamianYamian ✭✭
    I decided to do something I should have done months ago - I went through the numbers.
    I got the values (both base and voyage) for my legendaries based on their current stars and compared them to my 4* crew. Thank you guys for giving me the push.

And I was really surprised that about half of them is better for voyages than my current best 4*. And vast majority of them is just 1/5. I expected them to break even at about 3/5, maybe 2/5 for some but definitely not 1/5 (based on my experience with Tourist Jadzia who often managed to sneak into my voyages).

And some of them have even better base value (now I understand the appreciation FO Burnham gets).

Also, Seven in Silver made the cut. Even though I might use her for some shuttles in case they are ENG heavy I cannot see her voyaging. 2 skill crew (especially legendary) feels like a waste... Any thoughts on that?

Daily shuttles should be a distant secondary to voyages. Fill your voyage, then use whatever crew you have left over on your shuttles.

As for 2-skill voyagers, they are few, but in mid game, Mirror Phlox and Hugh Culber can both sneak into the occasional voyage. They carry enough heft in their two scores to make it worthwhile on occasion.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to do something I should have done months ago - I went through the numbers.
    I got the values (both base and voyage) for my legendaries based on their current stars and compared them to my 4* crew. Thank you guys for giving me the push.

And I was really surprised that about half of them is better for voyages than my current best 4*. And vast majority of them is just 1/5. I expected them to break even at about 3/5, maybe 2/5 for some but definitely not 1/5 (based on my experience with Tourist Jadzia who often managed to sneak into my voyages).

And some of them have even better base value (now I understand the appreciation FO Burnham gets).

Also, Seven in Silver made the cut. Even though I might use her for some shuttles in case they are ENG heavy I cannot see her voyaging. 2 skill crew (especially legendary) feels like a waste... Any thoughts on that?

100% agree with this - up until the last few months, I used my Excel spreadsheet really only to track raw crew stats for the purpose of determining who I should cite and who I should thaw for event use. Now that I am tracking voyages more closely, I’ve been making more detailed notes of who I’m actually using and who I haven’t frozen yet because I only think I’m using them. Given a little more time to make sure I’m not missing anything, I’m thinking I could free up five or ten crew slots without hurting my ability to staff voyages and still get high shuttle percentages.

100% agree with this - up until the last few months, I used my Excel spreadsheet really only to track raw crew stats for the purpose of determining who I should cite and who I should thaw for event use. Now that I am tracking voyages more closely, I’ve been making more detailed notes of who I’m actually using and who I haven’t frozen yet because I only think I’m using them. Given a little more time to make sure I’m not missing anything, I’m thinking I could free up five or ten crew slots without hurting my ability to staff voyages and still get high shuttle percentages.

I tried tracking my voyage participation, but it was just too cumbersome. How are you doing your tracking?
  • DragynDragyn ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As a newish player the only other caveat I’d throw out there is missions. I spent the first 9 months or so stuck with a lot of nodes I couldn’t crit leaving me with low probability to get certain items/needed to replicate a lot more than I should have. I found several 1* legendary crew were able to get me past those. Basically, look at where you are having issues, use the resources long time players have made (thanks guys) and level accordingly. Probably obvious but buy the campaign every month. I know some long time players aren’t thrilled with crew but every single one has been a huge help in every aspect and I’ll usually buy a double up offer at some point freeing that leg cite. One other potentially obvious point: get into a good fleet ASAP. I usually earn enough honor to buy a leg cite every month and a good deal of that is from my fleet. I spent way to long in one where I was the only one contributing. Those 2 cites every month means I don’t feel like those 1* leg are piling up to badly.
    If I can ... I'm going to post a thread here in the ready room on using 1/5s and 2/5s exclusively for voyages to reach 6-8 hrs.
    I'll explain it better there, but it is mainly to inspire players to look at some of their lesser-used crew during events and such, or to provide a perspective on why some of those 4/4s can safely be frozen.

As for 2-skillers ... yeah they get a rough treatment here ... by me as well ... but they can be really solid for voyages when you are still developing your crew.
    They should not be a priority in levelling or adding stars to in a behold, but unique 2-skillers can be quite solid ... think of the above mentioned Hugh Culber or crew like Augment Commander O'Brien who is SEC/ENG and has really good voyage stats for a 2-skiller ... Displaced Gabrielle Burnham isn't that bad either ...

So, in my opinion, they're fine to fill in those specific skills during those specific voyages when you're going for 6-8 hr voyages, but then only crew who are of the more "unique" 2-skill combos.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried tracking my voyage participation, but it was just too cumbersome. How are you doing your tracking?

The only new thing I’ve done is just to write down the names of crew that go on a natural 10-hour voyage. I have 15 sections, one for each skill combo pair (meaning one section for ENG/MED and MED/ENG together) that have a list of names in one column and a second column for the number of 10 hour voyages they were on. If I’m not sitting at my computer when I recall, I’ll take screenshots of the crew list in the voyage interface so I don’t forget.

That part is very much the qualitative analysis side of things and doesn’t feel too cumbersome. The quantitative analysis side is certainly where it can get cumbersome, though I have built in a lot of automation into the spreadsheet so as to minimize the grunt work I have to do. One worksheet contains all of my crew’s current stats while another one determines their voyage totals; this second one can be filtered by primary, secondary, and tertiary skills to yield the crew rankings (at least on paper) and help me identify crew that are nominally in danger of going into the freezer. I also have another worksheet where I can type in raw stats from the wiki to see how someone would rank if they were added to my crew or were at a higher fusion level; this helps determine who I should cite or if a pack is worth going for.

Once I feel like I have a good collection of real usage data, I’ll see how many of the bubble crew actually made it onto voyages for skill balancing purposes - the theory being that someone like Arachnia Janeway would be useful on, say, a MED/SCI voyage to fill a particular skill/trait gap even if she is no longer a good DIP/COM option - and then make decisions to freeze crew accordingly.