Home The Bridge

Should Community Rewards be a part of every event?

I for one like community rewards, a guaranteed 4/4 without having to open packs? A free x10 portal pull? An extra 1/4 crew? Yes please. It’s what makes me look forward to galaxy events. :smile:
So, what are your thoughts on community rearwards?
“What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
Captain Level 99
Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!

Should Community Rewards be a part of every event? 71 votes

Yes
81%
Warrior Willo[RotP]Ran AirenAviTrekCaptain TF[QH] OxmyxJim RaynorAlthea BiermontAuntieAThis Sisko1Hungry Dog DDMAggeJayBeezy~peregrine~Drone_one[S47] ELiLSoupKitchen Riker(HGH)Apollogregorytguest_757423444811776TP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF) 58 votes
No
16%
SSR BarkleyZombie Squirrel 12345678 of 123456789I will not blame the player for my mistakescmdrworfGib - Admiral MarinersMirror CartmanTarisBylo BandMiT Sanoa[10F] UnnarBound2Fate 12 votes
Other
1%
Katla 1 vote

Comments

• Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I say yes.

Now I haven't been around since the beginning... what was the rationale for only Galaxy events having community rewards?
  • [10F] Unnar[10F] Unnar ✭✭✭
    No
    Sorry, but no. I agree with you, they are the best part of a galaxy. And I'd love to get the rewards every week. But if TP offered them every week, they would be losing a sizable revenue stream. And they would have to make that up somehow, or cut spending even more. And I don't want to see either of those happen.
  • No
    I think they are something that make Galaxy events special. They should not be in other events.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Chrons used to be so hard to get and it was a way to encourage people to play. Otherwise the event type was dead on arrival and most people boycotted the event. But now it's easier to get all the thresholds and luckily they haven't changed the format. Would love to get the 4th star every event.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    All the event types have their own rewards.

Galaxy events have community rewards.
    Faction events have shuttle bonuses for the winning faction for three days.
    Skirmish events have free stuff as you play. Chrons, honor, credits etc.
    Expedition events have the frustration of searching for the same crew again and again, and the complaint thread here.

What if an expedition had community rewards, crew sharing, loot boxes & all crew available, plus optimized sorting & searching?
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • No
    That would not eliminate the boredom of having to go from the majority of an hour to get the most points. No thanks!!!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I not only get but can even support not having the new 4* in Faction/Skirmish community rewards (I would personally love to see the number of event packs purchased on average for each event type), but having something would be nice. It could even have different things in each event type:

Galaxy
    300M VP: existing 4*
    600M VP: new 4*
    1B VP: premium 10-pack

Faction
    400M VP: existing 4*
    700M VP: 2-5 shuttle tokens
    1.2B VP: premium 10-pack

Skirmish
    500M VP: existing 4*
    900M VP: voyage revive token
    1.5B VP: premium 10-pack

Expedition
    200M VP: existing 4*
    400M VP: new 4*
    700M VP: premium 10-pack
    1B VP: event pack
    1.5B VP: event pack
    2B VP: existing 5*

If anyone is wondering why I’ve made the Expedition list so differently from the others, it’s because they are abysmally painful events to slog through that need a little more enticement to participate beyond the bare minimum. All of the threshold levels could be tweaked, I just tried to account for how easy it is to accumulate VP when compared to a Galaxy event.
  • [GoT] Gabe [GoT] Gabe ✭✭✭✭
    According to the comments a former DB employee made on Facebook a while back, Expedition Events are pretty much dead.

5v7p047umba1.jpg
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
    Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
    https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
    All are welcome to join and use the Bot.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    All of these assume the player is not going for rank.

The "cost" to run a faction event after maxing thresholds is very low, they just cost transmissions. The "cost" to continue a skirmish is just time, if you have the time you should keep going because the rewards are just too good to miss. In a galaxy event there is no reason to keep going once threshold has been reached, so I believe the community rewards were put in place to keep players going after threshold, however the current community reward tiers are so easy to achieve now that this original function is no longer relevant.

Based on this I guess there is no reason community rewards must be galaxy exclusive, but I think a stronger case could be made that the galaxy community reward tiers need to be raised significantly to restore their original purpose.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the community rewards were a thank you for spending your resources in the event.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Other
    Bylo Band wrote: »

The "cost" to run a faction event after maxing thresholds is very low, they just cost transmissions. The "cost" to continue a skirmish is just time, if you have the time you should keep going because the rewards are just too good to miss. In a galaxy event there is no reason to keep going once threshold has been reached, so I believe the community rewards were put in place to keep players going after threshold, however the current community reward tiers are so easy to achieve now that this original function is no longer relevant.

Based on this I guess there is no reason community rewards must be galaxy exclusive, but I think a stronger case could be made that the galaxy community reward tiers need to be raised significantly to restore their original purpose.

That's a slippery slope.
    So many of event percentages are based on when the game was young, with significantly less players and activity. Expanding the legendary rewards to 1500 was a small step towards recognizing that, but you still have to place top 25 to get a 2nd star, and all the while VP for rank grows.
    So while it makes sense to toughen the standards for Community Rewards (or even thresholds, for that matter), it would need to accompanied by another expansion of the legendary tiers, including narrowing the gap at least between 1st and 2nd star attainability.

As for the poll question, personally I say yes, but from TP's perspective it's a pretty easy no. You gotta figure those packs are a large part of their revenue stream.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Katla wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »

That's a slippery slope.
    So many of event percentages are based on when the game was young, with significantly less players and activity. Expanding the legendary rewards to 1500 was a small step towards recognizing that, but you still have to place top 25 to get a 2nd star, and all the while VP for rank grows.
    So while it makes sense to toughen the standards for Community Rewards (or even thresholds, for that matter), it would need to accompanied by another expansion of the legendary tiers, including narrowing the gap at least between 1st and 2nd star attainability.

As for the poll question, personally I say yes, but from TP's perspective it's a pretty easy no. You gotta figure those packs are a large part of their revenue stream.

100% agree. The current setup is the new/reward 4* crew at 300,000,000, ranked reward 4* at 600,000,000, and a 10x premium pull at 1,000,000,000. This usually gets done in what, 10 hours, with most of us coasting?

I'd like to see something like the new/reward 4* at 1,000,000,000, 10x premium pull at 2,000,000,000, 5* citation at 3,000,000,000, and something like 5 crew slots at 4,000,000,000. Make it a challenge, but make it worth the challenge
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I say “yes” but with the caveat that not all community rewards need to be the same structure as galaxy community rewards. Faction events are the only ones the routinely get me to buy packs because there is only a 3/4 available. That’s fine- I either buy now or wait for portal updates. Instead of event crew, it could be big piles of honor or merits or blue portals or whatever. The purple portal is fantastic and should be part of any commission reward structure, but the rest could be event type-specific.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I popped in to see if there was a good argument or a way for WRG to recover lost revenue from selling packs/deals in faction events or skirmishes. There is not. It looks like any other thread where players of a mobile game want something for nothing.

There's an interesting tangent about expanding the reward tiers to include a second legendary for more players. Legendaries are improved very much by a second star. So you're not giving much away. But if you have that second star, then it is more tempting to buy packs/deals to add the 3rd, 4th, and 5th star. I daresay the company could make more money by expanding the second legendary to the top 100.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I popped in to see if there was a good argument or a way for WRG to recover lost revenue from selling packs/deals in faction events or skirmishes. There is not. It looks like any other thread where players of a mobile game want something for nothing.

WRG could potentially drive engagement (and spending) by updating the VP thresholds to something that would actually be a challenge. In my example above, that’s why I cranked up the threshold amounts for Skirmishes (although perhaps not by nearly enough), because it is relatively easy to load up on VP in a short amount of time.
    There's an interesting tangent about expanding the reward tiers to include a second legendary for more players. Legendaries are improved very much by a second star. So you're not giving much away. But if you have that second star, then it is more tempting to buy packs/deals to add the 3rd, 4th, and 5th star. I daresay the company could make more money by expanding the second legendary to the top 100.

Agreed completely. I might even go farther yet and stretch the 2/5* reward to the top 250 or even 500, ranks which are fairly easy to attain right now because of how exponential the VP vs. rank curve gets towards the top of the leaderboard. I’d make the argument that a less exponential curve is also beneficial, because monster jumps in VP are far more likely to be discouraging to someone thinking about pushing for a higher rank. We’ll never truly straighten the curve, but perhaps there can be a greater number of smaller jumps required to hurdle for that next enticing reward?
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

WRG could potentially drive engagement (and spending) by updating the VP thresholds to something that would actually be a challenge. In my example above, that’s why I cranked up the threshold amounts for Skirmishes (although perhaps not by nearly enough), because it is relatively easy to load up on VP in a short amount of time.

Agreed completely. I might even go farther yet and stretch the 2/5* reward to the top 250 or even 500, ranks which are fairly easy to attain right now because of how exponential the VP vs. rank curve gets towards the top of the leaderboard. I’d make the argument that a less exponential curve is also beneficial, because monster jumps in VP are far more likely to be discouraging to someone thinking about pushing for a higher rank. We’ll never truly straighten the curve, but perhaps there can be a greater number of smaller jumps required to hurdle for that next enticing reward?

Some good points. I think they should try to expand the 2/5 threshold as you suggest, just to see the impact. It could drive some of that competition significantly. Or maybe not. Either way, I would track that community VP.

I have to say that the skirmish rewards are tops. I don't think it's necessary to add community rewards. And I honestly don't think it would change participation in a skirmish. People tend to love them or hate them and a 1/4 probably won't change anything. Now... It could make a difference on faction. But I think the company would have to weigh packs vs the cost of shuttle supplies purchased to meet community thresholds. That seems like a tall order to match the difference in pack/deal sales, tbh.
    Farewell 🖖