Home Ready Room
Options

Crew Management for Voyages During Events

RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Ready Room
There are two points often mentioned on the forums that aren't mutually exclusive:
  1. Don't have enough crew slots;
  2. Holding onto 4/4s for their use in voyages because 1/5s don't cut the mustard there in comparison.

I'm not going to go into general crew management here ... there have been enough threads on that ... but with VIP0 players having easy access to 125 crew slots and with the influx of Dil, 135 slots are even fairly easily achievable ... this thread is to hopefully provide a different perspective on those 1/5s people own and populating their voyages during "difficult" periods such as Faction, Faction-hybrid and Expedition events (Galaxy and Skirmish events are business as usual).
So ... for the coming while, I'll post voyage line-ups where I hit 6/8 hrs only using certain 1/5s and 2/5s I own. Hopefully, this will help you clear up some crew slots when the likes of Combat Medic Paris, Assimilated Troi, Doc La Forge, Jurati etc. etc. are frozen.

Parameters
1. The crew I will use are those who will generally be available during the weekend while an event is running, so not:
  1. 3+/5 crew - this is when base stats generally start being good that crew might land a shuttle seat as either small bonus or just because they are the best base crew you own (this means I won't use base duds - but okay for the purpose of this thread like 3/5 Suliban Reed, 4/5 Orion Vina, 3/5 Suus Mahna Sarek, 3/5 Lt Commander La Forge, 4/5 Covert Operative Leland, 5/5 Age of Sail Crusher etc. etc.);
  2. Event magnets - all variants of Picard, Spock, Kirk, Jadzia Dax, Burnham, Janeway, Seven, Data, Riker and Sisko - so, even event duds (but good for voyages) like my 2/5 Locutus or 1/5 Away Team Burnham or 2/5 Niners Sisko etc. etc.);
  3. Crew who have been mega-event or Gauntlet crew - needless to say, for me, they fall under the first bullet point, but I just want to emphasise it here - so no Garth, Etana Jol, Q as "God", Armus, Caretaker etc. etc., as they might be the best you own and be constantly in use during events.
As an added difficulty I probably won't be using any Pilots for the first few voyages ... e.g. no 2/5 Braxton ... as I might be using them myself during the upcoming event.

2. I've usually cited up strong voyage crew, so most of the crew available are pretty average when going by what the Big Book states.
Furthermore, I'm restricting myself like this because I am away that I might have more crew available to me than the reader does, but because of the over restriction, it might be the case that the reader can send out some of their top crew because they don't receive event bonus during a specific event ... for the purpose of this exercise, I'm stating that all the above crew are hypothetically event crew.

3. I'm trying for 6 or 8 hr voyages because of here ... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/15954/the-voyage-project-part-1#latest ... it was shown that all things being equal, 8 hrs is the optimum length for a voyage when farming honor and chronitons ... please discuss the implications in that thread and not here.

4. For 6 and 8 hr voyages, I'm abiding by the following distribution rule, though other rules are possible (e.g. @Banjo1012 's). Where possible (hopefully each time) I'll go for 8 hrs. These are the parameters:
  1. 6 hrs - 8000/8000/3000... - with one of the 4 3000s as high as possible.
  2. 8 hrs - 10.000/10.000/3000... - with one of the 3000s as high as possible.

5. I will provide feedback on crew choices and possible substitutions for each voyage.

6. I've already provided examples for how to reach 10 hrs using mainly crew available to all (mega, gauntlet) for difficult combos like ENG/MED and CMD/MED.
Where I can, I'll use those types of crew as much as possible here too (e.g. a 1/5 Phoenix Cochrane, Tuxedo Nog, 2/5 Mariachi Q and Quinn etc.).

My current voyage comes back in an hour or so, so will post the first example soon ... just wanted to get this primary post in prior to that.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This sounds like a fun test of how good my 1/5s actually are, my voyage is returning shortly before the event start so I might partake in this challenge.

EDIT I hope there are no objections to MED I really didn't have many options they were all immortalised or too main cast, plus it was ENG CMD! what are the chances I did however add a 3/4 Kes to kind of balance things out a bit:

mwjb6xkovccs.png
    tvkh7a963s8h.png
    im0pqq2x3gxj.png
    b6xx0d5z5as4.png
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    I anxiously await!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #1 - A Rough Start

kom5r96liteg.png

So ... first one out of the gate MED/ENG ... facepalm

But, you gotta live with what you get ... and boy did I make it difficult on myself here ...

CMD
    Alternate Future Bashir 1/5
    Irina 1/5 - a PILOT ... oops, no big deal though, have better ENG.
    * a lot better options for CMD seats if I could use Kirk, Seven or Braxton even (out on shuttles for the event).
    DIP
    Crell Moset 1/5
    "Dark Ages" McCoy 2/5 - strong candidate here because of the good balance of stats
    SEC
    Tactical Officer Neelix 2/5
    Claymore Scotty 1/5
    SCI
    Captain La Forge 1/5
    Mirror Stamets 1/5
    ENG
    Loken 2/5 - strongest one out here wrt the main skills.
    Resilient Tuvok 1/5
    MED
    Leo Da Vinci 1/5 - a solid candidate for one of the best 1/5 crew ... good even stats on SCI/ENG which makes him better than Stamets at this fuse point (in my eyes) ... makes it onto some 10 hr voyages for me.
    Dr. Katherine Pulaski 1/5.

Notes
    Yeah, any "common" immortal 5* crew would help here ... the Caretaker, Soji, Bartender Guinan, Cornwell ... none of these would be used in the average event.

So, this is a 6 hr voyage, unfortunately, but this has to be the most difficult combo, even for more experienced rosters ... take your losses when you have to and just hope the next voyage brings a better combo.
    Voyage estimator puts this at just over 7 hrs, but I'll recall right after 6.

EDIT - Conclusion
    Recalled at 6 hrs with over 1500 AM in the tank ... 6 hr dilemma was The Clown pt 2 (airlocked for 200 honor) ... yeah, even with immortal 4*s on the roster this is really hard to get to 8 hrs without using some decent crew. But, even this mötley crew of 5*s made it to 6 hrs with ease.

I've been having massive performance issues playing the game on my phone since the update, so wasn't able to get a screenshot ... this morning installed on an old iPad ... hopefully, I can now ... new voyage is primed to go ... MED/SEC ... see below (boy they don't give me the easy ones!)
  • Options
    And just look at that fantastic Breen Warship they're all flying around in.
  • Options
    9 of 79 of 7 ✭✭
    Sorry off topic. Cannot seem to find my own thread button. See picture. How do i change the episodes to showing a character. It shows on some but not all? I have completed every level on every stage on every episode months ago. Did I miss something? any way to correct this? Correct already? Thank youb6czn3uejmpz.png
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 of 7 wrote: »
    Sorry off topic. Cannot seem to find my own thread button. See picture. How do i change the episodes to showing a character. It shows on some but not all? I have completed every level on every stage on every episode months ago. Did I miss something? any way to correct this? Correct already? Thank youb6czn3uejmpz.png

Sadly those Icons are not customizable, only things that can be customized with characters are the bridge crew of your ship and your avatar.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #2 - Throwing the Best of the Worst at It - pt. 1

7a93ige9lk94.png

Second one out of the gate MED/SEC ... not much easier:

CMD
    - Priestess Siranna 3/4* - not the best option, but yes, make use of 3/4s where you can, this was the last seat of the 12 I filled and used her to balance out the scores a bit.
    - Durango Troi 2/5* - not the best option, but she was available to all. Maybe I should add her to main cast?
    DIP
    - Humbled Archer 1/5* - changed the shuttles I'm running, not using him for Pilot in the current event.
    - "Dark Ages" McCoy 2/5*
    SEC
    - Bounty Hunter Mudd 1/5 - not the best option for SEC, but other skills are handy here to balance those out.
    - Niners Ezri 1/5* - wohoo ... solid voyager.
    SCI
    - Dr. Katherine Pulaski 1/5*
    - Defensive Phlox 1/5
    ENG
    - Leo da Vinci 1/5
    - Delta Flyer Torrers 1/5* - overloaded with ENG Pilot crew in the current event.
    MED
    - Crell Moset 1/5*
    - Tactical Officer Neelix 2/5* - again, a solid voyager who I really should cite up.
    Starting AM : 2875 - crew with * indicate bonus AM.

Notes
    Again, any "common" immortal 5* crew would help here ... Bartender Guinan, Cornwell, Bell Riots Bashir ... none of these would be used in the average event and would push this voyage to 8 hrs. I'm not sure an immortal 4* would do much, maybe use Mirror Phlox if you have them out for the Gauntlet.

So, this is a 6 hr voyage ... a rough combo ... MED crew are citation magnets, so cite up your good MED crew and you can hit 8 hrs no problem.
    Voyage estimator puts this in range of 8 hrs, but I'll recall right after 6 because the chances are low (play the percentages) to hit 8 (5%). But we're getting there ...

As a comparison, here's a recent 10 hr voyage for the same skills ... I could use all crew on that voyage bar RAF O'Brien, as none are required for this current event.

s7qm6m3lionf.png
    Conclusion
    to come ... See directly below.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #2 - Throwing the Best of the Worst at It - pt. 2

eeg8gvr284rn.png

At 6 hrs I still had 1947 AM ... put it in the calculator and it gave a 50/50 for 8 hrs ... so thought "why not" ... and voila.

A bit lucky, but hey ... even this ragtag crew of low-fuse 5*s with a 3/4 to boot can hit 8 hrs on not the easiest of voyage combos.

For me, SEC/MED combo amongst 3-skill 5*s is my #12 in average voyage strength ... #1 is CMD/SEC and #2 is CMD/DIP.

In about 3 hrs we'll see what the next combo is ... I'm having major lag issues, now even on my iPad so might have some issues getting the next one going ... this event has been a bust so far, can hardly send out shuttles.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #3 - The Standard Skill Combo - pt. 1

3z6z6e944fi5.png

The third is DIP/SEC ... we'll see:

CMD
    - Quinn 2/5 - I wanted to use him, because he's free for all to get to 2/5.
    - Rescue Team Uhura 1/5 - ugh, a Bajoran bonus ... but can't use Sisko ... still, not a bad second choice.
    DIP
    - Interfaced La Forge 2/5* - an excellent option.
    - Satin Dress Lily Sloane 1/5* - I like her and am happy to be able to pick her at this moment to shine. Solid trait set. Lily's another crew we could all pick up.
    SEC
    - Tactical Officer Neelix 2/5 - just plain good, pick him up in a behold when you can. 3 for 3 so far.
    - Niners Ezri 1/5* - present yet again
    SCI
    - Rain Robinson 1/5 - you don't see her mentioned much, but she's pretty okay for this kind of work.
    - Captain Rachel Garrett 2/5* - another Pilot not making it onto shuttles. Not great for voyages, but don't only want to pick the best ... Sarah Sisko (1/5) would have done well here.
    ENG
    - Claymore Scotty 1/5 - I regret picking him for this seat.
    - Aviator Yar 2/5* - yet another Pilot, I've had her for aeons, one of my faves. Didn't we all get a copy of Yar?
    MED
    - Dr. Katherine Pulaski 1/5* - really solid crew, picked now 3 times in a row ... if I didn't have Twilight T'Pol 5/5, I would have cited Pulaski.
    - Vahar'ai Saru 1/5 - just to throw in someone new really. Lots of good options here, see the two MED voyages above (McCoy, Phlox etc.)
    Starting AM : 2800 - crew with * indicate bonus AM.

Notes
    Again, any "common" immortal 5* crew would help here ... Bartender Guinan, Cornwell, Bell Riots Bashir, Locutus ... none of these would be used in the average event and would push this voyage to an easy 8 hrs. As it is, I'll be lucky to get 8 but 6 is 100% in the bag. We'll see how much AM I have left at 6 hrs ... as it stands I currently am at 45% to hit 8 hrs (go for it in my books if I hit that dilemma during the day, not right before bed).

Just to indicate ... the likes of Uhura at 1/5 is a fraction below the best immortal 4* voyage total of Roman Kirk. Those 100 points spread across 3 skills aren't going to solidify 8 hrs by any stretch.

I didn't even line up DIP stalwarts Sarah Sisko (1/5) etc. This combo always has plenty of options, which can make it difficult, as it can be hard to balance with all the choices available.
    Tip: Choose a third skill and focus on that as a third preference ... didn't really do that here, ideally, I should have pushed ENG more and let CMD or SCI slip.

Conclusion
    to come ...
  • Options
    Voyage #3 - The Standard Skill Combo - pt. 2

pdyz1ifjal84.png

So ... at 6 hrs I again check the voyage calculator ... https://codepen.io/somnivore/full/Nabyzw ... had a 95% chance to make 8 hrs ... so that's an easy decision ...

DIP/SEC is my #10 overall voyage strength combo (average) ... but like I mentioned in pt.1 ... the choice is massive for this skill combo and it is really down to working to your strengths ... so you go for the third skill that best suits you ... usually CMD or SCI.

Up next ... 2-skillers and 3/4s ...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #4 - Fab 3/4s - pt. 1

v0ia1boywh3p.png

The fourth is MED/CMD ... geez, they don't toss me easy ones during this thread ... but here goes:

What if I don't have 10-12 1/5s to fill a voyage? ... just a couple of 2-skillers, low tier crew and some 3/4s ... because I froze all my 4/4s and my 5*s are attending the event.

CMD
    - Desperate Riker 3/4 - I had to go "illegal" here because I only have 7 3/4s in total.
    - Keyla Detmer 3/4 - Put your 4*s in the main skills for the voyage.
    DIP
    - Priestess Siranna 3/4* - had used her before.
    - Vahar'ai Saru 1/5 - you might have one decent 5* available for the voyage ... in this case, I happen to have Saru free from other duties.
    SEC
    - "Dark Ages" McCoy 2/5* - again a solid choice, good for an older card. Not a bad base if you want to build up voyage crew.
    - Bashir, Julian Bashir 1/5 - a unique crew that has fairly even numbers across his three skills, great when you want to spread the love around a little for these short voyages.
    SCI
    - New Eden Owosekun 3/4 - these faction/skirmish event 4*s pile up, so why not put them to good use?
    - Captain Rachel Garrett 2/5 - Again, not the best voyager but here she adds crucial stats.
    ENG
    - Augment Commander O'Brien 2/5* - one of the better 2-skill 5*s ... here he's onboard because he adds stats across to boost two weaker skills. Poor base stats are coupled with excellent proficiency rolls.
    - Captain La Forge 1/5 - Has to be one of the weaker 5*s ... on par with 3/4s. Still ... his specific skill combo is quite unique and can come in quite handy (as is the case here).
    MED
    - Alternate Future Bashir 1/5* - Another weak 5* for voyages ... but with a decent skill combo, excellent for these MED/CMD voyages.
    - Goddess of Empathy Troi 1/5 - not bad for a 2-skiller - bad base stats but an excellent proficiency means she is probably more use on a voyage than during a Troi event.
    Starting AM : 2750 - crew with * indicate bonus AM - 3rd voyage in a row the Borg Cube gives bonus.

Notes
    After the most difficult voyage combo ... we're hit with the second most difficult ... no problem ... 6 hrs is therefore the goal and to be efficient we recall right after the dilemma ... don't try arranging crew for 8 hrs if you normally struggle anyway ... the event is more important to help bring in new crew to improve your overall strength, or to help immortalise some 4*s.

I had to "cheat" slightly because I just don't have that many 4*s available ... so Riker takes part in this one ... the only other 3/4s I have available are Fenris Ranger Seven, Indignant Seven, Commander Shelby and Riva ... I have Vice Admiral Dougherty at 2/4 as well.

2-skill 5*s are great to either boost the voyage skills ... or provide a boost to two of the tertiary skills so that you can have other crew not have to worry about those.
    Hence, 2-skill 5*s are best when their skill combo is kinda unique ... the two above or Chaotica or a DIP/SCI like the new Keiko.
    They'll quickly fade as you get more 5* crew in, but why not make use of them during crunch times like event weekends.

The 5*s were chosen because they are on par - voyages-stat wise - with 3/4s ... McCoy and Saru are the only ones who are slightly better. e.g. AF Bashir has a voyage total of 2207 ... 2345 is the average of ALL 4*s I own (most immortal, but includes 1 and 2 skill crew) - numbers with stat bonuses from collections and starbase.

Conclusion
    To come ...
  • Options
    Voyage #4 - Fab 3/4s - pt. 2

zpqrqn47f7rl.png

An easy six with the most average of crew.

MED/CMD is my #14 average voyage strength combo for the top 12 crew with that skills and my #15 for overall 5* CREW.

Up next ... but you're only using 5* ships!!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #5 - Deja Vu - pt. 1&2

Another MED/CMD voyage ... sent out the exact same crew but on a 4* ship (hence no starting picture).

EDIT: Here are the voyage totals of the crew ... just for comparison:

Riker 3/4 (2313); Detmer 3/4 (2312); Siranna 3/4* (2355); Saru 1/5 (2699); DA McCoy 2/5* (2461); Bond Bashir 1/5 (2523); Owosekun 3/4 (2392); Garrett 2/5 (2521); O'Brien 2/5* (2402); La Forge 1/5 (2322); AF Bashir 1/5* (2207); Troi 1/5 (2097).

4* average all crew I own (incl. 1 and 2 skillers and 1/4s, 2/4 and 3/4s): 2347.
    5* average for all non-immortalised 5*s I own: 2527.
    5* average all 5*s: 2877.

Notes
    Don't have a 5* ship with bonus maxed (like the Borg Cube), just send out a 4* one ... starting AM is 2500 for voyage #5 ... which still means we have 100% chance to hit 6 hrs, which is our goal ... if we hit it with 797 AM remaining or 250-300 less, it doesn't matter, we still get there using our "below average" crew.

Conclusion
    Coming soon ... EDIT: see below.

jz1gasxjdzxv.jpg

So, we even lucked into a 4* from the dilemma at 6 hrs ... and we were 170 AM down on a 5* ship that hit bonus.

I just want to highlight 2 crew used:
    - "Dark Ages" McCoy - he gets a lot of praise on the forums with his three skills that surpass 1000 once immortalised. He can be really nice for players who haven't really developed a voyage crew yet because of the steady points he adds to his skills. Can be handy even for voyages not aimed to his skills.

- Bashir, Julian Bashir - someone not often mentioned, but he's basically the same as McCoy, with even more balanced skill numbers ... and higher points total than McCoy ... as we can he from above, at 1/5 he has more voyage points than McCoy at 2/5!

Up next ... the event is over, we can use our regulars ... let's see if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Voyage #6 - Event End - pt. 1

4c796d3au0sy.png
    The sixth is ENG/SCI ... This is one of the easier combos because there are just so many choices really. Going by the previous voyages this should be 8 hrs, no questions asked, 10 if we have the right immortalised 5*s ... but ...

Just imagine:
    The event is over, we can get our best crew back in. I'm going by owning the last 3 mega-event 5*s and have them immortalised. Also the Gauntlet crew. I can once again use the Kirks, Janeways, Siskos etc. and the 3+/5s I might have picked up through end-of-mega packs etc. ... I've managed to pick up some event 5*s over that time and have been lucky in some beholds.
    For this example, I'm f2p so do not own any of the campaign legendaries.

CMD
    - Garth of Izar 5/5* - for the numbers.
    - Executive Director Hugh 1/5 - he's actually pretty good (see notes).
    DIP
    - Satin Dress Lily Sloane 1/5* - I own her so why not use her here.
    - Laborer Kirk 1/5* - excellent Kirk variant that I'd been using during the event as a Kirk variant.
    SEC
    - Lt. Commander Icheb 3/5 - he was busy during the event in shuttles with a decent SCI base.
    - Irina 1/5 - same as Lily.
    SCI
    - Picard & Number 1 5/5* - one of the best options around for overall volume of stats he brings to a voyage.
    - Armus 5/5* - need his interesting skill combo.
    ENG
    - The Caretaker 5/5* - one of the best, if not the best, freely available voyagers, no brainer for this combo
    - Resilient Tuvok 1/5 - another decent crew (see notes).
    MED
    - Leo da Vinci 1/5* - he's shown his strength on previous voyages and once again gets a seat.
    - Soji Asha 5/5* - another strong overall voyager.
    Starting AM : 2850 - crew with * indicate bonus AM.

Notes
    So the voyage estimator gives a 100% 8 hrs and that's what we'll take any day ... better than the iffy ones we had to run during the event.

Now, to be honest, personally, this is a 10 hr voyage each and every time for me ... I found it hard to choose crew without resorting to only the ones I usually send, so I tried to use crew I'd used previously used in examples (Irina, Leo, Lily).
    In retrospect, I could have used Claymore Scotty again for Hugh (shifting Kirk to CMD) and used DF Torres for Tuvok ... ah well, the result would have been similar ... 100% 8 hrs.
    I just kinda chose Garth to use the three mega crew ... but there are so many better options that someone might have cited up etc.

Anyway, my goal was to use crew that are similar to those a reasonably active player might own after a reasonable time in the game, hence the last 3 mega-event legendaries i.e. someone who might still be relying on immortalised 4*s to supplement their crew.
    It has been difficult to not always slot in the "perfect" solution but to find crew who just kinda half-fit and might, therefore, reflect a player's overall crew who hasn't had the time to get every single top tier voyager ... heck, I don't even own all Tier 1 crew in the Big Book (don't have FO Burnham, Gary Seven and Indulgent Seven - with my Locutus at 2/5 - have Warship EMA immortalised).

Two more posts ... a pt.2 to this one and a wrap-up.

Conclusion
    To come ...
  • Options
    Voyage #6 - Event End - pt. 2

p6u5icfiizw6.png

So, we hit the 8 hrs, comfortably, without a hitch ... did I staff this voyage optimally? No.
    However, it is a difficult situation, as I've actively cited crew ideal for these types of voyages and there have been older mega-event crew who would fit right in.
    So, I've gone for the generally decent crew that the average player might have access to in the hope to reflect a crew selection that has come together in a bit of a random manner, as might be the case early on for players, where only later there is more focus in developing depth to a roster.

Is 8 hrs good using "random" crew?
    Yes, it is the most optimal duration to farm Honor and chronitons from voyages ... which in turn can be used to improve crew, either through better participation in galaxy-style events or being able to cite up strong/highly ranked crew.

So, where does this all leave us ... ?
  • Options
    Concluding Statement

So, of the 6 voyages run:
    - 1 was at "full strength" and hit 8 hrs with ease.
    - 3 voyages were the most difficult combos out there (MED/ENG and MED/CMD) and 6 hrs was comfortably achieved, even when using 3/4s, low ranked 1/5s and a 4* ship.
    - 2 voyages using low-rated crew hit 8 hrs (DIP/SEC and SEC/MED) ... key there was to check progress at 6 hrs and then take an educated risk/decision (or not) to go for 8 hrs.
    - not a single 4/4 was used.
    - there were restrictions in the crew used due to a fictional event taking place that needed all our best crew.

If you've got 10-20 5* crew FE'd then you can safely start freezing up those immortalised 4*s when in need of crew slots ... your 3/4s and 5* crew can easily pull you through any event weekend to still efficiently run voyages ... remember 6 and 8 hrs are the most efficient when farming for chronitons and honor ... we can use the week voyages to try for 10 hrs and get in last *s for 4* crew or voyage-only crew (I did manage to get The Clown in voyage #1 - a 6 hr voyage).

Relying on immortalised 4*s means you are artificially capping your strength, they can't get any better, but those 1/5s you own can ... so if you can already reach your goals using 1/5s, imagine the heights you can reach when they have *s added to them.
    Sure, I'd love to be able to hit 8 hrs for all examples above, but that just requires time and additional 5*s to sub in for weaker options ... imagine if I had a 1/5 Pollard and 1/5 Reverend Phlox on the MED/CMD voyage, that would greatly increase my chances there ... would a 4/4 Kes (the one @Ironagedave used)? I might have the honor to add another star or two to Pollard as soon as I pick her up. So, why am I holding onto Kes during a crew slot crunch, when I can hit 6 hrs with ease and use my crew strength and crew space as efficiently as possible.
    Yeah, it is great if a voyage goes for 11 hrs ... but we should have the realisation that we're playing very efficiently when we get to 6 ... is that "sexy"/etc.? Not really, but maybe achieving the goals we set for the event can cover that.

Anyway, it has all been a bit preachy ... but I hope that any reader has at least taken away a different perspective on how to maybe approach voyages and available crew.
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Concluding Statement

So, of the 6 voyages run:
    - 1 was at "full strength" and hit 8 hrs with ease.
    - 3 voyages were the most difficult combos out there (MED/ENG and MED/CMD) and 6 hrs was comfortably achieved, even when using 3/4s, low ranked 1/5s and a 4* ship.
    - 2 voyages using low-rated crew hit 8 hrs (DIP/SEC and SEC/MED) ... key there was to check progress at 6 hrs and then take an educated risk/decision (or not) to go for 8 hrs.
    - not a single 4/4 was used.
    - there were restrictions in the crew used due to a fictional event taking place that needed all our best crew.

If you've got 10-20 5* crew FE'd then you can safely start freezing up those immortalised 4*s when in need of crew slots ... your 3/4s and 5* crew can easily pull you through any event weekend to still efficiently run voyages ... remember 6 and 8 hrs are the most efficient when farming for chronitons and honor ... we can use the week voyages to try for 10 hrs and get in last *s for 4* crew or voyage-only crew (I did manage to get The Clown in voyage #1 - a 6 hr voyage).

Relying on immortalised 4*s means you are artificially capping your strength, they can't get any better, but those 1/5s you own can ... so if you can already reach your goals using 1/5s, imagine the heights you can reach when they have *s added to them.
    Sure, I'd love to be able to hit 8 hrs for all examples above, but that just requires time and additional 5*s to sub in for weaker options ... imagine if I had a 1/5 Pollard and 1/5 Reverend Phlox on the MED/CMD voyage, that would greatly increase my chances there ... would a 4/4 Kes (the one @Ironagedave used)? I might have the honor to add another star or two to Pollard as soon as I pick her up. So, why am I holding onto Kes during a crew slot crunch, when I can hit 6 hrs with ease and use my crew strength and crew space as efficiently as possible.
    Yeah, it is great if a voyage goes for 11 hrs ... but we should have the realisation that we're playing very efficiently when we get to 6 ... is that "sexy"/etc.? Not really, but maybe achieving the goals we set for the event can cover that.

Anyway, it has all been a bit preachy ... but I hope that any reader has at least taken away a different perspective on how to maybe approach voyages and available crew.

This is super cool.

You mentioned a few times where certain skill combos rank for you. How do you determine that?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Cheers ...

I've got a spreadsheet that tracks 5* crew for voyage stats when taking their fuse level into account (e.g. 1/5 or 3/5 etc.) and also the immortal stats for all 5* crew I own ... oh, I only take 3-skill crew into consideration.

I have 2 ways to rank the skill combos:

1. Top 12 crew
    The top 12 are just that ... which crew have the highest totals for specific combos ... for example, for CMD/MED there will be crew with:
    • a high combo for both CMD and MED - e.g. Reverend Phlox or Doc Pollard;
    • a high MED - e.g. a 5/5 Twilight T'Pol;
    • a high CMD - e.g. Admiral Maxwell Forrest.

By adding up the scores of the crew for skill combos I can then rank them.
    It only gives a general indication of how strong the voyages are ... I might not put all the top12 crew onto a voyage because they could all be very similar ... for example Kortar, Thrax and Kol are all SEC/CMD (so appear in the CMD/SEC column) and that might be overkill in the same three skills.

The main thing I like is that I can see where voyages might need some attention and if I cite/immortalise certain crew the effect that will have.
    One of the parameters I've got to determine citations is to use this ranking ... so CMD/DIP/SEC crew have a total of 2+1+10=13 (CMD/DIP rank)+(CMD/SEC)+(DIP/SEC) to weight their voyage totals once immortalised ... which gives me an overview of their replacement value over other crew.
    (I'm actually thinking of changing this method, but not enough time at the moment)

--> this means that crew with unique skill combos (when considering my crew make-up) will have a higher impact on voyages ... this may seem self-evident, but there are quite a few surprises (e.g. one of the highest impact crew I own who I've not immortalised is Away Team Burnham - higher than e.g. First Officer Burnham, if I would own her - not that FO Burnham doesn't have a high impact score, it is good too!).

2. Average for total crew with a skill combo
    So, for example, all crew with CMD or DIP will be taken into account for the average CMD/DIP voyage score.

This is interesting for example ... DIP/SEC has the #10 score for top 12 (because I've not immortalised any DIP/SEC main skill crew) but is #2 in overall ranking ...
    --> why it is so "easy" to get good voyages with that skill combo, there are a lot of good crew to choose from with high stats, so I can basically fill it in any way I want and still get good results.

The higher this score the better the flexibility for choosing appropriate voyage crew. Whereas (1) only shows raw power.

Ok ... enough for now ... here's a screenshot of the table.

nvfq2n0hq37b.png

EDIT ... So ... based on these numbers ... who would I pick in a Behold between ... Defensive Phlox, Phlox Au Naturel and Reverend Phlox? :)
    (bummer I didn't have 1500 Dil).