Home Make It So!
Options

Fixing the scan again option

S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doing scans for the campaign is the worst part of the STT. Sometimes I would gladly pay around 10 dil per scan just to get rid of that daily mission.

But there is no way in hell I would ever pay 300 for a scan again option.
TP you are losing a lot of money here.

A lot of players would sometimes pay 10 dil just to get rid of the daily mission and campaign for a day but nobody will every pay 300 for that option.

Comments

• Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I'm really sick of getting useless Ferengi transmissions from it. It wouldn't seem so bad if all those transmissions were from Section 31 or another worthwhile faction.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    I quite like the scans idea, it's like a mini-dabo. It is true tho that most of stuff from scans are useless. I'd love to see it modified so that things that make actual sense appear, like maybe transmissions and ship parts, things that make sense to appear on ship radars, and also more useful for players.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not wrong. I've often wondered if scanning was ever relevant, even in the early game. Other than the Ktarian headset, scans just do not yeild anything of value.

That said, I wouldn't even waste 10 dil on them (though I recognize others might). Really what TP should do is let us scan once for free, once for credits, and once for merits.

Or, better yet, just get rid of scanning all together. It doesn't help new players and it doesn't help veteran players. It is just an annoyance; plain and simple. It would be in TP's best interest to get rid of simple annoyances in their game.

My 2¢.

(Also, how did scanning become a thing in the first place? What is this, Mass Effect?) xD

In the early weeks and months of the game, there was a decidedly different game experience compared to what we have now. No voyages. No gauntlet. No honor. No citations. No cryostasis vault. No cadet missions. No Arena, even. Other than sending shuttles and running ship battles or away missions, there was basically nothing to do, and scans were a tool for driving engagement and obtaining resources, which were a lot harder to come by back then.
  • Options
    LeperfleshLeperflesh ✭✭✭
    If scanning returned ship components or starbase components I'd love it. Wouldn't even have to be a whole lot, but if I occasionally got like five or twenty 4* or 5* ship components from a scan, I'd be much more excited about tapping that button again in three hours.

Which is to say, I'd be *very, very slightly* excited, rather than experiencing it as yet another daily grinding chore gatekeeping my daily achievement.
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    Scans are completely worthless. The problem isn't how much dil it costs to scan, it's the fact that you get literally nothing in return. It's busy work for the sake of busy work. The entire scan system needs to be 100% scrapped and redone or just eliminated entirely.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an idea a while ago (By me, I think) to have scans pick up crew stranded on different planets of the galaxy map. It could be a fleet coordinated effort. 50 people in a fleet cover different planets and when someone finds the crew they can alert the others where to go to find that stranded crew. That would make scans at least interesting and worthwhile.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    There was an idea a while ago (By me, I think) to have scans pick up crew stranded on different planets of the galaxy map. It could be a fleet coordinated effort. 50 people in a fleet cover different planets and when someone finds the crew they can alert the others where to go to find that stranded crew. That would make scans at least interesting and worthwhile.

That's a very interesting idea. The one flaw I see is, 50 people scan 50 different planets. One finds a crew member and alerts the others. However, the others have already wasted their scan. Don't get me wrong, it's great idea. I do feel like it would also, potentially, be very frustrating.

I suppose an alternative would be: just add crew to scans. On the other hand, if those crew aren't good, it might still feel like the same problem we have now.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very interesting idea. The one flaw I see is, 50 people scan 50 different planets. One finds a crew member and alerts the others. However, the others have already wasted their scan. Don't get me wrong, it's great idea. I do feel like it would also, potentially, be very frustrating.

I suppose an alternative would be: just add crew to scans. On the other hand, if those crew aren't good, it might still feel like the same problem we have now.

It’s not like you only get one scan a day.

• Options

True, but, on a 3h cool down, you only realistically get 4 (maybe 5) per day.

And, just to be clear, I'd prefer your idea, potential frustrations and all, over what we currently get.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

True, but, on a 3h cool down, you only realistically get 4 (maybe 5) per day.

And, just to be clear, I'd prefer your idea, potential frustrations and all, over what we currently get.

Thanks. I agree, it does need some spice.

• Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Make the map more useful at the same time by requiring one to travel to different planets to initiate their next scan. Keep it random. And we shouldn't be limited to a small number of places to go such as the faction locations.

For instance, you can't scan from where you are presently located. When the time to scan indicator lights up, you open the map, pick a new planet anywhere you wish, go there and then scan. Done.

As the game is now, the vast majority of locations still feel new because you only visit them one time when you first do the episode missions. Once the episode is done and you can warp missions, you never see these places again.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    Slick wrote: »
    Make the map more useful at the same time by requiring one to travel to different planets to initiate their next scan. Keep it random. And we shouldn't be limited to a small number of places to go such as the faction locations.

For instance, you can't scan from where you are presently located. When the time to scan indicator lights up, you open the map, pick a new planet anywhere you wish, go there and then scan. Done.

As the game is now, the vast majority of locations still feel new because you only visit them one time when you first do the episode missions. Once the episode is done and you can warp missions, you never see these places again.

I feel like forcing people to warp around in order to scan is only going to exacerbate "the problem with scans" issue.

Instead, what if the was a specific location, that you could see on the map (it would be a random location), that you could warp to. If you scan, once there, you would not only get better loot, but you'd also knockout two of your scanning dailies.
  • Options
    Interesting, sometimes depending on IRL problems, for those who are only able to get on a short amount of time in a day, if timed correctly could bust out all their dailies in 5 minutes or less with that. It is 7 shuttles, so there are tokens or dilithium to send out more than 4 to hit those, now that there is no cool down time on the cadets and arena, this would be very helpful. Either nix the shuttle scans as a daily or altogether. If there is a way to rework the scanning process, by all means.

The other side is if folks don't want to use tokens or dil, shuttles take 3 hours to come back after you run the usual first few when you just start working on a faction, as well as scans have a 3 hour cool down, so if it's timed correctly, one can knock out both of those dailies in two sittings.
    Best,
    Nauti

Level 99; VIP 14
    Crew immortalized = 869
    Common Crew: 27/27, Uncommon Crew: 54/54, Rare Crew: 89/89, Super Rare Crew: 370/375, Legendary Crew: 363/454
    Pending collections = Klingon