Home The Bridge

My recent change in the way I play Mega-Events

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
So typically I'll throw the 5th star on the featured mega legendary as soon as I get it. This was to, in theory, give me the best performance out of that card for the longest period of time during the event.

But this time, the "Faction Only" event came first. A second star wouldn't help much at all, and I was doing fine with just 1/5 FE. So I decided to mix it up a little bit. I've decided not to cite anyone, and not to buy any packs. This time I'm just going to go bonkers on the "collection" packs at the end of the event.

Seeing that "Doctor Van Gogh" legendary made me even more confident in my decision. Maaan, I want that card. That'll be my white whale.

And then I realize, it seems like the obvious solution. Packs are 99.9% useless for me. Typically all honor anyway. Why wouldn't I make the most of the cheapest opportunity to buy it? Who else just waits for the end?

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    So typically I'll throw the 5th star on the featured mega legendary as soon as I get it. This was to, in theory, give me the best performance out of that card for the longest period of time during the event.

But this time, the "Faction Only" event came first. A second star wouldn't help much at all, and I was doing fine with just 1/5 FE. So I decided to mix it up a little bit. I've decided not to cite anyone, and not to buy any packs. This time I'm just going to go bonkers on the "collection" packs at the end of the event.

Seeing that "Doctor Van Gogh" legendary made me even more confident in my decision. Maaan, I want that card. That'll be my white whale.

And then I realize, it seems like the obvious solution. Packs are 99.9% useless for me. Typically all honor anyway. Why wouldn't I make the most of the cheapest opportunity to buy it? Who else just waits for the end?

Probably half of my fleet or more do this. And it's not just this mega event. It seems to be more of hitting a point - having a certain depth to your roster - that drives this strategy. I used to think it was silly to wait until after the mega - the pinnacle of usefulness - to cite bonus crew. Then one mega event, I was stacked with bonus crew. Chasing copies of mega event legendaries and SR's while accumulating honor just made sense.

So congrats on reaching this stage of the game. It's kind of like getting your first SR behold where you already have all three immortalized. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I used to cite the mega recurring right away too, but haven't for the past few megas. My decision has been partly due to the order of events and partly due to the strength/uniqueness of the character.

I personally haven't bought any recap packs, because the odds of getting who I want are worse than the individual event packs, especially if there are a couple 5* crew that I deliberately didn't go for. I just get event packs during faction or skirmish events, so I come away with all new 4* crew FF. At that point there are only a couple specific 5* crew that I'd be hoping to get from recap packs, with the odds heavily stacked against me.

For anybody who doesn't buy individual event packs and/or doesn't already have all the existing 4* FF, the recap packs are tremendous value.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Packs for 390 are my thing. I use to save dil over 2 months for this occasion and celebrate the opening. I never buy regular event packs, for factions I use a 4* citation as I have plenty from Christmas still and with one added each month they never get depleted.

I cited Janeway in her week 1 of her mega and did not dare to buy packs in the end. Stupid, I should have done it anyway. Those packs are almost as good as 1500 dil beholds. I have never cited a mega 5* ever since, only if the packs did not drop it (once afair).
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭

So congrats on reaching this stage of the game. It's kind of like getting your first SR behold where you already have all three immortalized. :)

Hahah, sadly I'm at the stage where EVERY SR behold is immortalized. Actually, I'm also at the stage where BeGolds are simply adding stars instead of giving me new choices.

If memory serves, its been over a year since I introduced the idea of a "shuffle" button on beholds. Maybe two years? Anyone remember?
  • I've played megas this way since the TOS mega, and don't regret it one bit. There is definitely something to be said for targeting some good 490 packs as well, but I personally haven't been tempted by one in quite a while.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    For me this tactic started with Minuet, continued with Kol and Thrax and now Suspiria.

With Medic Reno, Determined Paris and Activated Dahj already on the NHS waiting list there's not really any justification to cite Suspiria whatsoever for me.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually wait to add the fifth star and buy a bunch of the event wrap up packs hoping for a fifth star but it never came for me until last mega when I cited Soji early then of course she dropped in the wrap up pack.
    Let’s fly!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The recap packs always give me the purple crew I already had. I bought a bunch last time and got one gold, but most of it was crew I don't need. I don't think I'll be getting them again.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually cite the recurring legendary and make sure I get a fourth copy of any new 4* from Faction or Skirmish events...last week I couldn’t get a single Constipated Kes from eight event pack pulls (I did get three Linnises, so I can’t really complain) and decided this week that I would only try on event pack in case the stars aligned and a second Dahj came along (I got a fifth star for the Tholian instead). I do plan on pulling at least two of the 3900-dil recap packs in a hunt for final stars for Suspiria, Kes, and Kestra, plus any additional stars I can swing for Paris and Dahj. If I end up not getting what I need...well, whomever drops might be joining the Elnor I got from the last mega event’s recap packs on a long, untethered, EV suit-less spacewalk.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that was a colossal waste of time.

I just pulled 12 packs, did not get a SINGLE copy of Kestra (the only 4* crew I needed) nor a single 5* from the event.

One BeGold, put another star on Warship Tuvok over a couple of over bad choices.

Very disappointing. Reminds me of why I don't buy packs anymore.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    So this was the first mega that I decided to follow the recaps strategy, and it mostly paid off. Five of the 390-packs yielded 2 Grandma, 1 Kestra, 1 Obrist & 1 Karyn, letting me FF the two non-community SR's for the equivalent of three 650-(event)packs.

Two frozen beholds for 400 honor, plus enough schematics to take the Foo, er, Fed Fighter to level 9, was a nice little bonus. No gold stars for Dahj or Suspiria was a bit disappointing, but I am not too upset about letting them linger for a while.

Thank you, @Prime Lorca [10FH] . LLAP
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped citing the mega card after TOS mega, since the only 5* I got in the recaps was Garth. Have him 5/5 and unleveled 1/5. Has no value to me at 1/5 but can’t bring myself to space him ‘cause I like the character (and I spent Dil to get him). So now I avoid the problem by not citing and hoping to catch the 5th later. Worked for Soji. We’ll see about Suspiria later tonight.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I just pulled 12 packs, did not get a SINGLE copy of Kestra (the only 4* crew I needed) nor a single 5* from the event.

One BeGold, put another star on Warship Tuvok over a couple of over bad choices.

I'm sorry. I got all the Kestras, enough to not only finish the one at 3 🌟, but could have had at least two extras FF'd......

I got two Susudios { Of course only needed the fifth 🌟} New Dahj and a second 🌟, third 🌟 for Doc Van Gogh, final 🌟 for Krennim Guest Chuckles, and quite a few 🌟 s for SuperRares and Legendaries in progress.

Also ended up with 200,000+ Honour, for Cheesecake Seven to get Imortalized, and jump to my third highest Med, behind Bones & "Q"od......

Which pushed Settler Janeway down from six to seven.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • I did 32 packs. Got one each of Suspiria, Dahj, and Van Gogh and finished all the 4* crew. No begold's at all. Disappointed, but not the worst luck I've ever had.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I had enough dil to pull two of the 3900-packs. What I wanted was a Suspiria, a Kestra, a Granny Kes, and maybe a Linnis Paris (since I fell into getting her to 3/5* the first time around)...what I got was a Doctor Van Gogh, a Linnis, two Kestras, a Tanis, and a surprise straight drop for my first star on Trader Worf. I used the campaign citation to put Kes in the freezer, then realized I had just enough dil left to pull a single pack...that dropped Kes. The effort to reverse the citation with CS (which would really be a trade of the 200 honor I got from dumping the surprise Kes for the citation I spent) just isn’t worth it
    So this was the first mega that I decided to follow the recaps strategy, and it mostly paid off. Five of the 390-packs yielded 2 Grandma, 1 Kestra, 1 Obrist & 1 Karyn, letting me FF the two non-community SR's for the equivalent of three 650-(event)packs.

Two frozen beholds for 400 honor, plus enough schematics to take the Foo, er, Fed Fighter to level 9, was a nice little bonus. No gold stars for Dahj or Suspiria was a bit disappointing, but I am not too upset about letting them linger for a while.

Not the worst luck. My first 5 pulls did not yield either of the 2 SR's we needed. I saved up for 27 pulls though. It sure paid off, imo. I got the SR's finished. For legendaries, I got 2 Dahj, 1 Chakotay, and a behold where I took Mirror Reed. 3 coffee cup Janeway's was a nice little bonus.

If you can save up the dilithium next time, @~peregrine~ , 25+ pulls usually gets me something that I want. I may have to sit out next mega's recaps so I have enough for the one after that.
    Farewell 🖖
  • 30 packs. 1* to finish Suspiria, 2* for Van Gogh 😄, 1* each for Linnis & Chakotay🤷‍♀️, and no stars for Dahj 😕. All SRs from the Mega now are immortal. 1 begold from which I chose the first star on The Prophet over Lt. Wesley (2nd star) or starting Lt. Cdr. La Forge.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭

1 legendary behold out of 12 pulls isn t too uncommon though. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•

Not the worst luck. My first 5 pulls did not yield either of the 2 SR's we needed. I saved up for 27 pulls though. It sure paid off, imo. I got the SR's finished. For legendaries, I got 2 Dahj, 1 Chakotay, and a behold where I took Mirror Reed. 3 coffee cup Janeway's was a nice little bonus.

If you can save up the dilithium next time, @~peregrine~ , 25+ pulls usually gets me something that I want. I may have to sit out next mega's recaps so I have enough for the one after that.

25+ pulls, good to know & thanks for the heads-up. I have enough dilithium for several more 390-packs, so I might try one per day for the daily thingamajig & just keep banking for the next Honorpalooza.

P.S.: I did pull twice more, after my initial post. First one was meh, but the second one is very interesting....

8thzfr2a8i0f.png

... and thus find myself torn in three directions:

1. Choose Wesley for variants & put a smile on @eXo | SilverRose ’s face;
    2. Choose Vreenak for Romulan & put a (hopeful-for-Romulan-mega) smile on @Automaton_2000 ’s face; or
    3. Choose Wesley & airlock him for 550 honor, to put a smile on @Bylo Band ’s face.

(note the absence of Helmsman Wyatt in my deliberations.)

4. Choose Wesley and airlock out of spite because his Warp Theorist mega event just ended. :D:(

I would probably pick Vreenak, just in case we ever get the audio clip.
    Farewell 🖖
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

25+ pulls, good to know & thanks for the heads-up. I have enough dilithium for several more 390-packs, so I might try one per day for the daily thingamajig & just keep banking for the next Honorpalooza.

P.S.: I did pull twice more, after my initial post. First one was meh, but the second one is very interesting....

8thzfr2a8i0f.png

2. Choose Vreenak for Romulan & put a (hopeful-for-Romulan-mega) smile on @Automaton_2000 ’s face; or
    3. Choose Wesley & airlock him for 550 honor, to put a smile on @Bylo Band ’s face.

4. Choose Wesley and airlock out of spite because his Warp Theorist mega event just ended. :D:(

He does have the audio clip. I played it about 50 times before airlocking him after his event.

8thzfr2a8i0f.png

He does have the audio clip. I played it about 50 times before airlocking him after his event.

Dang! I hope I can scoop him up sometime.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! @~peregrine~ I know we can trust you to make the correct decision ;)

Although as a fan of Parks and Rec, I would also find it both satisfying and hilarious if you took Wyatt, airlocked him, and as you did so yell out, "Welcome to Ice Town!"
  • I did 8 pulls, I really wanted Dahj, but I got 2 Van Goghs and a few other useful items. Happily shocked.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

8thzfr2a8i0f.png

I thought he did. Went to ✔️, got distracted Equipping other Crew, and forgot to ✔️
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    “But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
    It is the east, and @eXo | SilverRose is the sun.
    Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
    Who is already sick and pale with grief
    That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.“

Romeo And Juliet Act 2, scene 2, 2–6

90aw008ei2dt.png
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Well, that was a colossal waste of time.

This is why I just buy one of the 3900 hundred packs. At least I'll get one event legendary and I'll avoid the FF/FE purples. I have 6 out of the 8 FF/FE I'm not going to chance that. With my luck, I'll put 2 skiller Linnis Paris who will practically be worthless until the end of time. Last mega, I pulled Vulcan legolas. I'll update you with my luck in a bit
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The recap packs always give me the purple crew I already had. I bought a bunch last time and got one gold, but most of it was crew I don't need. I don't think I'll be getting them again.

That is the risk

1 legendary behold out of 12 pulls isn t too uncommon though. ;)

1 for 12 is bad though.
    Let’s fly!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just pulled 12 packs, did not get a SINGLE copy of Kestra (the only 4* crew I needed)

I always figure it's more logical to buy the $9.99 offer when you need another star on a 4* event crew, than to try to get them in an event pack. Consider that $9.99 is the standard price for 700 dil; and unless you get the 4* crew you want in the first pack, you'd be spending more than $9.99 worth of dilithium for them. (Even considering that you may only purchase dilithium via offers that are 50% off, you will usually still come out better, since it can often take more than 2 packs to get the right one to drop.) So by spending that dollar amount right off the bat, you know you've got the one you want, plus (usually) another 2 event packs on top of that. The only way this method doesn't make sense is if you don't buy your dil, or if you typically just save up from the monthly card and don't spend money other than that at all.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    edited July 2020
    Data1001 wrote: »

I just pulled 12 packs, did not get a SINGLE copy of Kestra (the only 4* crew I needed)

I always figure it's more logical to buy the $9.99 offer when you need another star on a 4* event crew, than to try to get them in an event pack. Consider that $9.99 is the standard price for 700 dil; and unless you get the 4* crew you want in the first pack, you'd be spending more than $9.99 worth of dilithium for them. (Even considering that you may only purchase dilithium via offers that are 50% off, you will usually still come out better, since it can often take more than 2 packs to get the right one to drop.) So by spending that dollar amount right off the bat, you know you've got the one you want, plus (usually) another 2 event packs on top of that. The only way this method doesn't make sense is if you don't buy your dil, or if you typically just save up from the monthly card and don't spend money other than that at all.

I have done that before as well, and it is a logical approach to maximizing FF crew, as opposed to minimizing Dilithium expenditures.

What tilted the point of balance for me was the sequence-of-event structure for this mega, coupled with Suspiria’s generic skillset. YMMV, of course. 🖖

EDIT: Pulled a Suspiria on pack 8, not going to press my luck any further.