Home The Bridge

Skirmish Drops

calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been playing around with an alt account the last couple months, and I have finally gotten to the point where this new account can at least show up to events (not compete or hit threshold, but it can at least take part).

Last week, during the Skirmish, I was reminded that the intel drops in a Skirmish are completely pointless. An intel drop is essentially 30 intel. That means we would need 40 of these drops to allow for 1 additional run. Pointless. So how about swap out trainers instead? Still completely pointless for late-game players, but VERY useful for early and mid game players.

Comments

• Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see your point, but trainers are already available from numerous other sources in the game (missions, shuttles, gauntlet, voyages). The 30 intel drop is 2.5% of the entry cost for another round, which is virtually nothing compared to the 76 chroniton drop (79% of a round w/ supply kit, or 63% if not using a supply kit). Still, I would imagine the theory is that early accounts don't have the raw chroniton accumulations that more advanced accounts do, so from that perspective, every bit of intel might help the early account player in the event.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    I also see the amount of intels pointless. If it should be useful, it should be 10* the current amount
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TBH I think you get more than enough goodies in total from skirmishes plus you can run voyages and faction missions unhindered from the event.

I see the intel drops more like a counterweight, keeping the amount of reward in check. The problem with trainers is what rarity would you add there are 5 options not 3, I suppose you could go Blue/Purple/Gold, so that you don't dilute the reward pool further, but also how many would you get per drop; 10, 20?
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uluru wrote: »
    I also see the amount of intels pointless. If it should be useful, it should be 10* the current amount

Agree. If they make the standard drop = 300 intel instead, that would make more sense.

But early gamers aren’t going to compete anyway, so trainers would be more helpful, imho. Trainers would help early gamers, thus make them more likely to stick around. Some additional intel would help mid/late gamers, but it will not move the needle in any way for them.
    TBH I think you get more than enough goodies in total from skirmishes plus you can run voyages and faction missions unhindered from the event.

I see the intel drops more like a counterweight, keeping the amount of reward in check. The problem with trainers is what rarity would you add there are 5 options not 3, I suppose you could go Blue/Purple/Gold, so that you don't dilute the reward pool further, but also how many would you get per drop; 10, 20?

Interesting point.

I doubt this is possible (worth it from an roi perspective), but maybe have intel at epic, gold trainers at elite and purple trainers at standard?
    edited June 2020
    I see your point, but trainers are already available from numerous other sources in the game (missions, shuttles, gauntlet, voyages). The 30 intel drop is 2.5% of the entry cost for another round, which is virtually nothing compared to the 76 chroniton drop (79% of a round w/ supply kit, or 63% if not using a supply kit). Still, I would imagine the theory is that early accounts don't have the raw chroniton accumulations that more advanced accounts do, so from that perspective, every bit of intel might help the early account player in the event.

Early gamers are not competing either way. Giving them 1 additional skirmish run from a chron-full run will not move the needle. Getting additional trainers, which are the bottleneck for crew advancement for early gamers, would be VERY helpful.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good idea. Put trainers there and remove them from gauntlet.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Interesting point.

I doubt this is possible (worth it from an roi perspective), but maybe have intel at epic, gold trainers at elite and purple trainers at standard?

Oh no sorry I didn't explain myself fully. Not splitting them for difficulty level of a skirmish, you get 3 types of drop for items; example on epic level you can get 76 chronitons/honor 150 chronitons/honor, 300 chronitons/honor I forget what the intel ones are (LOL). My view would be using the trainer rarity instead of the quantity increase. I think restricting gold trainers to epic level wouldn't really help newer players as they would likely only be able to play normal mode.

Incidentally I am dubious whether anyone plays elite mode in a skirmish. These days you are more likely to get a maxed or at least level 9 5* ship before maxing a 4* ship but I guess there could be a few unlucky ones out there.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    This is a good idea. Put trainers there and remove them from gauntlet.
    This is a good idea. By the time you start getting streaks and serious rewards from the gauntlet, you don’t need the trainers anymore (over simplification).

Similar to the voyage crew. By the time you are able to get them, you don’t don’t need them.
  • yeah intel drops need to increase a factor 10 to be useful or at least be on par with other possible rewards
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that generally speaking, the skirmish rewards are what draws most people to participate in them.

But, last skirmish the top score was almost or maybe even more than 20 million event points.......So, why are reward tiers ending at 350,000?
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that generally speaking, the skirmish rewards are what draws most people to participate in them.

But, last skirmish the top score was almost or maybe even more than 20 million event points.......So, why are reward tiers ending at 350,000?

To prove a point.
    Rewards need reworked. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Still when new thresholds are added the top1000/1500 competition will just move up a little past that new threshold thus making it more hard/timeconsuming/costly then before, i do believe that rank rewards in general needs to be reworked aswell as the dabo wheel schematics, arena schematics, squad rewards and a nice addition would be fleet rewards to give any meaning to fleet rank lol
  • Drago MusevniDrago Musevni ✭✭✭✭
    or... split the difference.

Put trainers as rewards only in the Basic Skirmish level (1-2* ships)
    For Epic Skirmish either get rid of intel drops, or increase the amount of intel that drops by a factor of 10.
    01000010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

To prove a point.
    Rewards need reworked. 🖖

I understand the point, and be careful what you wish for... What if TP simply keeps the same rewards, but spaces them out more equidistant? I don’t mind playing for 350k—400k points to get all thresholds, but would not be willing to do the same if I had to go to 2 million points to get the same current threshold items. And depending upon how the spacing is structured, I can see that potentially hindering the play of all player levels.

Now if TP added rewards on top of the existing structure, I would be in favor of such a move.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...