Home The Bridge
Options

Voyage crew and corresponding skill assignment

[STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
So I have been curious if it makes a difference whether for instance you have powerful engineers in the correct locations or if you threw them in the science slot just to match traits and then put your science crew in your engineering slots to match traits.u0pl790pc050.png
STAR TREK JUNKIES

Comments

• Options
    You get more AM. Only difference. I guess thought, that there might be some Easter Eggs available or coming to voyages regarding the selected crew. I.e. using Enterprises with the correct crew complemnent.
  • Options
    Yes or putting someone like delta flyer paris at helm officer and Uhura at communications officer etc. matching crew to their actual positions.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    My approach when assigning crew to a Voyage is as follows (I will use my current Voyage where ENG and SCI are the gold and silver featured skills as an example):

- I work on the non-featured (i.e., non-silver/gold) skill slots first (i.e., in my example, I work on CMD, SEC, DIP and MED first), and try to fill these with crew who possess both of the featured skills; for example, in the SEC slots I search my crew for anyone who might have the SEC/ENG/SCI combo, regardless of what value they have in SEC (i.e., it could be relatively low). If I can find any crew with the desired combo, then I check to see if any also have a matching trait for an Anti-Matter (AM) bonus. When I find someone that can give me the 2 featured skills and an AM bonus, these then get slotted right away. If I do not find someone who meets all these conditions, I move on to the next non-featured skill and do the same checks, until I have finished this initial pass through all 8 non-featured skill slots.

- After I have filled in as many non-featured skill slots as I can with crew that have the 2 featured skills and also an AM bonus, then I check if any of the 3 skills combo crew I found who had the 2 featured skills but not an AM bonus in the non-featured skilled slots will give me an AM bonus in any of the 4 featured skilled slots (for example, in the 2 ENG or 2 SCI slots). If any of these do not give an AM bonus in the featured skills slots as well, then I go back and put them into any gaps I have remaining in the non-featured skill slots.

- If after the above 2 steps I still have gaps in the non-featured skill slots, then I look to see what options I have for those from my crew who have a relatively high value for 1 of the 2 featured skills (preferably the gold one), and can also give me an AM bonus. Finally for these non-featured skill slots, if I cannot find anyone with a high value for 1 featured skill and an AM bonus, then I fill in these slots with crew who give me the best overall boost to all skills, with at least a decent value for 1 of the 2 featured skills; that is, at this point I will consider what help I can get, or might need, for the 4 non-featured skills when making my selections for these last 'gap slots'.

- Lastly I fill the 4 featured skill slots with whatever are the best choices remaining (i.e., based on skill values and potential AM bonus); there is a good chance that some of my highest value crew for these skills have already been slotted in the non-featured skill slots at this point, and I am okay with this, as my goal is to maximize my value for the featured skills across all 12 slots. By doing the featured skill slots last, you see who cannot fit anywhere else in the Voyage, and needs to use up 1 of these 4 slots that can always be filled with crew that possess (at least 1 of) the featured skill(s).

All this is done because, to the best of my knowledge, going back to the OP's original question, I do not think it matters (at this time) that crew be put into "the correct locations" (using their phrasing).
  • Options
    I follow the above process more or less with a lot less thinking and just putting care in there.

I prioritize skill over matching the traits, 25 am is 1 min voyage after approx 4 hours of travel (read in other forum thread, not my research, I've found it's more or less correct. Ok, 21-22 am per min).

Non priority skills I.e. Non of the two, I ignore top crew in min priority skills at the cost of boosting the two in use for this voyage.

I have crew good enough that if I prioritize this I can get up to 7-9k with the right skill combo. I hate any combo including med.

Above 8-9k in the two skills I can get to an 8 hour voyage do four dilemas and go home.

Following this my longest voyage to date was 8 hours 40 min.
  • Options
    Morn wrote: »
    Above 8-9k in the two skills I can get to an 8 hour voyage do four dilemas and go home.

May I ask you to clarify... That's w/o spending any dil on system failures, correct? I ask because I am trying to figure out the best strategy for prolonging voyages w/o the use of dil. I have found that I must spend at least twice to get into 4* crew territory. I realize it's cheaper than dropping 650 per on 10x packs, just looking to maximize opportunity.
  • Options
    jfm45601 wrote: »

May I ask you to clarify... That's w/o spending any dil on system failures, correct? I ask because I am trying to figure out the best strategy for prolonging voyages w/o the use of dil. I have found that I must spend at least twice to get into 4* crew territory. I realize it's cheaper than dropping 650 per on 10x packs, just looking to maximize opportunity.

My longest Voyage before first dil refill has been 7h 44m. It was a MED gold/SEC silver. My skill stats were:

8169 MED
    7652 SEC
    6646 DIP
    3040 ENG
    2573 CMD
    1451 SCI

Closest before this was 7h 29m, and a few 7h 22m Voyages. It's possible if you're up in the 9k/8k range for gold/silver that you can get to the 8h mark, but the main factor is how many hazards are going to hit on your stats. The above Voyage, I had 63% hit on gold/silver skills which is higher than the average 59-60%. So that gave me more +5 AM passes rather than -30AM fails. The more AM you can keep in the first 4-6 hours, the longer the mission will go when lower stats are a guaranteed fail.

Also, I don't match top crew for skill in the skill slots. I match my best crew that can go in that spot matching the pri/sec skills. Actually, I first go through all 12 slots and see if there are any trait matches for the pri/sec skills. Then I go fill in the blanks with more best crew matching pri/sec skills. Then I go back through and swap crew to balance other skills as needed to adjust for the remaining skills that are low (below 2500) if I can. I try to have my AM at 2700+ because that will keep the mission going for a bit longer which could get me to an extra dilemma or drop a 4*.
  • Options
    [CFOH] Earl Grey[CFOH] Earl Grey ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thank you for the info. I will try to set myself up this way and see how it goes.

*edited for typing error
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some have found this tool useful. Input your scores and starting AM and it'll project the average voyage. I have sedn the estimate as far off as 30 mins from actual (just based on which stats get hazards).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bm0emOz-eNHU-_YCH741vG4DxRltoyS4tWvA6cee3V8/edit?usp=drivesdk
  • Options
    jfm45601 wrote: »

That's without spending dil correct, I need a bit of luck with the skill combo to beat 8 hours, most of the time I'm around 7-7:30.
  • Options
    This is my strategy to voyages and I pretty much average 8hr + before refill, just reached 9hr 17min last night. Never made it to 10hr without refill yet but am still trying. To be honest I have a pretty solid crew lineup though and can fill every slot with an immortal legendary so results will be based on crew. Been hesitant to post this strategy in the past cause why give the competition any help but those players benefiting from this probably don't have the same level of crew and those with better crew are already beating me weekly in events anyways.

First thing while having a voyage open go to each skill, Com, Dip, etc and write down on a spreadsheet the top 6-8 crew you have for each skill, document crew name, primary skill, secondary, and tertiary if applicable, you could keep track of values too but I don't. Keep that as your reference and update it when better crew become available.

Second when making ship selection always go with what will give you the highest AM to start with, if the trait helps push you past an otherwise better ship then go with that otherwise better off just going with your best ship. I often default to a maxed out legendary ship since traits don't always match up for those - this is where having every legendary ship maxed is beneficial in the game for once since more ships means more potential trait matches.

Third when selecting crew first go through your list based on primary skill crew, look at the different secondary / tertiary skills. See what potential slots you can use your 5-6 best crew. Do the same for secondary skill crew, perhaps only 3-4 of the best. Primary skill should be 9-10k with secondary skill 7-8k. Lastly try to round out the other skills so none are below 2k, ideally none below 3k. I don't pay much attention to matching traits unless it fits with the crew I want, better skill numbers are more important to longer voyages. I tend not to push primary too high at the cost of other skills cause honestly it doesn't work better in the long run, tried it before with primary over 13k and the lower skills cost too much AM for it to work. The toughest for me to deal with is Med and Eng. Often my two best Med have to take those slots just to make sure that skill isn't too weak.

To me the optimal run times are 8-20hr voyages. Anything longer seems to reduce the cost to benefit ratio to not make it optimal. Obviously if you don't want to spend dil then hitting 8hr dilemma and recalling sometime after is the best you can hope for. Now for which selections to make on dilemmas there is the page on wiki for that.

Best thing to do for better voyages is get better crew, ideally strong dual skill crew (2 skills 1k+) or three skill that still have a dominant primary skill (1 skill 1k+). Three skill have more flexibility but often I find them too weak to max out primary / secondary skill.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I don't have any legendary immortalized that will get me into the 8 to 9 hour range, but by using suggestions from the above posts, the crew I do have (a good portion of which are super rare immortalized) have already gotten me my longest non-refilled voyage to date, a 7+ hour jaunt. That one also got me one 4* crew from a dilema and an additional one from regular rewards. Pretty sweet!