Home Make It So!
Options

Starbase slots to permanently exchange unwanted crew

Apologies if this has been brought up before.

Many of us have been here before. The voyages that choke up with dreaded Neelix and Wesley variants after eight hours. The merit pull that drops Sore Knee Torres on top of Nurse Paris for the hundredth time today. The gentle rain of Armus or Locutus that again mist up your Gauntlet googles, when all you really wanted was a Guinan or an Angel.

And they get airlocked because you already have more than enough, and your once splendid starship is now little more than a warp enabled Sardine can / Anchovy can.

My idea is create a number of slots at starbases, perhaps in proportion to starbase level, where instead of air locking the crew you absolutely do not need, and will have no further rights to or upon, you get the opportunity to offload them at the fleet starbase, and pass them on to a fleet mate lacking and needing such crew as you want to offload. Slots occupancy for 48hrs or at Fleet Admirals discretion - which would prevent too many common/uncommon/rare crew choking more established fleets.

A kinder way to dispose of your abandoned Neelixes and Weslies, and another splendid reason for being in a fleet.

What thinks the hive mind?

Comments

• Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think there is value in a fleet being able to 'trade' cards which they dont need. I'm sure the only reason DB/TP has avoided this is worry around players gaming the system and potential loss of revenue from players buying packs to get cards which they could trade for.

One can always wish.... I would actually not mind trading a more powerful 5* card which I have 1/5 for a weak 2 stat card which I have more stars on just to immortalise it and put it on ice...

Locking to fleets would definitely add value to being in a fleet and build camaraderie amongst the fleet members and make things more interesting.
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea. The problem is, people have been asking for such a thing as long as I've been playing (3-ish years). But, hey, never say never.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I like your style. You have a real flair/charisma in your presentation, I like it.

Second, I would like to learn more about these Gauntlet googles!

That out of the way, I see at least one fairly major pitfall in this plan, that being this would allow players to effectively pass crew to their alts. All a player would need to do is have their alt join the same fleet as their main and freely transfer crew between accounts. Maybe that wouldn't be the end of the world, but that seems like a risky door to open.

THAT being said, I get what you are saying, I always feel something negative every time I airlock a really good crew I do not need that I know one of my fleetmates could use, I'm just not sure that setting up an excess crew glean is the answer.
  • Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    First, I like your style. You have a real flair/charisma in your presentation, I like it.

Thank you kindly!
    Second, I would like to learn more about these Gauntlet googles!

Sadly those goggles seem to see only Locutus and Armus. I've lost count at how many have dropped for me. And I am aware how many people who have fruitlessly struggled for either/both for literally ages, who have now had their Sunday morning ruined. But as Armus generous as they were, they're Guinan (and now Red Angel) blind after almost 10K Gauntlet rounds. WANT to complete that Collection!

That out of the way, I see at least one fairly major pitfall in this plan, that being this would allow players to effectively pass crew to their alts. All a player would need to do is have their alt join the same fleet as their main and freely transfer crew between accounts. Maybe that wouldn't be the end of the world, but that seems like a risky door to open.

I absolutely agree. It has that weakness and I really can't see a way about that, or to prohibit it, apart from somehow banning or prohibiting alts - which I don't see happening ...
  • Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    mejoyh wrote: »
    I definitely think there is value in a fleet being able to 'trade' cards which they dont need. I'm sure the only reason DB/TP has avoided this is worry around players gaming the system and potential loss of revenue from players buying packs to get cards which they could trade for.

One can always wish.... I would actually not mind trading a more powerful 5* card which I have 1/5 for a weak 2 stat card which I have more stars on just to immortalise it and put it on ice...

Locking to fleets would definitely add value to being in a fleet and build camaraderie amongst the fleet members and make things more interesting.

Sadly, while I see the value and need for a system such as this, I agree with you - there is little merit or incentive to TP in the exercise, potentially improving the customer experience apart, and there are myriad other aspects of gameplay probably as or more deserving.

Nonetheless - we can always hope ...
  • Options
    I agree with your suggestion and also see the possible "hole" that making such a room would open, I have suggested something similar in the past and yes, the "community" answer was more or less like Bylo Band's here. Fortunately enough, I haven't been on the road of ejecting ANY Legendary crew, and I have 2 copies for Locutus, Guinan and The Caretaker, one of them immortalized and the second copy FE but lacking stars. I realize that dropping a common crew for 25 Honor is more than fine, an uncommon crew for 50 Honor is quite good, a Rare crewman for 100 Honor is right too as it is also exchanging a Super Rare crew for 200 Honor, but 550 Honor for a Legendary crewman, which you get once upon a blue moon, seems like really too little... I mean, if anyone has to airlock such a difficult to get card, make it worth of the patience to get it!
  • Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    Maybe a room that uses cards for fuel.
    So instead of holoimiters or what ever you could add unwanted crew.
    Building to a citation awarded like we have with rep rations.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    Roxton wrote: »

I really like that idea as a means to build up rarer legendary cards or fusions like Indulgent Seven / Evolved Janeway.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool idea. Except this is basically what airlocking for honor does now. So the only reason to use the room is if the fleet could do it more efficiently. And that risks a further divide between top fleets and other fleets. Top fleets would be generating citations quickly and further pull away from other fleets.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have advocated for a fleet exchange for a while. I was hoping to include schematics and items as well.
    We've all had that newer player in our fleet struggling to level a ship or needing a certain crew what we have a few thousand spare schematics for or are on the verge of airlocking. There could be a currency exchange mechanism too. There seems to be a set honor-credits-merits-dilithium rate they could use for the various rarities to handle price gouging.
    When you have plenty of replicator rations, excess items and schematics aren't worth much. Need a 2* outfit for L'Rell? For x amount, you can have it. Maybe all members could have a number of sale slots to put them in. You would have to pull it back in your quarters of inventory to dispose of it another way, but it would be separate from normal quarters and inventory count.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Let's face it. They are never gonna let us enjoy a crew exchange/shop as it is something that some players would manipulate and take advantage of. Maybe a dil cost with exchanges etc might work but I'm not gonna let it spoil my enjoyment of the game.
  • Options
    Oomox wrote: »

Many of us have been here before. The voyages that choke up with dreaded Neelix and Wesley variants after eight hours. The merit pull that drops Sore Knee Torres on top of Nurse Paris for the hundredth time today. The gentle rain of Armus or Locutus that again mist up your Gauntlet googles, when all you really wanted was a Guinan or an Angel.

And they get airlocked because you already have more than enough, and your once splendid starship is now little more than a warp enabled Sardine can / Anchovy can.

My idea is create a number of slots at starbases, perhaps in proportion to starbase level, where instead of air locking the crew you absolutely do not need, and will have no further rights to or upon, you get the opportunity to offload them at the fleet starbase, and pass them on to a fleet mate lacking and needing such crew as you want to offload. Slots occupancy for 48hrs or at Fleet Admirals discretion - which would prevent too many common/uncommon/rare crew choking more established fleets.

A kinder way to dispose of your abandoned Neelixes and Weslies, and another splendid reason for being in a fleet.

Oomox wrote: »

• Options
    0c33v5rh6bhp.jpeg

Based on an phone game that shut down because of scam traders.
    • fleet trade
    • shop viewable on profile. Friend/gauntlet/universal chat shop owners
    -and we know in-game chat sux
  • Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Cool idea. Except this is basically what airlocking for honor does now. So the only reason to use the room is if the fleet could do it more efficiently. And that risks a further divide between top fleets and other fleets. Top fleets would be generating citations quickly and further pull away from other fleets.

Correct but they did it for rep rations so why not.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Correct but they did it for rep rations so why not.

They added rep rations as a way to let fleets continue to donate after finishing everything else. It wasn't designed to be useful, just to allow for a wash so someone could continue to donate to the starbase and earn chrons.

People here aren't asking for a way to keep earning chrons for donations, or a way to only earn back the honor they donate, they want to earn extra honor.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Most ideas people pitch have a specific end goal. I whole heartedly would also like an end result of a specific trade or cash in for useful cite. Given the choice, I would pick that route.

However, I think we need to remember this is essentially a gambling game. Being able to choose or get a useful on all crew reward is unlikely. Direct trade is unlikely.

In the spirit of the game it may get more Dev attention if the result is uncertain. A room that cashes out a 2* or 3* portal drop. I would prefer the cite, but a portal drop may fit better into the game. As has already been pointed out, cashing cards for honour and honour for cites is probably not a mechanism they would circumvent.

What if it was a sort of fleet campaign donation challenge? Rather than just any card, it was a specific 1* or 2* crew for the week/month? The cards for honour mechanism wouldn't be affected much. But it could be a route for releasing new or old cards/schematics. Temporary buffs. Avatars. Things only available from a starbase.
  • Options
    I think that the potential exploits of a trading feature could be mostly avoided by adding specific limitations to it.
    But as Exanimus mentioned there is a strong gambling component in this game, so what couldn't be avoided is the fact that trading would probably decrease pack sales and since many players spend their money on packs or crew LTOs, that would mean less money for TP. I'm not sure if adding a dilithium cost to the feature would be enough to balance that out.

I'd love to see a trading feature or a new way to obtain crew, but it's hard to imagine that they would implement it for all the crew that exists in the game or that is in the portal. It could maybe work for a specific rotating card (the fleet campaign Exanimus mentioned) or for decrepit legendaries only.

But even then, it would require resources to implement, while not getting people to spend money. So unless there's a way to implement a trading feature that would also result in some kind of purchases, I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    I think that the potential exploits of a trading feature could be mostly avoided by adding specific limitations to it.
    But as Exanimus mentioned there is a strong gambling component in this game, so what couldn't be avoided is the fact that trading would probably decrease pack sales and since many players spend their money on packs or crew LTOs, that would mean less money for TP. I'm not sure if adding a dilithium cost to the feature would be enough to balance that out.

I'd love to see a trading feature or a new way to obtain crew, but it's hard to imagine that they would implement it for all the crew that exists in the game or that is in the portal. It could maybe work for a specific rotating card (the fleet campaign Exanimus mentioned) or for decrepit legendaries only.

But even then, it would require resources to implement, while not getting people to spend money. So unless there's a way to implement a trading feature that would also result in some kind of purchases, I don't see it happening.

I agree - some quid pro quo is probably required to get WRTP on-board. Perhaps a marginal dilithium honour or merit cost system payable by the successful recipient of the new crew. Call it "Hospitality bill" run up by the crew at the starbase concerned!