Home Make It So!
Options

New mini event suggestion - squad skirmish

I make this suggestion as I think like many players approaching a few years in this game, I feel that the game needs spicing up to keep up the interest of longer term players.

In making this contribution as an introduction to the topic of mini events, I have no idea how difficult it would be to put in place but I guess as it is already largely constructed about existing game infrastructure, it may not require too much additional coding to effect.

The idea is based about the existing skirmish model, and takes place within individual fleets, to start. Effectively, squads would compete against other squads in the same fleet in individual player-on-player rounds, mirroring each round of a skirmish. Ship and crew choices down to the individual players.

What thinks the hive mind?

Comments

• Options
    RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    TBH I hate the idea of inter squad skirmish.
    There are enough skirmish and space battles in game already.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Options
    As an Admiral, I think this is not a good idea. The purpose of the fleets is to increase team work. Fighting within the fleet would not be helpful to that.
  • Options
    I agree, the game needs some spicing up.
    What about a mid week Expedition Event? Those who don’t like them can sit out while waiting for the regular weekend events.
  • Options
    Didn’t they say there was supposed to be another mini event coming up ‘soon’ ??!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    As an Admiral, I think this is not a good idea. The purpose of the fleets is to increase team work. Fighting within the fleet would not be helpful to that.

It need not be entirely confrontational - think of it as a chance to explore and illustrate different strategies, not to trample a fellow fleet member into the ground.
  • Options
    Oomox, I disagree. A competition between Fleets yes, withing a fleet no.
  • Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    Oomox, I disagree. A competition between Fleets yes, withing a fleet no.

We'll have to agree to differ - I see no harm at all with a spirited within fleet joust every couple of months.

However, your suggestion for such jousts between fleets is a very good one, and one I would support enthusiastically.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's already fleets who swap squad members in and out of squads, just to boost the score of that one squad. I watched one do this in the last skirmish event, where they placed 2nd.

Unless they lock squads to not allow member swaps, i don't see this as a possibility. They were supposed to increase squad rewards in events 2-3 years ago, but this never came to fruition due to this tactic. One group of people ruined something everyone else.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our fleets swaps squad members around too, for exactly the opposite reason. It's to avoid any one squad developing an unfair advantage and to make sure everyone gets a chance to interact with everyone else. Not everything is done for nefarious reasons.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Our fleets swaps squad members around too, for exactly the opposite reason. It's to avoid any one squad developing an unfair advantage and to make sure everyone gets a chance to interact with everyone else. Not everything is done for nefarious reasons.

Not referring to any squad arrangement before/after events. We've done that since day one. I was referring to the fleets that will deliberately move people in and out of their "top" squad, in the middle of an event, to artificially inflate the score of that squad.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!