Looks like a 5*.

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    vcx8h1cvgpm2.jpeg
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI: the pack will be delayed a bit!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he had a cigarette, wonder if you could get away with that now.
  • Options
    Some mixture of CMD/DIP/SEC, it looks like. Wouldn't take much for him to be the #1 SEC variant for Q—the incumbent is Judge Q.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly cigarette ads are everywhere in modern tv now. Though in this instance he was simply using it as a prop to look like the soldiers of the time that had been given free cigarettes by the tobacco companies to get them addicted.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    FYI: the pack will be delayed a bit!

I thought I just was overlooking it.

There are two 490 Packs though y'all!!!!!

🖖🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options

Is that not a cigarette?

• Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is but last time I heard I thought you weren’t supposed to show people smoking.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    What era is he supposed to be from? A little hard to see all the medals/ribbons in the picture above, but most of them look like they easily could have been concurrent with when the episode was aired. Nothing I can see that would easily tie him to another era like a WW2 rainbow victory medal.

An interesting note, though, is that I’m pretty sure I see a Good Conduct ribbon, which is only given to enlisted personnel, not officers. So despite the fact that Q’s wearing an officer’s (captain’s) uniform, his ribbons tell us he was enlisted before he became an officer. Not really in line with Q’s personality!

I’ve never seen 3 badges on a uniform, though, like Q has in this picture. Most I’ve seen is rifle and pistol. Not sure what the third one is.
  • Options
    Wow, Quinn is in the pack. Glad I held off on dropping some citations from the honor sale on mine. I wish they'd clarify whether he'll eventually be added to the portal.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    What era is he supposed to be from? A little hard to see all the medals/ribbons in the picture above, but most of them look like they easily could have been concurrent with when the episode was aired. Nothing I can see that would easily tie him to another era like a WW2 rainbow victory medal.

An interesting note, though, is that I’m pretty sure I see a Good Conduct ribbon, which is only given to enlisted personnel, not officers. So despite the fact that Q’s wearing an officer’s (captain’s) uniform, his ribbons tell us he was enlisted before he became an officer. Not really in line with Q’s personality!

I’ve never seen 3 badges on a uniform, though, like Q has in this picture. Most I’ve seen is rifle and pistol. Not sure what the third one is.

The round one could be a Silver Division Competition Badge. Only one I saw that is the right shape. Can't read the badge when I pinch zoom the pic of Q.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#Marksmanship_Badges

EDIT: Found an image online I could zoom better. It's a Divisional Rifle Competition Silver Badge......

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Q talks about putting an end to the commies, so it's likely cold war era.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭

The round one could be a Silver Division Competition Badge. Only one I saw that is the right shape. Can't read the badge when I pinch zoom the pic of Q.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#Marksmanship_Badges

EDIT: Found an image online I could zoom better. It's a Divisional Rifle Competition Silver Badge......

Awesome for finding that! Neat tidbit.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The ribbons, the best my old eyes can compare colors are, top row left to right, to bottom row left to right facing him are:

Silver Star/Legion of Merit/Navy & Marine Corps Medal
    Bronze Star/Air Medal/Joint Services Commendation Medal
    Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal/Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal/Purple Heart
    Marine Corps Good Conduct/Navy Unit Commendation/Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Department_of_the_Navy

https://officialmilitaryribbons.com/

https://www.usamm.com/pages/military-medals-and-ribbons-precedence-chart

I may have spent a few minutes down a rabbit hole.....

• Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some mixture of CMD/DIP/SEC, it looks like. Wouldn't take much for him to be the #1 SEC variant for Q—the incumbent is Judge Q.

Sadly, Judge Q continues to reign. Marine's stats are fine, but I'd say this was a missed opportunity for a better SEC variant. The speech is nice though (see: Starfleet Communications).
  • Options

Sadly, Judge Q continues to reign. Marine's stats are fine, but I'd say this was a missed opportunity for a better SEC variant. The speech is nice though (see: Starfleet Communications).

That was so cool of him!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Q talks about putting an end to the commies, so it's likely cold war era.

Still plenty of commies today. Could be any time. But I'd bet they were going for the 80's.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭

The ribbons, the best my old eyes can compare colors are, top row left to right, to bottom row left to right facing him are:

Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal/Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal/Purple Heart

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Department_of_the_Navy

I pulled up Encounter at Farpoint and paused it.
    The ribbon rack is "I Need a Drink" bad. A Bronze Star and Purple Heart are side by side in order.
    1) I agree with you on the top row and it would be right.
    2) Your ID for the second row looks right, but the Purple Heart should be in the middle of this row and would bump the Joint Service to first in row three.
    3) I agree with one and three for this row, but the middle looks more like an Armed Forces Service Medal. This row should be the Joint Forces CM, N&ND CmM, and the unit Commendation.
    4) ID's on the first two are right. Good Conduct Medals are open to all ranks. General Puller was awarded it twice. Last one is the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal. It's the only medal with that date scroll device on it. Should be the GCM, the AFSM, and the RoV Campaign.

Less of a rabbit hole for me.
    One, I collect militaria, so the right reference book was six inches from my head...and I just realized I used the collector shorthand. Sorry for that, but it is easy enough to decipher.
    Two, my dad was USAF- Vietnam. I've seen a lot of ribbon racks from that era...grunts, squids, jarheads, flyboys (literally in Dad's case)...most have that last one down there somewhere, unless they stayed in and picked up Gulf era hardware before they got out.
    Part of me wants this crew badly, but I'm out of slots and overflowing already.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options

I pulled up Encounter at Farpoint and paused it.
    The ribbon rack is "I Need a Drink" bad. A Bronze Star and Purple Heart are side by side in order.
    1) I agree with you on the top row and it would be right.
    2) Your ID for the second row looks right, but the Purple Heart should be in the middle of this row and would bump the Joint Service to first in row three.
    3) I agree with one and three for this row, but the middle looks more like an Armed Forces Service Medal. This row should be the Joint Forces CM, N&ND CmM, and the unit Commendation.
    4) ID's on the first two are right. Good Conduct Medals are open to all ranks. General Puller was awarded it twice. Last one is the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal. It's the only medal with that date scroll device on it. Should be the GCM, the AFSM, and the RoV Campaign.

Less of a rabbit hole for me.
    One, I collect militaria, so the right reference book was six inches from my head...and I just realized I used the collector shorthand. Sorry for that, but it is easy enough to decipher.
    Two, my dad was USAF- Vietnam. I've seen a lot of ribbon racks from that era...grunts, squids, jarheads, flyboys (literally in Dad's case)...most have that last one down there somewhere, unless they stayed in and picked up Gulf era hardware before they got out.
    Part of me wants this crew badly, but I'm out of slots and overflowing already.

Thanx. Like I said, I have trouble matching colors. To my eyes, that last ribbon looks like each of the three stripes is made of three smaller sub-stripes. Which what threw me when I zoomed.

sdv48pi00mby.png
    hzu9q61w2yj3.pngd5r7i7xmbqjr.png
  • Options
    Sorry, you were right on all counts. Very nice picture. CBSAA paused on a Kindle is not good.
    The costumer is still an idiot.
    *He has an APCM with four stars (just crooked enough to appear to be the scroll- his DI would not be pleased) without the rainbow bordered WW2 Victory Medal that went with it anywhere in sight.
    *Officers wear matching bright insignia on that uniform and subdued (or none) in the field. He should have either subdued captain's bars or, more likely, the lovely silver and gilt Eagle-Globe-and-Anchors for officers on both collar and garrison cap.
    *The Joint Service Commendation Medal wasn't authorized until January of 1963, like most of the Joint/DiD awards.
    *How would a Marine that served in WW2 still be just a captain no less than eighteen years later? There would have to be the WW2 Victory Medal there somewhere and probably ones for Korean service, either during the war or garrisoning the DMZ. Something dating from Vietnam would probably be there too.
    * Most officers take advantage of the allowed variance in ribbon arrangement, if the lapel covers them, and use an asymmetrical rack.
    * There is no Overseas Service Ribbon in there or National Defense Service Medal.
    I have seen worse racks. I own a worse rack, in fact, bought cheaply just to study its faults. It combines three services and spans forty years and is mounted on a rack made of two smaller racks joined with JB Weld and strips cut from a Domino's gift card.
    That rack isn't as bad as the above, but someone needs to re-read the regs.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Sorry, you were right on all counts. Very nice picture. CBSAA paused on a Kindle is not good.
    The costumer is still an idiot.
    *He has an APCM with four stars (just crooked enough to appear to be the scroll- his DI would not be pleased) without the rainbow bordered WW2 Victory Medal that went with it anywhere in sight.
    *Officers wear matching bright insignia on that uniform and subdued (or none) in the field. He should have either subdued captain's bars or, more likely, the lovely silver and gilt Eagle-Globe-and-Anchors for officers on both collar and garrison cap.
    *The Joint Service Commendation Medal wasn't authorized until January of 1963, like most of the Joint/DiD awards.
    *How would a Marine that served in WW2 still be just a captain no less than eighteen years later? There would have to be the WW2 Victory Medal there somewhere and probably ones for Korean service, either during the war or garrisoning the DMZ. Something dating from Vietnam would probably be there too.
    * Most officers take advantage of the allowed variance in ribbon arrangement, if the lapel covers them, and use an asymmetrical rack.
    * There is no Overseas Service Ribbon in there or National Defense Service Medal.
    I have seen worse racks. I own a worse rack, in fact, bought cheaply just to study its faults. It combines three services and spans forty years and is mounted on a rack made of two smaller racks joined with JB Weld and strips cut from a Domino's gift card.
    That rack isn't as bad as the above, but someone needs to re-read the regs.

I wonder if maybe the costumer or prop person {whoever would be responsible for the ribbons and such} knew a little and wanted him to be from the Nam and then Cold War Era. Knew what a Viet Nam ribbon looked liked, but couldn't get ahold on one within the production schedule timetable, and did their best to"fake" one? Having no idea that thirty years later, we could double check them in 4k HD!!!!!

I have stated before that I like it when we get new Crew with awesome colorful costuming. One thing I thought would be cool would be a shadow box set up with a nice assortment of ribbons with cool color combos! Never made one for the simple reason I didn't earn any. Felt too much like playing stolen honor to me.

Your father's service is greatly appreciated!!!!!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

• Options
    It is a running joke that Hollywood is terrible with military uniforms. One of the forums I belong to has a thread of bad uniforms from tv and movies. Sadly, military ribbons are cheap and easy to get, so getting it wrong is a bit annoying.
    I love any of the crew in period uniforms. I have RAF O'Brien and Bashir and Tuskegee Mayweather. Have both alien Nazis. Need Colonel Q.
    I have built models of all sorts since I was seven and collected militaria nearly as long. I picked the ribbon bar out of a flea market junk box along with five more for $5 that very first summer.
    I bought a British War Medal from WW1 to a Highlander, missing its ribbon, at an auction for just a fraction over the value it had as scrap silver. I hate thinking about why all the other bidders quit there.
    I practice "salvage collecting", besides my normal collection, where I buy stuff cheap to keep it out of the trash or melt pot. A couple dealers that know me have even given me things that no one else wanted.
    One guy threw in a nice Cold War era Czech Army officer's visor cap, when I bought a 1950's US Army officer's cap from him. It was nearly the end of the two day show and he waved me back as I walked on and handed it to me. I was the only person who'd even looked at it.
    Another guy that I buy from at the same show every year has given me stuff a couple times. Sometimes I know it, "You like ribbon racks. Here." Sometimes, he just sticks it in my bag and I find it when I get home.
    I never served. I have a sideways leg and an explosive temper. You could always assemble a type collection as a sort of memorial to veteran's you know.
    Dad will be 80 on Monday. Besides him, all in Mom's side, I had one great uncle in Korea (Grandpa's little half-brother) and two in WW2- an MP and a tail gunner (Grandpa's younger full brothers). Granny's uncle was a Japanese prisoner in the Philippines. He'd settled there after serving in the Spanish-American War.
    His grandfather, my 3x great-grandfather died during the Civil War. He left his pregnant wife and four kids in Ohio. He's buried in St. Louis at the Barracks Cemetery. Have a sharpshooter also from the ACW on Grandpa's side. There was a bounty on him and he was left a cripple when they didn't manage to kill him by shooting him in the back. There a bunch on that side, North and South, from Kentucky.
    There's a second cousin, six times removed, buried at Little Big Horn- Benjamin Franklin Wells the Third....and last. The next Custer movie you see where a guy is shot from his horse in the river after it spooks and goes the wrong way, you now know is Ben- Farrier, Company G, Seventh Cavalry.
    The earliest one I know of is John Craig (Granny's side again). He was a Captain in the 3rd New Jersey Cavalry during the Revolution. Lots of soldiers in my family tree.
  • Options
    It is a running joke that Hollywood is terrible with military uniforms. One of the forums I belong to has a thread of bad uniforms from tv and movies. Sadly, military ribbons are cheap and easy to get, so getting it wrong is a bit annoying.
    I love any of the crew in period uniforms. I have RAF O'Brien and Bashir and Tuskegee Mayweather. Have both alien Nazis. Need Colonel Q.
    I have built models of all sorts since I was seven and collected militaria nearly as long. I picked the ribbon bar out of a flea market junk box along with five more for $5 that very first summer.
    I bought a British War Medal from WW1 to a Highlander, missing its ribbon, at an auction for just a fraction over the value it had as scrap silver. I hate thinking about why all the other bidders quit there.
    I practice "salvage collecting", besides my normal collection, where I buy stuff cheap to keep it out of the trash or melt pot. A couple dealers that know me have even given me things that no one else wanted.
    One guy threw in a nice Cold War era Czech Army officer's visor cap, when I bought a 1950's US Army officer's cap from him. It was nearly the end of the two day show and he waved me back as I walked on and handed it to me. I was the only person who'd even looked at it.
    Another guy that I buy from at the same show every year has given me stuff a couple times. Sometimes I know it, "You like ribbon racks. Here." Sometimes, he just sticks it in my bag and I find it when I get home.
    I never served. I have a sideways leg and an explosive temper. You could always assemble a type collection as a sort of memorial to veteran's you know.
    Dad will be 80 on Monday. Besides him, all in Mom's side, I had one great uncle in Korea (Grandpa's little half-brother) and two in WW2- an MP and a tail gunner (Grandpa's younger full brothers). Granny's uncle was a Japanese prisoner in the Philippines. He'd settled there after serving in the Spanish-American War.
    His grandfather, my 3x great-grandfather died during the Civil War. He left his pregnant wife and four kids in Ohio. He's buried in St. Louis at the Barracks Cemetery. Have a sharpshooter also from the ACW on Grandpa's side. There was a bounty on him and he was left a cripple when they didn't manage to kill him by shooting him in the back. There a bunch on that side, North and South, from Kentucky.
    There's a second cousin, six times removed, buried at Little Big Horn- Benjamin Franklin Wells the Third....and last. The next Custer movie you see where a guy is shot from his horse in the river after it spooks and goes the wrong way, you now know is Ben- Farrier, Company G, Seventh Cavalry.
    The earliest one I know of is John Craig (Granny's side again). He was a Captain in the 3rd New Jersey Cavalry during the Revolution. Lots of soldiers in my family tree.

All of that is awesome stuff!!!!! I would Awesome for every sentence if we could!!!!! My mom's dad was in the Navy in the South Pacific during World War Two. He only ever told her two times about his time in the Navy.
  • Options
    Some guys don't really talk about it. I depends on how they take it.
    My dad has pictures up of him and his buddies, his planes, the base, etc. I can remember him lifting me up to see some better on a visit when I was six or so. My fifth model kit, fourth plane, was an F-4 Phantom in the tri-color Southwest Asia scheme. That is a beast to do, but, at almost 8 with brush and little bottles from a paint set, it was a nightmare.
    Grandpa's youngest full brother was the tail gunner and he refused to talk about it and jumped at everything for months when he got back. I have been trying for years to find out which bomb squadron he belonged to and when from records, so I can build a plane from his squadron.
    The Navy from that time and place created a lot of nervous guys. Guys on the carriers and battleships knew they were the big targets. Cruisers took the brunt of the surface battle damage. Destroyers hunted things they couldn't see with light armor plate and low chances of getting out of you were below decks. Simply the phrase "Iron Bottom Sound" tells you enough.
    If you know anything about his service, you can find out more. There are searchable databases that really help. Between collecting militaria and doing genealogy, I know quite a bit about searches.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Some guys don't really talk about it. I depends on how they take it.
    My dad has pictures up of him and his buddies, his planes, the base, etc. I can remember him lifting me up to see some better on a visit when I was six or so. My fifth model kit, fourth plane, was an F-4 Phantom in the tri-color Southwest Asia scheme. That is a beast to do, but, at almost 8 with brush and little bottles from a paint set, it was a nightmare.
    Grandpa's youngest full brother was the tail gunner and he refused to talk about it and jumped at everything for months when he got back. I have been trying for years to find out which bomb squadron he belonged to and when from records, so I can build a plane from his squadron.
    The Navy from that time and place created a lot of nervous guys. Guys on the carriers and battleships knew they were the big targets. Cruisers took the brunt of the surface battle damage. Destroyers hunted things they couldn't see with light armor plate and low chances of getting out of you were below decks. Simply the phrase "Iron Bottom Sound" tells you enough.
    If you know anything about his service, you can find out more. There are searchable databases that really help. Between collecting militaria and doing genealogy, I know quite a bit about searches.

I'll have to do some research. The two things he told mom about were that his ship "delivered mail to other ship's" and that they had a POC crewman disappear one night in the middle of the ocean, mysteriously. With how humble and modest Pappy Jack was, the mail thing could have been very underplayed, on what they actually did. He was also brutally, habitually honest most of the time, though. When I read Robert Heinlein, and Lazarus Long is describing his maternal grandfather, I clearly 0icture Pappy Jack in my head. Right down to the "ten feet tall" thing. Because he was definitely larger than life to me at 6 years old!!!!!

I just remembered one of his awards from his military records {I guess his WWII version of a 214?} was the Philippines Liberation Medal, IIRC.

• Options
    Delivering "pony" to other ships really was a big thing. It still is. I read a hilarious story about a helo pilot getting permission to land on a very busy flight deck with the promise of mail. He was then asked to return an excess supply of milk to the stores ship in the taskforce. He was asked how much he could take and he used the loading information for aviation gas, since he didn't know the weight of milk. They loaded him up and he dropped like a stone off the deck and he had to redline it to keep from hitting the water. Avgas is about six pounds to the gallon. Milk is closer to ten. He was almost double the limit!
    You might enjoy this. https://abcnews.go.com/US/meet-mailman-delivered-good-news-world-war-ii/story?id=50446208
    Pappy Jack would have been on one of the big cargo transports that were attached to the various task forces. Think of them as floating pack mules. They carried the supplies that resupplied all the other ships.