Home The Bridge

Language, Please.

Hi, I’m Ramza or Ryoma or something.
I forgot my forum name.

Doesn’t matter, I’ve been around since Launch Day.

But I’m also one of those people who wishes TP (nee DB) would DoBetter.
Yes, we’re celebrating Star Trek, but I’m going to have to bring something up.

b3fy04i48wp0.jpeg
evn17273ygde.jpeg

Do you see it?
The subtle difference in language?

‘Complete Shuttle Missions’ vs. ‘Start Faction Missions’.

Gee whiz, what could I ever complain about?

The problem is that it’s mechanically different in the game (duh).

Technically, ‘Start’ is easier than ‘Complete’, since in theory you can start 70 shuttles and get the achievement in 5 minutes.

But because of that, the expectations of the event is totally different.
Please, please be more careful with accuracy of the language in your announcements TP.

Even a half-not playing corpse pays attention when free things fall from the sky.

Your forever Stockholm syndrome’d friend who had 30 shuttles ready to complete,

Ryomza

Comments

• Another thing I noticed, but needs confirmation.

It looks like the 99 Level Ups achievement is NOT leveling up 99 times, like the daily 10 levels one.

It looks like the achievement is leveling up ONE character to 99.

Can someone confirm this too?
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity - while your argument stands valid - why did you start 30 shuttles upfront? That is a lot of wasted tokens when we will have a Faction event this weekend anyway which makes the achievement a walk in the park.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Just out of curiosity - while your argument stands valid - why did you start 30 shuttles upfront? That is a lot of wasted tokens when we will have a Faction event this weekend anyway which makes the achievement a walk in the park.

I didn’t start them today. I was working on tanking a faction, so I just left a bunch of shuttles unclaimed since the announcement.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity - while your argument stands valid - why did you start 30 shuttles upfront? That is a lot of wasted tokens when we will have a Faction event this weekend anyway which makes the achievement a walk in the park.

I didn’t start them today. I was working on tanking a faction, so I just left a bunch of shuttles unclaimed since the announcement.

Ah I see! That made sense.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.

It looks like the 99 Level Ups achievement is NOT leveling up 99 times, like the daily 10 levels one.

It is not leveling one character to 99. I have split leveling between two cards and it just counts the number of levels.

vgpweko25ho2.jpeg
  • eXo | RamzaeXo | Ramza ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Are you sure one isn’t at 69?
    I just did my Maquis Tuvok from 80 to 99 and got the achievement.

Though I was futzing around with other characters to level up, none of them got up to 80 before I started work on my Lv80 Tuvok.

I just find it incredibly unlikely that I some how wandered to exactly 80 levels, then finished the last 19 on a card that was already at level 80.

But I may have gotten lucky too, so just wanted to see how it’s going :)
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took GoE Troi from 80 to 100 and Fury Kes from 8 to 90, for a total of 102 levels applied, and completed all three levels of the achievement.
  • I leveled up ten different crew x 10 and got the achievement.
  • Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled up ten different crew x 10 and got the achievement.

I did the achievement this way also.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I noticed, but needs confirmation.

Nope. I finished it by Leveling Admiral Kirk and Android Kirk to 50+.......
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • I also can confirm that I leveled 5 different crew to get the achievement.

I am really scratching my brain on the Arena though. Not sure why we should have to spend 450 Dilithium to complete that achievement? (Yes, a bargain, but kind of thwarts the concept of "giveaway")

I’m with you there. I’m debating whether I want to bank the dilithium for the eventual crew slot sale (I’m F2P) or spend it to get the 10 pull that will most certainly for me at this point result in honor or useless schematics. I’m leaning toward the former.
  • I also can confirm that I leveled 5 different crew to get the achievement.

I am really scratching my brain on the Arena though. Not sure why we should have to spend 450 Dilithium to complete that achievement? (Yes, a bargain, but kind of thwarts the concept of "giveaway")

They probably wanted to do something not everyone can easily achieve. But you are right about the "giveaway"
    Capt_Locutus
    FORGET IT! Resistance IS futile!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also can confirm that I leveled 5 different crew to get the achievement.

They probably wanted to do something not everyone can easily achieve. But you are right about the "giveaway"

It's a little weird how everything else was slightly harder than daily targets, and this one was more than twice daily target and requires saved tickets or DIL to reach it.

I pointed that out, and got roasted. Apparently my terminology was "technically" wrong. Since you can give them back some of the Dilithium you get from the celebration, to pay the piper......

Yes that's correct I've had my reward levelled up a 1* crewmember and immortalised them
  • AviTrek wrote: »

It's a little weird how everything else was slightly harder than daily targets, and this one was more than twice daily target and requires saved tickets or DIL to reach it.

Now to be completely fair, the Level Up Crew and Complete Away-team Missions achievements are quite a bit more work than normal daily targets over 7 days, but neither should require spending dilithium...

But it was suggested to me that these kinds of observations are unappreciative and ungrateful since TP/WRG is essential giving us "free" stuff. So while I understand that we will receive more than enough dilithium to offset this cost to purchase 30 more arena tickets, I just think the optics are not great. If this Complete Arena Battles achievement requirement was maxed at just 70 arena battles, but rewards were reduced, this would look better.
  • Wait so if the shuttle mission fails it doesn’t count towards the achievement?
    edited September 2020
    Wait so if the shuttle mission fails it doesn’t count towards the achievement?

It should. It still "Completed". Let me check. Mine should be back. And I always have Fails......

EDIT: The Achievement is for STARTING the Shuttles. Has nothing to do with how they end up.

They do count if they fail.

They count as soon as you send them out. I just looked before and after sending a wave......

They count as soon as you send them out. I just looked before and after sending a wave......

Even better.
  • If temporary achievements are based on usual daily missions, both (and any in-game messages) should use the same language to reduce confusion. However, there can still be some issues even with using the existing language, as some people wondered how the "99 level ups" (my wording) worked/whether it required raising a single character from 1 to 100 even though it uses the exact same "Level Up A Crew Member" as the daily mission that requires 10 (and can be spread out among multiple characters, just as the temporary achievement can).

The arena temporary achievement has been addressed in several threads and just seems to be a difference in philosophy that is better addressed in those threads/doesn't really involve language.