Home The Bridge

This is the time...

mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
After 3 years playing STT, guess its finally time for me to call it a day on STT. I just wanted to say it was great to have virtually met and conversed with everyone on the forum.

I've just found that my recent experiences playing the game has more often resulted in frustration, annoyance and anger more than being challenging which is not what I want when playing something I should be enjoying. I think the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was when I pulled Jhamel and Hernandez on the recap pulls. What should have been a happy moment (2 legendary cards in 7 pulls!) turned to frustration (bordering on mild anger) as now I'm forced to freeze 2 other legendary cards which were actually useful to make space for my army of 1/5 cards. I hate to admit it but this actually caused me a sleepless night... and yes... I know I can just airlock them but STT is built on the premise of being a virtual CCG.

It's strange how I should feel angry when getting new cards in a virtual CCG. I cant say I ever had this feeling when I played Magic or the original Star Trek CCG. Disappointed at not getting a card I wanted when opening packs but definitely not angry getting a rare card I didnt need....

So I'll be playing out the rest of this campaign to finish off Keiko and then I bid everyone a fond farewell :)

Comments

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have had problems on my second account with crew space. My solution was to freeze all my immortalized crew except those I needed for mega.

It certainly is frustrating, but treating the game as CCG is the reason I choose the freezing rather than airlocking. I also froze my 3* Kang and O'Brein. This emptied my ship for Commander Division. I also only used the 4* crew I had for the Mega as my crew in the Captain Division. I also had to rework my Admiral Division ship to use the crew I had available.

My main account I had some problems with crew space when I accidentally airlocked a crew that was not immortalized, and with all the crew I had from mega packs, I did not make the time limit for re-enlisting. Customer Support helped me out next day I had the crew back.

I do not know if above helps you. Wish you the best and a better gaming experience in future games.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'm right there with you @mejoyh. I tried pulling back earlier this year and it has generally worked, but I'm just not motivated by the game anymore. As soon as this campaign is done, I think it's probably time to call it a day.
  • I don't play much AT ALL. It brings little joy. I got lucky and Red Antenna dropped in the first 36 hours.

I would probably be less annoyed by it if I had that kind of luck :sweat_smile:
    Since the Red Nightmare was added I haven't had a single legendary drop from the gauntlet (and I got exactly one useful reward, an equipment item, today). This is despite the fact that for at least one month and a half I did my best to get long win streaks at every gauntlet (we're talking 50+) and ranked in the top 10 consistently. I still rank in the top 10 more often than not, because I've been around for more than 3 years and I happen to have almost all good gauntleteers.
    However, given that I go to sleep about 3 hours before reset, top 10 means rank 6-10 for me usually, so just three rewards.

I also have a certain history of bad gauntlet luck, given that I tried really hard to win the Caretaker when he was featured crew and while people on here were complaining about the fact that they were airlocking their dupes and kept getting new copies out of rank 70 or so, I only had one copy of Guinan until the moment they made the changes to drop rates last year. Which was nice (it gave me about one legendary a month for a year or so, then my luck ended and they stopped dropping this spring).

Maybe I shouldn't complain, as I have all other gauntlet exclusives FF (and three of them duped) but I really really dislike the gauntlet and the fact that there are gauntlet exclusive cards subject to pure RNG pointlessness. Every other card either gets added to the portal or you can save up/work towards obtaining them (fuse cards, honor hall, Lucille Davenport). If I want the Red Angel I'm forced to play this pointless endless slot game several times a day, every day, potentially without ever obtaining her.
    I don't know how to fix gauntlet short of a major, major overhaul.

That's one thing I strongly agree with.

I'd be happy enough if they added different ending times for it (so at least I could have some fun with my crew and reach rank 1 when I want to) and, most importantly, if they made gauntlet exclusives available elsewhere. In the honor hall, through more achievement tiers, I don't care what.

• I feel myself getting close to the same sentiment but for a different reason. Gauntlet. I'm not upset that gauntlet crew don't rain down in floods, but entering a gauntlet where everyone has the new Red Angel and she's at 25% or higher is extremely frustrating. I've finished anywhere in the top 25 since her release and have nothing to show for it, not even another gauntlet crew! Haven't had any of them drop in over a year! And don't even get me started on Surok! Seriously, is he designed to be 25% for every gauntlet??

Ok, fine, all that aside is just frustrating. I can deal with frustrating. What gets me borderline angry are the skewed chances. How am I going up against a single skill target with 5% and my 2 skill 25% or 45% crew fails the majority of the time? Occasionally, fine, odds are what they are. But to lose most of the battles, fail to get a 6 streak unless I burn hundreds of merits, still finish in the top 10 and get nothing more than trainers or chrons is ridiculous. My Gauntlet Vaults don't give me anything higher than a 3* item anymore.

So yeah. Ready to give up on that broken feature. :)

@ShadowPresence you will get it, I told this to a few in this thread and strangely enough they did get it. So just bear with it for a little while <3
  • If you really plan to quit forever, i don t see the point why you continue to play until ur Keiko is finished? Why bother, if u wanna quit anyway? If you wanna quit, just quit and move on? Sorry, serious question.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    If you really plan to quit forever, i don t see the point why you continue to play until ur Keiko is finished? Why bother, if u wanna quit anyway? If you wanna quit, just quit and move on? Sorry, serious question.

Not interested in Keiko, Uhura hits 2 collections & my sabbatical is until January 2021 (scroll up). “Move along, move along ...”. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    If you really plan to quit forever, i don t see the point why you continue to play until ur Keiko is finished? Why bother, if u wanna quit anyway? If you wanna quit, just quit and move on? Sorry, serious question.

Feel as though I should complete the campaign as I paid for the card. You are right, there's no logical reason to complete the campaign if not coming back but it would bug me if I didn't complete it and left it partially done.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gauntlet is definitely the worst feature in this game and almost the only one you can't apply any real strategy to, but still have to invest time into. Having strong crew, going for long win streaks, spending lots of merits... all of these "strategies" just equal buying 100 lottery tickets a day for months. It does increase your chance to eventually win something, but it's only worth the investment of time and resources if you can ignore the awful drop rates, while you keep telling yourself that this has to be the lucky round.
    There were two big strategies for Gauntlet, but one of them (being in Gauntlet B ) no longer works (I'm not certain why, but it may just be attrition).

But there are many, many tactics that can be applied that have a significant impact on your performance. It's not the flat, near-zero-gameplay shell of an activity that i thought it was for the first ~6 months i played it.

The thing is, many of the ways to come out on top aren't so much gameplay as game theory, and take a lot more lateral thinking than one might expect from a game like this (and surely weren't intended by the devs!). But as your arsenal of tactics improves, it gets quite interesting - and if you're a math person, even fun! It's a place where low-spenders like me can't be easily brute-forced out of the competition - i think one of our big spenders revealed they spent over 11,000 dilithium to get their first Red Angel, and I already had two by that point. Indeed, at 1+ legendaries every two weeks or less, it has a big impact on my crew.

But you're right, it's only giving you "lottery tickets". I've been waiting for my tenth Guinan for almost six months, and back around May I went three weeks without a Gauntlet legendary drop! And even if you're happy with its math, that doesn't stop some Gauntlet rolls from being phone-throwingly frustrating!

And this is another vote for having the two concurrent Gauntlets end 12 hours apart, instead of 24. Make it so.
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    The gauntlet is definitely the worst feature in this game and almost the only one you can't apply any real strategy to, but still have to invest time into. Having strong crew, going for long win streaks, spending lots of merits... all of these "strategies" just equal buying 100 lottery tickets a day for months. It does increase your chance to eventually win something, but it's only worth the investment of time and resources if you can ignore the awful drop rates, while you keep telling yourself that this has to be the lucky round.
    There were two big strategies for Gauntlet, but one of them (being in Gauntlet B ) no longer works (I'm not certain why, but it may just be attrition).

But there are many, many tactics that can be applied that have a significant impact on your performance. It's not the flat, near-zero-gameplay shell of an activity that i thought it was for the first ~6 months i played it.

The thing is, many of the ways to come out on top aren't so much gameplay as game theory, and take a lot more lateral thinking than one might expect from a game like this (and surely weren't intended by the devs!). But as your arsenal of tactics improves, it gets quite interesting - and if you're a math person, even fun! It's a place where low-spenders like me can't be easily brute-forced out of the competition - i think one of our big spenders revealed they spent over 11,000 dilithium to get their first Red Angel, and I already had two by that point. Indeed, at 1+ legendaries every two weeks or less, it has a big impact on my crew.

But you're right, it's only giving you "lottery tickets". I've been waiting for my tenth Guinan for almost six months, and back around May I went three weeks without a Gauntlet legendary drop! And even if you're happy with its math, that doesn't stop some Gauntlet rolls from being phone-throwingly frustrating!

And this is another vote for having the two concurrent Gauntlets end 12 hours apart, instead of 24. Make it so.

My point is that the strategies only allow you to have longer win streaks or higher ranking, which is good if you have some use for all the collateral rewards the gauntlet gives. But if all you need or want out of it is a legendary drop (especially if it's one specific legendary) then there is nothing that I would actually call a valid strategy.

We don't know the actual drop rates of legendaries out of the boxes/crates (correct me if I'm wrong) or if they're influenced by anything else than the box/crate type, but they must be much worse than the drop rates of legendaries out of 10x premium pulls. Which makes it pure gambling to me, even with the highest level crates, which I must have opened at least 200 of over the last two months.

The point is that I could spend 11.000 dilithium on it, but that gives me no guarantee whatsoever that I would actually get the Red Angel (see Bylo's experience with Locutus last year). There's also no guarantee that 11.000 dilithium would give me the featured legendary in a 3-crew premium pack, but at least I can burn them through within a few minutes. If there is an Arachnia, President of the Earth, Captain Proton pack and I want Arachnia, I don't have to make a choice, look at animations, refresh, make another choice, look at animations, refresh, make another choice, look at animations, refresh, 10 times in a row, 4 or 5 times a day, for weeks or months.

Of course win streaks and ranking have some impact (or I wouldn't have 4 immortal gauntlet legendaries and 3 dupes) but to me the gauntlet is still a mind-numbingly boring and frustrating feature. If I could appreciate the small rewards or the ranking or win streaks for themselves, no matter what the rewards are, then I guess I would also appreciate the strategies you mention.

Also, yes, it does feel nice to rank #1 even if you get nothing for it, but since that would require me to stay up until 2 am every two days, that's not an option :(