Options

Dilithium / 10 pack offers - when a deal isn't a deal

Got two offers on the game today:

(a) 4 x 10pk portal pulls and 490 dil for $4.99

(b) 20 x 10pk portal pulls and 2,250 dil for $24.99

However, if you do the math and multiply out (a) by 5 you get:

(5a) 20 x 10 pk portal pulls and 2,450 dil for $24.95

That's 200 dil more for 4 cents less

You're better off with the smaller offer. Wonder why the larger offer wasn't a better deal ratio?

Comments

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger one provides 1500 VIP points though, the small ones 250.

Overall both **tsk tsk**.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s good you have a chance to get the cheaper deal if you’re on a budget.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s good you have a chance to get the cheaper deal if you’re on a budget.

That was my first thought. Great deal for those who can't do the $24.99 one.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can only do the smaller one 4 times, so if you wanted more dil than the small one offers, you can do the big one. The difference between the 2 is quite minimal.

Personally, I am passing on both. While they aren’t horrible, they aren’t particularly good either. They are pretty neutral. If I had a need for dil or packs atm, I would participate without kicking myself. I am not, so they are pretty easy passes.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 x 10pk portal pulls and 490 dil for $4.99 is also worse than the 10 x 10pk for $9.99

This would only yield 8 x 10k and enough dil for 1 x 10pk and 330 dil leftover.

Also, a $4 monthly card yields 3000 DIL which is enough for 4 x 10pk + 400 DIL. So someone on a budget is better off buying the monthly card and saving the DIL for the packs. I guess this offer is good for someone buying the monthly card who can't afford the 10 for 10 offers on top of the monthly card. For other people it seems like a monthly card and/or 10 for 10 are better uses of their money.

I appreciate the attempt at offering a cheaper deal, but I think WRG needs to ask themselves who is the target audience of the deal.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, value is in the eye of the beholder, but I thought these were both good offers in the STT pricing universe.

We've had similar discussions before, but if you price a single 10x pack at $1 (based on the 10 for 10 offer):
    The small offer gives you 490 Dil for $1 (far better than the 330 for $5 in the store).
    The large offer gives you 2250 Dil for $5 (again, far better than the store).

Or reverse it:
    Buy 490 Dil for $5 (better than the 330 Dil store price) and get 4 10x packs for "free".
    Buy 2250 Dil for $25 (better than the store pricing for similar amounts) and get 20 10x packs for "free".
  • Options
    Along those lines, I do remember some time last year that I saw a 15 x 10 pack for $9.99 - now, that was a deal. The monthly dilithium pack for $3.99 is by far the best deal. Between that and the monthly campaign (which gives you a lot for $9.99), I spend about $15 a month to play - and since I play every day, it's worth it. These folks gotta live, too.

When I do buy "extra", it's never for more than $9.99 - and only if it really seems worth it. (the 10 x 10 pack or maybe a 5* that I really need)

• Options
    Along those lines, I do remember some time last year that I saw a 15 x 10 pack for $9.99 - now, that was a deal. The monthly dilithium pack for $3.99 is by far the best deal. Between that and the monthly campaign (which gives you a lot for $9.99), I spend about $15 a month to play - and since I play every day, it's worth it. These folks gotta live, too.

For just $0.50 a day, you too can sponsor a Niantic employee. In the aaaaaarm ooooof Red Aaangel... o:)
  • Options
    I would normally be tempted by this, but there are only a handful of the 4's I'm missing or need stars on that are in the portal right now. I'd probably just get some expensive honor for my trouble.
  • Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for a portal Update too.
  • Options
    I wish they would come up with more Chroniton offers. The occasional $9.99 for 1,250 is outrageously expensive when you get to missions costing 20 Chronitons at a single shot.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I do see what you are saying, and I still thought these were descent offers. Not the best, and certainly not the worst. As echoed before, it’s all in the eye of the beholder.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...