Home The Bridge
Options

Event packs

Can we please have initial purchases of event packs contain a guaranteed behold that is specifically the event crew. It is beyond frustrating knowing that a new purple is introduced and you can careless about the gold because all you want is the new purple, or even the secondary purple, to be able to immortalize one or the other.

I have 200+ golds that are 1/5.... I have no need for more.... all I ask is for EVENT crew behold on the FIRST pack purchased. All others beyond that are exactly as it is now. I feel like I could guarantee the stats would be more in favor of either purple than the gold...
Fleet - Omega Molecules
lv 94 - 600+ immortalized w/ 572 unique - 15 collections max level - VIP14 - Missing 17 1/4 SR characters.

Comments

• Options
    Same for ship packs - I wanted to see if I could nab schematics for the Borg Queen ship - tried ten times, not once did I hit it! I know that it's all RNG, but mathematically, you'd expect at least one catch in 10. Blew almost 4K dil for nothing more than replicator fuel.

Won't be doing that anymore.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    event packs used to be where if you got to the 10th spot, it had a gauranteed 10th spot behold, where you could pick the event character, or either of 2 other characters, whether it be the event purple / gold, or some other character in the pool. They changed something mid-September 2016 where it all became a straight drop. one of the worst changes they ever made. And they never could figure out what they changed. I kept asking Nod about this for over a year, but he never could figure it out.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Yeah I know of beholds like that. But I am saying to mix them. It is specifically event crew. So for this event, it’s Yates, Kivas, or Nona. And in the off chance it’s a re-run there is 4 event crew... the screen scrolls to the right and back to the left to display all 4 crew. Minor bonus crew would not apply. It is only the main event crew. And again this would ONLY on the initial pack. All others are like how it is now.
    Fleet - Omega Molecules
    lv 94 - 600+ immortalized w/ 572 unique - 15 collections max level - VIP14 - Missing 17 1/4 SR characters.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I know of beholds like that. But I am saying to mix them. It is specifically event crew. So for this event, it’s Yates, Kivas, or Nona. And in the off chance it’s a re-run there is 4 event crew... the screen scrolls to the right and back to the left to display all 4 crew. Minor bonus crew would not apply. It is only the main event crew. And again this would ONLY on the initial pack. All others are like how it is now.

My guess is that an attempt to re-code existing event packs to have fuzzy logic regarding the first pull would break something horribly. What could be done instead is a special behold like we’ve had a few times already for actor birthdays or for last week’s celebration - one behold with very specific crew. Adding a fourth for re-run events probably won’t happen...that’s a whole new set of coding issues that probably aren’t high on the list of things to do.

Something that might help WRG justify such a feature financially would be to charge 1500 or more dil for just that behold, with no schematics, 3* crew, or chances to get additional 4*/5* crew. Make it a one-time offer as well, so anyone hunting for extra copies of the 5* still have to play pack roulette and thus generate revenue.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I've found that event packs have ridiculous RNG and I very rarely get them anymore, really just for faction or skirmish events, when I don't have a spare 4* citation laying around from campaigns to finish the new 4* crew. There have been many events where I've wound up getting 5 packs or more to get the new 4* that has a roughly 45% chance of dropping (50/50 if you don't get the 5* crew).

The odd time RNG is on your side. I got Nona last week for no other reason than I knew I'd be buying packs to get the final star for Rivas, and my 2 event packs got me a 2nd star for Nona and then the missing star for Rivas. This week's RNG was definitely the exception to the rule, at least in my experience.

Whether it's event packs or regular packs, an overhaul from the original format is long overdue.
  • Options

My guess is that an attempt to re-code existing event packs to have fuzzy logic regarding the first pull would break something horribly. What could be done instead is a special behold like we’ve had a few times already for actor birthdays or for last week’s celebration - one behold with very specific crew. Adding a fourth for re-run events probably won’t happen...that’s a whole new set of coding issues that probably aren’t high on the list of things to do.

Something that might help WRG justify such a feature financially would be to charge 1500 or more dil for just that behold, with no schematics, 3* crew, or chances to get additional 4*/5* crew. Make it a one-time offer as well, so anyone hunting for extra copies of the 5* still have to play pack roulette and thus generate revenue.

Sounds like an excuse.... can’t be that difficult to change code.... after all, what the we users paying them for! We all know how much this game has become pay to play.... I doubt they will lose hardly any revenue as people will still buy stuff. So just do the code work.... no excuses. That’s part of their job.
    Fleet - Omega Molecules
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players are probably only buying event packs to FF the new 4*. 55% of the time they get either the existing 4* or the 5*. You're asking TP to cut their event pack revenue in half. It's a CCG, the business model is players buying packs until they get the card they need/want. You can't expect them to just reduce their revenue like that unless you can prove that it will increase overall pack sales.

If you want a guaranteed card, you can buy one of the offers with that card. Otherwise you're in the pack roulette.

Also, in your case you didn't want the 5*. In a lot of other cases players want the 5*. Are you saying the first purchase should guarantee a behold with the 5*? 650 DIL for a guaranteed 5* is super cheap compared to other offers. I can't see that ever happening.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Most players are probably only buying event packs to FF the new 4*. 55% of the time they get either the existing 4* or the 5*. You're asking TP to cut their event pack revenue in half. It's a CCG, the business model is players buying packs until they get the card they need/want. You can't expect them to just reduce their revenue like that unless you can prove that it will increase overall pack sales.

If you want a guaranteed card, you can buy one of the offers with that card. Otherwise you're in the pack roulette.

Also, in your case you didn't want the 5*. In a lot of other cases players want the 5*. Are you saying the first purchase should guarantee a behold with the 5*? 650 DIL for a guaranteed 5* is super cheap compared to other offers. I can't see that ever happening.

I read the first post to basically say if your RNG is good enough that your first pack rewards you with the 5*, it would be nice if you could essentially downgrade your winnings to your choice of the 4* options - ie: the new 4*. In that case, you'd technically be choosing a lesser reward, since in some cases players would prefer adding the final star to a new 4* crew instead of adding yet another 1/5* crew (who they may have purposefully avoided the previous week by deliberately ranking outside the top-1500).

That scenario actually fits my last couple weeks quite well. I originally had zero interest in Nona. Towards the end of the event I was hovering right around 1500 since I was doing my best to boost my squad leader, and also realized that I'd be buying event packs the following week to get the 4th star for Kivas. I had a feeling that with my luck, if I didn't get Nona from a top-1500 finish, I'd probably wind up 'winning' her in pack roulette. I decided to finish top-1500 and, sure enough, got a 2nd star for Nona in my first event pack this week. I was lucky enough to get Kivas in my 2nd pack. However, if the scenario above was realistic, I would have been able to skip Nona last week and trade in my rewarded Nona for Kivas, leaving myself 650 additional dilithium and 1 extra crew slot, while still walking away with a soon-to-be-frozen Kivas.

The obvious argument is that TP would be losing out on the dil I spent on a second pack. However, if I had a 4* citation available, I would have skipped Nona and buying event packs this week altogether, simply using my citation to finish Rivas. In that case, even less dil would have been spent on event packs, as has been the case anytime I have a 4* citation available during a faction or skirmish event. The terrible pack odds are only exacerbated by the issue of crew slots in what is honestly a CCG first and foremost.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some cases, it might actually boost revenue.
    I have a hard rule that I only packs for non-Galaxy events, where I don't have the existing 4* FF. That is pretty rare. I bought one this time as Yates is 1/4*. I got Fajo, giving me a 4/4* about 20 mins ago. I might get enough to finish Yates from Rank Rewards. I will at this rate.
    However, give me a targeted behold weekly and I might do that for a crack at finishing the 4* or grabbing the 5* for a Galaxy.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they could do a one-time event behold for 3,000 dilithium (price point negotiable) that has all three event crew. That would be less than half the statistical cost for a copy of the legendary. If you want the guaranteed SR, that's the cost of doing business. And with a limit of 1, you're either talking about adding one star or getting a first star. Seems reasonable to me.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I wonder if they could do a one-time event behold for 3,000 dilithium (price point negotiable) that has all three event crew. That would be less than half the statistical cost for a copy of the legendary. If you want the guaranteed SR, that's the cost of doing business. And with a limit of 1, you're either talking about adding one star or getting a first star. Seems reasonable to me.

I would love this. There is nothing more infurating than blowing a ton of crystals to try and get a copy of a crew. I am not doing this because I want to gamble! And 99 monies is just too much for a gold ...
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an excuse.... can’t be that difficult to change code.... after all, what the we users paying them for! We all know how much this game has become pay to play.... I doubt they will lose hardly any revenue as people will still buy stuff. So just do the code work.... no excuses. That’s part of their job.

It seriously sounds like you have absolutely zero idea how hard that actually would be. Coding for the "first Event Pack" for every player to do that would involve quite a bit more than you seem to think it would involve. The game would have to keep track of that specific stat for every single player. The complexity involved would probably be a lot more convoluted than it seems. You're not going to do it with one line of code. Pretty sure about that.......

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I think the easiest solution would be to have two separate event packs: one with the new 4* and the legendary and one with the old 4* and the legendary (in case of reruns the legendaries could be split up too).

This is just speculation, but I suppose that while players would require less pulls to get what they want (if that's copies of a 4*) a lot more people would probably open those packs, so overall the same amount of dilithium might be spent by the playerbase. And a lot less of those people would be unhappy with the result.

It wouldn't solve the issue of those who get a 5* when what they really want is a 4*, but at least the chances to get that specific 4* would go up from 45% to 90%.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the easiest solution would be to have two separate event packs: one with the new 4* and the legendary and one with the old 4* and the legendary (in case of reruns the legendaries could be split up too).

This is just speculation, but I suppose that while players would require less pulls to get what they want (if that's copies of a 4*) a lot more people would probably open those packs, so overall the same amount of dilithium might be spent by the playerbase. And a lot less of those people would be unhappy with the result.

It wouldn't solve the issue of those who get a 5* when what they really want is a 4*, but at least the chances to get that specific 4* would go up from 45% to 90%.

TP could always try it one week and see.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Riker's islan{DD}Riker's islan{DD} ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

It seriously sounds like you have absolutely zero idea how hard that actually would be. Coding for the "first Event Pack" for every player to do that would involve quite a bit more than you seem to think it would involve. The game would have to keep track of that specific stat for every single player. The complexity involved would probably be a lot more convoluted than it seems. You're not going to do it with one line of code. Pretty sure about that.......

Too be fair - they already have this mechanism, as demonstrated in the last honor sale, where you could only buy 1 of a particular behold and 10 of another and unlimited of a third, or certain weekly packs you are limited to a fixed number pf times you can partake..........same principle.

each player stats would not have to be held / calcluated. Just a "flag" on the pack purchase history which they already track. Set flag to default to 0 (menaing no pulls), and as soon as "purchase" madde, set flag to 1.

When pulling pack if flag is 0 offer the better chance saloon, else offer RNG luck

I know the reality - is more complicated - but the principle is not. Also s/w dev is not limited by existing code base and difficuly, it is limited by agreed priorities and revenue realisation.

code bases can be altered or extended. Alteration is where go back and chnage existing code to make a new feature, extension is where you isoloate new features in extensible well designed code, and simply branch or call out to it when required - and this is how most modern software houses work to add new technology and features to old (over 20 year s.w) - so "technically" there is no reason for game that is 5 years to not be able to add ANY feature / function.

It always comes down to - dev time, test time, roadmap as agreed with investors, ability to recoupe cost and ability to generate revenue.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

TP could always try it one week and see.

I think a longer trial period would be needed. The quality of the crew is a variable. They would probably want to test for differing quality of crew. Not to mention, that seems like a lot of work to do for something that you're only going to use for one week. May as well get more mileage from the coding effort.
    Farewell 🖖