Home The Bridge
Options

Saving voyages without an extension

After reading an interview with a game developer who stated the Voyage Revival Tokens were not meant to be a commodity, I got an idea about that...

Getting rid of the Revival token now would be extremely unpopular with us players. So I'm not going to even suggest that. But based on my personal experiences, I sometimes avoid spending a token (or dilithium) and choose to abandon simply because I don't have the time or patience to wait a couple more hours to claim. Especially if the pending rewards are disappointing. (I'm not going to rehash the debate about having a choice to use dilithium vs. tokens).

The idea I have is to introduce a "rescue" token to save voyages that have run out of fuel and claim the rewards, but do NOT extend the voyage with a refueling. The voyage will still conclude at that moment and it will register as a success instead of a failure when the rescue token is used.

Thoughts everyone?
Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!

Comments

• Options
    But what would be the benifit, insterad of using a revival token and recalling the voyage immediately?
  • Options
    Slick wrote: »
    The idea I have is to introduce a "rescue" token to save voyages that have run out of fuel and claim the rewards, but do NOT extend the voyage with a refueling.
    I can see the potential value. Or, or if it's easier to implement, these tokens could revive your voyage with only 200 antimatter so you have time to reverse course but not significantly extend your voyage. But I see two problems:

First, these wouldn't be much of a reward. In events/campaigns, they'd have demonstrably less value. And mailed out after an outage, they will still help affected people, but not provide an additional sentiment boost to pick them up.

Second, mobile games want you to log in a few times a day, and your Rescue tokens break the loop. If you miss your voyage, don't worry, you can log back whenever to restore it. But if you also get an extension, you'll probably try and make the most of it . . . which means you need to log back in later to save it. And if you miss that, you need to revive again.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    But what would be the benifit, insterad of using a revival token and recalling the voyage immediately?

By doing that you waste a token that could have extended a future voyage you intend on extending. Some folks might not have tokens to spare, others may be hoarding them for a future run on claiming those hard to get Part 3 dilemma crew.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

By doing that you waste a token that could have extended a future voyage you intend on extending. Some folks might not have tokens to spare, others may be hoarding them for a future run on claiming those hard to get Part 3 dilemma crew.

But isn't that the point? There needs to be a scarcity of resources, otherwise TP may as well just give everybody the 3-part crew.

Players should have to make the decision about whether or not to burn a token for a voyage they forgot about or couldn't get to in time, rather than abandon it in favor of stockpiling tokens. Introducing more in-game currencies would only add to the clutter, while removing some of the strategic decision making players face (which is few and far between after you've been playing the game for a few years).

I've chosen to abandon several voyages over the past few months, for the exact reason that I have been building my token resource to go after the 1 missing 3-part crew I still have to get (and in anticipation of more such crew being added to the game in the future). Adding another voyage token seems like a cop-out to me.
  • Options
    While WRG may not have anticipated how tokens would be used, I think if they had a problem with this they wouldn't be including them in the In This Together packs.

If people are hoarding tokens, they aren't spending dil to extend voyages. That could be an issue . . . but there are a lot of other things to spend dil on. I personally went from most of it going to voyage extensions, to saving it up for select crew packs (mostly the discounted ones).
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @Slick, I admire your creativity here. To answer...
    After reading an interview with a game developer who stated the Voyage Revival Tokens were not meant to be a commodity, I got an idea about that...

Getting rid of the Revival token now would be extremely unpopular with us players. So I'm not going to even suggest that. But based on my personal experiences, I sometimes avoid spending a token (or dilithium) and choose to abandon simply because I don't have the time or patience to wait a couple more hours to claim. Especially if the pending rewards are disappointing. (I'm not going to rehash the debate about having a choice to use dilithium vs. tokens).

The idea I have is to introduce a "rescue" token to save voyages that have run out of fuel and claim the rewards, but do NOT extend the voyage with a refueling. The voyage will still conclude at that moment and it will register as a success instead of a failure when the rescue token is used.

Thoughts everyone?

...I cannot say I am a fan of this idea. Like FUNimations, Ishmael Marx, and Webberoni said already, what you describe is pretty much how the revival tokens already work, they give you the chance to save the voyage and recall it safely. Players may choose to "let it ride" and take their chances by letting the voyage continue to run, but are not required to do so. Having the existing token revive AND refill the AM creates an attractive risk/reward paradigm for both player and company; the players can keep the voyage out longer to try and score more goodies and the company gains the chance that the rescued voyage will fail again with even more goodies the player will want to expend resources to rescue.
  • Options
    I’m not feeling it. I get the distinction you are making, and a voyage token is a rescue token. As pointed out, you can use the voyage token and immediately recall. You do not have to run out the antimatter.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options

Yeah i got that, but if i had 5 revival token.

And we got this new type of token and used it, i would still have 5 revival tokens.
    However, if we got a revival token in stead and use it, i'dd still have 5 revival tokens.
    Your total of revival tokens left, wouldn't change if we'd be getting this new type of token.

• Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your input. :)
  • Options
    I think the bigger reason tokens are getting horded like a commodity is because of the damn voyage freeze bug. I know I'm not going on any long voyages until that get squashed.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the bigger reason tokens are getting horded like a commodity is because of the damn voyage freeze bug. I know I'm not going on any long voyages until that get squashed.

That’s pretty much gone. I haven’t had a frozen voyage in months (maybe over a year). And I’ve had a bunch of 10-20hr voyages in-between then and now. If that’s really your reason to not use them, I‘d encourage you to use the tokens.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Captain CalvinCaptain Calvin ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    My issue is that the voyage payouts are terrible in general, primarily the characters collected. I get many 8-10 hour voyages that yield no SR characters, and more recently so many duplicates. My last completed voyage (10+ hours) I got 4 SR characters, but 3/4 were duplicates which I airlocked (they were not worth creating a second copy) ... only one was of any use. Unless the payout looks like it will yield better SR in the voyage extension, I just recall at the end of the initial voyage time. I have 40 of those tokens right now, but using them for a good voyage is so rare :(
  • Options
    You know, if they didn't give the tokens as a reward for meeting a certain event threshold, I would buy the argument that they aren't meant to be a commodity. The moment they started giving it as a prize, and not just as an "Ooops!" mechanic, they became a resource for players to use.

As far as resource rarity goes with the 3 part Voyage exclusive crew... I still have never seen Part 3 of Champion of the people. That's after almost 2 years of play, deliberately tanking all the wrong choices so I don't get certain dilemmas, and hoarding tokens in the hopes I can extend long enough to get it. It always seems to take just more than I have. I'm at a point where Picard and Worf are utterly useless to me, and I will finish and freeze them the moment I get them... so what's the point of making them scarce?

That is my #1 least favorite thing about this game. Even if you are willing to pay (a reasonable price!) for a crew, sometimes they just make it impossible to get. The tokens at least give a path for a player - if they hoard for a really long time - to maybe have a chance of saving enough to brute force the right combination needed to get a certain crew. Without having to spend hundreds of dollars to do it, mind you.

Same goes for the gauntlet crew. As frustrated as I am about still not getting a Red Angel, I feel worse for the people who still haven't managed to land a Caretaker or Locutus when it all comes down to being hosed by a simulated random number generator.

I, too, would very much like the option of not using a token. Then, I can spend six months hoarding them to maybe have the opportunity to get a crew that is completely useless to me.
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    Captain CalvinCaptain Calvin ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    My issue is that the voyage payouts are terrible in general, primarily the characters collected. I get many 8-10 hour voyages that yield no SR characters, and more recently so many duplicates. My last completed voyage (10+ hours) I got 4 SR characters, but 3/4 were duplicates which I airlocked (they were not worth creating a second copy) ... only one was of any use. Unless the payout looks like it will yield better SR in the voyage extension, I just recall at the end of the initial voyage time. I have 40 of those tokens right now, but using them for a good voyage is so rare :(

Just finished a 12hr voyage. I wasn't paying attention and it ran out of AM at 9hr 40min, so I used a token. I had a SR Mirror Keiko early in the 8th hour and 4-5 uncommon (green). Well, the token got me to the 10hr and 12hr dilemma points - both greens for rewards! So I end up with the single SR, no rares, 6-7 uncommon :( ... now you wonder why I don't use them normally...