Home The Bridge
Options

Anybody else just absolutely HATE gauntlet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    YES
    I haven't touched it in about 6 months.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    YES
    Mainly because of the over abundance of trainers. I finished one recently where I was awarded 3 boxes. They all had trainers.

However, on the other hand over the 6,500 or so rounds I’ve played I’ve been awarded one Locutus, 3 Armuses and 2 Banjo Mans. So that brings me back from time to time.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with gauntlet is that it still will not drop a Red Angel for me and that it was very slow in dropping an Armus for me as well. I feel disappointment grow with every loot box I open that does not have her. Schrodinger had the right idea in not opening the box, because then I could at least have the possibility of a Red Angel in it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    What I often question is the points granted. The closer the end of the round the fewer the points. Often all opponents only give 10 points even if they are 30 ranks higher. Too bad this is not true for the first day where even lower ranked opponents tend to give absurd amounts of points,

In short: The point system is absolutely rigged imo. The battles are not.

Drop rates for crew are around zero for me recently, I have not had one in months.

Still, free merits, so whatever.^^
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a copy of Red Angel within the first week, used honor to immortalize her, and have only played gauntlet once since. It’s not that I think it’s biased or unfair. I have won just as many lobsided matches as I have lost, it’s just that most people don’t take matches they may lose so they don’t see the other side. I just find it boring and not helpful once you have all the crew
  • Options
    I like it because it's fun. Roller coaster ride often, but I love the uncertainty. You need to play often to win. Doubles of all gauntlet crew except 1/5 Red Angel.
  • Options
    12345678 of 12345678912345678 of 123456789 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    The stats make no sense and it’s frustrating ....

I agree with you, it is very frustrating. 5% vs 25% or 45% or 65%.

25% has a 5 times chance of getting a crit than a 5% ;
    45% has a 9 times chance of getting a crit than a 5% ;
    65% has a 13 times chance of getting a crit than a 5%

But it does not work that way. The percentages are completely wrong because they add in RNG for the final result.

So if you play knowing it is fixed, then it becomes more acceptable.

It's not rigged.

Can we stop quoting this thread as somehow definitive? It's not.

Aggregates and averages are terrible metrics that tell you nothing about local conditions and specific variables. They're just slightly above useless and typically examples of unsophisticated or outright bad data analysis.

If you're going to disagree, be prepared to explain why the Frozen Gauntleteer Bug wasn't detected by this statistical study.

Participants on this forum can whine about others' perception of prob and stats all they want, but the defenders of this attempted analysis are about as far off the mark as the average non-aware individual biased by failure / sample size / 101 issues that so regularly get mocked mercilessly. It's more than a little off-putting and frankly disappointing that this type of fanboy trolling is tolerated / actively encouraged by this forum community.

There are many, many kinds of cognitive bias. People may need to venture beyond wikipedia and articles on the internet to understand their own biases, let alone diagnose them in others.
  • Options
    YES
    I haven't even got my free Locutus from 20k rounds yet and I'm a day one player. That's how much I hate The Gauntlet.

Similar here, a day one player but I am currently standing at 7342 gauntlet rounds according to my achievement count.

Every two days I pick 5 crew, then two days latter I collect one reward, rinse and repeat. Sometimes I am last in the gauntlet but not always.
  • Options
    Hate, no. RNG absolutely is annoying, but the rewards, ugh. I know you can't please everyone (and the things of which I'd like to see more are on others' eliminate list), but the Common Portal drops, please, no. I'd rather have trainers, because at least it's replicator fuel.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    who says you can't do both ... I can multitask, lol

As someone who has played sports their entire life ... it's called "Settling it on the field" (or court). Stellar would say "or on the "Ice"" but I've never tried hockey. :#
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    YES
    😂 Nice one.
  • Options
    My problem with gauntlet is that it still will not drop a Red Angel for me and that it was very slow in dropping an Armus for me as well. I feel disappointment grow with every loot box I open that does not have her. Schrodinger had the right idea in not opening the box, because then I could at least have the possibility of a Red Angel in it.
    I didn't get my first Locutus until late last year, and I've been playing this game for 3+ years. I got enough copies of Guinan and Armus to have at least two 5/5 copies of each long before they were replaced as the 'featured' Gauntlet crew, On the other hand, I also only ever got two copies of The Caretaker (both dropped this year) and still no Red Angel yet despite playing Gauntlet almost non-stop since they entered the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get my first Locutus until late last year, and I've been playing this game for 3+ years. I got enough copies of Guinan and Armus to have at least two 5/5 copies of each long before they were replaced as the 'featured' Gauntlet crew, On the other hand, I also only ever got two copies of The Caretaker (both dropped this year) and still no Red Angel yet despite playing Gauntlet almost non-stop since they entered the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep that is gauntlet for ya. I have had two legendaries from gauntlet since Red Angel was introduced but neither was her. One was Guinan and one was Locutus.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    YES

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep that is gauntlet for ya. I have had two legendaries from gauntlet since Red Angel was introduced but neither was her. One was Guinan and one was Locutus.

Same. I've had 2 drop since she was released. Both the same day, and it was 4 days ago (Caretaker [finally!] and Armus). Still waiting on Red riding hood.

I bet if you were boil this down, you'd find the people who are fed up are those still looking for their preferred Legendary, and those who are satisfied are the ones who got theirs relatively early.
  • Options
    Bound2FateBound2Fate ✭✭✭✭
    NO
    I have low expectations in the gauntlet and do not try to win it all. I regularly finish between 30-75 and after 13000 rounds, I have only won one Locutus and none of the other gauntlet exclusives. I've heard rumors of players winning gold crew with only 3 or 6-win streaks. I rather use my merits for merit pulls than waste them all trying to find gauntlet matches that I will probably lose anyways. I am tired of the blue trainers, but overall I'm not really bothered by the gauntlet. I find some enjoyment in it if I keep my expectations for the rewards low.
    Admiral of Historians of Starfleet Join! Looking for daily players.
  • Options
    NO
    I don’t hate it; I just realize *tsk.tsk* beats are a part of life and play accordingly. Does it seem like those beats come a little too frequently...yeah, and that could just be negative bias.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bound2Fate wrote: »
    I've heard rumors of players winning gold crew with only 3 or 6-win streaks.

I can confirm those rumours, my first Armus and 2nd Angel both came from 3-win streaks.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Bound2Fate wrote: »
    I've heard rumors of players winning gold crew with only 3 or 6-win streaks.

I can confirm those rumours, my first Armus and 2nd Angel both came from 3-win streaks.

My first two stars for the Caretaker came from 3-win streaks and the very first came on the third round I played in the first gauntlet after he was introduced...I could not have physically gotten him any faster than that. I kinda felt bad at my good fortune.
  • Options
    NO
    p9ieezjrq8km.jpg

Gauntlet is bottom line a lot of ups & downs.

Never all ups & never all downs.

But some streaks of ups & some streaks of downs.

Most everyone with some decent gauntlet crew has a puncher's chance.
    ÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
  • Options
    NO
    I would argue the likelihood of Wigan Athletic beating Man City in the F.A Cup in 2013 were even worse odds than your gauntlet odds. But sometimes it happens. But I do get annoyed when it does happen to me.
  • Options
    NO
    How the Gauntlet Works:

If I have Guinan at 65% vs. the Gauntlet’s Mirror Sisko at 5%, I liken my odds of victory to those of seeing a leprechaun riding a unicorn hunting a yeti whilst weilding Excalibur...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    TarisTaris ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    NO
    It can be aggravating but I don't hate it. If nothing else, I get a decent amount of merits I can transfer into honor. That alone makes it worth it for me. But it is frustrating, placing within the top 10 most of the time and getting nothing exciting. I haven't gotten gauntlet crew in good six months. All of them sit unfinished, just waiting for the sweet day the final copies drop...*insert it's been 84 years gif*
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    How the Gauntlet Works:

If I have Guinan at 65% vs. the Gauntlet’s Mirror Sisko at 5%, I liken my odds of victory to those of seeing a leprechaun riding a unicorn hunting a yeti whilst weilding Excalibur...

So you're saying there's a chance... ;)
  • Options
    YES
    The last achievement I have to clear in game is 20,000 gauntlet rounds. I hate gauntlet so much that this game will end before I do.

I think it's insanely boring and I hate how dominated it is by RNG.

Tap, tap, tap. Random results. Stuff I don't need.

Cool.

There's no reward for playing, aside from the shiny gauntlet character - which is nice and all, but I've received more Guinans than Red Angels for my middling efforts since the introduction, and the domination by RNG ensures I probably won't get what I need anyway. Which is a Red Angel. I'll cite it up once I get it and then I'll be done again until they force me to do rounds or something through a temporary achievement. How I look forward to that day.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    NO
    How the Gauntlet Works:

So you're saying there's a chance... ;)

Hell yes, there is! :D
  • Options
    Yes I HATE it

I took like 6 months off for my mental health

Started playing again when they introduced The Red Angle

I usually spend between 2 & 3 thousand merits each 2 day gauntlet session trying to protect streaks to increase my odds

I finally got a Red Angel the other day after a extra frustrating gauntlet session ended

I am now not playing again for awhile - 2020 **tsk tsk** enough already
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten to vote.

Had you asked this 6 months ago, I would have given a RESOUNDING "no". I used to play Gauntlet very hard, it was part of a bigger strategy I used to get myself to where I am now...not sure precisely where that is exactly, but I have no complaints :)

But two things happened around the same time that have changed my personal feelings toward the Gauntlet. The first was finishing Red Angel. Like I said I enjoyed Gauntlet a great deal and invested an embarrassing amount of dilithium chasing down 5 copies of Red Angel, but I got there, and that took a lot of wind out of the sails.

The other thing that happened is I started an alt account. The combination of my main really not needing Gauntlet for anything and my alt having absolutely ZERO chance soured me on the entire thing. I don't "hate" it, I just don't play it. I haven't registered for a Gauntlet in almost a month and I feel a lot better not giving RNGesus the opportunity to twist the knife on me every 4 hours, it is a liberating experience :)
  • Options
    NO
    I don't hate it, but it certainly is the most easily ignored part of the game for me. It doesn't seem like it builds toward anything of worth.

I've NEVER gotten a Locutus drop and Ive played the Gauntlet every day since release, I'm eventually gonna get it from the achievement, but the fact that I need to play Gauntlet rounds to finally unlock Locutus is probably the only thing that gets me to go anywhere near it at this point..

It certainly is overdue for a rework. Hated? No, but not liked either. The gauntlet served a purpose pre-Voyages, to get you more chrons to do more things, but Voyages gets you better chrons more consistently along with other rewards too.
  • Options
    KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    YES
    I wouldn't use the word "hate", but I strongly dislike it. Unless there's a special (temporary) achievement out for gauntlet rounds, I only set up a gauntlet team and then don't play, that way I at least get one box reward when it's over. I dislike anything that has PvP character, including anything that rewards based on ranking, as you can't get anything interesting out of those unless you spend a whole lot of money and/or time on the game and I already feel I'm stretching myself on both (I'm VIP 13, almost half-way to 14, so I spent quite a bit) and still don't get anywhere in anything related to PvP.

And Gauntlet for me is the worst example of that: spending a lot of time for something that doesn't give me a lot of interesting rewards at all. My main motivation in the game is probably getting and completing cards, not quasi-shooting other players' cards. If I want to do PvP and shooting, there are better games out there for that.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073