Home The Bridge
Options

DB goes into bankruptcy - this does not mean going out of business (title edited by Shan)

Comments

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear. Especially as the reports also show that at one point things looked quite rosy. But proven again: You can make the biggest mistakes in successful stages. At one point I guess Jon wanted to swallow more than he could chew. The move to the bigger office right before their gameflop was the first nail in the coffin it seems...
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a shock at all. We knew for a long time that at least some of the reason that DB weren't investing in Timelines was because they were nursing big losses on Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.

I've always assumed that Tilting Point taking over Timelines was as part settlement of their ill timed investments in DB. (I'm assuming this because I am surprised that DB didn't sell it to an established mobile games developer, which suggests to me that DB had used the game as collateral against Tilting Points investment.)

Hopefully this draws a line under the whole debacle that was DB and that Timelines has a bright future under new owners. I'd still prefer if these new owners weren't just a small private investment firm though.
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    This raises many urgent questions for WRG about the future of the game.

The press releases earlier in the year stated that WRG/TP were a customer of Beamable for some of the 'backend' mechanics of the game.

Hopefully WRG have since taken full ownership of this or managed to transfer out everything necessary onto their own servers and cut the dependency on Beamable? Otherwise there could be problems.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    This raises many urgent questions for WRG about the future of the game.

The press releases earlier in the year stated that WRG/TP were a customer of Beamable for some of the 'backend' mechanics of the game.

Hopefully WRG have since taken full ownership of this or managed to transfer out everything necessary onto their own servers and cut the dependency on Beamable? Otherwise there could be problems.

I doubt TP was using actual DB servers. It's more likely that TP had a license to use the DB game engine for the game. That code then would run on both TP servers and possibly our phones/browsers.
    I am certain that TP knowing the financial state of DB had a clause in their license that they received rights to that engine code in the event of a bankruptcy.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most software license contracts include getting all of the actual backend code in the event of a bankruptcy/closure etc. and that code copy is generally held by a 3rd part escrow firm. I highly doubt this will impact TP in any way. But to be fair, this is based on what the software company I work for needs to do for our contracts.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Shan wrote: »
    Hi all, these articles unfortunately do not provide all the information, and lack the proper context.

Beamable, formerly known as Disruptor Beam, is not going out of business.
    The services they provide to us are continuing as per usual.

I edited my original post as I might have provided incorrect context myself, sorry about that.

Thanks Shan :)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    woof, that walking dead game
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    This worries me somewhat, as I saw this article yesterday and I mentioned to our fleet that hopefully they did not file on the licensing part of Star Trek otherwise ST could feasibly pull their licensing to avoid a repeat. I doubt that would happen but many of the same people from DB are in WRG now.

Besides, out of the millions that TP gave DB, where did all of that go?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    This worries me somewhat, as I saw this article yesterday and I mentioned to our fleet that hopefully they did not file on the licensing part of Star Trek otherwise ST could feasibly pull their licensing to avoid a repeat. I doubt that would happen but many of the same people from DB are in WRG now.

The Star Trek License would have been transferred to TP/WRG with the game. DB filing for bankruptcy would have no impact on the license.
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

The Star Trek License would have been transferred to TP/WRG with the game. DB filing for bankruptcy would have no impact on the license.

Unless they were behind on their licensing payments

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Unless they were behind on their licensing payments

That would have had to be settled to be transferred I suspect

Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    That 'free' beer turned out to be pretty expensive.