Home The Bridge

Chroniton Changes

dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
Theres a lot of math in the new server update about chroniton changes. It all seems good even though it is a bit over my head.

There's one thing I am still confused by by -- it says in the update that this was designed ro reduce captain frustration. If you really want to reduce frustration, let the daily chronitons generate on top of any that are stored. I shouldn't be penalized by having a built up supply of chrons.

Comments

• dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings, Captains!

With today’s server release we are introducing the following changes to Chronitons!

Dev commentary: We intend these changes to reduce the friction that the Chroniton cap presents for newer players, increase the value of Chroniton Refill Purchases and address some inconsistency in Captain Level Rewards.

* Chronitons cap increase
    From Captain level 1 up to level 49 the Chronitons cap has been increased, the new formula is: 48 + Captain level times 2.

Example: at Captain level 30, the Chronitons cap is now 108 (48 + 2x30) instead of 88.

The max cap stays unchanged at 150. (this is the base cap which can be higher depending on potential Starbases/Collections bonuses)

* Chronitons have been added to Captain Level Rewards at levels: 5,7,9,11,13.

* Chronitons Refill Purchases
    Chronitons Refill purchases are no longer capped at 50 Chronitons per purchase.

The amount of Chronitons received via a Refill purchase is now linked to a player’s Captain level cap, + potential Starbase/Collections bonuses, with a maximum of 120 Chronitons per purchase. Dilithium costs for Refill purchases remain the same.

Examples:

- a player at Captain level 20, without any Starbase/Collections bonuses who has a Chroniton cap of 88, will receive 88 Chronitons per Refill purchase.

- a player at Captain level 26 in a fleet with a max Starbase who has a Chroniton cap of 130 (base 100 + 30 from Starbase rooms), will receive 120 Chronitons per Refill purchase.

We hope that you will enjoy these changes, thank you for playing!

PS: you might need to restart to see the updated caps.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m glad there is a hard cap. If chrons just kept accumulating without limit many captains would have a ridiculous amount of chrons. It would shake the foundations of galaxy events.
  • dext74 wrote: »
    Theres a lot of math in the new server update about chroniton changes. It all seems good even though it is a bit over my head.

There's one thing I am still confused by by -- it says in the update that this was designed ro reduce captain frustration. If you really want to reduce frustration, let the daily chronitons generate on top of any that are stored. I shouldn't be penalized by having a built up supply of chrons.

Essentially, you are saying there should not be a Chron cap.
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • This is true enough. I get having a cap to prevent people from auto-generating 4 million Chrons... but having a cap in the hundreds seems artificially low, considering how most people play. One voyage for me generates 2-4 times the cap. Not sure that is a good balance...
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea that newer captains {if I read it correctly} can get a higher cap. But the maximum cap for leveled up captains is unchanged? It really helps the people that were handicapped by the old system. Once you are getting back 600- 1000 Chronitons a day from Voyages, the cap doesn't affect you any way.......

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I’m glad there is a hard cap. If chrons just kept accumulating without limit many captains would have a ridiculous amount of chrons. It would shake the foundations of galaxy events.

That‘s already the case, even with the chron cap, and galaxie events
    are what they are. 🤗
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That‘s already the case, even with the chron cap, and galaxie events
    are what they are. 🤗

Ugh. Always have to mince words. I meant if the automatic trickle continued without limits and you know it.

• ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I can see where the Dev team thinks this will help. I'm unconvinced, but that's probably just a case of impatience in general.

Yes is will give players a bit more chrons at the beginning. But is that the real issue for them? Those first 15-20 levels are a chaotic attempt to set up your basic infrastructure. A few more away missions a day will help, it's not nothing. But we are talking about people struggling to level up several cards at a time to clear cadets and episodes for warping. They are working on so many at once I don't know if a slightly higher cap would significantly reduce the frustration. I don't know that there is really anything that can, especially if you are trying hard to rush.

During the last event one starbase member notes in chat that they had spent over 4k with supply kit to level up the new Spock. That's 4k that can't be spent on actually playing the event.

There are different ways to frame it. But during 1-50 you aren't pulling that many chrons from voyages. Really early you may be coming out of events with some 1/4-3/4 cards, but leveling them up during the event for the benefit of a 2/4 can bankrupt you. keep picking them up and you have crew slots full of cards you have to start making hard choices about. I was well beyond 50 when voyages and crew infrastructure allowed me to carry balance of chrons forward.

The point that the continuous uncapped generation of chrons would alter the nature of Galaxy and Skirmishes is important. But the run away stockpile would only effect high level players already capable of threshold and out and FF/FE new crew. The nature of play changes considerably once you aren't working on leveling up several cards at the same time. All of which is to say, I don't believe it would result in a dramatic change or disruption in ranking. It would certainly skyrocket the point totals, but the same people are likely to be getting the high rank. For the 1-50 the slow trickle would likely still hold them back from both clearing thresholds and new card to help them do it.

I'm not advocating for uncapped generation. There may be a balance and useful purpose I don't see in the challenges of the first 50.levels. If there is a serious concern with run away chron generation but there is a value seen on not capping generation at low levels I don't see that would be a huge issue. Just have chron generation slow down the farther you get from a soft cap. It will technically keep everyone playing by the same rules. So a level 10 player that walks away for a month won't come back to a million chrons. And a level 80 player who has 10k chrons isn't going to fundamentally alter events because he won't be getting more than a 25 chrons a day or less. But players trapped in the cycle of building multiple cards would have a slightly better ability to complete a build as well as hit a higher threshold to walk out with at least a 3/4. I'm not saying specificly this would be better. Again, maybe the hard cap benefits the game on a way I don't see. But it should be possible to trickle chrons in without disrupting event play.

Who knows, maybe the game could use an entropy mechanism on stored chrons. A yin and a yang to rationalize the mechanics. Before a certain point more are generated than lost. What if past a certain point that balance shifted and chrons started to disappear instead...
  • KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭

They're already messed up because people accumulate chrons over a long time and then then unload them in an event. But then, I have completely given up on ranked rewards on any event anyhow because if you don't sink all your time and/or money into the game, you don't get anything useful out of those anyhow, from my experience. I concentrate on getting the 130k threshold and maybe some above that, but anything else I practically ignore, just like pretty much everything in the game that is ranks or PvP-style elements because all that only ends in frustration in my experience and I don't need a game to build up frustration, I can do that in real life well enough.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    There really isn't a chron cap anyway, since this only applies to the free auto-accumulated chrons. Once you've been playing long enough, you completely forget about the cap and how you used to wait for chrons in the early days... especially if you started before voyages!

^This is true.
    |
    I remember sitting and literally waiting for every chron to regenerate when I first started. It took a few months of playing almost every day to breach the threshold of accumulating them actively instead of passively. I used to use every chron down to 0 so that it would regenerate up to the max THEN claim any chrons on top of that. Before finishing and logging out for the day, use every chron down to 0.

It was frustrating on events and I did buy a heck of alot of the chron packs. I rarely buy chron packs now, rather other packs and deals instead. ;)

So basically it's a transition over time what you need and want. I think this is great for low level players to be ably to build up from below the max faster. Keep in mind you can build up more chrons past the "max", it just means it won't keep generating like those yellow "intel" thingies in a Skirmish Event. The intel is unique for that specific event, which is logical. (Which is why you don't get to keep any unused ones or people could literally collect millions over time.)