Home Engineering Room
Options

Shuttle mission success chances during events - Post your data here!

I (and many of you) have long suspected that DB is giving us wrong information about success chances of shuttle missions during events. I started collecting data on my shuttles several weeks ago during the First Impressions hybrid event. I collected the success and fail data from all missions running 180 minutes (I go through the shorter missions within minutes with time boosts and do not bother putting down the numbers of those minute long missons…since each shuttle event is (supposed to be) an independent event, this should make no difference).

The success and fail rates you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h3wLNzSDOiu-OIIUhP9OlaKPqRH2YKT83BOPHpFxFCg/edit#gid=0

I do not show all other collected data (like date of the shuttle, order of shuttles, boosts applied, etc.) in order to not compromise future data collection. But during events there is a boost (mostly lvl 3) applied to almost every shuttle, especially if I reach the 1800/2250 VP range.

I evaluated the overall success chance, the chance for missions less or equal 90%, and for missions between 40 and 60% (although for the latter the amount of collected data is very limited as of right now).

overall less or equal 90% between 40% and 60%
missions 286 156 31
successes 210 96 13
failures 76 60 18
theoretical success 83.27% 73.92% 51.23%
actual success 73.43% 61.54% 41.94%
total failure increase -9.85% -12.38% -9.29%
relative failure increase +58.86% +47.49% +19.05%

(You find those results in the link provided above, this forum is a horror when it comes to provide tables)

As you can see the overall success chance is around 10% lower than you would expect. This sounds not so bad, but what’s actually more interesting (and relevant) is the relative increase of failures. I fail around 60% more shuttles than you would expect. This is A LOT!

Further observations and comments:

1. Statistics usually work like this: You virtually never observe an exact behaviour, but your results circle around the average expected outcome. That is, you should observe deviations lower AND higher than the average. But no matter how hard I try, the results are always lower than expected. This is highly erratic behaviour from a statistical point of view. All three events separately show about the same deviation, whereas the first (hybrid event) was the worst of them.
It might also be interesting that the last three events I tracked had a lot better success chance than the two before that, which I did not track. It were those events that finally compelled me to collect data in order to get a better understanding about what’s going on.

2. The final push shuttles tend to have catastrophic outcomes: In the last two faction events (full faction) I was practically the whole time in exactly the reward bracket I wanted to be in (4 whole days). Both times towards the end of the event the success rates got worse, at first somehow explainable with “bad luck”. The final four shuttles I sent out should have left me easily in the bracket I was in the whole time. But then this happened: During the first event I had a 0.34% chance to fail all four shuttles (and that did not happen during the entire event). All four shuttles failed. The most recent event it was exactly the same. I was where I wanted to be the entire event. The final four shuttles had a 0.26% chance to fail. All four shuttles failed. Both events I was pushed out of the reward bracket I was in the entire event literally at the last minute. The chance of that happening two times in a row is 0.00088%. One could say that this is still larger than zero (and people will, there is a base of people that will not doubt DB on anything even if you bring them a billion data points), but this is hardly the point. It’s another example of “things are always worse than expected and never better). My take on why this is happening: If people get kicked out of the bracket they want to be in they either send more shuttles and bring them home quickly using dilithium or they try to get the crew with event packs (also dilithium). I myself do not pay anything on the game anymore. I got to VIP 4 with month cards alone in order to have 4 shuttles, a few extra crew slots, and two daily replicates. I have not paid anything on the game since then (6 months) and do not intend to. So buying event packs is never gonna happen for me.
My feeling (no proof, but it feels very much so) is that sometimes there is no RNG at work at all, but the system works toward preventing your progress. When you get close to a goal, the system actively prevents it: 4 shuttles in a row fail at exactly the right time, your win streak in the gauntlet gets sabotaged at a certain point no matter how ridiculously low the chance of your opponent is, etc.

3. In a recent post in this forum (and many before) (see https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/1208/it-would-be-great-if-the-displayed-shuttle-success-percentages-got-fixed) the issue was discussed as well. The member (FF) This Sisko1 said there that he is tracking data for an entire year now and practically observed the same as me. It would be very helpful if (s)he would share this data. That should be more than sufficient proof that DB provides wrong numbers. Also, I encourage everybody else who collected data to post it in this thread. Also, in the thread https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/476/statistical-improbabilities the member Ditto indicated (s)he had a year worth of data.

4. In the same post it was (as many times before) suggested that boosts might be applied wrongly but the RNG actually calculate the correct results. This would also explain why I do not observe this kind of erratic behaviour outside of events, since I virtually never use boosts there. If this is the case, then DB was told this eons ago and it would have been easy to correct the issue a long time ago. This should be very easy from a programming point of view. Just tell the program to display the exact same number as success chance that the RNG (correctly!) calculates. This should be easy! But we are talking about a company that for months could not fix the bug that constantly shows that you have an achievement reward ready to collect once you finished #1 in the Gauntlet, although you already collected it. So what do I know!?

5. Since the data out there (for example from (FF) This Sisko1 or Ditto) should easily prove that DB provides wrong data, doesn’t that amount to fraud? People are paying real money and make decisions of how many resources they spend based on the numbers DB provide for the shuttles, but they literally do not get what they paid for. A displayed chance of x% should represents a promise from the service provider that that is what you get. When you pay with real dollars in order to increase this chance, and you are not getting this chance, then, from my understanding, this amounts to fraud. If it were an honest mistake, that would be one thing, but DB has been made aware of this problems a thousand times, through the forums and through tickets. They know about the problem, they CHOSE to remain inactive about it. I am not a lawyer, but if there are lawyers out there, I am dying to hear them elaborate on this issue.

Comments

• Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Continuation of post:

If you have data to share about shuttle events, please do in this post. Please provide only event results, or at least give separate calculations for events and regular shuttle missions. Also, please indicate how often approximately a booster was used (or if you have it and like to publish it, do show the exact boosters used in the raw data). As I indicated, in my case a skill boost was used virtually the whole time (about 95%). Please do not post here if you simply want to state your opinion or give the recommendations to people just to let it go. This is a post for hard facts, if you don’t have them, please consult different threads. This thread is to provide data in order to help/force DB to deal with a serious issue they ignored for far too long. If we can provide hard evidence they will have no choice but to address the issue. Of course, if you have hard facts that would support that the displayed percentages are correct, please provide those too.

As for me I am not really sure if I will collect further data, simply because I am not sure if I stay with the game. The experiences described under 2. are so frustrating that I am not sure it makes a lot of sense to stay with the game if you get burned all the time, just because you do not throw incredible amounts of money at DB.
  • Options
    Not sure if this belongs in Engineering, until you see my data perhaps.

I made an extensive spreadsheet so I could track EVERY little detail.
    My Event Crew are:
    Niners Kira 4/4* 100
    Rura Penthe Reed 4/4* 100
    Nurse Paris 2/2* FF 100
    Major Kira 2/2* FF 100
    Captain Proton Paris 4/4* 90
    Combat Medic Paris 1/4* 90
    Tactical Michael Burnam 1/4* 90
    Cardassian Kira: 2/4* 70 (Not used yet - not sure why)

After first 48 hours of this event "The Akritirian Job", here are some stats:

Total Shuttles so far: 72 (first 14 were not counted in time, which were the ones that returned with 30 minutes or less, so below are the 58 that I started counting).

Federation Success/Fail: 13/6
    Bajoran Success/Fail: 13/6
    Klingon Success/Fail: 14/5

4 currently out on mission

# Shuttles started with 2250 VP, completed with 2750 VP: 4
    # Shuttles started with 2750 VP, completed with 3500 VP: 8
    # Shuttles started with 3500 VP, completed with 4000 VP: 4
    # Shuttles started with 3500 VP, completed with 2750 VP: 8

**No rhyme or reason for the VP changes. Doesn't jive with the Wiki at all**

Shuttle Missions (Successes unless otherwise noted):

Bon Apetit: 2
    Crusher Et Al: 3 (1 Fail)
    Delay Tactics: 1
    Departed Souls: 4 (1 Fail)
    House Calls: 1 (Fail)
    Insidious Methods: 4 (3 Fail)
    Interquadrant Call: 4
    Long Distance Call: 1
    Looks Like Rain: 2
    Penance: 5 (1 Fail)
    Pointing Fingers: 1
    Put 'Em Up: 5 (3 Fail)
    Reporting for Duty: 1 (Fail)
    Rosetta Stone: 1
    Security Override: 2
    See You in Court: 1
    Sick Day: 2
    Teach A Man to Fish: 1
    The Grass is Greener: 2
    The Invisible Plan: 3
    The Pot and the Kettle: 1
    The Red Wire: 2
    The Resistance Rises: 4 (1 Fail)
    The Right to an Attorney: 2
    The Unrepentant Okana: 1
    Thicker Than Water: 2 (1 Fail)
    Tunnel Kings: 4 (2 Fail)

I will report stats upon completion of the event, and supply my spreadsheet if possible.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Here is the spreadsheet. If Column E shows 2 VP rates, the first # is what the shuttle went out at, and the second # is what VP it came back with.

• Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason is that refresh glitches cause the wrong VP value to often be displayed. To view the ACTUAL VP value of a mission, tap on the VP icon in the lower left corner of the mission screen; the pop-up window will display the true VP value; this should jive with the wiki.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I'm not keeping track for the current event but for Ghost In the Machine I sent out 84 shuttles with an average posted chance of 85.68% and got 80.95% actual. A bit low but not enough for me to assume shenanigans...your mileage and analysis may vary.
  • Options

The reason is that refresh glitches cause the wrong VP value to often be displayed. To view the ACTUAL VP value of a mission, tap on the VP icon in the lower left corner of the mission screen; the pop-up window will display the true VP value; this should jive with the wiki.

No, I checked & these were ACTUAL values, not the visual bug!
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭

It belogs in Engineering, since it's either a bug or fraud. It is to make DB finally take action, since they ignoring the issue since the beginning. My hope is that if we can prove that the numbers are incorrect, they will take action, and if not...well, the US is the country of the class action law suit...

As for your data, it would help if you provide percentages...what is the average displayed percentage and what is the percentage you actually achieve?
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Here is the spreadsheet. If Column E shows 2 VP rates, the first # is what the shuttle went out at, and the second # is what VP it came back with.

If I calculated correctly, your average displayed percentage is 73.36%, your actual success rate is 66.13 percent, so more than 7% total off.
    You should provide this data in your sheet, such that DB can view it quickly and take action.

@DB: TAKE ACTION!!!!
  • Options
    Hope_F wrote: »

It belogs in Engineering, since it's either a bug or fraud. It is to make DB finally take action, since they ignoring the issue since the beginning. My hope is that if we can prove that the numbers are incorrect, they will take action, and if not...well, the US is the country of the class action law suit...

As for your data, it would help if you provide percentages...what is the average displayed percentage and what is the percentage you actually achieve?

I was waiting until the end of the event to post percentages, since they will change throughout.
  • Options
    All event I’ve been passing about 60%-70% of my shuttles. However my shuttles all range from 79%-87%. I would like to be clear in saying this is a much smaller difference than normal. Usually I pass 60-70% but usually my shuttles all read 85-95%. The RNG has always been garbage. Or maybe there are hundreds of people running 22% missions at 4k and landing 4/4 every time.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    No exact data, I'm sorry, but this event have failed a lot of missions, especially surprising were last 3 missions that failed with over 95% chance of success. Outside events, these pass nearly every time. In the events, shuttles with over 90% chance of success consistently fail.
    If i have only around 80% chance of success, forget it, they will fail.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Please post only hard facts (numbers here). No estimates or guesses. We want DB to take action and stop screwing us. This won't happen if we post our feelings, but we have to provide PROOF that we are getting lied to!

Spread sheets with all the numbers would be best, but at least post the following.

- How many missions did you do
    - What was the DISPLAYED average success chance
    - What was the ACTUAL average success chance

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes indeed. I am compiling data on the spreadsheet, and will have it up later today, including screen shots of the "misrepresentation" or changing of points during the mission.
  • Options
    I took screen shots before and of fails after. I will be more precise next event. Over 90% of shuttles sent were over 80% success and I experienced a 45% lost rate. One shuttle came back with event crew I sent on separate shuttles and failed. I've also noticed that a shuttle will fail just before a threshold of a big reward the majority of the time. Mainly when reward is a 4* crew. I also agree this sounds like fraud to me. By saying we only need to buy or upgrade more crew to succeed. We know this is false and solely in the interest of financial gain on DBs part. By definition fraud by my understanding.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I am calling this "subjective evidence". The reason is if someone else did exactly what I did during this event, sending the same shuttles in the same order with the same crew and the same boosts, there would still be variance due to the RNG.

This is the summary, with a portion of the spreadsheet attached for the breakdown.

Final Score 259700
    Final Rank 1608

Shuttle Missions: Sent Successes Fails: % Success
    Federation 39 30 7 76.92
    Bajoran 39 24 9 61.54
    Klingon 29 22 5 75.86

Shuttle Missions Successes Fails Total
    92 29 121

Overall Average Overall Success
    Shown Actual

Federation 72.69% 79.06%
    Bajoran 75.27% 70.82%
    Klingon 74.95% 72.00%

I could have made the stats down to the most minute detail, but I didn't feel the need to dive that deep for this exercise. (Such as which crew were on the most failed shuttles, etc.)

I continue to reason that the stronger the crew, combined with strong boosts in the right places give you a far higher % success. I used 29 different crew: 11 were 4/4* FE, 4 were 4/4* lvl 100, 3 were 2* FE (Bonus Crew), and the rest were lvl 90 4* & 5* crew, and a couple times, there were 5* lvl 80 crew used.

Most of my fleet that complain about shuttle fails, also don't have nearly the level of crew I do (and my top 12 are in limbo, or I would have done even better during this event.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    Oh yeah, VP changes DURING the missions: I noted several times during each day where the shuttle mission was sent out for 'x' points, and came back 'y' or 'v'.
    [Note: this is NOT the visual bug that has been heavily talked about, but the actual VP points listed on EACH INDIVIDUAL MISSION. I clicked on every ** one of them!]

Shuttles sent out at:
    2250 – came back 2750: 4
    2750 – came back 3500: 12
    3500 – came back 2750: 7
    3500 – came back 4000: 5
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I updated my data (link to spread sheet in original post):

overall less or equal 90% between 40% and 60%
    missions 414 272 60
    successes 298 173 29
    failures 116 99 31
    theoretical success 79.90% 72.30% 53.62%
    actual success 71.98% 63.60% 48.33%
    difference total success rate -7.92% -8.70% -5.28%
    relative failure increase +39.39% +31.40% +11.39%

It got a little better, but of course not because I performed above displayed average, but because the negative bias was not so bad this time. It's still 40% more fails than expected.
  • Options
    [DB:DB] Deb[DB:DB] Deb ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    My data are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ywy38T-xv9rwaosEsv2w5Fwe0l4n480t11NACqiQ6GM/edit?usp=drivesdk

There is a minor error in the subtotals, but the totals are right.

Edit: spelling
  • Options
    Here's something to consider that may effect success rates. This has happened on the last two events. Possibly longer but I wasn't taking screen shots of everything. My shuttles sometimes come back rearranged in order with different bonus skills displayed or on different shuttles altogether. I have the screen shots to prove it. Support claims they will monitor it but can't action due to incomplete information. Here I was thinking a picture speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Here's the response from support. Excuse the grammar. It's a direct quote. "This is a new issue about missions returning with different crew and as we could not confirm its certainty due to incomplete information. We have yet to receive widespread reports of this and based on your report we will monitor for data specific to this issue, and submit any findings to the engineering team for investigation."
  • Options
    Er... I have every screenshot from both past 2 events, and I have logged every freakin one of them on a spreadsheet. The order shown when the shuttle returns is often reversed from the original order, but NOT different crew, and NOT different missions. If you wait until all the missions have returned, they are out of sequence from the order you sent them in, yes.

If you want me to post all 600+ screencaps...well, no I'm not going to do that, but rest assured it is a visual anomaly just like when you see one number on the faction for VP points, and it is a different value when you send from what you saw, and sometimes a different value when the mission returns from when it left.

I have all the proof you need. PM me if you want a selection of screencaps to show you what I mean.
  • Options
    I understand what your saying. I’m mean they actually moved my crew to different shuttles. I have them leaving on one and returning on separate ones
  • Options
    Other thing I spoke of was different bonus skills. Sending giving a bonus to security and returning showing science for example. How is one to know if it’s just a display glitch or the serving mixing things up and that being a cause for some failures. If it is the server, switching skills could drastically reduce success rates. There’s no way to tell this as we are only privy to that info before we send.
  • Options
    How can you tell if a shuttle comes back with a different bonus? That is not displayed anywhere.
  • Options
    Shows icon in the corner of picture
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ah, we are talking about different things. You are referring to 'bonus', but talking about VP points. That is a point I have been making for several months, and have tracked and logged it for the past few Faction events to show it is not a visual bug as some suggested.

Here are some caps to validate this problem. First 2 are what you were talking about, the order changes from sending to return, but otherwise no big problem I see there. The last 4 are the progression of a shuttle mission: shows points going out at 3500, added crew, then boost, then returns with 4000. This happens the other way more often, i.e. send out at 3500, and comes back 2750.

ovmf6qql132d.jpg
    j15r2f2hfftk.jpg
    1i71b4k7bjq6.jpg
    jqay50v9afdv.jpg
    anp4s1rw4dkb.jpg
    2fne8t8lphd9.jpg

• Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last 4 are the progression of a shuttle mission: shows points going out at 3500, added crew, then boost, then returns with 4000.

The last screenshot is a different mission. The completion text is for Fool Me Once, not How Are You Feeling. You can also see that the last one is a 2 slot mission, not 3.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/The_Daystrom_Award/Faction_Missions
  • Options
    That is something else I noticed when labeling my screenshots.
  • Options
    Here's what I mean about moving crewgylbaw2wmbxi.jpg
    2o7hsn3kuynx.jpg
    9angxnjoqwj3.jpg
    ltrvj0jq7svq.jpg
    fz94mdepkq3q.jpg
    gyzksjb1qcuh.jpg
    e5pwg5p916ba.jpg
    pzsm59b122ou.jpg
  • Options
    5gcgs7e21vz2.jpg