Home The Bridge
Options

This faction was NUTS

I've never had to try to hard to get the gold in a faction. 90m shuttles all event minus 12 to 14 overnight with 2x boosts. Very few failed all event. Still needed a few dil shuttles with 2.5hr boosts. Is this gold really good or were people bored?

Comments

• Options
    Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    🐈

cat

Hah, point taken.
  • Options
    I like Book, and I used to have a Maine Coon mix, and I was prepared to fight for this card. But I just got Seska, and had Braxton drop from a lucky begold, so I decided to take this one easy. Boy am I glad I did.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    It's not that good of a card, stat-wise, but I know, for at least me, I wanted it for the art. :)

This was the first faction event in awhile that I really competed in, ie: using rentals and consistently using 3* reducers (even used some 5* reducers); I'd imagine I wasn't alone in doing this. Also, events just before the start of a Mega tend to be a tick or two more competitive than other events. I easily got a 259th placing.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    It's not that good of a card, stat-wise, but I know, for at least me, I wanted it for the art. :)

This was the first faction event in awhile that I really competed in, ie: using rentals and consistently using 3* reducers (even used some 5* reducers); I'd imagine I wasn't alone in doing this. Also, events just before the start of a Mega tend to be a tick or two more competitive than other events. I easily got a 259th placing.

This was the most competitive faction I can remember.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    You could tell early on that people had tokens and boosts available to burn.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    For me it was the good art, performer diversity and being a Discovery fan. Plus, Manchester Black/DC crossover :) And while I'm a dog guy, Grudge is cool.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digging the character (even if the stats aren't as great as I'd like) combined with the upcoming Mega led me to push a little harder. Got my first top 1000 and even almost got into the next ranking tier (missed by about 70 spots). But it was a GRIND :|
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats odd. I didn't think it was that bad. I did a bunch of overnight double shuttles, but very few speed boosted ones during the day and ended in the 600's. I thought this was easier then many of the past ones I pushed for. It may have been the deeper bonus crew though.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all the doom & gloom posts about dwindling player numbers, the pointy end of events seem to be as competitive as ever.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    For me it was the good art, performer diversity and being a Discovery fan. Plus, Manchester Black/DC crossover :) And while I'm a dog guy, Grudge is cool.

Definitely Manchester Black.
  • Options
    Bound2FateBound2Fate ✭✭✭✭
    I briefly considered going for top 1500, but did not have the tokens and boosts to do so. But this event did seem more competitive than the last rerun/flashback. I finished about 1000 spots lower with a similar amount of shuttle effort
    Admiral of Historians of Starfleet Join! Looking for daily players.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have used 30 rentals and 100 3* time reducers. I had to play extra because I had a 13 hour drive during the event. Still managed, but it was a good 100K more than usual for top 1500.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going for the top 100 achievement - stupidly reckoned that a rerun with mediocre (stats-wise) legendary was as good a spot as any. Running out 6-7 shuttles at a time - all on rare time boosts so equivalent to 12-14 every 3 hours. Only problem was I had to run the 9 hour overnight missions or wife would divorce me.

After the initial boost run, was in 25th and already on 4000 point missions half an hour in - all looked promising but by Saturday lunchtime (100ish boost packs, over half my shuttle requisitions and some pretty brutal RNG later), was having trouble staying above 200th so cut my losses and abandoned the attempt. Dropped to 5-6 full length 95%+ each time and finished in 1043rd.

I also found that the event started as usual but it did not slow down as it usually does after the majority hit the threshold.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    I think another factor was the wide bonus pool, with four popular main cast characters with plenty of variants qualifying for bonus. I suspect a lot of players will have had much higher success percentages than usual for their shuttles. I usually only go for thresholds in factions unless I really want the legendary, because I generally find them a frustrating and annoying grind. I thought long and hard about whether Booker and Grudge qualified as "really want" and decided that they (just) didn't. I settled in to run lots of nine hour shuttles which would let me clear thresholds even with bad RNG, or give me some extra copies of Anastasia for honor if RNG liked me, without being a huge pain to manage.

But then RNG really liked me. 8000 VP shuttle after 8000 VP shuttle came back successful, thanks largely in my case to an army of Picard variants I've been amassing for love ever since I started playing. I was actually getting a feeling of enjoyment and satisfaction from a faction event! So I decided I would go for it after all (since I didn't actively not want B&G), starting to run 8-10 shuttles per wave. Coming into the final day, I was sitting in the mid-300s, so I decided to make a run at the top 100 achievement, sending out two final 9-hr waves of 29* shuttles each (one overnight and one while I was at work), with each shuttle staffed by at least one small bonus crew, so that even the lowest chance ones were pretty respectable.

I narrowly missed out on the achievement but it's still my best ever finish in any event type. Other people who collect Picards and/or Kirks and/or Datas and/or Kiras will have be in a similar position of having a deep bench if they wanted to push.

*not 30 - turns out you can only run 25 token shuttles at a time in addition to your four shuttlebay ones
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in the event thread, and as others have echoed here, there were many factors that combined to make this a highly competitive event. Although we are mostly examining these things after-the-fact, it was fairly predictable that it would play out this way.

However, I am puzzled by the view that B&G are a weak or mediocre card. They have a 1300+ primary - when did that become something to discount? Their numerical stats are very similar to Maquis Takeover Seska (granted with far fewer traits), and the collective seemed largely happy with her. I’m not sure how often B&G will get event work, but in a vacuum, it seems like a good card to me. Remember that the lists we keep of the top cards in the game only matter if you actually have all the top cards in the game. B&G may be quite a strong card for many rosters.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in the event thread, and as others have echoed here, there were many factors that combined to make this a highly competitive event. Although we are mostly examining these things after-the-fact, it was fairly predictable that it would play out this way.

However, I am puzzled by the view that B&G are a weak or mediocre card. They have a 1300+ primary - when did that become something to discount? Their numerical stats are very similar to Maquis Takeover Seska (granted with far fewer traits), and the collective seemed largely happy with her. I’m not sure how often B&G will get event work, but in a vacuum, it seems like a good card to me. Remember that the lists we keep of the top cards in the game only matter if you actually have all the top cards in the game. B&G may be quite a strong card for many rosters.

Agreed. He's the #5 base CMD in the game. His future event potential is the real question. If they have another mega of all DISCO crew he's worth having. If he hangs around for a second season of DISCO and gets more variants in the game, he's worth having. If this mega is an indication of no more DISCO bonus pool and he leaves the show after this season, then he's probably not worth having. But I can understand people wanting him for the possible future events.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Agreed with @Ishmael Marx and @AviTrek as well.

Seems for some ppl, if a card is not a Top100 voyager,
    it‘s a bad or medicre card. 😆
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slacking off Sunday morning might've cost me top 15. Probably should've ran 10x1 Hour shuttles all day Sunday but I figured I could skimp a little since I was in spot 7 but didn't have enough rentals to compete for top 5.

Should've assumed the worse.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with @Ishmael Marx and @AviTrek as well.

Seems for some ppl, if a card is not a Top100 voyager,
    it‘s a bad or medicre card. 😆

Agreed 100% - not only is Value Over Replacement far superior to raw voyage ranking in general, voyages can be staffed with decrepit legendaries and still make (and exceed) 10 hours in length.

Case in point: Imprinted Archer is objectively weak in terms of voyage strength. I forget the official total per the L100 spreadsheet but for me I think his voyage score is under 3600...yet he’s been on every or nearly every 10-hour ENG/MED voyage of mine (of which I have more of than for any other skill combo) because he’s far better than my next-best option for that combo and he always seems able to hit a voyage trait.
  • Options
    It wasnt the usual cruise past the touchline. At 30mins to go i was at about 650, expecting gold and dl. 30mins later at End of day id dropped to 1012ish, miissing the dl by only 1k pts. A lot of carefully timed missions seemed to land close to deadline.
  • Options

Points taken for sure and B&G is a really nice card. Maybe I do rely too much on the Big Book, but what I (and maybe other long-term non-whales) find is that most gold cards - unless special enough to warrant precious citations - are destined to become "just another 1/5 card" that clogs up space and never gets used. And I've so many of those that I just can't bear to airlock. Looking at you Bateman - when I finally pluck up the courage, you're first... :smiley:
  • Options
    I was hovering around the 50 mark for the first 24 hours - then over the next 3 days I fell 1700 positions. I just could not keep up with the pace - every shuttle group return I was not making up the positions lost during those trips. Plus very few fails - only 4 over the entire event.
  • Options
    I just thought the card looked cool. And, with a Mega coming up, I figured there would be some more competition in not only the last event, but also the next few events.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought the card looked cool. And, with a Mega coming up, I figured there would be some more competition in not only the last event, but also the next few events.

On the other hand, it's a mirror mega so Booker only gets a bonus in his event. And his event is a galaxy/skirmish hybrid. He'll help a little in the galaxy half, but won't be needed in the skirmish half. So he only really has a half event worth of bonus potential.