Home The Bridge
Options

10x Premium Pack Pulls Have Been Disappointing Lately

Bought the 20 10x pull last week, got maybe one gold. Bust my buns each event to get the 10 pull... mediocre crew and ships. I sometimes have better luck with the themed packs but not much.

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the portal update there are some new cool crew in portal. I have gotten some new cool people like Trevis and Seamus and others which make good avatars. TP has also brought in many more 490 and 390 dilithium packs. I am sorry you didn’t get the crew you wanted in your 20 pulls, I know how frustrating that is.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the portal update there are some new cool crew in portal.

And with the portal update, the portal has also diluted even further, making it less likely than ever that recent portal additions will drop even once (let alone managing to put together a 4/4).

While there are many problems in the game that could be fixed in a few hours but continue to aggrieve, I've always had some sympathy for the portal dilution issue. Unlike the other problems that are ridiculously easy to fix (and yet have not been), there's no obvious, clear path to addressing the bloated portal.

But TP have now had eight months to work on the problem, and I don't think they've even acknowledged it in that time (?). Enough is enough.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately I’ve been buying the intel deal then saving the dilithium for targeted packs where you know who has a chance to drop.
  • Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »

And with the portal update, the portal has also diluted even further, making it less likely than ever that recent portal additions will drop even once (let alone managing to put together a 4/4).

While there are many problems in the game that could be fixed in a few hours but continue to aggrieve, I've always had some sympathy for the portal dilution issue. Unlike the other problems that are ridiculously easy to fix (and yet have not been), there's no obvious, clear path to addressing the bloated portal.

But TP have now had eight months to work on the problem, and I don't think they've even acknowledged it in that time (?). Enough is enough.

I have opened about 15 10x portal pulls since the update and have gotten a Trevis, Saowin, and Seamus. Don’t forget that with portal update these new crew can drop from voyages. A New Eden Owosekun dropped in a voyage for me last week.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »

There have been plenty of suggestions to address the dilution. Here's an interesting thread on it

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16718/a-modest-proposal-for-addressing-portal-dilution
  • Options
    Personally I feel they have been better lately. Not only have I managed to grab quite a few of the new additions, I also got a decent amount of Begolds.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the same offer and got someone I could use in almost every pack so far. I'm opening one a day for advent. I got the final star for Marla McGivers FE today. Fourth star for Grand Proxy Neelix one day. Usurper Lorca from a begold. Fourth star on Admiral Ross and a second star on my Coffee Janeway meant to star my lizard Janeway.
    Admittedly, I still have crew from before the portal update I still need, but am down to 24 4* (counting 2 Voyage only) missing and have nearly 120 immortal purples. Still need lots of stars though.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I want to add that a very easy first step in fixing the problem would be to eliminate the straight drop 4*. Why not make a behold the standard? Even if it's just for the purple cards. It triples the chance of getting a card you need.

THIS

But the vast majority of my beholds lately have been all frozen...so it's still a wasted effort except for the honor gained from it.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    At the very least they should increase the chances of pulling a gold or purple at the expense of blues , after all we get new golds and purples every week but very rarely get a new blue .
  • Options
    Slick wrote: »
    I want to add that a very easy first step in fixing the problem would be to eliminate the straight drop 4*. Why not make a behold the standard? Even if it's just for the purple cards. It triples the chance of getting a card you need.

THIS

But the vast majority of my beholds lately have been all frozen...so it's still a wasted effort except for the honor gained from it.

I disagree, even if you have them all it gives you choice. There are events that come up where one of those behold would be bonus or event crew. The choice does not have to be great for it to feel better than no choice.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I find that saving packs until I have a bunch tends to work best. I opened around 25 packs 10x and 80 singles during the Enterprise mega, and about the same after the portal update. Both times the majority were duds, but I got enough new quality crew and extra stars on existing folks that I ultimately felt pretty good about things.

Couples with some nice 390 dil packs during the megas, and I've even chipped away a bit at my wishlist.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a lot of FF Beholds from the 20 Packs Offer. But, my but score was definitely Ticked Off Kes. I think I have most of the Non-Conditional Sledgehammers now.

Ticked Off Kes
    Killy
    Commandant
    Garth
    Survivalist Kirk
    Talk-to-the-Hand Sarek

Those last three were basically free for everyone playing at the time, and so many if us missed their value in Ship Battles. Yeah, some have a longer Initiate time. But if they are the only ones you have, still beats infinity initiate time. I may have gotten derailed. Sorry.

Main point was I did get a really good new to me crew.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    I think a six crew behold would help immensely, especially for legendaries.

Although UI work like that isn't easy given how many platforms STT supports.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.
    Put a Legendary "crafting part" in the SINGLE Player Thresholds at 400k or so. Once the player collects 8-12* Legendary "crafting parts" they can Craft any 1 Legendary Crew they want. This will encourage weekly engagement for months: essential for any game to succeed. It would also reduce the Portal issue by offering a targeted Crew with enough effort.

*Developer to determine the number needed.

They already have 1,500 honor at 250k. 50k honor gets you a legendary citation. You may think the 34 weeks is too long, but the basic concept is already there, it's just a question of how many weeks it takes per citation.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.
    Put a Legendary "crafting part" in the SINGLE Player Thresholds at 400k or so. Once the player collects 8-12* Legendary "crafting parts" they can Craft any 1 Legendary Crew they want. This will encourage weekly engagement for months: essential for any game to succeed. It would also reduce the Portal issue by offering a targeted Crew with enough effort.

They already have 1,500 honor at 250k. 50k honor gets you a legendary citation. You may think the 34 weeks is too long, but the basic concept is already there, it's just a question of how many weeks it takes per citation.

I know about the Honor sale for Citations. I've only been playing a few months but I fairly certain that I can't use a Legendary Citation on a Crew that I don't own to get a new troop. Or are you suggesting something else?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.

I know about the Honor sale for Citations. I've only been playing a few months but I fairly certain that I can't use a Legendary Citation on a Crew that I don't own to get a new troop. Or are you suggesting something else?

First you can buy a citation or begold any time you want via the honor hall. It's not limited to the honor sale. Second, if you want new crew you can buy a begold, but the citation is generally considered to be worth more, Third, they're never going to let you pick one of any crew you want every 8-12 weeks. This is fundamentally a CCG. Picking the card you want would destroy their revenue and unbalance the entire game. They sell the new event 5* for $50 and that's limited to the specific card. How much would it cost to get to pick from all the crew? And then to give it away for free every X weeks?
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    The best part about telling people you are having no luck from portal packs is that there is always a mob of people to shout you down, beat you up, and and rub salt in the wounds tell you how they are getting everything they want.
  • Options
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.

The ability to obtain a specific a legendary (in the portal) would be great. I find if I got more than a few months without obtaining a noteworthy crew I start to lose interest.

I wouldn't expect something like this too frequently, but one every 3-4 months would probably be a nice sweet spot. And if this required collecting things in events, especially as threshold rewards, I'd definitely push harder.)

Starport
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.

First you can buy a citation or begold any time you want via the honor hall. It's not limited to the honor sale. Second, if you want new crew you can buy a begold, but the citation is generally considered to be worth more, Third, they're never going to let you pick one of any crew you want every 8-12 weeks. This is fundamentally a CCG. Picking the card you want would destroy their revenue and unbalance the entire game. They sell the new event 5* for $50 and that's limited to the specific card. How much would it cost to get to pick from all the crew? And then to give it away for free every X weeks?

Well, limit to Legendaries in the Portal. Don't make it possible to craft "last week's" Legendary. Also exclude "Pack-Specific" Legendaries. Event Pack Legendaries not yet in the Portal. Tuesday Pack Legendaries not in the general Portal. There is a way to implement it that would not greatly impact revenue, but remove some of the frustration for players.

🖖🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    CRAFTING SYSTEM.

Well, limit to Legendaries in the Portal. Don't make it possible to craft "last week's" Legendary. Also exclude "Pack-Specific" Legendaries. Event Pack Legendaries not yet in the Portal. Tuesday Pack Legendaries not in the general Portal. There is a way to implement it that would not greatly impact revenue, but remove some of the frustration for players.

🖖🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿

They could also limit it to a specific set of legendaries that rotates or changes once a month. If a legendary you really want is in this month's selection and you don't have enough items yet, you could purchase them from an offer in the portal, the same way it works for honor offers during honor sales. So instead of not decreasing their revenues, this system might actually increase them. Not sure if it would increase them enough to pay for all the work required to implement it though.

A refresh option for beholds and/or two separate portals would probably be an easier solution.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    3 ideas spring to mind, at least two of which have already been mentioned:

- eliminate straight drops of 4* crew, making any 4* drop a behold

- 1 free refresh for every 4* behold (theoretically could have more refreshes for increasing amount of dil)

- given how many more crew there are in the game, maybe increase the guaranteed minimum number of 4* or better crew from 1 to 2 in every premium pack
  • Options
    What if a trifecta of FF/Frozen 4* could be traded in for a 4* citation or, at least, way more than just 200 honor, like say 2000?
    I'd still like to be able trade crew and schematics, within the fleet for sure. Maybe a fully fused portal would give you a chance at a straight pick of a dismissed 4* from your fleet mates.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Or even introduce a dilithium/merit/new in-game currency expensive 'super premium' portal that has a lower percentage drop rate for blues, but higher for purples and above (ships included). This way they can protect the ludicrous price point of the top cards.

I know they do this occasionally with a 6500 pack (which I've never pulled - are they all purples and golds or do you get blues in there too?) But a permanent similar type thing might be an option. It would at least give us some choice.

Either way, the portal is the roulette wheel that powers the gambling den that is this at the heart of the game mechanics. There. I said it.
  • Options
    Speaking of roulette wheel, they need to tweak dabo a bit. It is supposedly tailored to the individual player, but, once I max a ship or immortalize a crew, I no longer need those schematics or equipment.
    I got Assimilated Troi's Borg Plating today. She's in stasis. That was less Dabo! and more just the bo. (That was Mom's comment on it. She recently retired and immediately messed up her ankle, so she has been more than a little interested in my game progress during the day.)
    They can tweak the schematic selection a bit or substitute something else. How about equipment crates, boosts, currency, shuttle tokens, etc?